Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Ixiggle posted:

I know practice and playing more will help but it still feels janky and on purpose in terrible ways.

this is almost all of sf5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

this is almost all of sf5

Even as someone who thinks this game is good its sadly true.

alecm
Aug 20, 2004

Lorraine, I'm your density. I mean . . . your destiny.

Is there any more detail here? I can only use Google Translate, and it's really ambiguous about whether these ports are required for outbound or inbound traffic. It's hard for me to believe TCP 80 and 443 inbound are used. Seems like UPNP isn't used, for the PC version at least.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Ixiggle posted:

I really wish this game had more normalized blockstun/hitstun/hitstop like Xrd. I know all this poo poo is punishable and gently caress up anyway because I'm supposed to press the button at whatever arbitrary timing a certain move requires, and the buffer helps me punish as often as it gives me raw special moves. I know practice and playing more will help but it still feels janky and on purpose in terrible ways.

I think I'm with you, but how does Xrd normalise it?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Is a fightstick a good long-term investment? As in, are they easy to repair and maintain? I play more than a few fighting games, none of them seriously competitively, so I would be using it fairly regularly. An old friend let me know yesterday that he was having a goof time with SFV on the PC and I picked it up for the PS4, and I had a lot of fun playing and chatting over Skype. Playing fighting games with a controller hurts my hands after a few hours, and I was thinking of picking up a stick to 1) make inputting moves a little easier 2) reduce strain on my hands over long sessions and 3) have a specialized piece of equipment for fighting games (and other games that might be able to use the button layout) on the PS4 and PC. I don't want to skimp, and I was eyeing the HORI Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai for $150. I'd like to know if a fightstick like that would be something I could benefit from for a long time. I'm pretty gentle with my equipment, but I'd be pretty upset if I damaged a button a few months down the road and that was that.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Broken buttons can be replaced easily, they cost like $4 each and all you need is a screwdriver.

Sticks tend to last a pretty long time, and any problems you have down the line can usually be fixed pretty cheaply.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is a fightstick a good long-term investment? As in, are they easy to repair and maintain? I play more than a few fighting games, none of them seriously competitively, so I would be using it fairly regularly. An old friend let me know yesterday that he was having a goof time with SFV on the PC and I picked it up for the PS4, and I had a lot of fun playing and chatting over Skype. Playing fighting games with a controller hurts my hands after a few hours, and I was thinking of picking up a stick to 1) make inputting moves a little easier 2) reduce strain on my hands over long sessions and 3) have a specialized piece of equipment for fighting games (and other games that might be able to use the button layout) on the PS4 and PC. I don't want to skimp, and I was eyeing the HORI Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai for $150. I'd like to know if a fightstick like that would be something I could benefit from for a long time. I'm pretty gentle with my equipment, but I'd be pretty upset if I damaged a button a few months down the road and that was that.

I bought a mad catz TE in 2009 that I've used regularly since, including toting around to tournaments and local sessions. I've had to replace buttons twice, costs around 20 bucks and is super easy. Still works great.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think a good new stick like the one you're looking at should last a while. It's when you try to get the budget sticks that you get into risky territory.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ag Bengip posted:

I think I'm with you, but how does Xrd normalise it?

All attacks in GG series have one of 5 attack levels, going from 1-5 in previous works and 0-4 in Xrd (exactly the same, just numbering system changes). Attacks can have special properties on hit like launching or stagger or whatever, but for blocking, a level 0 attack will always cause 9 frames of normal blockstun, 7 frames of blockstun on instant block, 10 frames of blockstun on a faultless defense, etc, while a level 4 attack will always cause 18 frames of blockstun, 14 frames of blockstun on instant block, 20 frames on a faultless defense, etc. Therefore if you know the attack level of a move and how many active/recovery frames it has you will always know how much frame (dis)advantage it has on block.

e: For an example, Ramlethal has a move called Dauro that has (on the just frame version) attack level 3, 3 active frames, and 16 recovery frames. Assuming I block the first active frame, that means there are 18 frames of recovery, and since it's attack level 3 (where all attacks cause 16 frames of blockstun) I know that Ram is -2 when it's blocked, which by GG standards is safe since the pushback of the move is far enough that I can't grab her. However, if I instant block the attack, I know that it becomes -6 because level 3 attacks lose 4 frames of blockstun on instant block, and -6 is quite easy to punish.

More importantly, knowing attack level blockstun values allows you to suss out frame gaps in moves that cancel into/out of each other as well. A common chain blockstring that Elphelt likes to use is her far S into crouching HS. Far S is attack level 3, which again means it has 16 frames of blockstun, or 12 if I instant block. The startup of crouching HS is 18 frames, so armed with those values I can easily see that I would need a 1 frame move (or an invincible reversal) to interrupt her in between the two moves, and no such move exists in GG. But if I instant block, suddenly the gap between the moves becomes 6 frames (far S causes 12 frames of blockstun, crouching HS takes 18 frames to come out canceled as fast as possible from the far S) and so I only need a 5 frame move to interrupt, which is very feasible for many characters.

I'm not sure if SFV actually has something like this in place already or even if it needs it, but it's pretty cool and good in GG.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 26, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

alecm posted:

Is there any more detail here? I can only use Google Translate, and it's really ambiguous about whether these ports are required for outbound or inbound traffic. It's hard for me to believe TCP 80 and 443 inbound are used. Seems like UPNP isn't used, for the PC version at least.

My router died and I'm using a router without uPnP for the PS4 right now and I am now in matchmaking limbo, only being matched up with the street fighter hollows in the Dark Souls of internet connections. 5/5 matches had insanely horrible rollback on my side. I am going to try and open up these ports and see if that helps, or failing that, DMZ the PS4, and find my next router, but going from no problems with online gaming to troubleshooting hell feels bad man

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
For all the ppl that were thinking about getting the fight stick alpha from mad catz and haven't touched a fight stick in their entire life. Your not going to notice the difference between sticks and buttons and I've found a number of guides to help you mod it you absolutely need to on Google.

I've never owned a fight stick and I haven't played on a arcade in 10 years and the alpha gets the job done with some practice.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is a fightstick a good long-term investment?

From your description, you're basically the exact target for a good stick. You outlined all the reasons they're nice to have, and as far as maintenance, I don't have any engineering skills at all (I can build a PC and that's about it), but good sticks like Mad Catz's TEs are very easy to swap buttons and the like on. The wires have quick disconnects so there's no soldering or anything like that to deal with. My use case for replacing buttons has never even been that they didn't work; it's been purely because I wanted to redesign the stick and change their colors.

Basically, the $100-$150 range sticks cost a lot because they mostly use good Sanwa components to begin with, are a good size and weight, and are meant to last. Entry-level sticks use cheaper components and won't last as long; they're a good way to dip your toe in because you could swap all the parts out later, but if you're willing to spend the money I think it's worth it to get a good one.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

All attacks in GG series have one of 5 attack levels, going from 1-5 in previous works and 0-4 in Xrd (exactly the same, just numbering system changes). Attacks can have special properties on hit like launching or stagger or whatever, but for blocking, a level 0 attack will always cause 9 frames of normal blockstun, 7 frames of blockstun on instant block, 10 frames of blockstun on a faultless defense, etc, while a level 4 attack will always cause 18 frames of blockstun, 14 frames of blockstun on instant block, 20 frames on a faultless defense, etc. Therefore if you know the attack level of a move and how many active/recovery frames it has you will always know how much frame (dis)advantage it has on block.

e: For an example, Ramlethal has a move called Dauro that has (on the just frame version) attack level 3, 3 active frames, and 16 recovery frames. Assuming I block the first active frame, that means there are 18 frames of recovery, and since it's attack level 3 (where all attacks cause 16 frames of blockstun) I know that Ram is -2 when it's blocked, which by GG standards is safe since the pushback of the move is far enough that I can't grab her. However, if I instant block the attack, I know that it becomes -6 because level 3 attacks lose 4 frames of blockstun on instant block, and -6 is quite easy to punish.

More importantly, knowing attack level blockstun values allows you to suss out frame gaps in moves that cancel into/out of each other as well. A common chain blockstring that Elphelt likes to use is her far S into crouching HS. Far S is attack level 3, which again means it has 16 frames of blockstun, or 12 if I instant block. The startup of crouching HS is 18 frames, so armed with those values I can easily see that I would need a 1 frame move (or an invincible reversal) to interrupt her in between the two moves, and no such move exists in GG. But if I instant block, suddenly the gap between the moves becomes 6 frames (far S causes 12 frames of blockstun, crouching HS takes 18 frames to come out canceled as fast as possible from the far S) and so I only need a 5 frame move to interrupt, which is very feasible for many characters.

I'm not sure if SFV actually has something like this in place already or even if it needs it, but it's pretty cool and good in GG.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation!

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I've been looking at fight sticks too and considering a Madcatz, the HORI RAP4, and whatever shows up on craigslist.

The HORI seems great but I don't like how gigantic it is. And I haven't heard any reason for it to be that big other than if you find it more stable on your lap.

What I'm really curious about is if there's any delay or similar problems using one of the Brook USB stick converters for PS3 > PS4. And when you do, is that when you use legacy authentication or does the converter avoid that?

Hydrocodone fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 26, 2016

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

LawfulWaffle posted:

I don't want to skimp, and I was eyeing the HORI Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai for $150.

Before you pull the trigger on that (and someone else might be able to answer this), make sure it's compatible with standard Sanwa/Seimitsu parts. Mad Catz's high-end sticks come with them already, but Hori is using some proprietary ones and it would suck to be dependent on them for replacements.

In general some of Hori's lower-end sticks have been a total bitch when it comes to having the freedom to maintain them and swap parts, so do some homework on that first.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

the Gaffe posted:

I love no chip death. It's made for the most exciting moments.
lol at this sentiment

the possibility of dying from chip forces people to make snap decisions. having offensive options and capabilities limited while giving the defensive player a buff is anything but exciting. it makes any comeback less exciting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Hori Rap4 is what I use and I love it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

drat those Bison games on the Cannes Winter Clash stream where very hype. I need to figure out Bison pressure in this game.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's mostly good, but goddamn is it frustrating when you've got a guy down to a pixel for 20 seconds and then lose from half health because he confirms a super off a counterpoke.
Before I remembered there was no chip death, I threw a lot of matches because I went all "He's about dead. Hit a super and finish this!" Before they block my would-be deathblow and counter me into the dirt.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
But super chip causes death

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

alecm posted:

I never bother forwarding 80/443 and things always work fine.

Hydrocodone posted:

I've been looking at fight sticks too and considering a Madcatz, the HORI RAP4, and whatever shows up on craigslist.

The HORI seems great but I don't like how gigantic it is. And I haven't heard any reason for it to be that big other than if you find it more stable on your lap.

What I'm really curious about is if there's any delay or similar problems using one of the Brook USB stick converters for PS3 > PS4. And when you do, is that when you use legacy authentication or does the converter avoid that?

Hori isn't always easily upgradeable, as I understand it, so be wary of buying their sticks if you ever want to replace sticks/buttons.

The converters work very well; no noticeable lag at all. The only issue is that periodically PS4 firmware updates will kick them back into 8 minute mode, but that's fixed quickly by the manufacturer w/a firmware update for the converter.

I own the PS3>PS4, Xbox 360/One>PS4, and PS3/4>Xbox One converters and they all work great.

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 26, 2016

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I'm listening to these French commentators yell "mais oui" during this tournament and I've never felt so worldly.

^^^^: Thank you!

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Sticks being big are a good thing, especially if they're also heavy. You don't want a stick walking all over your lap if you get a little too enthusiastic with motions, as newer stick users tend to be.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hydrocodone posted:

I'm listening to these French commentators yell "mais oui" during this tournament and I've never felt so worldly.

Where are you watching it? The Capcom twitch stream doesn't seem to be live.

e; vv thanks!

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 26, 2016

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
It was on http://twitch.tv/gameline but it's done for the day.

There'll be ultra and xrd tomorrow with SFV singles on sunday though.

Edit: Winter Brawl starts in like 4 hours though on spooky's channel so that should be fun.

In Training posted:

It's funny that they've advertised this as the first stop on the CPT and tried to play it up but the schedule on Capcom's website just says "Sunday - ???"

Good to see the "gently caress it, we'll add it in later" attitude is not exclusive to the SFV development team but spreads to their web staff as well.

croutonZA fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 26, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's funny that they've advertised this as the first stop on the CPT and tried to play it up but the schedule on Capcom's website just says "Sunday - ???"

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

In Training posted:

I've found that question marks on an invitation usually just means 9:30.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if my japanese elevator has sanwa buttons. Feels like it. Next time I'm going to try double tapping a floor or just pianoing all of them

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I still suck at this game. I did ok in SF4 with Sim and Guile, but here I'm having a hard time getting above a couple hundred points before getting steamrolled. Playing with Necalli is fun, but I either destroy them or they destroy me, no middle ground. Sim in this game has enough differences to make him feel new, and they took away 3 big tools I used to rely on- jumping longrange fierce, fierce slide for knockdown, and wakeup EX moves. It's become really clear to me that I crumble against opponents that get in my face and don't let up. I used to rely on EX armor for that and it's really hard to break that habit. Gonna pick up guile when he hits and hope it feels a little more natural to me.

Also I can't get enough of Zangief's roided out victory yell.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
In regards to fight sticks check my post history, my last one broke it down and I did my research. I bought a Rap4

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Today's fun Karin fact: If Karin tries to v-reversal off of a blocked jumpin you can throw her before it comes out, apparently.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
rap4 comes with sanwa parts

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

interrodactyl posted:

Pretty sure the RAP4 comes with Hori HAYABUSA parts, and the RAP4 VLX has HAYABUSA stick and Kuro buttons.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
As soon as my replacement plexi and art comes in I can tell you whether or not Seimitsu buttons will fit in a HRAP4 Kai

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

interrodactyl posted:

Nope.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Klades posted:

Today's fun Karin fact: If Karin tries to v-reversal off of a blocked jumpin you can throw her before it comes out, apparently.

You can apparently beat V-Reversal with a throw with a lot of characters, I saw Daigo do it with Ryu against Bison.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

fnox posted:

You can apparently beat V-Reversal with a throw with a lot of characters, I saw Daigo do it with Ryu against Bison.

Yep, the v-reversals are strike immune, but they are not throw immune.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Here's a helpful video for those of you who aren't sure what character you want to play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ7M7wGYFzw

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Evil Canadian posted:

Yep, the v-reversals are strike immune, but they are not throw immune.
yeah, the first week of the game, i was getting tons of people v triggering right in front of me. i think a lot of people just thought it was a free cancel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Hey Agoat gimmie your digits in PM and I'll hit you up whenever i'm in your neck of the swamp