Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Pdxplaza are way ahead of you there.

Someone post those anthropomorphised countries represented as anime girls with grotesquely oversized tits.

Some autist on the plaza invented those. Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

Someone post those anthropomorphised countries represented as anime girls with grotesquely oversized tits.

Those are leaked design documents.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

grotesquely oversized tits.

clearly my nation's breast size should represent total development

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Oh I'm just googling "Byzantium anime giant tits" on my phone on this packed commuter train. Don't mind me.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
It will never cease to amaze me how well-versed Goons are in a medium they profess to hate.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Real time strategy games?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

okay okay I'll vote for Hillary

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

cool and good posted:

okay okay I'll vote for Hillary

Do want you want my man, doesn't make the original comment make any more sense.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

LaSalsaVerde posted:

clearly my nation's breast size should represent total development

World conquest would be therapy-worthy horror.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Anime.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Oberleutnant posted:

This is a terrible idea. I was hoping for some next-level bad Paradox posting, but found only horror instead. I had blocked those out of my memory.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 24, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Oberleutnant posted:

Here:

Historical Dictators as Anime Girls

WW2 Japanese Navy ships as Anime Girls

:japan:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Instead of clicking those links why not watch today's World War Wednesday.

http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/49903737

It doesn't appear to be on YouTube yet for some reason but I'm sure you'll live. And anyone who starts looking at anime tits Hitler is getting swatted.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Dibujante posted:

World conquest would be therapy-worthy horror.

Austria: "drat you, Prussia... drat you, and your faster growing breasts..."
Oh, I found a snippet from the old thread, might as well bring it here too!

Fintilgin posted:

The nightmare can never die.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Bel Monte posted:

Is that outfit Prussian Blue?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
im retarded

Nut to Butt fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 25, 2016

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Horsebanger posted:

Is that outfit Prussian Blue?

I investigated the horror. As a gay man (really drunk right now), it does nothing for me but I think most straight men can claim similar to be honest.
I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY

I'll have you know the bustier + skirt outfit is the white prussian flag. The arm bands/jacket(?) are like...a really dark blue (darker than navy). Someone should inform the artist. Not it!

Edit: Probably they're going for black leather now that I think of it. Art-wise, pixel artists don't go for pure black usually either.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Instead of clicking those links why not watch today's World War Wednesday.

http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/49903737

It doesn't appear to be on YouTube yet for some reason but I'm sure you'll live. And anyone who starts looking at anime tits Hitler is getting swatted.

They keep calling the German player their best, but it looks to me like he keeps committing unforced errors.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

dublish posted:

They keep calling the German player their best, but it looks to me like he keeps committing unforced errors.

Streaming + Unpausable + Tons of stuff to manage means you make a whole lot of mistakes.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I really think johan and the american player made a big mistake a few episodes ago by launching multiple invasions all over the place instead of one big one in an area that can be easily supplied, reinforced and given air support.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I feel as though they may have been better off playing a single player campaign and going a lot slower to show things off, rather than the chaos going on in the current game since no one is really showing off how things work or explaining the mechanics or rational behind them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, lots of the game mechanics (EG: Airpower) are basically not in use since they barely have time to move their land forces around. On the other hand, playing on speed 1 would be glacial.

I play Europa multiplayer with one other person, and we usually play on speed 3 in peacetime, pausing if something big comes up. We go to speed 2 in wartime.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bel Monte posted:

i would like to know more

Gort posted:

Yeah, lots of the game mechanics (EG: Airpower) are basically not in use since they barely have time to move their land forces around. On the other hand, playing on speed 1 would be glacial.

I play Europa multiplayer with one other person, and we usually play on speed 3 in peacetime, pausing if something big comes up. We go to speed 2 in wartime.
The best part of EU MP is when two people go to war and they both go "please pause" at the same time :allears:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Bel Monte posted:

I investigated the horror. As a gay man (really drunk right now), I will survive the Great Historine Plague of 2016 and go on to repopulate a blasted wasteland Earth.

Mans posted:

i would like to know more

Bel Monte has done enough. Let's keep paradoxplaza where paradoxplaza belongs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm mildly sad that the stellaris DD's aren't getting as many dev follow-ups anymore. I certainly rather them focus on actually getting the game done, but I miss reading interesting dev answers and insights. Now it's 15+ pages and 1 dev reply to the whole DD :(

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Agean90 posted:

Plantation owners in the south were so loving stupid that after the civil war they had trouble getting any labor because they didn't understand that they needed to pay people decent wages.

edit: also a combination of Jim crow laws and widespread discrimination meant that they majority of post civil war plantation workers were black.

Why would they? Not like factory owners were paying decent wages in Chicago factories in the 1870s.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Baronjutter posted:

I'm mildly sad that the stellaris DD's aren't getting as many dev follow-ups anymore. I certainly rather them focus on actually getting the game done, but I miss reading interesting dev answers and insights. Now it's 15+ pages and 1 dev reply to the whole DD :(

Obviously, this is because they're in crunch for the final stages of the game's release.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PleasingFungus posted:

Obviously, this is because they're in crunch for the final stages of the game's release.

Early surprise release confirmed!!

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Early surprise release confirmed!!
Seriously though has there been any hint of an actual date? I really need this

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm 100% fine with them releasing it as late as possible. Pour as much dev time/money as paradox can afford. Get the thing spit polished and gleaming so the only complaints on release are that you can't be racist in quite the right immersive ways. The longer it's in development the better game we'll get, the fewer thing that will have to be "fixed in DLC", and the better a foundation future development can be built on.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

Seriously though has there been any hint of an actual date? I really need this

Closest thing AFAIK is that it's 'Coming Soon' sandwiched between May releases on Steam.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Dibujante posted:

Bel Monte has done enough. Let's keep paradoxplaza where paradoxplaza belongs.

I have seen things that cannot be unseen. It's why I drink

As an aside, I'm super excited for Stellaris. I've already put away money for day one purchase at this point. Hecka hyped, and I'm trying to keep expectations reasonable.

Edit: I'm more excited for this than the weird MOO reboot actually. The diplomacy trailers...eesh.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bel Monte posted:

Edit: I'm more excited for this than the weird MOO reboot actually.

Yeah, I agree with this. MOO-clones are ten-a-penny and they're universally disappointing. Stellaris actually looks like it's trying to fix some of the issues the genre has (empire too big to be fun to manage, boring endgame where there's no challenge) instead of trying to relive the glory days of a twenty-year-old game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The problem with MOO remakes is that if I wanted to play MOO, I'd play MOO :shrug: They try to capture something that existed in the 90's but hasn't aged well at all. Despite all its flaws, and its dev being a shithead, Stardrive 2 is probably the best MOO remake so far. It has a good map structure, doesn't copy-paste MOO races, and does well with planet management and the trade system. It has a cool ship design system but it's hamstrung by combat being really bad and ground combat being even worse. But it's a good attempt and the announced DLC where they are adding Stellaris style sector management and beefing up galaxy size might even make it a good game.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Gort posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. MOO-clones are ten-a-penny and they're universally disappointing. Stellaris actually looks like it's trying to fix some of the issues the genre has (empire too big to be fun to manage, boring endgame where there's no challenge) instead of trying to relive the glory days of a twenty-year-old game.

The biggest issues are what you describe (and Demiurge4!) for sure. But I feel like they forgot the tone and feeling of the game in the process too. I feel like they're really learning more from what the Civ series improved upon, than what 4X games did.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Demiurge4 posted:

The problem with MOO remakes is that if I wanted to play MOO, I'd play MOO :shrug: They try to capture something that existed in the 90's but hasn't aged well at all. Despite all its flaws, and its dev being a shithead, Stardrive 2 is probably the best MOO remake so far. It has a good map structure, doesn't copy-paste MOO races, and does well with planet management and the trade system. It has a cool ship design system but it's hamstrung by combat being really bad and ground combat being even worse. But it's a good attempt and the announced DLC where they are adding Stellaris style sector management and beefing up galaxy size might even make it a good game.
I'll never forget how much of a shithead the Dev was when he was posting here. The fact that he got trolled off the forums and then ended development of Stardrive 1 when it is still buggy and broken as poo poo means I will never buy another one of that rear end in a top hat's games unless it is really good. And thankfully there are alternatives coming out this year so I wont be tempted to buy it.

Bel Monte posted:

The biggest issues are what you describe (and Demiurge4!) for sure. But I feel like they forgot the tone and feeling of the game in the process too. I feel like they're really learning more from what the Civ series improved upon, than what 4X games did.
I have not played Civ5 since they added Brave New World and decided that they would never be able to fix what is wrong with the game (I still cant get over that sieging a city is impossible because the built-in ranged attack will kill your men off before you "starve" the city out; you just have to direct assault the city till it falls, losing military units that took decades to build in the process). What has changed with it that they improved on?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 26, 2016

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
The new HOI4 DD is nothing particularly interesting. They show off the British focus tree and some of the tech options, but all of that information was already available if you've watched the stream. Next week's is going to be on naval game play which is something we haven't seen much of, so I'm interested for that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bort Bortles posted:

I have not played Civ5 since they added Brave New World and decided that they would never be able to fix what is wrong with the game (I still cant get over that sieging a city is impossible because the built-in ranged attack will kill your men off before you "starve" the city out; you just have to direct assault the city till it falls, losing military units that took decades to build in the process). What has changed with it that they improved on?

Mods got really good. Play the Community Patch - it even fixes your pet peeve with taking cities. (though I'd still suggest bringing siege units, that's what they're for after all)

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
I'm really confused with diplomatic choices being in the HOI4 focus trees. They appear to conflict with the standard diplomacy buttons. They seem like dead branches which smart players will never pick over some of the other ones that give material things like '5 free factories', etc.

If Germany brings Italy into the Axis in 1936 through the standard 'Invite To Faction' button instead of using the German focus for it, is there any point to taking it later?
If China is in already in the Allies, does the German focus of 'Befriend China' do anything?
If China is in already in the Axis, does the Japanese focus of 'Sever Sino-German ties' do anything?

How do any of these diplomatic foci work in multiplayer? If the German player triggers the Molotov-Ribb Pact focus, can the Soviet player refuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gort posted:

Mods got really good. Play the Community Patch - it even fixes your pet peeve with taking cities. (though I'd still suggest bringing siege units, that's what they're for after all)

Speaking about it (and sorry for the derail): is there any way to make this work with the linux version?