Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Sard posted:

I would very much like to see a group running nothing but Panthers with a single ERPPC and a lot of jumpjets each. A half dozen jumpy thundercats would be rad.

I ran into two dudes doing coordinated Vindicator dual-PPC poptarting once and it was surprisingly effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Coordinated anything is dangerous.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I just had a great idea for 4v4 game mode, we need to start "The Flying Taetae Airborne Attack Squad!" where you are only allowed to fire your weapons while airborne and preferably doing so in mechs that can pirouette while flying. The mechs should probably all be painted in bright garish colors as well. 4 spiders with 9 jumpjets and a single LPL would be completely amazing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is there any reason to GRF-3 when the Stormcrow exists?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Orv posted:

Griffins are scary brawlers and will win against a SCR at close range

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are there any fun ShadowCat builds? Seems like if I just wanted ECM and 2 ER Large Lasers I would play a Raven.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Orv posted:

The Griffin will win every single brawl against a stormcrow unless you never torso twist

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Internet Explorer posted:

Are there any fun ShadowCat builds? Seems like if I just wanted ECM and 2 ER Large Lasers I would play a Raven.

You can use 2 LPL or ERPPC, both of those are a lot better than 2 ERLL. You can poptart snipe with the PPC but firing both is almost 50% heat so it's really low dps 2xLPL is much better. Plus ravens don't get jumpjets. But the Shadowcat is a gimmick mech for the most part.

It can also do 3xSRM6 + 2xMPL, but the spread is really wide on those missiles because of the hardpoint locations so I've seen people using SSRM6's for shooting lights instead.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 26, 2016

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Orv posted:

Also, IS mechs are more fun and less sanitized.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Reasons why the Griffin is Good:

Great hit boxes make it XL-safe
Huge, all-encompassing shield arms with structure quirks
Can fit a big engine which means it twists fast
Jump jets
Scariest version (the -3M) has all its missiles in one torso and has cool down/velocity quirks so you can avoid having your weapons knocked out if you twist
Next-scariest version can fit ECM

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Washout posted:

You can use 2 LPL or ERPPC, both of those are a lot better than 2 ERLL. You can poptart snipe with the PPC but firing both is almost 50% heat so it's really low dps 2xLPL is much better. Plus ravens don't get jumpjets. But the Shadowcat is a gimmick mech for the most part.

It can also do 3xSRM6 + 2xMPL, but the spread is really wide on those missiles because of the hardpoint locations so I've seen people using SSRM6's for shooting lights instead.

The 3-SSRM6 plus 2ML SHC is a really good light hunter. SCR has a better alpha and is more survivable but the SHC can use MASC and JJs to get more shots on fleeing lights

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

Reasons why the Griffin is Good:

Great hit boxes make it XL-safe
Huge, all-encompassing shield arms with structure quirks
Can fit a big engine which means it twists fast
Jump jets
Scariest version (the -3M) has all its missiles in one torso and has cool down/velocity quirks so you can avoid having your weapons knocked out if you twist
Next-scariest version can fit ECM

Sounds good, thanks all. Now I just need to get in the habit of twisting more, it's my last barrier to not being total garbage.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

NatasDog posted:

So I've got about 10m banked at this point and I'm looking to purchase my first Clan Mech. I like the Jenner IIc on paper for the gotta go fast option, but the Arctic Cheetah looks like it can pack more of a punch but will be slightly slower.

I'm kind of wanting to get another light mech since I've elited the IS Jenner and it's a lot of fun to pilot, but I could even see myself grabbing one of the clan mediums. I'm not sure what to go with in that weight class though. Whatever I do get I'd like it to be fun since I'd prefer to commit to the chassis and elite it before moving on to another.

Any suggestions, goons?

Jenner IICs are significantly more expensive than the Cheetahs, because Cheetahs are omnimechs and Jenner IICs are not. This means that, aside from the CT, you can mix and match body parts on the Cheetahs as desired, but you can't customize the individual body parts beyond what weapons you put in the empty slots. You can't add endo-steel or ferro to any omnimechs that don't have them, for example, nor can you change out the engine or the engine's heatsinks.

In practice, what this means for the Jenner is that in order to mount your desired class of weaponry on the Jenner IIC, you'll invariably end up buying a somewhat smaller engine than the 315 clan XL it comes with, which will run you between 4-5million cbills. Additionally, because the Jenner IIC variants are a sliding scale between "all energy hardpoints" and "all missile hardpoints", you might find that you want a different size engine for each variant, which would mean that instead of purchasing a single clan XL, you might purchase three of varying sizes. In fairness, you could sell the engines you're _not_ using and/or pick the smallest engine you'll need to make any of your chosen variants work and swap it between variants.

In general, I would not recommend you go straight for a Jenner IIC. The typical recommendation for babby's First Clan Mech is to buy either a Stormcrow or a Timber Wolf. Stormcrows and Timber Wolves are guaranteed Good Mechs, there are many solid builds available to choose between, and both mechs punch at the top of their weight class.

If you have your heart absolutely set on buying a clan light, buy an Arctic Cheetah. It's significantly cheaper overall and the customization ability means that you can tweak multiple chassis and leave them, or sell the extra chassis and trade out omnipods on your one (elited/mastered) chassis if you feel like changing it up. Jenner IICs are a more challenging mech to play well, and can be very frustrating. Cheetahs have ECM and are far more forgiving.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Orv posted:

Sounds good, thanks all. Now I just need to get in the habit of twisting more, it's my last barrier to not being total garbage.

Here's what convinced me how powerful it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgJ48Jyn1dY

you can descend on isolated targets, kill them, and move out very quickly

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've been trying to work on torso twisting, how far should I be turning? 90 degrees or is less ok? When spectating, I see a lot of people only turn 45 degrees or so. I'm spectating tier 5, so I'm worried I'm trying to learn from idiots.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Olesh posted:

Clan Mech :words:

Thanks for the info on the omnimechs, I wasn't aware of the way you can swap around components on them at all. This changes everything. I'm no newbird when it comes to MWO, but I quit the beta before the clan stuff was added and stopped paying attention.

It sounds like the Cheetah might be right up my alley, even though I really have a soft spot for the Jenner. Based on how I'm reading what you're saying I could buy an ACH-PRIME and later buy a ACH-C and swap the arms between them for a Frankencheetah with 6 Energy hard points instead of the stock 4 Energy and 2 Missle, right? No matter how you do it you're going to be stuck with 4E/2M or 6E hard points though, so it looks like the only real difference will be whether or not you slot ECM in the LT in the Cheetah's case.

The Stormcrow looks like it could be interesting and the Timber Wolf looks like a beast too. Both offer some crazy options for swapping hard points to do whatever you want with them. That said, I'd have to grind a bit more before I could get either of them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

taqueso posted:

I've been trying to work on torso twisting, how far should I be turning? 90 degrees or is less ok? When spectating, I see a lot of people only turn 45 degrees or so. I'm spectating tier 5, so I'm worried I'm trying to learn from idiots.

it varies honestly. if I'm playing an Atlas and leading a charge I want to twist in such a way that the mech I'm facing can only hit my arm. that's about 90 degrees. If I'm fighting with another 'mech and he's firing lasers at me, I might not want to twist quite that much because I just want to spread the damage

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

NatasDog posted:

That looks very similar to the one I theorycrafted together after reading Commoners' post. JR7-IIC

Any reason for stuffing ammo in the arms? Seems like it'd be safer in the legs or torso and that way you could still make use of it if you manage to lose an arm.

People don't aim for Jenner arms, they aim for the legs and torso. Ammo explosions in the legs and torso are also more of a liability; lose an arm and you're out some firepower, lose a leg and you're basically doomed. Losing one side torso on a Clan mech isn't a death sentence but I'd still rather have my arm blow up.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

NatasDog posted:

It sounds like the Cheetah might be right up my alley, even though I really have a soft spot for the Jenner. Based on how I'm reading what you're saying I could buy an ACH-PRIME and later buy a ACH-C and swap the arms between them for a Frankencheetah with 6 Energy hard points instead of the stock 4 Energy and 2 Missle, right? No matter how you do it you're going to be stuck with 4E/2M or 6E hard points though, so it looks like the only real difference will be whether or not you slot ECM in the LT in the Cheetah's case.
You wouldn't even need to buy the ACH-C, you can just purchase the components you want directly.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
trip report Black Knight

I'm using this one from Metamechs (actually two tons underweight 'cause I don't have an XL 350 yet)

BL-7-KNT-L

the low mounts are of course an issue, buuuut

a) that's a 58-point alpha at skirmish range

b) it's a 58-point alpha that, with the duration bonus, doesn't take all that long to happen

c) the structure bonuses make it very tough to kill

will probably be a lot better once it's elited, but it's no joke right now

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

People don't aim for Jenner arms, they aim for the legs and torso. Ammo explosions in the legs and torso are also more of a liability; lose an arm and you're out some firepower, lose a leg and you're basically doomed. Losing one side torso on a Clan mech isn't a death sentence but I'd still rather have my arm blow up.
According to the Mechlab everything is CASE protected on the IIc anyway, so I guess it's a moot point. Is that some kind of clan perk or a bug in the Mechlab when looking at unowned mechs?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

NatasDog posted:

According to the Mechlab everything is CASE protected on the IIc anyway, so I guess it's a moot point. Is that some kind of clan perk or a bug in the Mechlab when looking at unowned mechs?

all clan mechs get CASE for free

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
All clan mechs have case built in.

Crap sale again. Sale on Resistance 2 and IIC origins MC only discounted no c bill discount no package discount.

Edit: it's actually cheaper to straight up buy the packages instead of buying it with MC while on sale. :pgi:

Raged fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 26, 2016

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

NatasDog posted:

It's not a moot point. People will be shooting at your legs, and as soon as the armor is stripped, you're vulnerable to crit hits on ammo stored there. If it's hit and explodes you lose the leg instantly. Better to keep the ammo in your arms and ensure that enemies have to chew through all the structure points in your legs. Same basic deal with torsos; if you have an open ST you don't want a pile of ammo in there waiting to explode and instantly wreck it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
so folks who have the Wolfhound -- I hear it's actually Good? tough to kill and the torso laser mounts are all very close, allowing for good convergence?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Hate to be contrarian on the 6 srm4 jenner but it gets ghost heat. I run it as two 6's in the ct, two 4's and 2's in the arm. Same damage no extra heat, it works just fine.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

Here's what convinced me how powerful it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgJ48Jyn1dY

you can descend on isolated targets, kill them, and move out very quickly

Juju makes everything look good though. But yes, the 3M/2N are awesome mechs. The 2N gets the benefit of actually sneaking up on poo poo while the 3M has the benefit of having a completely side shield.

That said, I would never ever put an XL in a Griffin. Especially the 3M. Keep twisting to the right, live forever.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Little off topic, but I made a twitch account for the first time to remind Russ about the Ban Wave. What is this poo poo where people pay $5 a month for stupid emotes and other bullshit. People really do this?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Pattonesque posted:

so folks who have the Wolfhound -- I hear it's actually Good? tough to kill and the torso laser mounts are all very close, allowing for good convergence?

I got it as a bonus for the Crab and didn't expect anything out of it, but was pleasantly surprised by it. It's not as goofy fun as the Spider or Panther or as good against fat butts as the Oxide. It can't even jump. But that just gives it more excuse to dedicate 100% of its weight to speed and lasers. It's the mean barking dog in your teams backyard that murders would-be flankers and supports bigger mechs with super pinpoint laser strikes. The [R] version even has a slick special head model instead of stupid bike racks.

It just looks really dang cool with the chest lasers and gun arm. You can give in to the urge to be dumb sometimes and put a big laser in the arm and small pulse lasers in the chest and reenact scenes from the 1993 classic Robot Wars.

e: that last bit is actually the #1 feature.

Sard fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 27, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Sard posted:

I got it as a bonus for the Crab and didn't expect anything out of it, but was pleasantly surprised by it. It's not as goofy fun as the Spider or Panther or as good against fat butts as the Oxide. It can't even jump. But that just gives it more excuse to dedicate 100% of its weight to speed and lasers. It's the mean barking dog in your teams backyard that murders would-be flankers and supports bigger mechs with super pinpoint laser strikes. The [R] version even has a slick special head model instead of stupid bike racks.

It just looks really dang cool with the chest lasers and gun arm. You can give in to the urge to be dumb sometimes and put a big laser in the arm and small pulse lasers in the chest and reenact scenes from the 1993 classic Robot Wars.

e: that last bit is actually the #1 feature.

that's pretty cool. I remember writing it off when it first came out, but it seems like it has a lot of hidden advantages

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I do shamelessly admit im a bit proud about this...

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Willfrey posted:

Hate to be contrarian on the 6 srm4 jenner but it gets ghost heat. I run it as two 6's in the ct, two 4's and 2's in the arm. Same damage no extra heat, it works just fine.

Except your missiles are now on three separate cooldowns and you can't apply range/cooldown modules to all your weapons.

Most people just fire volleys of 3/3, neatly sidestepping the cooldown, the ghost heat, and the modules issue. You can still fire them all together in a pinch, it's not _that_ much heat.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

No weekend event makes me sad, getting little goodies is nice.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Raged posted:

All clan mechs have case built in.

Crap sale again. Sale on Resistance 2 and IIC origins MC only discounted no c bill discount no package discount.

Edit: it's actually cheaper to straight up buy the packages instead of buying it with MC while on sale. :pgi:

This is a joke right

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
^ you are forgetting :pgi:

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Olesh posted:

Except your missiles are now on three separate cooldowns and you can't apply range/cooldown modules to all your weapons.

Most people just fire volleys of 3/3, neatly sidestepping the cooldown, the ghost heat, and the modules issue. You can still fire them all together in a pinch, it's not _that_ much heat.

Specifically 21.15 heat (vs the 18 that would be there non-ghost). Given that to make this not happen you need to have all your launchers on different cycle times, not a good tradeoff imo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Raged posted:

lol

That sounds about right for :pgi:

Nineteen, I am once again sorry that your employers are complete and utter morons.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

The 3-SSRM6 plus 2ML SHC is a really good light hunter. SCR has a better alpha and is more survivable but the SHC can use MASC and JJs to get more shots on fleeing lights

Thanks for the suggestions.

Also, it would be nice if there was an arm lock toggle key. It's jarring going to something that has nothing in the arm mounts.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
This is the second MC only sale in a row. :pgi: going broke already? 19 you need to print out Gaben's talk about how cheaper prices on steam will make more money. Then staple it to Russ's forehead or his rear end since it seems that is where his head is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Internet Explorer posted:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Also, it would be nice if there was an arm lock toggle key. It's jarring going to something that has nothing in the arm mounts.

You can set a key to toggle it on or off. Just look in the key binding section.

• Locked thread