Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tenzarin posted:

The true test of a DVD, is how long could you leave it looping the menu before you got annoyed of the sound.

I would leave some on for hours too lazy to change the movie.

Man meth really does some hosed up poo poo to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think Cameron also faced a near-mutiny on the part of the British film crew while filming Aliens at Pinewood studios.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Nah, keep the turret scenes. That poo poo was tight.

I really liked these scenes in the extended version. Really added to the movie. Basically all the deleted ones for aliens.

Lady Naga posted:

Man meth really does some hosed up poo poo to you.

I was like in the room doing other stuff, not just watching the matrix animated menu over and over.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 27, 2016

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Wild T posted:

A lot of the commentaries seem to speak highly of her, I don't think she was being a bitch*. Like others have said, I think she was genuinely uninterested in rehashing the series but the studios offered so much scratch she couldn't say no. She did often bring up her own ideas for the franchise, but the big difference was early on she didn't have the pull to influence production.

About the closest I remember is a hilarious segment where James Cameron talks about Sigourney coming to him in confidence and asking if it was necessary for Ripley to have a gun in the third act, as she was very uncomfortable with the idea. He took her out to a range with one of the Thompsons they used as pulse rifle props and had her blast a magazine downrange. She wildly unloaded the subgun, turned towards him wide-eyed and said "that was fun."

*Then again, there's a chance that she may have been and Fox simply said "we don't care, no badmouthing the star of the franchise in the commentary."

Oh my God, if there's anyone out there that loves the Alien movies but doesn't have the Quadrilogy box set for whatever reason, all the delicious behind the scenes dirt you get on each movie is worth the price on its own - these are NOT the typical PR interviews you get in most special features, and everyone is amusingly candid about how every one of these movies was complete hell to make.

Some of my favorite anecdotes from the Alien movies include the above quoted as well as:

- Cameron recounts a time Sigourney Weaver comes up to him and tells him she's having trouble with character motivation: she doesn't believe Ripley would truly hate the alien. Cameron replies (and you can just picture him rolling his eyes at her) "of course she hates the alien, it killed all her acquaintances and ruined her life". He eventually has to frame the story in terms of Ripley's desire to help people in order to satisfy Weaver. Cameron sounds like he has to bite his tongue else he'd remark, "Women, amirite?"

(Actually, I don't think Weaver is all that off base - if a lion killed my friends and ruined my life I would probably be traumatized but I don't think I would be, like, inspired to exterminate the entire species of lions. That said, "why does Ripley hate the alien" does sound pretty asinine at first).

- Things got heated on the set of the original Alien between Yaphet Kotto and Sigourney Weaver - apparently in the scene where Ripley yells at Parker to "shut up" that is literally Sigourney Weaver telling Kotto to shut up so she can say her line.

Apparently Kotto had nothing personal against Weaver and he was just trying to stay in character, but it's hard to say because the whole thing is told second hand by Veronica Cartwright in full-on "scatterbrained chainsmoking gossipy middle-aged lady" mode, down to her doing an imitation of Kotto ("I'm 250 pounds, black as can be, I ain't taking orders from no skinny white bitch!")

- Urban legend has it that Weaver negotiated an extra one or two million dollars for shaving her head in Alien 3. I read an interview from her taken at the time where she denies this (in this same interview she swears she won't do another Alien movie, though, so...).

However we do know that they eventually had to reshoot the ending. By this time Weaver's hair had started growing back and her contract said she had to receive a bonus if she shaved her head again. Rather than pay out the bonus, it was cheaper for 20th Cent Fox to instead develop the most advanced bald cap ever made at the time and shoot with that.

- HR Giger, along with his girlfriend, would visit the set of Alien wearing a black cape and apparently he completely creeped out much of the crew with his odd demeanor.

- The producer of Aliens was Cameron's wife at the time, Gale Anne Hurd, and apparently she was a big fan of threatening to fire any crew member who disagreed with her or Cameron. She did the same to James Horner when he told her he simply couldn't complete the score on the schedule they gave him. He called her bluff.

(She did actually fire the movie's assistant director, but from the sounds of it he was a big jackass...)

- I was not kidding in my other post about Weaver taking another actress's outfit:

"Alien Resurrection posted:

Ripley's outfit was going to be a different one than the dark red uniform she is wearing for the most of the film. After Sigourney Weaver saw Kim Flowers (Hillard) on the set, she wanted to wear the same costume. Hillard can be seen in the exact same outfit in the underwater scene.

- I can't find a source for this IMDB bit, but I can just picture her saying this:

quote:

Sigourney Weaver originally refused to do a fourth Alien film. When asked why she changed her mind, she replied, "They basically drove a dumptruck full of money to my house".

- Dan O'Bannon, on-screen, accuses the producers of changing all the character names in his Alien script simply in order to dick him out of royalties.

lizardman fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 27, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

lizardman posted:

the Quadrilogy box set

Theres a video on there for aliens where some guy says cameron could shoot the fall of the roman empire with 3 guys and a bush. It was used to describe how they only had 6 aliens costumes to make the movie but make it look like a poo poo ton more.

I had the dvd set, the animated menu were very annoying. I would rate them a 4/5.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 27, 2016

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

The true test of a DVD, is how long could you leave it looping the menu before you got annoyed of the sound.

I would leave some on for hours too lazy to change the movie.

Alien 3 was because Fox was to cheap to buy a good script.

That's not accurate, they bought all the scripts. The problem is that by the time they picked one, they had no money left.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Snowman_McK posted:

That's not accurate, they bought all the scripts. The problem is that by the time they picked one, they had no money left.

Imagine going to get icecream and you spend all your money on cones. Alien 3.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The initial "wooden planet" script for A3 is pretty interesting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Imagine going to get icecream and you spend all your money on cones. Alien 3.

This is a beautiful analogy.

It really had a tortured production history. There was a teaser trailer that stated, in no ambiguous terms, that the Aliens were coming to Earth.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MrMojok posted:

I think Cameron also faced a near-mutiny on the part of the British film crew while filming Aliens at Pinewood studios.

This is pretty much every Cameron movie ever made, also the "call phone rumour" isn't true. :(

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

lizardman posted:

Dan O'Bannon, on-screen, accuses the producers of changing all the character names in his Alien script simply in order to dick him out of royalties.
O'Bannon and Giler/Hill really, really did not get along. Changing the character names and re-writing the dialog to be a bit more casual was probably the biggest improvement Giler/Hill did to the script; Dan used names like Standard, Melkonis, and Broussard, and the dialog was very wooden hard-sci-fi stuff. But they did totally act like jackasses and tried screwing him over on several occasions. You can read more details here.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I'm really looking forward to more David being David, although I wish Noomi Rapace was sticking around. I hope the sequel handles her departure well and doesn't just Poochie it.

Is she 100% confirmed not coming back? If so why?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

zVxTeflon posted:

Is she 100% confirmed not coming back? If so why?
I don't know why, but Ridley Scott did confirm that she wasn't returning. I'm phone posting or I'd provide a source link - I'll edit one in later.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lizardman posted:

- Dan O'Bannon, on-screen, accuses the producers of changing all the character names in his Alien script simply in order to dick him out of royalties.

And now he's dead. :smith:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xenomrph posted:

I don't know why, but Ridley Scott did confirm that she wasn't returning. I'm phone posting or I'd provide a source link - I'll edit one in later.

Actress doesn't want to do a movie sequel of a movie that wasn't good, when the rule of sequels is downhill. What a surprise!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
People keep trying to deduce who among the productions were the "good guys" and who were the "bad guys" but it's course too nuanced to break down like that because everyone involved is pretty passionate about their craft.

On those same special features on the Quadrilogy/blu-ray anthology you can see Dan O'Bannon talk poo poo about the stuff Giler and Walter Hill pulled and then the next minute mention how Hill is brilliant because the entire Bishop/corporate android subplot was his idea. James Cameron talks about how him and James Horner were almost getting into a fistfight every day but also talks about how brilliant his editing and work for Aliens ended up being and that he didn't really appreciate it til late in production and how he chose him specifically to score Titanic years later.

With Resurrection it sounds like what Cannon Films did to get Superman IV made where when Christopher Reeves said he wasn't interested they were like "here's all the money that we were going to make the movie with also what would you like the movie to be about?"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The score to Aliens gets a lot of crap but I always really liked it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Aliens' score is excellent and only seems not so great now because of how heavily imitated it is (and from how the countdown music was ripped off for like every movie ever for like fifteen years straight).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The funny thing is that Horner himself imitated it the most throughout his career.

But re: score talk, the "complete" Alien 3 score is so great. I know Goldenthal got an Oscar for Frida but as far as I'm concerned, A3 is up there as his best.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Aliens' score is excellent and only seems not so great now because of how heavily imitated it is (and from how the countdown music was ripped off for like every movie ever for like fifteen years straight).

from what I understand it's also basically just a tweaked version of his own score for The Wrath of Khan, but I like Aliens more than that movie so whatever

Stare-Out posted:

The funny thing is that Horner himself imitated it the most throughout his career.

But re: score talk, the "complete" Alien 3 score is so great. I know Goldenthal got an Oscar for Frida but as far as I'm concerned, A3 is up there as his best.

yeah that's a great score too, very operatic. and of course Jerry Goldsmith's score for Alien is next-level.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

from what I understand it's also basically just a tweaked version of his own score for The Wrath of Khan, but I like Aliens more than that movie so whatever

Much of it directly lifts from his work on Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock, and those scores in and of themselves lift heavily from Horner's Battle Beyond the Stars score.

The only composer who plagiarized himself more was Leonard Rosenman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

This is totally true. I liked all the weird tricks he used to create a bunch of its sounds like using a gumball on a sustained gong and stuff. IIRC the flanged horn thing that's in many a 90s film (and Goldenthal's own Batman Forever/and Robin scores) began here.

I'm always torn on how much a composer "should" repeat themselves or not. Like on the one hand of course I want to hear new stuff from people, but then there's definitely situations where it's obvious the producers/director were like "I like the music in _____ do that." Not expecting everyone to be like Poludouris and crank out stuff as different as RoboCop and No Man's and at the same time or Flesh+Blood and Conan the Destroyer.

I remember Horner got a lot of flak for his score for Troy, but didn't he bring it from nothing to complete in like two weeks or something crazy like that? I remember he was a last minute replacement to Gabriel Yared's already completed soundtrack for it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 27, 2016

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There's some truth to James Horner being a one-trick pony (though probably more accurate to say he's like, a six-or-seven trick pony), but I love that trick so drat much I don't care. RIP, wish ya took a train that night instead.

That reminds me: not even the drat score composers came away from the movies unscathed from drama and bullshit! We already mentioned Horner, but Jerry Goldsmith harbored a grudge against Ridley Scott for rejecting much of his first submitted score for Alien and replacing parts with music from other sources. You can see him on the DVD saying "I still get people coming up to me complimenting me on the music to Alien and I smile and nod but I'm thinking 'I wrote that in five minutes'."

Rumor has it that Oscar voters "punished" Goldsmith that year: his score for Star Trek: The Motion Picture was considered a frontrunner, but they didn't award it as they were disgusted that Goldsmith had (apparently) actively campaigned for the academy to not nominate his work for Alien.

You also get to see Elliot Goldenthal express his disappointment with how his Alien 3 score turned out in the final movie - he's proud of the material but I suppose the way it was edited/mixed in the film didn't do it justice in his mind.

Seriously, they could just re-edit the title cards to be more colorful/whimsical and name it something like "Get Away From Her You Bitch: The Behind the Scenes Divas of ALIEN" and you could run the features as one of those talking head pop culture shows marathoning on VH1 24/7.

lizardman fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 27, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Actually, O'Bannon hated the Ash subplot and thought it was a load of poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Personal Alien soundtrack bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EgwIECOq8

I love those nasty low horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpW2AjQbdbs

The slow burn until the reveal and a full on sprint to the end makes this track own. I love the theme to this film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qDd9LF7QMQ
Obvious choice, but this is such an amazing piece. A perfect end cap to the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_o0nArWoCo

Okay well, I don't think the actual end cap to the series is all that great, but I really love this piece here. It's very tragic, but optimistic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

bonus

the AvP score is kinda weird but this track is cool I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4f6jT9HrY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEhZN0BtbLk

It's 7 minutes of noise, but I fuckin love it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

one more bonus. The Colonial Marines score is amazing and better than the lovely game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb4-9uETBxs

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

lizardman posted:

There's some truth to James Horner being a one-trick pony (though probably more accurate to say he's like, a six-or-seven trick pony), but I love that trick so drat much I don't care. RIP, wish ya took a train that night instead.

That reminds me: not even the drat score composers came away from the movies unscathed from drama and bullshit! We already mentioned Horner, but Jerry Goldsmith harbored a grudge against Ridley Scott for rejecting much of his first submitted score for Alien and replacing parts with music from other sources. You can see him on the DVD saying "I still get people coming up to me complimenting me on the music to Alien and I smile and nod but I'm thinking 'I wrote that in five minutes'."

You also get to see Elliot Goldenthal express his disappointment with how his Alien 3 score turned out in the final movie - he's proud of the material but I suppose the way it was edited/mixed in the film didn't do it justice in his mind.

Seriously, they could just re-edit the title cards to be more colorful/whimsical and name it something like "Get Away From Her You Bitch: The Behind the Scenes Divas of ALIEN" and you could run the features as one of those talking head pop culture shows marathoning on VH1 24/7.

They sort of did this with Alien 3, its making of documentary is called "Wreckage and Rape: The Making of Alien 3." But it's only called such on the blu-ray anthology. The title was truncated on the DVD Quadrilogy and heavily edited to remove some of the more incriminating bits (which was kind of weird honestly given how open everyone is on the others, and it's not like Alien 3 didn't make money or is completely reviled).

I meant to mention that about Goldsmith also, because again, that happened, and yet Scott chose to work with him again for Legend! ......and then threw out his score again completely for a Tangerine Dream soundtrack. :O Both soundtracks are excellent and they're all on Youtube now but like why did that situation even happen.

Alien 3's score is used very very effectively in the movie's first and final parts, but it does kind of lose its sound for most of the middle of the movie. I can see why he'd be upset with how it was used.

The first PC AvP game from Rebellion has some really good music. They did a good job doing knockoff type songs from Aliens, Alien 3, Predator, and Predator 2. They can't touch the originals, but in the context of running/sneaking around in a video game and focusing on that they're a perfect fit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyk4ewl_p0o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVzIOZWTrjE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEnCOICo4HM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTCnUfA6ssc

Humorously, the same person who did this soundtrack for a later AvP game, Extinction, and in classic Wrath of Khan/Aliens soundtrack form reused a few tracks verbatim. :haw:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 27, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Neo Rasa posted:

I meant to mention that about Goldsmith also, because again, that happened, and yet Scott chose to work with him again for Legend! ......and then threw out his score again completely for a Tangerine Dream soundtrack. :O Both soundtracks are excellent and they're all on Youtube now like how does that even happen.

A score can be great, but not fit what the director wants from a film. It's easy to underestimate how important the score is, until you watch some YouTube videos of something rescored with Yakety Sax :laugh:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I just love that about Scott, "This guy I butted heads with and who hates how I trashed most of his score because it wasn't a good fit is a perfect person to score this next movie of mine!" *half a year later* "Wait a minute..."

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

This is totally true. I liked all the weird tricks he used to create a bunch of its sounds like using a gumball on a sustained gong and stuff. IIRC the flanged horn thing that's in many a 90s film (and Goldenthal's own Batman Forever/and Robin scores) began here.

I'm always torn on how much a composer "should" repeat themselves or not. Like on the one hand of course I want to hear new stuff from people, but then there's definitely situations where it's obvious the producers/director were like "I like the music in _____ do that." Not expecting everyone to be like Poludouris and crank out stuff as different as RoboCop and No Man's and at the same time or Flesh+Blood and Conan the Destroyer.

I remember Horner got a lot of flak for his score for Troy, but didn't he bring it from nothing to complete in like two weeks or something crazy like that? I remember he was a last minute replacement to Gabriel Yared's already completed soundtrack for it.
The thing is though that a good composer can have a recognizable style that carries across the music they create without repeating themselves. There are tons of examples by John Williams where you can tell it's his music (Goldsmith and Goldenthal also) but it's still something he's never done before. The Aliens score bugs me every time I watch that movie now because there are parts in it that he flat-out recycled for other movies. The whole four-note motif being the most infamous one, though I don't think that one is in Aliens. Dude had talent but some of it was just blatant.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

bonus

the AvP score is kinda weird but this track is cool I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4f6jT9HrY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEhZN0BtbLk

It's 7 minutes of noise, but I fuckin love it.

The AvP Requiem opening titles are pretty great, it's the only thing from the soundtrack I remember:

http://youtu.be/Pzbyuy7tk8w

And while we're on score chat, I love Alan Silvestri and his work for Predator 1 and 2 own. The end credits music for Predator 2 is excellent:

http://youtu.be/0sXLla9x6EI

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan Silvestri is my all time favorite composer. But I was just just sticking to Alien/related to Alien films. But yeah, the Predator scores own. 2 more so. A lot more variety,

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

CelticPredator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qDd9LF7QMQ
Obvious choice, but this is such an amazing piece. A perfect end cap to the series.

Alien 3 really did have a solid score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGZxh-NG7FA
This one plays after the guy sacrificed himself to capture the alien in the Assembly Cut.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Whats up with space movies shooting dead bodies into space. Talk about littering.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Whats up with space movies shooting dead bodies into space. Talk about littering.

All space movies are just pirate movies with modern sensibilities and burial at sea is v.common hth

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Plus his body just had an alien snake with acid for blood rip out of it. Who knows what other parasites or disease it could unleash next, so they give him a solemn 'burial' but are really quarantining his corpse.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Goddammit the district 9 and chappie guy is directing alien 5? is it gonna take place in south africa? ugh

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ka0 posted:

Goddammit the district 9 and chappie guy is directing alien 5? is it gonna take place in south africa? ugh

It's going to take place in a futuristic unnamed earth slum (fimed in south africa). An Evil Corporation is experimenting on the downtrodden slum dwellers and have plans to exterminate the slums using the aliens. The plan backfires when the aliens become class-conscious and team up with the slum dwellers to kill all the evil rich people and expose their plan once and for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It's the fifth time he's made the same movie so you know he's got it down