Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

BBJoey posted:

superhot is the most innovative shooter i've played in years

superhot is how i would describe the shits i have after i eat indian food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

I have no idea what the refresh rate of my monitor is.
60 to 75 hz

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

a case of the burny bum hole

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

its probably 60

i'm a rebel baby

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

kalstrams posted:

what in oblivion is that

What the heck is it? Brilliant Pebbles is a unique and comprehensive system for tuning the room and audio system based on special physical properties of highly symmetrical crystal structures. Brilliant Pebbles has been evolving since its introduction 6 years ago at the London HI Fi Show, especially the number of applications, many of which were discovered by our customers. Brilliant Pebbles addresses specific resonance control and RFI/EMI absorption problems associated with audio electronics, speakers and cables, as well as acoustic wave problems associated with the listening room boundaries and the 3-dimensional space within the boundaries. Brilliant Pebbles comprises a number of precious and semi-precious stones (crystals) selected for their effectiveness. The original glass bottles for Brilliant Pebbles have been replaced by clear zip lock bags, which have a more linear response than glass. We employ a number of highly-specialized, proprietary techniques in the preparation/assembly of Brilliant Pebbles to enhance the crystals' inherent characteristics. The fundamental operating principle of Brilliant Pebbles involves a number of atomic mechanisms in the crystals. Brilliant Pebbles will enhance the performance of your audio system so your favorite music and even your experience playing online fantasy games will become a mind blowing auditory experience.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

apparently the port is terrible

it looks like steam beta made the game drop fps like crazy

good news theres a solution

dont be in the steam beta

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I like big numbers on my gaming rig and in my games that's why I play diablo

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I don't even look at my monitor any more I just have my rig in a closet and stream games to my couch

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm still trying to figure out whether or not this poo poo matters since we no longer paint luminous phosphors with an electron gun many times a second.

you're right, we don't. but with an lcd, there's still a refresh rate, where it receives whatever image data is coming from the source (likely the frame buffer on your video card). to make things as easy as possible, it polls a set number of times per second, i.e. 60, 120, 240, etc.

if your frame-rate is at or below your refresh rate, this doesn't really matter, since it means every frame is being shown 1 or more times on your monitor. but if the frames per second go above the refresh rate, you start running into sync issues, where half-way through drawing one frame your monitor receives the next frame's data. this leads to the horizontal tearing effect that sometimes happens in games

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

What the heck is it? Brilliant Pebbles is a unique and comprehensive system for tuning the room and audio system based on special physical properties of highly symmetrical crystal structures. Brilliant Pebbles has been evolving since its introduction 6 years ago at the London HI Fi Show, especially the number of applications, many of which were discovered by our customers. Brilliant Pebbles addresses specific resonance control and RFI/EMI absorption problems associated with audio electronics, speakers and cables, as well as acoustic wave problems associated with the listening room boundaries and the 3-dimensional space within the boundaries. Brilliant Pebbles comprises a number of precious and semi-precious stones (crystals) selected for their effectiveness. The original glass bottles for Brilliant Pebbles have been replaced by clear zip lock bags, which have a more linear response than glass. We employ a number of highly-specialized, proprietary techniques in the preparation/assembly of Brilliant Pebbles to enhance the crystals' inherent characteristics. The fundamental operating principle of Brilliant Pebbles involves a number of atomic mechanisms in the crystals. Brilliant Pebbles will enhance the performance of your audio system so your favorite music and even your experience playing online fantasy games will become a mind blowing auditory experience.
buying for my korean mmo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they took their name from star wars lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ayn rand hand job posted:

they took their name from star wars lol

i think that was the codename of those hypothetical kinetic kill vehicles that reagan wanted nasa to make

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i think that was the codename of those hypothetical kinetic kill vehicles that reagan wanted nasa to make

as i said, they took their name from star wars

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Two things:
1) James. We've had issues with James at previous events. Some Valve people lobbied to bring him back for Shanghai, feeling that he deserved another chance. That was a mistake. James is an rear end, and we won't be working with him again.

2) As long as we're firing people, we are also firing the production company that we've been working with on the Shanghai Major. They will be replaced, and we hope to get this turned around before the main event.

As always, I can be reached at gaben@valvesoftware.com.
Gabe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Space-Pope posted:

you're right, we don't. but with an lcd, there's still a refresh rate, where it receives whatever image data is coming from the source (likely the frame buffer on your video card). to make things as easy as possible, it polls a set number of times per second, i.e. 60, 120, 240, etc.

if your frame-rate is at or below your refresh rate, this doesn't really matter, since it means every frame is being shown 1 or more times on your monitor. but if the frames per second go above the refresh rate, you start running into sync issues, where half-way through drawing one frame your monitor receives the next frame's data. this leads to the horizontal tearing effect that sometimes happens in games

I haven't seen tearing since I had a CRT.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

more like dICK posted:

Two things:
1) James. We've had issues with James at previous events. Some Valve people lobbied to bring him back for Shanghai, feeling that he deserved another chance. That was a mistake. James is an rear end, and we won't be working with him again.

2) As long as we're firing people, we are also firing the production company that we've been working with on the Shanghai Major. They will be replaced, and we hope to get this turned around before the main event.

As always, I can be reached at gaben@valvesoftware.com.
Gabe
2gd did a bad thing?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://esportsexpress.com/2016/02/funeral-of-2gds-hosting-career-held-in-shanghai/
https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/47o9dw/2gd_yames_harding_shanghai_drama_megathread/

quote:

James "2GD" Harding is a dota 2(ARTS video game) panel host who mediates a panel of dota 2 experts in discussing the games that have happened/ will happen soon as well as the teams who will be playing the games. Think soccer round-table host, talking about the soccer match before and after.
He's known for being unconventionally entertaining (with British banter, swearing etc.), and Valve has told James to "be himself" for the event.
The working theory right now is that he apparently stepped on too many toes, extending one of his segments for too long and got released as a result. There has been no official statement regarding the situation yet, but the reality is that James is no longer hosting the panel, having been replaced by Jorien "Sheever" van der Heijden, the other host at the event.
There's more backlash as a result of very vocal negative community feedback about the tournament's production, which has resulted in the broadcast stream cutting twice today, audio issues as well as timing issues. This is evident in the stream over at https://www.twitch.tv/dotamajor, which is, at 8:42 SGT, still spamming "Bring back James" memes.

amazing
im almost sad ive stopped succumbing to fARTS

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

apparently the port is terrible

if u turn off ssao the game runs fine apparently

i guess for some reason you have to have a controller plugged in to get 60fps so lol but it still functions

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i wanna get another 3ds game. i already have conquest and xenoblade chronicles. i'm in between bravely default (the demo seems ok but kinda just plops you in the middle of things), a pokemans (though i'm probably getting yellow for nostalgia reasons), or one of the three zeldas though i've never been able to really get into the 3d ones. or maybe something else if anyone has a recommendation. on a side note it's loving impossible to find a copy of bravely in stores so i'm resigned to getting the digital pretty much.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

also how long does it take for xenoblade to stop being a little boring or is it always this way and i will regret buying it. i'm only like level 9 and a couple hours or so in though.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
cgs:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Al! posted:

you need 120fps for VR apparently

nah, 90

Citizen Tayne posted:

That's a function of the video card, not the monitor.

nope. monitors have a built-in refresh rate. you're right, that's how it should be, but it's not.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Space-Pope posted:

no. it also happens if it's below the refresh rate of your monitor. not tearing, but stuttering. if the frame is rendered twice, that's visible to the eye. That's why g-sync is great for both high-end and low-end systems.

it makes it way smoother and eliminates screen tearing. it's how LCD monitors should work, they update when and if they get new information. with the timings on current monitors you get stuttering and you're limited to 60hz, with g-sync and freesync that's all gone

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

BBJoey posted:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

realtalk late game mechanics spoilers:

the ability to swap into other bodies is so loving great, especially because you can swap into a guy right in front of you, then grab the gun you were just using to keep on shooting :allears:

also the story does not go to the same place as the original tech demo, also y ou should play it, also

SUPER

HOT

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

BBJoey posted:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
by the end of the campaign though i was just kind of done with the story segments and wanted to get back to playing as soon as possible

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cgs: succumbed, bought h1z1 br. not terrible, for $15 early access from studio notorious for loving up its actually reasonably good. shotgun deaths seems to be bullshity, but ive played for 40 minutes and havent slept in a while, so i have to convene with my bed and also unfuck settings before i make any judgement here. otherwise p nice, 150 players on about 60 square minutes worth of map, with organic progression of drawn out round seemingly concluding around 30 or so minutes into the game - of two matches i played out in 40 minutes, i did die barely making it into the 30 last survivors. besides ffa br, theres also duo br and five team br, and some zombie br thing i have no idea about. also csgo-style rng boxes with your pretty princess parts - i think you also can clothes and poo poo from as your victory reward

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't know if this really counts as a g

and i'm saying this as someone who owns a thrustmaster warthog

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

triple sulk posted:

i wanna get another 3ds game. i already have conquest and xenoblade chronicles. i'm in between bravely default (the demo seems ok but kinda just plops you in the middle of things), a pokemans (though i'm probably getting yellow for nostalgia reasons), or one of the three zeldas though i've never been able to really get into the 3d ones. or maybe something else if anyone has a recommendation. on a side note it's loving impossible to find a copy of bravely in stores so i'm resigned to getting the digital pretty much.

SMT IV

Mario & Luigi RPGs are good but i haven't played the most recent one

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

triple sulk posted:

also how long does it take for xenoblade to stop being a little boring or is it always this way and i will regret buying it. i'm only like level 9 and a couple hours or so in though.

it's a jrpg

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
beat firewatch

it was really really good

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Action Jacktion posted:

SMT IV

Mario & Luigi RPGs are good but i haven't played the most recent one

idk if smt was ever up my alley and havent played a single one of them

gently caress!!!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

neogaf leak goes that bf5 is ww1 game

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
got to a secret level in binding of isaac

beat up isaac

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

kalstrams posted:

neogaf leak goes that bf5 is ww1 game

that would actually be cool and unique. i can't really think of any ww1 shooters offhand.

remember when every fps was wwii

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that would actually be cool and unique. i can't really think of any ww1 shooters offhand.

remember when every fps was wwii
off hand i know just one ww1 shooter, a recent early access trench warfare indie for which i forgot the name. again though it's a rumour, so it could also be 2143 or eve something very different.

and yeah, i miss fun ww2 shooters tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I liked BF2143 but it never seemed to get much traction.

• Locked thread