Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hawkline posted:

So Muslim-hating Konni Burton (R-Colleyville) has taken the brave step of participating in a system that largely excludes access to the public while entertaining private interests via lobbying, and decides to formally cut off attempts for public sectors to use that same access.

http://tribtalk.org/2016/02/24/why-im-against-taxpayer-funded-lobbying/

Yeah, Republicans are all about local control unless it is Austin or Denton trying to make rules the legislature doesn't like, then out comes the old BS about "taxpayer dollars."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you don't like Konni Burton I'd recommend following her twitter the day after Ted Cruz drops out.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I always recommend voting on the primary for the party you support, not trying to spoil the other side. Which party primary you voted in is accessible to members of the party (e.g. Through VAN database), but your individual votes are still private. But this affects outreach efforts, identification of voters, phone banking, and may even keep you from running for office one day with your chosen party.

If you live in a county with competitive primaries for your party, you want to make sure to vote on the down ticket races too. Local judges, constables, state reps, etc are important as well.

Plus, even if you don't care admit Hilary versus Bernie, there are other joke democratic presidential candidates on the ballot you can vote for.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That's true, but I am 100% done with Texas. The day I get my degree is the day I start moving out of state and never moving back

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I early voted this morning. It was fun weaving through the parking lot to avoid all the signs and the people waving at me trying to get me to vote for whomever they feel is the most conservative.

The real winner of this election season is definitely the company (ies?) that is making all these signs.

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

I'm just content to relax and drown within myself
Me and the hubby voted last night in San Antonio and there was a healthy line and it took us about 1/2 hour to get through it (thought it was a small location). I couldn't tell how many of us were voting in the Dem primary, but I bet we were in the minority. Last day of early voting is today, though if you are reading this thread, you are not the great unwashed that needs to hear it either :)

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

blue squares posted:

That's true, but I am 100% done with Texas. The day I get my degree is the day I start moving out of state and never moving back

Thank goodness, bring all the californian wannabes with you while I round up another twenty illegal mexicans in my Ford F350 to drive them to the polls to vote republican to stop even more people coming to take their good jobs and lifestyle in the Lone Starred State

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd say those are positive indications for Trump and Clinton, as high turnout helps protest/populist candidates more.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

I'd say those are positive indications for Trump and Clinton, as high turnout helps protest/populist candidates more.

On the other hand minorities tend to vote early at greater rates than whites, which could make the Democratic numbers good for Sanders.

Probably not though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

On the other hand minorities tend to vote early at greater rates than whites, which could make the Democratic numbers good for Sanders.

Probably not though

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

zoux posted:

If you need any more proof that George P is a carpetbagging political opportunist temporarily here to exploit our electorate, here it is.
https://twitter.com/txglo/status/702848448962371584

This is not a debatable issue.

Beans are the one non-optional ingredient. George P. needs to go.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

foot posted:

Seriously, even the health food kitchen I work in knows this. Our turkey chili has both red and black beans in it.

Chili without beans is just...a tomato-y paste.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
nice bean soup yall got there

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Seriously, even the health food kitchen I work in knows this. Our turkey chili has both red and black beans in it.

Chili without beans is just...a tomato-y paste.

Please don't troll.

Shifty Pony posted:

Probably not though

Minorities are Clinton voting blocs, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

foot posted:

Did you move here from Cali

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
After a very scientific polling of everybody I know the verdict is in, beans belong in Chili.

The only ones I've seen who didn't want beans were overcompensating Midwesterners with "Native Texan" bumper stickers on their Prius.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Why is everyone saying that Texas is an open primary? It is not an open primary, its more of a semi-open primary. If you're not registered with any political party, you can just go to either one and sign up right on the spot, but if you've already registered with an party, you have to vote in that party primary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sounds like we got us some carpetbagging pieces of poo poo here boys.

You see beans in that recipe? You think you know chili better'n Lady Bird?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Luckyellow posted:

Why is everyone saying that Texas is an open primary? It is not an open primary, its more of a semi-open primary. If you're not registered with any political party, you can just go to either one and sign up right on the spot, but if you've already registered with an party, you have to vote in that party primary.

Nope. You can vote in either primary but that locks you out of the other, and you can't vote in run-off elections in the other either

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Luckyellow posted:

There's no such thing as being registered with a party in Texas. They just track which primary you vote in, and you're not allowed to vote in the other party's (in the same cycle).

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Numlock posted:

After a very scientific polling of everybody I know the verdict is in, beans belong in Chili.

The only ones I've seen who didn't want beans were overcompensating Midwesterners with "Native Texan" bumper stickers on their Prius.
I grew up eating beans in my chili and I'm from Texas. :clint:

The only place I've ever heard the no-chili thing is from goons.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

I grew up eating beans in my chili and I'm from Texas. :clint:

The only place I've ever heard the no-chili thing is from goons.

I'm sorry you only ate bad chili growing up.

Unless someone in this thread has been making chili since pre-1976 I'm going side with Texas Chili Parlor on this one.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You burn some mesquite
And when the coals get hot
You bunk up some meat
And you throw it on a pot.
While some chile pods and garlic
And comino and stuff
Then you add a little salt
Till there's just enough
You can throw in some onions
To make it smell good
You can even add tomatoes
If you feel like you should
But if you know beans about chili
You know that chili has no beans

If you know beans about chili
You know it didn't come from Mexico
Chili was God's gift to Texas
(Or maybe it came from down below)
And chili doesn't go with macaroni
And dammed Yankee's don't go with chili queens;
And if you know beans about chili
You know that chili has no beans

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chili parlor does have a bean chili though.

For vegetarians.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm sorry you only ate bad chili growing up.

Unless someone in this thread has been making chili since pre-1976 I'm going side with Texas Chili Parlor on this one.
Mom's recipe, handed down through the family from the days of yore.

And her mom was a cook at an Air Force base in Amarillo which closed ... in 1968.

Owned.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Must be the Midwestern influence up there.

We're Okies in disguise mwa ha.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Sounds like we got us some carpetbagging pieces of poo poo here boys.

You see beans in that recipe? You think you know chili better'n Lady Bird?

Poor Lady bird, thats just hamburger meat in tomato sauce.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Texas Politics: Something Offal

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Welp. An unexpected vet trip after work means that I'll be voting Tuesday instead of today. This is gonna be hellish.

Still leaning towards throwing my vote away on Trump.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

Mom's recipe, handed down through the family from the days of yore.

And her mom was a cook at an Air Force base in Amarillo which closed ... in 1968.

Owned.

oh if we want to talk chili recipes and not real life chili fixin' experience....

quote:

In 1977, a bill was introduced in the Texas legislature to designate chili as the official state dish, and one year earlier, back in California, Rufus (Rudy) Valdez, a full-blooded Ute Indian, won the world chili championship, using what he claimed to be a two thousand-year-old recipe.

"Originally," says Valdez, "chili was made with meat of horses or deer, chile peppers and cornmeal from ears of stalks that grew only to the knee. No beans." Valdez says he got his recipe from his grandmother when he was a boy on the Ute reservation near Ignacio, Colorado. She lived to the age of 102 and Valdez says she credited her longevity and that of her relatives to the powers of chili. Actually, he says, chili was invented by the Pueblo cliff dwellers in Mesa Verde who passed it on to the Navajos before it became popular with the Utes.

Also I'd like to point out that Colorado is just a modern name for part of Texas.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
There will never be peace in chili's bean/no bean wars. Just as there will never be true peace between San Antonio and Austin on the topic of breakfast tacos.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Quick questions for voting in Super Tuesday: I moved from north Dallas, Collin County to Irving, Dallas County since the 2014 election. Can I go to a voting location near where I am now or where I was?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Did you update your address with the county clerk? If not, (commit fraud) and vote in Collin county.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

I would have no problem with voting for Donald Trump if he included deporting all of Austin his platform.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Oil! posted:

I would have no problem with voting for Donald Trump if he included deporting all of Austin his platform.

If he could build a wall around us to keep all of the California refugees out he'd have my vote.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What are you all hearing around Texas as far as sentiment for the Presidential candidates? Any friends and neighbors who want to Make America Great Again?

A lot of rabid Cruz fans?

I've heard some negative sentiments expressed against Cruz by some very conservative people which surprised me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zwabu posted:

What are you all hearing around Texas as far as sentiment for the Presidential candidates? Any friends and neighbors who want to Make America Great Again?

A lot of rabid Cruz fans?

I've heard some negative sentiments expressed against Cruz by some very conservative people which surprised me.

Whole lot of Rubio on my end, but the conservatives I know are the fairly wealthy university educated type.

Some Carson too because hey, evangelicals.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

computer parts posted:

Whole lot of Rubio on my end, but the conservatives I know are the fairly wealthy university educated type.

Some Carson too because hey, evangelicals.

Similar with my Friends and Co-workers, they tend to be for Hillary or Rubio/Cruz.

The conservative minded are more for Rubio/Cruz because they are not Trump and have indicated that they would probably just stay home if it was Hillary vs Trump. They are just resigned to the fact that the Republican party is hosed.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

Nope. You can vote in either primary but that locks you out of the other, and you can't vote in run-off elections in the other either

I think you are correct with one exception. Lots of elected Judges and maybe even a lot of other local officials can get on the ballot if they collect enough signatures from their constituents. Obviously, they collect these signatures well before the primaries so their name appears on the ballot. If you sign a petition for a Judge running as a Republican, then you can't legally vote in the Democratic primary; of course it works the other way as well. I don't think there's any central registry kept of who signs whose petition to be on the ballot but, it's still the law; or was the last time I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

Purely anecdotal, but for my conservative relatives, it depends on the relative intensity of their racism vs their evangelicalism. For the racist, FYGM crew, Trump is the man. But the True Believers I know are rolling for Cruz. None of them care about Rubio, to them he's a RINO.