Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is there a way to split up stacks of stuff in the inventory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Is there a way to split up stacks of stuff in the inventory?

right click on the stack

Just found a geode with 20 copper in it by pawing thru everyone's garbage, hell yeah

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'm pretty new to this kind of game, I dabbled with Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town for a few hours but that's it.

What should I be doing outside of farming? Foraging seems like it can be a good way to get stuff, but I don't really see a lot out there to forage -- a few spring onions in that area south of the farm, but most of the terrain is just trees and bushes. If I chop down these random trees and bushes, will people get pissed with me? Will it all regrow? Can I dig around out there or is that going to ruin the landscape?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just found a sword with +2 speed, and it unfortunately only affects attack speed, not movement.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I was happy to see that SDV was the top selling game on Steam today. I've always been sure that this game would be a hit, but then I was afraid that SUPERHOT might steal some thunder. (It is the most innovative shooter I've played in years.) I'm thinking that it's high price is slowing it down, though. Its campaign is only a few hours long. But Stardew is going to get a lot more mileage out of its $15 price.

JerikTelorian posted:

What should I be doing outside of farming? Foraging seems like it can be a good way to get stuff, but I don't really see a lot out there to forage -- a few spring onions in that area south of the farm, but most of the terrain is just trees and bushes. If I chop down these random trees and bushes, will people get pissed with me? Will it all regrow? Can I dig around out there or is that going to ruin the landscape?

I'm not too sure how far foraging works, I would like an answer on that too. But as far as what else to do...

* Socialize - Don't be a hermit. If you don't have a social life, you're not going to get far in this game, probably even more so that Harvest Moon.

* Mining - It unlocks early in the game, and you need to mine to be able to upgrade your tools and so on.

* Fishing - Can be used to supplement your income, probably more so than foraging.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

YES bread posted:

Just found a geode with 20 copper in it by pawing thru everyone's garbage, hell yeah

wait what, can you pickaxe geodes to further generate material??

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Anyone know where the gently caress can I find leeks? I know it's from foraging but I can only find onions.

They look like white carrots in the ground. I've found a few just randomly in and around the town.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Emalde posted:

you take them to the blacksmith and he'll crack them open for 25g a pop, they can have artifacts and all kinds of cool poo poo in them. or garbage!!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Emalde posted:

you take them to the blacksmith

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Apparently you have to clear out stuff in the forest for more random wild vegetables/flowers to spawn. According to the hint book I just found, at least.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Really wish I knew I need to save poo poo ahead of time for town hall things. Or that you had to make the storage yourself but hey, that's what first playthroughs are for. :v:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I'm super bad at fishing. Like 50% success rate. Is anyone else using a mouse and keyboard having problems or do I just need to get good?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm on controller (mostly) but it's super fiddly until you get your first skill up.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shirec posted:

I'm super bad at fishing. Like 50% success rate. Is anyone else using a mouse and keyboard having problems or do I just need to get good?

I use keyboard/mouse, and I fail maybe one out of five times. I think it hits the mark of being difficult, but not too difficult. Usually fishing minigames are stupid easy, or stupid impossible. That said, I've only done basic fishing with the beginner pole and nothing else.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So I been stressin over some code that wasn't playing nice all day and now that I figured it out, I can finally dedicate some attention to this game. You level up skills by, what, using the associated tools?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Chump Farts posted:

Is it everything we dreamed in anime sleep? Really though I've got poo poo to do and wonder if I should prioritize this over Fire Emblem and being a functional married adult.

Games like this are what sick days are for, bro.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Just went back to play some more and found out that it didn't save any of my progress despite having just slept to go to day 4 before quitting. :negative:
Back to the beginning of day one I guess.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

You level up skills by, what, using the associated tools?

There's farming, mining, foraging, fishing and combat. They're all exercised by doing actions, e.g. Fishing raises fishing, smashing rocks for mining, planting crops for farming, chopping lumber for foraging, smashing jerks with your sword for combat, and so on.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
The introduction worked just fine, then after I saw a bird on a post my screen is white gibberish that seems broken.

Tetracell
Feb 16, 2008
My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb. Those that doubt me... suck cock by choice.
I keep crashing during the intro part at the farm, my life is garbage.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Oh god this running speed. I really hope the devs speed it up a little. Because it's such a drag to go somewhere.

Games awesome otherwise.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone discovered what Wizard Man likes? I gave him an ancient artifact, but he wasn't much of a fan of that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tetracell posted:

I keep crashing during the intro part at the farm, my life is garbage.

Had that happen to me as well. I ended up uninstalling it from my SSD and installed it on my regular hard drive instead and it stopped crashing after that.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Any fishing hints? I'm real bad at it, both using the mouse and controller.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

Can I get rocks for decoration somehow?

Tetracell
Feb 16, 2008
My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb. Those that doubt me... suck cock by choice.

Mega64 posted:

Had that happen to me as well. I ended up uninstalling it from my SSD and installed it on my regular hard drive instead and it stopped crashing after that.

That is my exact situation, so I will try that. Thanks.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The very first thing I did after opening the game and skipping all the intros was clear out as much trees/weeds/rocks in my house area I could before it knocked me out and charged me 50 gold for not sleeping. Dude was awake for like 3 ingame hours total. gently caress I hate fatigue systems in video games.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
There is something weird going on with the saving. I just lost several days worth of work, which should be impossible since it saves when you go to sleep.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

The vendor that sometimes appears next to the lake south of your farm was selling a sprinkler that watered the adjacent 24 tiles. I can't wait to get to later stuff in this game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The very first thing I did after opening the game and skipping all the intros was clear out as much trees/weeds/rocks in my house area I could before it knocked me out and charged me 50 gold for not sleeping. Dude was awake for like 3 ingame hours total. gently caress I hate fatigue systems in video games.

you're not even going to need remotely a fraction of that space for a while so there's literally no need to try and poopsock the field clear. you're meant to slowly reclaim it over time

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Is there any way to get hay besides Marnie? My chickens are going to die because for a bunch of consecutive days she hasn't actually opened up shop. :(

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 27, 2016

Eodoin
Dec 3, 2014

Shirec posted:

It is a bit weird to get used to. Basically I use light taps and holding the mouse. It takes a bit to get used to but it's pretty easy once you get how gently you have to tap and hold.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i want to:

1. build the hobo a shack at the least

2. raze joja corp off the map

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
I keep randomly losing a day when I save and quit. Not sure what's up with that. I tried reproducing it but no dice. With a few similar reports from outside the thread it sounds like there's a bug somewhere...

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i want to:

1. build the hobo a shack at the least

After I first met him, I was thinking how come I couldn't just hire him to tend to my field while I did other stuff. I'd pay him in food.

On a side note, if you get a dog, you can use your watering can to fill up the dish that's a little ways up from the house. I'm not sure if it's making him like me more or if it's just there as a detail, but I thought it was nice.

Another side note, what is everyone naming their pets? I named mine's Papi after a joke based on Undertale fan comic, so now I can say "hey, it's Papiiii!" whenever I see him. He's a sweet dog.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I may have missed it in the thread, but anyone know what a pulsing star icon in the lower left hand corner of an item means?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Why would you ever not choose the cat

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know where you can catch Eels? I know it's a night fish, but I think it's still area dependent.

Robzilla posted:

I may have missed it in the thread, but anyone know what a pulsing star icon in the lower left hand corner of an item means?

It's quality. Gold star is best, then silver, then nothing.
Better quality items are worth more/heals a bit more etc...

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Robzilla posted:

it's higher quality and sells for more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

gently caress I hate fatigue systems in video games.

I get what you're saying, many games have overly harsh fatigue systems. But without it, a game like this becomes broken. After playing four days, so far it feels right. Like Joestar says, you're really only supposed to clear out the area you need, or to gather the wood/stone/etc you need. It is something to be whittled away day by day.