Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm talking about Historie, not Vinland Saga dumbasses

Two months to release a chapter where the art is like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
Somehow I guessed that. So is Iwaaki sick, working on some other project at the same time, or what? Because it feels like almost every new chapter of Historie has been like that for years now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Weird that people think you're talking about the thing being discussed for the last half a page immediately prior with zero indication otherwise that you're talking about something else, you goober

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Weird that people think you're talking about the thing being discussed for the last half a page immediately prior with zero indication otherwise that you're talking about something else, you goober

you got owned

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Two months to release a chapter where the art is like this

Very clear of you to say so in your original post.

That is very true though. I can't see him having the same kind of insanely favorable deal that Togashi has, so I wonder what the story is?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

easy there on the harsh language

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Law Cheetah posted:

easy there on the harsh language

You ignoramus

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Iwaki has never really been a good artist

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I can't believe someone on the Internet would make a mistake only to insist that, actually, it was everyone else who made the mistake.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I just saw and somehow yesterday I mistook someone posting a link to History channel to "the latest historie". It's his fault for leading me to error though because Vikings is a lovely rear end series who shouldn't be linked on the anime forum.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I just saw and somehow yesterday I mistook someone posting a link to History channel to "the latest historie". It's his fault for leading me to error though because Vikings is a lovely rear end series who shouldn't be linked on the anime forum.

Rome was a really good series even though season 2 got pretty crazy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Caesar's son secretly survived and also we're gonna raise him as we walk off into the sunset.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

That's just hurtfull.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have to admit that when I asked for a link I thought it would be a thread about Vikings not a thread about a historical drama involving Vikings

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Rome was a really good series even though season 2 got pretty crazy.

I'd rather watch "Downton Abbey". I'm waiting for the new season to see how Mr Carson and Ms Hughes will live together and if Thomas will stop being a dickhole

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I believe in Edith's ability to find happiness, but not until the final episode.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I feel like I used up my standard "1 History+Boobs Television Drama Per Person" allotment when I binged all of The Borgias.

It was a really terrible third season and an unfortunately discovered cancellation.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I believe in Edith's ability to find happiness, but not until the final episode.

Downton Abbey is Family Guy and Edith is Meg

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Rodyle posted:

I feel like I used up my standard "1 History+Boobs Television Drama Per Person" allotment when I binged all of The Borgias.

It was a really terrible third season and an unfortunately discovered cancellation.

The Borgias was really awful and I'm surprised you lasted until the third season. If you still have any patience left for that topic, then I recommend "Borgia" -- at least the first season, anyway

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Brannock posted:

The Borgias was really awful and I'm surprised you lasted until the third season. If you still have any patience left for that topic, then I recommend "Borgia" -- at least the first season, anyway

Truth be known that was one of my "this plays in the background while I stare unblinkingly at a M&B: Warband mod" series

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Is this also a thread for alt-history manga? Does anyone else read Ooku?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ooku is very good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
God I keep forgetting that occasionally Historie updates

Alexander :stare:

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

FourLeaf posted:

Is this also a thread for alt-history manga? Does anyone else read Ooku?

What is Ooku?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

NAME REDACTED posted:

What is Ooku?

The basic premise is that after the Tokugawa shogunate is established a plague strikes Japan that ends up killing nearly all the men. Male population ends up being about 1/4th that of the female population, and the manga explores the effects of that. There's a lot of gender-flipped Edo-era historical personages around, so it's helpful to at least have a vague idea of who was shogun at a given time.

It's super good.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Speaking of Tokugawa I strongly recommend people to read Hyouge Mono and Kagemusha: Tokugawa Ieyasu

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

MarsDragon posted:

The basic premise is that after the Tokugawa shogunate is established a plague strikes Japan that ends up killing nearly all the men. Male population ends up being about 1/4th that of the female population, and the manga explores the effects of that. There's a lot of gender-flipped Edo-era historical personages around, so it's helpful to at least have a vague idea of who was shogun at a given time.

It's super good.

That sounds like a harem anime setup.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Pavlov posted:

That sounds like a harem anime setup.

Well the Ooku is literally the Shogun's harem, so in a way, yes. But the tone is very dark with people being murdered, raped, and tortured while trying to climb up the ranks. So really, it's not at all like a typical harem set up.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I made an effort post about Ooku in another thread a long time ago. I will repost it here:

FourLeaf posted:

Ōoku: The Inner Chambers

Edo period Japan. A strange illness erupts in a small village. Only men and boys catch it, and around 80% of victims die in agony, covered in red boils. This sickness, eventually known as the Redface Pox, spreads throughout the country. Soon the male population is devastated, with 4 women for every 1 man. Japanese society slowly adapts, with women taking on jobs and political positions formerly open only to men, and inheritance being altered to pass through the female line.

Even the Shogun is now a woman. The titular Ōoku (harem) of Edo Castle is filled with the most beautiful men of the land, carefully guarded to ensure the birth of an Tokugawa heir. While men in the outside world have become so rare that marriage is a luxury, hundreds of them live, die, and struggle for political supremacy inside the Ōoku.

Ōoku, by mangaka Fumi Yoshinaga, is an period drama with a twist. It's really good if you're like me and enjoy a) speculative fiction exploring "alternate" societies and b) political fantasy. It's slow-burning, focusing more on deadly palace intrigue and gradual societal change than on epic battles and fight scenes. If you're familiar with the Tokugawa period you'll probably enjoy it even more since Yoshinaga adheres closely to the historical record. It's fascinating to see how she uses the premise to create an entirely new justification for historical events like Japanese isolationism or the revenge of the 47 ronin.

It's licensed, so here's where you can buy it from Amazon.

I've heard people compare this to Y: The Last Man. It's not too similar. Obviously in Ōoku there are far more male survivors than in Y. Ōoku also doesn't focus on a single character as protagonist. It covers one character's life, then centers on another character, then that character's children, and so on. You watch as the Redface Pox slowly changes Japanese society to the point where most people don't know that there were once equal numbers of men and women. It's an extended alternate history.

The only bad thing about this series for me was the translator's strange decision to have the character's speak in faux-Shakespearean English. Luckily once I read it long enough it soon faded into the background. On the other hand, I read a review saying that made it more believable, so it depends on personal preference!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I'll be honest, I was not expecting all the men dieing out leading to the reverse sort of harem.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

coathat posted:

Ooku is very good.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That sounds like it's extremely my poo poo. Unfortunately, not licensed in my language / country, so i'll never get to read it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HenryEx posted:

That sounds like it's extremely my poo poo. Unfortunately, not licensed in my language / country, so i'll never get to read it
found it

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

nooooooo.

it is on mangahere.com, though. searching for oooku

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Law Cheetah posted:

nooooooo.

it is on mangahere.com, though. searching for oooku
did you even bother reading the plot description? It's THE same series

quote:

But 400 years later in a timeline slightly different from ours where the military empire still exists and Japan is still closed off from the rest of the world, the Ooku is in chaos. What used to be full of gracious and refined ladies, the girls now are violent and rude. They do as they please, get themselves into shenanigans and wreck havoc around the castle!

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

achillesforever6 posted:

God I keep forgetting that occasionally Historie updates

Alexander :stare:

I think Ad Astra is better than Historie, check it out.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Here is a new Otoyomegatari, featuring the return of Secret Agent Pariya and her investigative tactics: Click

Karluk appreciates fine nipponese steel and its many advantages over modern weaponry in the hands of a trained user

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Here is a new Otoyomegatari, featuring the return of Secret Agent Pariya and her investigative tactics: Click

Karluk appreciates fine nipponese steel and its many advantages over modern weaponry in the hands of a trained user

What an incredibly cute chapter

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

yum posted:

What an incredibly cute chapter