Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
And I'm enough of a vindictive rear end in a top hat that I remember every vague liberal Facebook friend who believed Chris Christie wasn't too bad before Bridgegate happened.

Chris Christie's backdoor maneuverings to posture himself as a bipartisan strongman almost worked. It's scary we only know about it because of dumb luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

If you don't want trump to win you should be nervous. Christie said it best, she would completely destroy Rubio because there's a playbook for those sorts of races. There's no playbook for beating Trump. Maybe she'll find something right away and it sticks and it's not even close who knows.

But people have consistently underestimated Trump and they've been wrong every. single. loving. time.

Even yesterday during the debate you had half the people saying it was the beginning of the end for trump lol. A lot of people just don't have a clue what is driving this race.

Oh my god bear is driving how can this be

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Nate just really isn't that good at this. Sad.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nate just really isn't that good at this. Sad.

Well, he's right about Republicans needing to basically give up on the Presidential election this time around though.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
I imagine he must be furiously going over the data, finding any way he can to morph it into the answer he so desperately wants.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

This loving killed me

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Well, he's right about Republicans needing to basically give up on the Presidential election this time around though.

nah.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
hillary is about to get schlonged majy boy.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
She and rubester69@hotmail.computer about to have a ton in common.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

Actually, I believe Christie when he said today that he's going to go into private life after his term ends.

I think he's doing this because he's really pissed that Marco Rubio was about to have the nomination fall in his lap without working for it. Christie worked for the Bush administration, won office in a blue state, was courted to run in 2012 by everyone in GOP donor circles, but begged off, won a huge re-election, ran the Republican Governors Association to big victories in 2014, and feels that he has actual political accomplishments from his administration he can point to. Rubio has achieved nothing in the US Senate, rarely shows up any more, gave up his seat to run for President, and basically coasted for the first eight months of the campaign, only doing a couple speeches a month. And the GOP was ready to pick him over Christie. That's gotta hurt if you're as obviously prideful as Christie is.

It would be wise for him to do whatever he needs to do to stay off the witness stand. I'm not really sure what that is, but the federal investigation is bad news for him.

They'd probably better get to cauterizing their own wounds, so that they don't lose any more Congressional seats than they likely will.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Serious hypothetical: if Trump were elected, would Trump style Republicans start winning primaries for more local offices? Would the party shift in a more fascist direction away from conservatism?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

If you don't want trump to win you should be nervous. Christie said it best, she would completely destroy Rubio because there's a playbook for those sorts of races. There's no playbook for beating Trump. Maybe she'll find something right away and it sticks and it's not even close who knows.

But people have consistently underestimated Trump and they've been wrong every. single. loving. time.

Even yesterday during the debate you had half the people saying it was the beginning of the end for trump lol. A lot of people just don't have a clue what is driving this race.

It was extremely pathetic to read the way the thread was jacking off wildly as Rubio dumped out every rehearsed point his interns had Googled. I mean, he did much better than anybody could have expected going in, but he still sucked really bad and was obviously way in over his head.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Majorian posted:

They'd probably better get to cauterizing their own wounds, so that they don't lose any more Congressional seats than they likely will.

they are in a damned if you do, damned if you don't position in regards to that

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

I imagine he must be furiously going over the data, finding any way he can to morph it into the answer he so desperately wants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iito7XzTwGk&t=31s

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

It would be wise for him to do whatever he needs to do to stay off the witness stand. I'm not really sure what that is, but the federal investigation is bad news for him.

Maybe he and hillary can share a cell

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
9/22/15

Joementum posted:

No joke, it's really funny watching people who consider themselves to political savants keep completely missing the tenor of this election and keep trying to compare it to 08/12 or whatever.

So your contention is that this year is somehow different from the 84-12 primaries? What do you think has changed?

:smug:

maybe you people should just listen to me instead of people who have been wrong this entire cycle? or not, i enjoy arguing on the ol 'net

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Jewel Repetition posted:

Serious hypothetical: if Trump were elected, would Trump style Republicans start winning primaries for more local offices? Would the party shift in a more fascist direction away from conservatism?

Yes. If Trump is the head of the Republican party for 4-8 years, it will change the Party. It will be hard to get very far without at least paying lip-service to Trump, and the most active people within the party will be the ones who truly love him in their hearts.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Or maybe you're just completely wrong about what will happen? just a thought

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I know a bunch of people are going to jump down my throat for writing this, but I really don't think Trump is going to be unstoppable for the DNC and Clinton. Why hasn't the GOP been able to stop Trump? They haven't dedicated significant spending against him, they barely did any oppo research until recently, and they can't attack the (few) policies he has without alienating their own base. Also, the GOP didn't consider him a serious candidate until recently, plus are very weakened in terms of top-level organization (evidence: the entire Speaker situation).

We got a sliver of the weird poo poo that's in Trump's background with Trump University and all the other "scandals" that Rubio brought up - I really think that stuff would have worked if it had been deployed much, much sooner. The moment Trump becomes the GOP nominee is the same moment that every Democrat in the United States starts ripping into him, mocking him, and exposing his past. Yes, Clinton has an e-mail scandal. But Trump University? That is like next-level, bizarre fraud and doesn't require a preamble explanation of government classification protocol in order to appreciate. As far we know that's just the tip of the iceberg.

While I don't have evidence to the contrary, I do NOT buy the argument that Clinton's nomination is going to depress Democratic turnout in the general election through apathy. I think Trump will serve as a good and proper motivator to get Democrats to vote, and that there will be a significant volume of Republicans that just stay home. Clinton has been the Republican boogey-man since the 90's, but Trump is something new entirely. Again, I don't know for sure. But the man is just so despicable for large chunks of MANY Democratic bases that I really think Democratic turnout will be just fine.

And you thought Rubio was dunking on him last night? Wait until campaign Obama is traveling around the country clowning on Trump at every opportunity. The DNC is going to be running negative ads against Trump 24/7 about issues that the GOP doesn't even want to talk about.

sharkbomb fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 27, 2016

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Of course he isn't unstoppable, it will be a very close race.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

i enjoy arguing on the ol 'net

same

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Fear the power and terror Trump unleashes at 140 characters.

http://tinyurl.com/jrx3bst

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Maybe he and hillary can share a cell

lol, are you one of the ones that think there's a chance of Hillary going to jail?

Or maybe you're just completely wrong about what will happen? just a thought

It's possible, but really unlikely.

sharkbomb posted:

I know a bunch of people are going to jump down my throat for writing this, but I really don't think Trump is going to be unstoppable for the DNC and Clinton. Why hasn't the GOP been able to stop Trump? They haven't dedicated significant spending against him, they barely did any oppo research until recently, and they can't attack the (few) policies he has without alienating their own base. Also, the GOP didn't consider him a serious candidate until recently, plus are very weakened in terms of top-level organization (evidence: the entire Speaker situation).

I don't think people should jump down your throat on this at all - I think it's basically right. I think it also helped Trump that he was up against some extremely weak primary candidates.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

:hfive:

Let's face it, whatever happens we win. Or trump starts a nuclear war and we lose.

What I'm trying to say is that we don't win enough anymore

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Majorian posted:

I don't think people should jump down your throat on this at all - I think it's basically right. I think it also helped Trump that he was up against some extremely weak primary candidates.

People in this forum have a visceral reaction to the mere notion that Clinton could have electoral success of some kind.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

9/22/15

So your contention is that this year is somehow different from the 84-12 primaries? What do you think has changed?

maybe you people should just listen to me instead of people who have been wrong this entire cycle? or not, i enjoy arguing on the ol 'net

all you did was predict the guy you liked would win. your actual analysis is bad

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

People assumed that the 'strongest GOP field in history' would have produced one or two candidates capable of dealing with a megalomaniac fraud; that it didn't occur is largely the fault of the other lovely candidates and the party, not with the prediction.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

lol, are you one of the ones that think there's a chance of Hillary going to jail?

It's possible, but really unlikely.

I think joe said it best, i think it was joe anyway: if trump wins the primary basically throw everything you think you know straight out the window because we've entered crazy town.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

babypolis posted:

all you did was predict the guy you liked would win. your actual analysis is bad

I'm voting for Bernie though? you're kinda being dumb here

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Automatic Slim posted:

Fear the power and terror Trump unleashes at 140 characters.

http://tinyurl.com/jrx3bst

LMAO, isn't this what Twitter's Trust and Safety Council was supposed to combat? Where is Anita Sarkeesian when you really need her.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Actually probably Clinton, but bernie is swell though

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/mattkatz00/status/703284881837723648

alpha

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I'm voting for Bernie though? you're kinda being dumb here

i guess i misunderstood your bullishness for trump

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
I wonder how much Master Shake melted down tonight.

I assume it was delightful.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I think joe said it best, i think it was joe anyway: if trump wins the primary basically throw everything you think you know straight out the window because we've entered crazy town.

Yup. Nate said basically the same today, that they're going to remove everything except polls from their election model because nobody has any idea if the stuff that was predictive in past cycles, like the Abramowitz bread and butter model, hold up in an election with Trump.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Firebert posted:

People assumed that the 'strongest GOP field in history' would have produced one or two candidates capable of dealing with a megalomaniac fraud; that it didn't occur is largely the fault of the other lovely candidates and the party, not with the prediction.

no, people just didn't pay attention to how loving angry the base was.

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!

sharkbomb posted:

We got a sliver of the weird poo poo that's in Trump's background with Trump University and all the other "scandals" that Rubio brought up - I really think that stuff would have worked if it had been deployed much, much sooner. The moment Trump becomes the GOP nominee is the same moment that every Democrat in the United States starts ripping into him, mocking him, and exposing his past. Yes, Clinton has an e-mail scandal. But Trump University? That is like next-level, bizarre fraud and doesn't require a preamble explanation of government classification protocol in order to appreciate. As far we know that's just the tip of the iceberg.

While I don't have evidence to the contrary, I do NOT buy the argument that Clinton's nomination is going to depress Democratic turnout in the general election through apathy. I think Trump will serve as a good and proper motivator to get Democrats to vote, and that there will be a significant volume of Republicans that just stay home. Clinton has been the Republican boogey-man since the 90's, but Trump is something new entirely. Again, I don't know for sure. But the man is just so despicable for large chunks of MANY Democratic bases that I really think Democratic turnout will be just fine.

And you thought Rubio was dunking on him last night? Wait until campaign Obama is traveling around the country clowning on Trump at every opportunity. The DNC is going to be running negative ads against Trump 24/7 about issues that the GOP doesn't even want to talk about.

yeah well you're a dumb loser with a vagina whos owned by wall street

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

babypolis posted:

i guess i misunderstood your bullishness for trump

it's ok friend

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I think that's true to a point, but keep in mind, the people supporting Trump so far are something like 35% of the 39% of Americans that identify as Republican voters. In the meantime, his sky-high disapproval ratings have remained stable since he got into the race. Clinton's disapprovals are high too, but they've been all over the place, and I think it's fair to expect that they'll go down if and when she gets the nomination and starts reminding the public of the crazy poo poo Trump has said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Powered Descent posted:

I cannot WAIT to see Jeb! finally bow to the inevitable and endorse Trump. I just can't decide -- how will he do it?

Through literally gritted teeth?
Slumped over and not looking anyone in the eye?
Trying to play his previous curb-stumping as just ball-busting by a couple of guys who like and respect each other?
While openly weeping?
...All of the above?

Technically he already did. Remember when Trump got them all to swear to support the nominee?

• Locked thread