Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He leads the procession driving a Trans Am with the top down right?
Oh yes, absolutely. I'm also pretty sure I heard the faint chords of "I Love Rock N' Roll" from my perch on the 11th floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

All of those are much less likely than Trump dying of a heart attack. So don't worry, based on statistics the election's in the bag.

To expand on this, even if Republicans take every close swing state (went Democrat by <5% in either of the last two elections), they still have to flip at least one >5% Dem state to win. If the Democrats take any one of Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, or Ohio (three of which went Dem in each of the last two elections), it becomes almost impossible for the Republicans to pull out a win. It's not a sure thing, but I'd argue that barring a serious catastrophe, Republicans won't win, even if they weren't having a bloodbath of a primary.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

All of those are much less likely than Trump dying of a heart attack. So don't worry, based on statistics the election's in the bag.

Watching Nate Silver backpedal on Trump is incredible

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

blue squares posted:

Sure is sad, isn't it?

No seriously wtf is this post

Oh no, you misconstrued me (which is understandable since it was a phone post and too snarky at that).

What I mean is that as much as one might distrust or dislike identity politics as a tactic, it looks like that's how this is going to shake out: the first female major-party candidate vs. a rampant misogynist.

In terms of gender equality, it's about goddamn time we had a woman wipe the floor with one of these shitheads.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fool_of_sound posted:

To expand on this, even if Republicans take every close swing state (went Democrat by <5% in either of the last two elections), they still have to flip at least one >5% Dem state to win. If the Democrats take any one of Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, or Ohio (three of which went Dem in each of the last two elections), it becomes almost impossible for the Republicans to pull out a win. It's not a sure thing, but I'd argue that barring a serious catastrophe, Republicans won't win, even if they weren't having a bloodbath of a primary.

Then again, Florida and Ohio need to periodically remind the rest of the country that they're shitholes. Both are definitely not out of reach for Trump, especially since the former periodically reelected Rick Scott.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ohio might be trouble but Virginia is pretty safe. And Florida I think will lean Dem because of all the old out of state retiree Democrats who make up a huge block of Hillary's support everywhere else. And that doesn't even take into account the Hispanic population. I know they largely consist of Cubans who lean more conservative but I cannot imagine that they will go for Trump in any significant number. More than the national Hispanic average probably but not by much.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 27, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Then again, Florida and Ohio need to periodically remind the rest of the country that they're shitholes. Both are definitely not out of reach for Trump, especially since the former periodically reelected Rick Scott.

They're all at risk, except maybe Virginia, but Republicans have to take all four to win in almost any scenario.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Here's what happens if Florida and Ohio both go republican, and hell so does every state that was less than 5% on either side:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is PA or Michigan at any risk of going Red? I would imagine that the entire Rust Belt aren't big fans of NAFTA.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I'm less concerned about Trump winning the general than I am about what's going to happen after he loses, especially if it's a close race.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kilroy posted:

I'm less concerned about Trump winning the general than I am about what's going to happen after he loses.

Mmmm, I think for the most part this movement recedes back under its blue tarp, aside from a few scattered incidents along the same vein of what happened right after Obama was elected, along with a continued undercurrent of the Bundy-types that have been around for a while now and should be around for a while yet. These people aren't warriors, they're goddamn idiots who will latch onto the next culture train.

As for what Trump himself will do? That will be fun.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Kilroy posted:

I'm less concerned about Trump winning the general than I am about what's going to happen after he loses, especially if it's a close race.

There is a lot more from where Trump came from. You'll see all kinds of flat lizards coming out of the woodwork while the Republicans howl and raise the obstructionism in Washington even more somehow.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Don't worry, the militias will be at the polling sites making sure that all the votes are on the up and up and marked for Trump.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

fishmech posted:

Here's what happens if Florida and Ohio both go republican, and hell so does every state that was less than 5% on either side:

If a Trump vs Clinton election ends up this loving close I'm going to stroke out/drink myself to death on election night.

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

Kilroy posted:

Yeah that is my fear as well. He is really stoking the fire and I don't know if the anger and violent rhetoric will be contained very well if he loses. Not to mention losing to Hillary.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
How is Der Trumpennführer losing Iowa and Wisconsin?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Wisconsin at least votes Democratic in national elections that aren't off year

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If a Trump vs Clinton election ends up this loving close I'm going to stroke out/drink myself to death on election night.

You and me both, but I don't think Hillary loses white women, much less by enough to make this map feasible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is PA or Michigan at any risk of going Red? I would imagine that the entire Rust Belt aren't big fans of NAFTA.

The last time PA voted Republican, the nationwide map was this:

(1988, a 426 to 111 landslide)

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I mean, so long as Clinton's got Virginia you can feel pretty safe in assuming she wins.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

This isn't too far from the Busy/Kerry map of 2004. If I were a Democrat, I'd be scared.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

This isn't too far from the Busy/Kerry map of 2004. If I were a Democrat, I'd be scared.

Actually it's very far, what are you smoking?

4 states different is hardly "not too far".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

And as we all know, the voter demographics have not changed one iota in 12 years.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

computer parts posted:

And as we all know, the voter demographics have not changed one iota in 12 years.

Also incumbent advantage.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

fishmech posted:

Note that this hypothetical map includes Virgina going Republican, and if noted Clinton bag man and (somehow) popular sitting Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe can't find a way to deliver a solid Virginia win to Clinton then he should just hara-kiri himself right now.

Translation: Virgina should be counted as a pretty safe D Clinton win.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 27, 2016

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
So I've got a US government question. What is the point of giving speeches on the floor of the Senate/House? Its highly unlikely you're swinging votes, you can't use footage from c-span in your ads and no one reading the congressional record years from now will give a gently caress what rep. Shitbag said on why a trade bill is like nazi Germany. So why bother?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Kilroy posted:

He spends the rest of his life trying to suck as much money from the wingnut machine as possible. Smaller wingnuts like Chowder,etc die as the Trump whale kills off this market even faster.

BTW how big of an effect will voter ID laws have?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fade5 posted:

Note that this hypothetical includes Virgina going Republican, and if noted Clinton bag man and (somehow) popular sitting Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe can't find a way to deliver a solid Virginia win to Clinton then he should just hara-kiri himself right now.

Translation: Virgina should be counted as a pretty safe D Clinton win.

McAuliffe is terrible

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

He spends the rest of his life trying to suck as much money from the wingnut machine as possible. Smaller wingnuts like Chowder,etc die as the Trump whale kills off this market even faster.

BTW how big of an effect will voter ID laws have?

Most of them got shot down, especially in some key swing states, so I don't think it will have much effect.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Iowa will be red this year.

Even when/if Trump loses in the end. The xenophobia and racism has been uncovered and unleashed fully. It isn't just bubbling below the surface.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So I've got a US government question. What is the point of giving speeches on the floor of the Senate/House? Its highly unlikely you're swinging votes, you can't use footage from c-span in your ads and no one reading the congressional record years from now will give a gently caress what rep. Shitbag said on why a trade bill is like nazi Germany. So why bother?

To shore up your record / views and seek money / support from various parties. The average joe won't look into your record, but people with power / influence / money and your opposition will look into it.

You can also attempt to influence how a court determine the validity of a bill views the legislative record

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 27, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nichael posted:

Those are fair points. I'm just skeptical that there's a huge difference between, say, white voters not affiliated with the Republican party, and white voters who are.

So you're basically struggling to differentiate between people who despise Barack Obama right now and people who don't? :psyduck:

Like, I know that Honky is literally the devil but come on, dude. Cut what still remains the single largest Democratic voting bloc some slack.

For all that Hillary/Bernie/Vermin Supreme supporters are annoying, they're not all really only a gentle shove away from becoming Trumpian brownshirts.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Watching Nate Silver backpedal on Trump is incredible

So what are we up to now? 1%? 2%? Or is the needle still stuck at 0

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Raskolnikov38 posted:

quote:

A cargo cult is a religious movement usually emerging in tribal or isolated societies after they have had an encounter with an external and technologically advanced society. Usually cargo cults focus on magical thinking and a variety of intricate rituals designed to obtain the material wealth of the advanced culture they encountered.

The term "cargo cult" has caught the imagination of the public and is now used to describe a wide variety of phenomena that involve imitating external properties without the substance. In commerce, for example, successful products often result in "copycat" products that imitate the form but are usually of inferior quality.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

Alternately, it's the chicken with its head cut off, still running around and going through the motions. Congress may be an ineffectual institute that has functionally ground to a standstill for over a decade, but by god they can still have speechifying.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

McAuliffe is terrible

Actually, McAuliffe is not terrible, though this is at least in part because being a good governor of Virginia literally just means standing out of the way while the federal millions shower down around you, and not getting into any scandals (like the last guy did).

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also incumbent advantage.

When was this ever the rule rather than the exception? I can think of Bush in 88, but that was after a series of sweeps wrecked the Democrats.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

computer parts posted:

So in short, you will likely always feel that the Presidential election is "too close for comfort", regardless of how it actually turns out. My advice: chill the gently caress out and stop paying attention to politics if it's going to stress you out that much.

That was the thing j liked about 538 in 2012. Nate was pointing out that despite the closeness of national polls, in the swing states where it mattered, there was a strong confidence Obama would win and this he probability of a win was much greater than that national poll number would let on.

Here though I just don't know. Like some other poster said earlier it's totally uncharted territory. Beyond trumps effect, I'm curious to see the ratfuckery effect all those voter id laws are going to have.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

When was this ever the rule rather than the exception? I can think of Bush in 88, but that was after a series of sweeps wrecked the Democrats.

Bush in 04 was the incumbent he's referring to there.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

A terrorist attack in the next 8 months is unlikely? Remember, ISIS wants Trump to be president.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ron Jeremy posted:

That was the thing j liked about 538 in 2012. Nate was pointing out that despite the closeness of national polls, in the swing states where it mattered, there was a strong confidence Obama would win and this he probability of a win was much greater than that national poll number would let on.

Here though I just don't know. Like some other poster said earlier it's totally uncharted territory. Beyond trumps effect, I'm curious to see the ratfuckery effect all those voter id laws are going to have.

Also, on average the polls were Republican-biased by about 3.2 points. In the end it wasn't a blowout but it wasn't really close either, even ignoring the electoral vote and just looking at the popular vote.

I still wonder if there wasn't some vote-rigging fuckery that failed to happen and caused Rove's on-air meltdown though. Wouldn't be the first time that Ohio's numbers were a little "curious".

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SedanChair posted:

A terrorist attack in the next 8 months is unlikely? Remember, ISIS wants Trump to be president.

For all our terrible faults we've actually gotten pretty good at learning about and then stopping terrorist attacks. Thankfully half of all prospective terrorists are utterly incompetent and the rest are undercover FBI.

• Locked thread