Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
I've been thinking now and then of picking up one of those cheap electric violins off of eBay to mess around with.
You've convinced me that this is a really bad idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICED-Equester-VZ4-Acrylic-electric-violin-handmade-/391392543399?hash=item5b20d042a7:g:gqcAAOSwVFlUDLTy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Lectric fiddles are way more fun than ukelele's, for all you millenial hipsters out there.

They are tuned the same, but you plug them into guitar effects pedals and make all kinds of horrific noises.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Actuary X posted:

I've been thinking now and then of picking up one of those cheap electric violins off of eBay to mess around with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICED-Equester-VZ4-Acrylic-electric-violin-handmade-/391392543399?hash=item5b20d042a7:g:gqcAAOSwVFlUDLTy

Buy it and run it through any of these.

Become the Merzbow of violin.

Also that "hip hop violinist". Surely the best way to handle that is just play the hook from Gangster's Paradise?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Ever since this came out electric violins have been cool and popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Wl2r_VlhA

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
When you wanna be Juicifer, but you only got a delivery boy job.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Pokey Araya posted:

that set up would get better tone than juicifer imho their tone is not very ridiculously sliced very muddy

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
you joke but that wall probably sounds pretty gnarly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6lZ3-aZjDg

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Actuary X posted:

You linked the ebay auction, and NOT the included youtube of the AMAZING GLOWING VIOLIN IN ACTION?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4exQHsQW9s
Shameful.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

woodch posted:

You linked the ebay auction, and NOT the included youtube of the AMAZING GLOWING VIOLIN IN ACTION?

Shameful.

:toot: strangers in the night :toot:

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

woodch posted:

Shameful.

So easy to think you've seen it all in this vid, but then you get to 6:37 and A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS (same bro)

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
fart

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cobalt60 posted:

So easy to think you've seen it all in this vid, but then you get to 6:37 and A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS (same bro)

Why is he wearing a baseball cap with his leather daddy fetish outfit?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Allen Wren posted:

Why is he wearing a baseball cap with his leather daddy fetish outfit?

It's a new sub-fetish, "Leather Actual Dad." He couldn't get his custom-made leather Big Dogs shirt and khakis shipped in time for the video, that's all.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

unless you're recording some sort of crust grind project this is very, very bad tone

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Concatenation posted:

unless you're recording some sort of crust grind project this is very, very bad tone

Why do any other kind of project?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Pokey Araya posted:

Lmao that's loving dope. I wanna show up at a show with a trail of 15 chained practice amps now

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want a video on how to get the sound from Realm of Chaos

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Pokey Araya posted:

I love Mississippi Marshalls.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Snowy posted:

I want a video on how to get the sound from Realm of Chaos

boss gx700 into a marshall power amp

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Stroker Ace posted:

I love Mississippi Marshalls.

I've never heard Peaveys called that before.

From this moment forward I will never call them anything else.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
it's what they were referred to back in the 70s when skynyrd were their biggest endorsee

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

strangemusic posted:

The other box is a DAC probably but I can't surmise what kind. I've got an RSA headphone amp (an SR-2.) To be fair, I'm a mastering geek so that's the shallow end.

Oh god, this makes me the enemy doesn't it. That being said, gently caress power plants and crystals and such. Just get a good DAC and a good amp, and if you're using speakers it's the room that matters more than anything else.

Edit: also wow that arby's pedal :stonk:

This thing? Back looks right.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/lavry/dac.html
http://www.lavryengineering.com/products/hi-fi/da11.html

$1480

Edit: lol, from the review
"One of my few complaints relates to the S/PDIF connector, which is a nickel-plated PC-board mounted affair. This critical part needs to be machined, gold-plated and panel-mounted as on the Benchmark DAC-1."

Christ these guys, can't even do them a favor like save money on a digital interconnect. Why are these clowns not just using the USB interface, anyway? Actually I'm at a loss how the thing was hooked up to the guy's Mac in the first place, since we can't see whatever provides the fiber link on the computer side.

Aoi-chan fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 29, 2016

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Aoi-chan posted:

I'm at a loss how the thing was hooked up to the guy's Mac in the first place, since we can't see whatever provides the fiber link on the computer side.

The headphone out on most new Macs doubles as an optical S/P DIF output, is that what you mean?

The 'premium digital cables' thing will never stop being hilarious. A friend of mine worked for Future Shop years ago and he was ashamed at how they'd make him upsell people on Monster cables for every application.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Monster cables own for the fact guitar center will replace them when they're broken (and apparently planet waves cables too) without asking any questions.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Spanish Manlove posted:

Monster cables own for the fact guitar center will replace them when they're broken (and apparently planet waves cables too) without asking any questions.

I'd need to replace one 20 times to break even, which would mean walking into guitar center 20 times, and that doesn't sound like it "owns" at all to me

Why are we still loving around with 1/4 inch mono plugs from the 1800s for our instruments anyways?

Is it cork-sniffers and tone dads who are keeping us from from using an interconnect that isnt clunky and stupid, and flat out wrong from nearly every mechanical and electrical engineering point of view?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

reallivedinosaur posted:

I'd need to replace one 20 times to break even, which would mean walking into guitar center 20 times, and that doesn't sound like it "owns" at all to me

Why are we still loving around with 1/4 inch mono plugs from the 1800s for our instruments anyways?

Is it cork-sniffers and tone dads who are keeping us from from using an interconnect that isnt clunky and stupid, and flat out wrong from nearly every mechanical and electrical engineering point of view?

...why exactly is a straight two-point metal connection for electrical signal flat out wrong? You need signal and ground and an easy way to plug it in. The plug's a bit big but I can't really think of anything wrong with a TRS connector.

I'd love to see what we should replace it with though. :allears:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
By the way I'm talking about the $20 monster cables, not the $50 ones.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

reallivedinosaur posted:

Yes. You could easily use a passive balanced connection with XLR plugs instead.

Or go even further and ditch the noisy passive pickups with active ones, for much better signal quality, although those do require batteries.

But it seems like the shittiness is mandatory.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
These are the only cables you should ever really get for general use:

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...tar+cable+1%2F4

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

The headphone out on most new Macs doubles as an optical S/P DIF output, is that what you mean?

What the what? No poo poo? I'll need to check in to that.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Or go even further and ditch the noisy passive pickups with active ones, for much better signal quality, although those do require batteries.

To go along with what reallivedino is saying:
they wouldn't need batteries if you frankenstein'd a 5-pin connector instead of the 1/4" and shoved that 9v or w/e directly to the pickups over the lines.
Hell, I'm that guy that would
if I could think of a reason for all of those.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

On the other hand, actually having a unified connector is like, the one really good thing about the guitar industry.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shugojin posted:

On the other hand, actually having a unified connector is like, the one really good thing about the guitar industry.

i'll be honest this isn't tone-dad kind of stuff but the normal guitar/patch cable is so dead simple in what it actually does that I can't think of a way to improve it other than change the size, it's a neutral two-wire connection point

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Guys we need a new connector that's balanced and fair and won't pop out when I'm doing divebombs and is IoT enabled and on the blockchain

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
all tones will be stored in the tonechain

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Dewgy posted:

all tones will be stored in the tonechain

What is the security in said tonechain? I don't want my tones leaking to the public.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Stroker Ace posted:

What is the security in said tonechain? I don't want my tones leaking to the public.

It's backed by math!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

reallivedinosaur posted:

Ubiquity. Everything's already got 'em, so everything works with everything else. Even stuff made 80 years ago.

quote:

I'm pretty sure it's not. I'm pretty sure it's literally everyone who doesn't want to have to throw out their existing gear or have to get adapter cables so that the industry can force itself to a new standard of questionable value when what we've got now is literally completely fine. This kind is sea change only happens with a massive groundswell of dissatisfaction, and there simply isn't that.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Why are we still using shovel/axe etc designs from prehistory? They're simple and they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Anything that makes the live connection before ground and blows up PAs and prevents another lovely bar band playing Folsom City Blues is OK with me.

• Locked thread