Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

SneakyFrog posted:

Kind of a more explode-y rule 34

New thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

crazypeltast52 posted:

You still use low grade (this thread) chemicals to process your ore if it's anything but iron being mined.

To link this with mercury chat. Mercury was and is commonly used in gold mining. Though these days it is only small scale producers in poorer countries.

The mercury forms an amalgam with gold which can then be easily separated from impurities. The mercury is then boiled off to retrieve the gold. This is exactly as healthy as it sounds.

A video going through the process in Nicaragua:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjJg_NWty74

Some shots are pretty :stonk:.

Munin has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Feb 27, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

crazypeltast52 posted:

You still use low grade (this thread) chemicals to process your ore if it's anything but iron being mined.

Oh my yes. I did a summer in an assay lab for a silver mine in college. Sample prep for atomic spec. Used a mixture of HF, aqua regia, and perchloric acids to digest the ore in hot plates in a hood. Death sauce if you will.

Industrial scale smelting skips out on the silicates but still uses nasty regardless.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DemeaninDemon posted:

Oh my yes. I did a summer in an assay lab for a silver mine in college. Sample prep for atomic spec. Used a mixture of HF, aqua regia, and perchloric acids to digest the ore in hot plates in a hood. Death sauce if you will.

Industrial scale smelting skips out on the silicates but still uses nasty regardless.

That's just a 4-acid digest. HCl (hydrochloric acid), HNO3 (nitric acid), HF (hydrofluoric acid) and HClO4 (perchloric acid) is the absolute standard for multi-element assays in the minerals industry. Cheap, effective, massive machines do all the work, seriously no one should ever be touching anything. Drill core goes in one end, numbers come out the other.

Oh also they're heated to around 10,000K before being run through the mass spectrometer. Four acid, inductive-coupled plasma mass spectrometry, or 4A-ICPMS. It doesn't belong in this thread, really, because it's completely routine and safe.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Memento posted:

That's just a 4-acid digest. HCl (hydrochloric acid), HNO3 (nitric acid), HF (hydrofluoric acid) and HClO4 (perchloric acid) is the absolute standard for multi-element assays in the minerals industry. Cheap, effective, massive machines do all the work, seriously no one should ever be touching anything.

Unless you're the intern doing the phase analysis in a metals companies R&D lab. No massive machines, just a fume hood (and luckily what looked like the front half of a hazmat suit) and me having to tell people before I mixed it because they didn't trust that I wouldn't somehow spill it all over everyone in the lab.

And people wonder why I went in to baking.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Memento posted:

That's just a 4-acid digest. HCl (hydrochloric acid), HNO3 (nitric acid), HF (hydrofluoric acid) and HClO4 (perchloric acid) is the absolute standard for multi-element assays in the minerals industry. Cheap, effective, massive machines do all the work, seriously no one should ever be touching anything. Drill core goes in one end, numbers come out the other.

Oh also they're heated to around 10,000K before being run through the mass spectrometer. Four acid, inductive-coupled plasma mass spectrometry, or 4A-ICPMS. It doesn't belong in this thread, really, because it's completely routine and safe.

That would be nice if it was all in line yes. It was a lab for just one mine so it was mostly by hand. Squirt in the acids using transfer pipettes. Ppe was gloves and glasses. Teflon beakers were sweet though. Way cooler than nalgene PP crap.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Mercury is cool poo poo. If you've never dipped your hand into a bucket of it, you haven't lived

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kilo147 posted:

Mercury is cool poo poo. If you've never dipped your hand into a bucket of it, you haven't lived

No, you'll be living instead, which imo is quite preferable to the past tense. :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

No, you'll be living instead, which imo is quite preferable to the past tense. :v:

Eh, elemental mercury is mostly harmless.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
It's the fumes that'll get ya.

Gloved hand and a respirator should be plenty.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tunicate posted:

Eh, elemental mercury is mostly harmless.

Yeah I figured as much but the joke was right there. :saddowns:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Unless you're the intern doing the phase analysis in a metals companies R&D lab. No massive machines, just a fume hood (and luckily what looked like the front half of a hazmat suit) and me having to tell people before I mixed it because they didn't trust that I wouldn't somehow spill it all over everyone in the lab.

And people wonder why I went in to baking.

Baking is just chemistry that usually won't kill you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kilo147 posted:

*Can* you dip your hand into a bucket of it?

Oliver Sacks writes in _Uncle Tungsten_ of trying to shove his arm into a barrel of the stuff as a kid, and was unable to do it. I guess a hand should be doable.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Phanatic posted:

Oliver Sacks writes in _Uncle Tungsten_ of trying to shove his arm into a barrel of the stuff as a kid, and was unable to do it. I guess a hand should be doable.

Of course someone on youtube has done it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNx2bJUctRE

Keiya posted:

Baking is just chemistry that usually won't kill you.

I always heard it as 'Cooking is chemistry that you can eat". But "usually won't kill you" also works.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

jetz0r posted:

Of course someone on youtube has done it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNx2bJUctRE

After the :stonk: passed, my next question was, "Who the gently caress sold this guy 20 pounds of mercury?"

No-one. He made it himself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtvVzh-zfyo

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Gobbeldygook posted:

After the :stonk: passed, my next question was, "Who the gently caress sold this guy 20 pounds of mercury?"

loving awesome.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yes, Cody is utterly insane.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Keiya posted:

he set up an apparatus to make nitric acid from air using arc discharge.

and left it running unattended in his basement all day while he was presumably out of the house.

to make oxidizer for his experimental rocket engine built out of a copper tube.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Keiya posted:

:catstare:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eGES-MrIFo&t=125s:catstare:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

KozmoNaut posted:

Brake fluid+chlorine.

Man, that takes me back. Back in our pre-teen years a friend and I used to make C&BF bombs pretty regularly and throw them about in the sand mines out the back of our suburb.
Somehow he managed to convince our school teacher to do a demo of it so we all filed out of class one day into the yard. My mate stuck that stuff in a small paint tin and thankfully only loosely placed the lid on. I honestly think this was more luck than judgement and we barely avoided having an actual bomb detonate next to all of us 11 or 12 year olds. The lid flew off under a sheet of flame and the crowd went wild.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Munin posted:

To link this with mercury chat. Mercury was and is commonly used in gold mining. Though these days it is only small scale producers in poorer countries.

The mercury forms an amalgam with gold which can then be easily separated from impurities. The mercury is then boiled off to retrieve the gold. This is exactly as healthy as it sounds.

A video going through the process in Nicaragua:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjJg_NWty74

Some shots are pretty :stonk:.

In undergrad (nuclear engineering) I had to take a course called Impact of Science and Technology on Society. In this course I had to write a paper discussing one of the concepts in the class, and I chose the one where poorer nations benefit less than richer nations from technological development, and can even be brought down by it; it has some fancy name that I can't remember anymore.

Anyway, my paper was about how the advancement of technology in rich nations has led to an abundance of e-waste, which tends to find its way to poorer nations where people use unsafe methods to remove the gold that is commonly used in electronics. The vast majority of e-waste finds its way to Guiyu, China where thousands of businesses and even more individuals reprocess it for a living, which leads to it being a common site to see people on the roadside boiling stuff in pots of mercury. I cited some studies from universities in China itself showing predictably high rates of heavy metal poisoning in the region and measurable impacts on long-term health outcomes, infant mortality rate, birth defect rate, and educational performance.

Ever since then I haven't sent a single bit of used electronics to the disposal depot because I'm pretty sure even though my government claims that it's being handled properly, it probably just ends up on the streets of Guiyu.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My company no longer puts our name and logo on those little stickers that identify corporate property like laptops and monitors - I think our CTO had a nightmare about our logo turning up in an earth-shatteringly toxic Guiyu landfill and the associated bad press that comes with it. Being a mining company, they'd probably blame us for the entire thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phanatic posted:

When I was in elementary school there was this weird reclusive Asian couple that lived up in the hills behind my house (northern California rural valley). Rumors were that they were mad scientists in hiding from a foreign government or something.

They had a son who was my age, and they kept coming out of the woodwork to come to his/my classes from pre-school through like 2nd grade (when they mysteriously vanished) and do "science experiments" that made me wonder how legit they were even at the time. Like they would have us all hold hands in a big circle and then they'd connect the end two people to a generator so we could all feel jolts of electricity shoot through us.

But I'll never forget the day they came to my pre-school class with tupperware bowls that they filled full of mercury and had us all line up and dip our hands in.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Platystemon posted:

Of course. Pages 177–179 of Ignition!:

quote:

He directed us, forthwith, to verify the calculations experimentally, and NARTS, horrified, was stuck with the job of firing a mercury- spewing motor in the middle of Morris County, New Jersey.

By the way, this wouldn't be referring to the old Reaction Motors test site at Picatinny Arsenal, would it?

E: yes it would! http://www.pica.army.mil/ead/cultural/picatinnyhistoricdistricts/NARTS/index.html Pretty neat urbex spot :ssh:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I only have second and third hand mercury stories. One was about a junkie that shot up with mercury from a thermometer. Ended up just pooling in the bottom of their heart, which got drained out. No immediate effects, not even a high. And the other is some old lab was undergoing renovations, and when they took the floor out they found pools of mercury that had accumulated from spills over the many years. It was an old la and the renovations was many decades ago when people cared less about health and safety.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

I only have second and third hand mercury stories. One was about a junkie that shot up with mercury from a thermometer. Ended up just pooling in the bottom of their heart, which got drained out. No immediate effects, not even a high. And the other is some old lab was undergoing renovations, and when they took the floor out they found pools of mercury that had accumulated from spills over the many years. It was an old la and the renovations was many decades ago when people cared less about health and safety.

Liquid mercury is almost completely harmless. The problem is that it's got a vapor pressure and it's the vapor that can be the problem. Even then it takes many years of exposure to the vapor for any measurable problems to develop.

Most mercury poisoning comes from organomecury compounds that get absorbed and metabolized easily. It's much easier to bioaccumulate dangerous amounts that way.

Calomel (Hg2Cl2) was widely used medicinally and in cosmetics for centuries. The toxic effects of its regular usage became apparent only slowly. So inorganic mercury is far less of a concern than organic compounds of it. That doesn't mean it's harmless, of course, it's just much less of an issue.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Amoeba102 posted:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1247524/ :nms:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Data Graham posted:

But I'll never forget the day they came to my pre-school class with tupperware bowls that they filled full of mercury and had us all line up and dip our hands in.

You will once the neurological damage kicks in.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Liquid mercury is almost completely harmless. The problem is that it's got a vapor pressure and it's the vapor that can be the problem. Even then it takes many years of exposure to the vapor for any measurable problems to develop.

Most mercury poisoning comes from organomecury compounds that get absorbed and metabolized easily. It's much easier to bioaccumulate dangerous amounts that way.

Calomel (Hg2Cl2) was widely used medicinally and in cosmetics for centuries. The toxic effects of its regular usage became apparent only slowly. So inorganic mercury is far less of a concern than organic compounds of it. That doesn't mean it's harmless, of course, it's just much less of an issue.

Yeah, the first anecdote came from a lecture on medicinal chemistry on a component on metals. The point of which was that toxicity depends on the form.

The second anecdote would be a problem because there would be mercury vapours over many many years in that lab.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People used to drink glasses of elemental mercury for its laxative effect.

What’s funny is its mechanism of action. A lot of laxatives are things that make the body say “holy poo poo, open the flood gates and get this outta here”.

Not mercury. It’s just so dense that it bullies its way around the intestines. It works via mechanical, not chemical, action.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Platystemon posted:

People used to drink glasses of elemental mercury for its laxative effect.

What’s funny is its mechanism of action. A lot of laxatives are things that make the body say “holy poo poo, open the flood gates and get this outta here”.

Not mercury. It’s just so dense that it bullies its way around the intestines. It works via mechanical, not chemical, action.

What does mercury taste like?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

jetz0r posted:

You should try it and report back for the good of the thread- you should also cross post to the goon Doctor.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

jetz0r posted:

Mercury. It takes like mercury. Really though probably just that metallic taste you get with irony water.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
MSHA says it's flavorless.

Tsubasa2004 has a new favorite as of 09:52 on Feb 29, 2016

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Your sense of taste is based on detecting ions, so elemental Mercury being flavorless makes a lot of sense.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Your sense of taste is based on detecting ions, so elemental Mercury being flavorless makes a lot of sense.

This is only true for sour (H+) and salty (Na+), and maybe umami. Bitter and sweet have receptors for certain molecule groups.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No.
Salt and sour are based on ion detection but everything else involves compounds interacting with specialized receptor cells which in turn release other compounds in varying amounts depending on the specific cells function and the compound it interacted with in the first place.

From there a complex enzymatic process initiates which ends in tge neurotransmitters firing off.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rigged Death Trap posted:

No.
Salt and sour are based on ion detection but everything else involves compounds interacting with specialized receptor cells which in turn release other compounds in varying amounts depending on the specific cells function and the compound it interacted with in the first place.

From there a complex enzymatic process initiates which ends in tge neurotransmitters firing off.

Biochem: even more scary than fluorine chemistry.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Isn't most taste perception at least partially based on the smell receptors, too? If mercury doesn't smell like anything (I do not volunteer to test), and doesn't interact with the way fewer different types of receptors on the tongue, it kind of makes sense that it's tasteless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Isn't most taste perception at least partially based on the smell receptors, too? If mercury doesn't smell like anything (I do not volunteer to test), and doesn't interact with the way fewer different types of receptors on the tongue, it kind of makes sense that it's tasteless.

Afaik all metals are tasteless by themselves. If metal does have a taste that's because of the organic crap left on the surface by other people touching it.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Biochem: even more scary than fluorine chemistry.

Have a particularly weird example of biochem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSFe91XlwYQ