Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

matt could we get the broadest of hints whether the xcom playthrough ever starts going better for pat

It's not going to. Xcom relies on your units getting better over time because of experience and equipment and you snowballing from there. Pat isn't getting anywhere since his units keep dying all the time and he fails the missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man, I'm not mad that Pat's doing dumb things or whatever, I just wish a really good game wasn't getting squandered LP-wise.

Like the game (And the LP as he's unsubtly pointed to) is gonna end up dying before they even get to see any cool poo poo, he didn't use a fun character pool, it all coulda been so much more. :sigh:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Man, I'm not mad that Pat's doing dumb things or whatever, I just wish a really good game wasn't getting squandered LP-wise.

Like the game (And the LP as he's unsubtly pointed to) is gonna end up dying before they even get to see any cool poo poo, he didn't use a fun character pool, it all coulda been so much more. :sigh:

Pat failing spectacularly is a lot more entertaining than them doing a competent xcom playthrough. If I want to see people play xcom2 well I'm going to watch Beaglerush or something.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The adventures in shooting a sectoid from point blank in the latest episode was a top ten channel moment

Liam getting angrier and angrier, just yelling "SHOOT THAT MOTHERFUCKING ALIEN"

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Andrast posted:

It's not going to. Xcom relies on your units getting better over time because of experience and equipment and you snowballing from there. Pat isn't getting anywhere since his units keep dying all the time and he fails the missions.
Hahaha, that reminds me that Pat has forgotten about the base upgrade that lets you train rookies into a class straight away.

This is also a second characteristic of XCOM, where you can get away with being sloppy on easier difficulties and even bounce back, but you will get wrecked doing the same on harder difficulties.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

Hahaha, that reminds me that Pat has forgotten about the base upgrade that lets you train rookies into a class straight away.

This is also a second characteristic of XCOM, where you can get away with being sloppy on easier difficulties and even bounce back, but you will get wrecked doing the same on harder difficulties.

Yeah, the difficulty they chose (or xcom in general) really isn't kind to mistakes. All the mistakes Pat does just compound on each other until it is all but impossible to win.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Soooooo who wants to take bets for how long until the first death in Final Fantasy X? I'm gonna be generous and say Seymour's fourth fight, the one that's a pain in the loving rear end . Honestly I think it's a pretty safe bet. Man gently caress the FFX LP though for making me want to pick up the game. I kind of want to try the superboss bullshit on the HD version.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cmykjester posted:

I kind of want to try the superboss bullshit on the HD version.

I don't recommend it. They aren't very fun.

And yes, they are definitely going to wipe at least once in the Seymour fight on Gagazet.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Andrast posted:

Yeah, the difficulty they chose (or xcom in general) really isn't kind to mistakes. All the mistakes Pat does just compound on each other until it is all but impossible to win.

It's almost like it's an Ironman playthrough that isn't necessarily intended to actually be finished

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
Honestly, since the release of part 5, I couldn't be happier with the way XCOM 2 is going. The episode is a strong contender for my top 10 zaibatsu clips 2016 and the Collaborator Woolie lore generated by the LP at large is top-tier. I'm glad we're starting the year with so much high quality content, and I really hope some of it features in Plague's 2016 animation, assuming he makes one.

Justice Sloth fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 27, 2016

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Preview of episode 5 of Pat rolling down a hill

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Xcom 3 with valkyria chronicles gameplay, goddamn I hate this world

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Depths posted:

Preview of episode 5 of Pat rolling down a hill

Xcom.jpg

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Andrast posted:

I don't recommend it. They aren't very fun.

And yes, they are definitely going to wipe at least once in the Seymour fight on Gagazet.

I've played through FFX 3 or 4 times, and I don't think I've ever used a strategy for that fight that wasn't "Use Every Aeon Overdrive"

It's like breaking the seal, too. Once you start using that strategy, may as well use it on every boss afterward.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Pat is bad but XCom 2 really isn't helping him, drat.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Dias posted:

Pat is bad but XCom 2 really isn't helping him, drat.

There were so many great moments in Xcom Episode 5. Holy poo poo if you guys aren't watching the Xcom 2 LP you're missing out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
XCom 2 is a top tier LP, gently caress all y'all wanting good gameplay and sound strategy.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T HIT HIM?!"
"Jump through the window, and shoot that loving alien in the face!"
"Now Jennifer, you jump right through this goddamn window, and you SHOOT THE loving ALIEN IN THE FACE"
All to the dulcet tones of Pat's maniacal laughter.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Dias posted:

XCom 2 is a top tier LP, gently caress all y'all wanting good gameplay and sound strategy.

It's really got everything: Pat realizing he has no options other than continuing to fail, Woolie reveling in the failure and Liam desperately trying to save these doomed missions. If it were just a normal successful playthrough I don't think it would be nearly as funny or entertaining unless you were already a huge XCom fan.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just hope the inevitable failure video doesn't have a Final on the title, ends after 5min and then we get 30min of 3S footage to cover it up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kimmalah posted:

It's really got everything: Pat realizing he has no options other than continuing to fail, Woolie reveling in the failure and Liam desperately trying to save these doomed missions. If it were just a normal successful playthrough I don't think it would be nearly as funny or entertaining unless you were already a huge XCom fan.

I totally agree, but I would also like a followup to it where liam was in control playing properly, and Pat would be trying to direct him and constantly offering the worst advice and liam would ignore it, and Woolie would continue being an oblivious, alien mark constantly bewildered by everything

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a competent legend iron man mode playthrough on YouTube by ChristopherOdd that is pretty good if you want competent play. The Best Friends videos are great because I can't even imagine things going any worse in their videos. It's like they're going for a failure speedrun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Only one good playthrough of anything is allowed per game on youtube.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
We also have Final Fantasy X(Com 2) going on again, yaaay.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Did the guys do Turok after MagFest, because holy poo poo their voices sound like they're in pain.
Speaking of voices, don't forget another Souls stream is today!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

HGH posted:

All to the dulcet tones of Pat's maniacal laughter.

Any time we get a proper belly laugh out of Pat, it's the most infectious thing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god, the loving monologue the team owner goes on is beautiful

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Baal posted:

Oh my god, the loving monologue the team owner goes on is beautiful
The Mr. Hyde looking motherfucker they made as their character is amazing in these scenes. I can't look at his ridiculous mutton chops without laughing.

Also, everyone's teeth models look like they're two sizes too small for their heads. Some reverse Mr. Ed poo poo going on, it's hilarious and horrific.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
You know you hosed up HARD if Super Best Friends think your worse than David Cage. :stare:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

http://www.twitch.tv/superbestfriendsplay get in here

these production values

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 27, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

The echo is real because the stream's on woolie's laptop too. Also some guy maybe donated $1,111 to them already.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Subscribing to a channel that streams maybe once a month. Weird.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I think it's twice a month but still. Also time to invade Woolie, he's going to play in body form.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

here come a thousand scraping spears

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Subscribing to a channel that streams maybe once a month. Weird.

I would rather subscribe best friends than any other twitch channel.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i hope liam is going to invade from home

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Andrast posted:

I would rather subscribe best friends than any other twitch channel.

I mean, wouldn't it be better to just donate the 5 bucks? From what I understand, twitch takes half of any subscription.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

I mean, wouldn't it be better to just donate the 5 bucks? From what I understand, twitch takes half of any subscription.

Yes, I would also rather just donate than subscribe to their twitch channel.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Oh nice they didn't play at all since last stream so no souls and no healing items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the no healing run is starting strong

did woolie kill the guy who revives the boss last time