Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm grateful too for the most part, but my grandpa didn't kill Hitler with a bible in one hand and a crying bald eagle in the other just for me to withhold my own opinions about discrimination allegories in fantasy settings.

hitler killed hitler
therefore..............
e: incredibly bad snipe
read honey crab

http://www.honey-crab.com/

fun hater fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Just Offscreen posted:

Move over Mona Lisa

More like Moon over Mona Lisa.

Empress Theonora posted:

if this is really your attitude towards webcomics in spite of all of the incredible work that's being done what are you even doing in this thread

Space-Bird posted:

mate if you had talent you wouldn't be posting. but seriously.. c'mon dude why do you even post this? what should web comic creators be doing instead? making print comics? like what is your metric for talent? How much money a person makes? Those marvel movies are the pinnacle of human creativity.

It's ok to enjoy things, like yeah there is some crap out there, but like why don't you take some stock in what you are doing with yourself. it's ok to admit there are some pretty neat comics out there, but beyond that earnestly trying to create a comic is pretty hard and puts you in a very vulnerable position. do you need a hug? or have you had bad friends your whole life?

come with me SA poster Hog Wilde... and find a thing to enjoy on the Internet :ghost:

What I wrote was a bit exaggerated. There are many webcomics that that provide entertainment and even a few that are good, like Oglaf and Bouletcorp. And there are also some that are sometimes good eg. KC Green's comics, SMBC, and Steve Lichmann. My metric for talent definitely isn't that the artists/writers are making print comics or loads of money, because most of the print comics are animus, superheroes, or garfields, and the persons who are big earners in webcomics are Jeff Jacks who makes QC, Aaron Diaz who makes robo-amputee-buff-waifu fetish stuff, and the Penny Arcade guys.

Bell_ posted:

Some folks got their start in webcomics and went on to do other things, but their webcomics gave them the exposure to get the opportunity to do those other things.

Iirc Boulet made print comics and illustrations for some children's science thing before making webcomics. I haven't read any of his early stuff. Was it good/popular? And I think that Oglaf's artist had also done some professional work before. Kelly Turnbull who makes Manly Guys Doing Manly Things started her webcomic after she was employed as a professional animator. But I can't remember anyone who made some webcomics and then was later hired to make something else because of their webcomic fame. Maybe Jorge Cham who does the PHD Comics? Does he get paid for touring around talking about procrastination?

Pick posted:

webcomics are fun

On this I unironically agree 100%.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hogge Wild posted:

But I can't remember anyone who made some webcomics and then was later hired to make something else because of their webcomic fame.

Off the top of my head, I think there's a bunch of people who went from webcomics to the Adventure Time empire (either writing tie-in comics, like Meredith Gran, or working on the show itself like Steve Wolfhard and Jesse Moynihan), the Three Word Phrase guy is working on one of those cartoon shows too, there are all those Ryan North things, the McNinja guy is writing for Marvel, the 'Help Us, Great Warrior' lady is doing those for a traditional publisher now (does that count?), and Jillian Tamaki put out 'This One Summer'

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

But I can't remember anyone who made some webcomics and then was later hired to make something else because of their webcomic fame.

Ryan North, Christopher Hastings, Tyson Hesse, KC Green, Brian Clevinger, Meredith Gran off the top of my head

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also Ian Jones-Quartey.

But it's a moving of goalpost anyway. There are webcomics made by talented people; it doesn't matter if they were doing something else before, or after.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

There are good stories to tell when exploring why people are homophobic, or racist, or transphobic, as well as solid stories to be told about the emotional and the socioeconomic effects of racism, but those stories tend to be ignored in favor of showing characters we're told are oppressed sipping coffee and strumming guitars/blogging/attending university until maybe (if the author feels it necessary to remind the viewers that the characters are the targets of discrimination) some regular human shows up, angrily yells "YOU PEOPLE" and then there's a chapter of crying.

everyone who takes a creative writing class gets told to write what you know, which is why so many of these comics are about nothing

mycot posted:

I agree that the animal racism in Poppy is much more nuanced than in any other story I've seen with something similar. Everyone is nominally ok with possums, it's just that when it comes to anything significant people show how they really feel. :(

edit: As an aside drat you guys really hate coffee houses.

everyone is nominally okay with Poppy, who is effectively Superman. The rest of the possums are heavily implied (and stated outright in the commentary alongside the comic) to be the routine targets of pogroms where not outright enslaved/genocided

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hogge Wild posted:

Iirc Boulet made print comics and illustrations for some children's science thing before making webcomics. I haven't read any of his early stuff. Was it good/popular?

I've heard Boulet's comic series are great, but none of them are in English. He got a deal to publish his webcomic posts in English books last May: http://comicsalliance.com/boulet-collected-notes-soaring-penguin-press/ so maybe if those do well enough we'll see some of his older stuff get official translations too

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nuns with Guns posted:

I've heard Boulet's comic series are great, but none of them are in English. He got a deal to publish his webcomic posts in English books last May: http://comicsalliance.com/boulet-collected-notes-soaring-penguin-press/ so maybe if those do well enough we'll see some of his older stuff get official translations too

His Dungeon comics can be found in English.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hogge Wild posted:

His Dungeon comics can be found in English.

That's true. I forgot he collaborated on the art for a few of those. Don't think he got writing credit though.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
While we're still on Monster Pop/Monsterkind (and X-Men too), I feel like the big issue about those comics is that they feel like stories about racism from people who have never really experienced racism as anything other than an abstract concept taught in liberal arts courses. I'd really like to see a comic about that stuff that handles those topics more in depth than fantasy college educated white people saying "racism is bad"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I also think they tend to borrow too heavily specifically from racism. I have a number of friends who are disabled and disfigured, and their experience in public is very particular and I would imagine applicable to writing a story where differences in appearance are key. For example, I remember going to the state fair with a friend with one arm who wasn't wearing her prosthetic, and a child just pointed at her and broke down and cried. There was no ill-will from anyone involved, no one was "denying" anything to anyone else per se, but drat that was not great.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Whoa now don't be giving away those Bunny Meat scripts

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pick posted:

I also think they tend to borrow too heavily specifically from racism. I have a number of friends who are disabled and disfigured, and their experience in public is very particular and I would imagine applicable to writing a story where differences in appearance are key. For example, I remember going to the state fair with a friend with one arm who wasn't wearing her prosthetic, and a child just pointed at her and broke down and cried. There was no ill-will from anyone involved, no one was "denying" anything to anyone else per se, but drat that was not great.

Jackard posted:

Whoa now don't be giving away those Bunny Meat scripts

Noted.

Also:

The contributor is a Philippino guy who sent me a shitton of stories, all involving his hosed-up mother. I had to leave a couple out of the queue due to the sheer amount of violence involved. I think he's also schizophrenic but he has yet to confirm this. Expect to see his name come up a lot.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I think he might get his schizophrenia from his mother.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's okay, I wasn't planning on sleeping tonight anyway :suspense:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Cat Mattress posted:

Also Ian Jones-Quartey.

But it's a moving of goalpost anyway. There are webcomics made by talented people; it doesn't matter if they were doing something else before, or after.

Likewise, the dude who does Surviving the World got a grant to do a brief series on scientific concepts, but I'm not sure how much of that's due to him being "Dude who does a cool comic" or "Professor Shepherd who wants visual explanations for students".

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

A bunch of the Steven Universe staff started as web or fan comics folks.

A number of web comics folks have also had their web comics work and/or original work published by "real" publishers (as opposed to self-funded or kickstarter-funded self-publishing), like Tom Siddell (Gunnerkrigg Court), John Allison (Bad Machinery), Kate Beaton (Hark A Vagrant), Noel Stevenson (Nimona, Lumberjanes, working on Wander over Yonder).

There's a continuum from pure-amateur doing web comic stuff to getting started, to people who've "gone pro" and are still doing web comics in addition to other work, to people who started doing web comics as a side thing after years in industry. And talent and quality and whatnot is all over the map. But there's a ton of great stuff out there, no doubt about it.

I feel like the last decade or so has been the start of a golden age of self-published media hitting niches that stodgy traditional media disdains or ignores, and is evolving to a state where traditional publishers (in comics, books, games, whathaveyou) are starting to see indie content as an exciting source of new things, which is a nice counterpoint to the endless sequels and crap coming out of Hollywood and AAA gaming, by comparison.

It still takes talent and dedication but the tools a publishing venues now exist such that pretty much anyone can get a comic, a book, a video game out in front of an audience. Not all of these will be good, and not all will succeed, but there's some amazing stuff turning up nonetheless.

I wonder how far we are from really decent indie TV and movies -- high quality video recording and editing has gotten cheaper, but I think one of the challenges in this space is the number of people needed to shoot non-trivial footage -- unlike comics, books, or games it's harder to do this stuff with just one person or 2-3 people.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I read a very good analysis of that a couple of days ago, I'll see if I can find it again.

Just checking to see if you ever found the link to this? I'd like to read it if you did. :shobon:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Captain Bravo posted:

Just checking to see if you ever found the link to this? I'd like to read it if you did. :shobon:

Sorry, I didn't. :( It was on Tumblr but gold luck finding it there.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's also the Atomic Robo guys, who started the comic in print then moved to the web.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's also the Atomic Robo guys, who started the comic in print then moved to the web.

It's written by the creator of 8-Bit Theater.

Girl Genius did a similar thing, and they went from print to webcomic as well.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's written by the creator of 8-Bit Theater.

Girl Genius did a similar thing, and they went from print to webcomic as well.

Well, Atomic Robo is a webcomic but also published by IDW but also self-published super deluxe editions.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Hey Morbi, I'm suddenly getting warnings about a trojan inject script on the main page of Poppy. Just wanted to let you know in case some shithead got into your site.

ed: Looking more like this might be on my end. ed2: yeah some random crap on my end.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 29, 2016

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Parts Kit posted:

Hey Morbi, I'm suddenly getting warnings about a trojan inject script on the main page of Poppy. Just wanted to let you know in case some shithead got into your site.

ed: Looking more like this might be on my end. ed2: yeah some random crap on my end.

Well reading this post went from "stressful" to zero pretty quickly

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Parts Kit posted:

Was it https related? My browser always tests if a site can use https before http, and it's telling me the site has an improperly configured ssl certificate. Works fine with plain http though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I was having some problems with the poppy url, but a DNS flush seems to have cleared that up?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Morbi posted:

Well reading this post went from "stressful" to zero pretty quickly
Sorry for the false alarm :shobon:

Pavlov posted:

Was it https related? My browser always tests if a site can use https before http, and it's telling me the site has an improperly configured ssl certificate. Works fine with plain http though.
gently caress if I know. For a little bit it was only throwing it on Poppy's website, which is why I posted. Then it was throwing it randomly on a whole bunch of sites on Firefox and whatever IE is called now. I went ahead and updated the main application (eset whatever) since there was a new version, restarted, and did a full scan and nothing showed and the false alarms were gone. That's kind of how my luck has been going lately, first Adobe CC has to have evertying uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstalled, reinstalled, repeat and then finally my macbook can update to the new versions, and now this poo poo on the PC. :rolleyes:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Parts Kit posted:

Sorry for the false alarm :shobon:

gently caress if I know. For a little bit it was only throwing it on Poppy's website, which is why I posted. Then it was throwing it randomly on a whole bunch of sites on Firefox and whatever IE is called now. I went ahead and updated the main application (eset whatever) since there was a new version, restarted, and did a full scan and nothing showed and the false alarms were gone. That's kind of how my luck has been going lately, first Adobe CC has to have evertying uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstalled, reinstalled, repeat and then finally my macbook can update to the new versions, and now this poo poo on the PC. :rolleyes:

Eset had a bad update this week that false reported a bunch of websites.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
Attached to the webcomics leading to work in other places...

Also, even if your webcomic isn't a CRAZY hit it can still prove your reliable/can do good work. That alone can get you work
http://www.amazon.com/Buffy-High-School-Years-Book-Two/dp/1506701159/
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/25-981/Misfits-of-Avalon-Volume-2-The-Ill-Made-Guardian-TPB

KellHound fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 3, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Holy poo poo, Shiga, you moron, mustard gas doesn't just gently caress up your lungs.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Demon is still going then, I take it?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
And it's as dumb as it ever was. Dumber, even.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Given his fondness for idiocy with things like cum knives, you'd think he'd take the time to showcase breathing through a piss soaked rag, which is something that you could actually do to protect against mustard gas.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

A.o.D. posted:

Given his fondness for idiocy with things like cum knives, you'd think he'd take the time to showcase breathing through a piss soaked rag, which is something that you could actually do to protect against mustard gas.

There's still time!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Girl Genius just brought out a major puzzle piece.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Before I check, are they currently in any large, fortified building?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

A nose?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Before I check, are they currently in any large, fortified building?

They are underground!

A large, fortified underground facility.

So far we've gone from a large, fortified airship to a large, fortified castle to a large, fortified underground library. I think we're just descending.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically, all of Paris became part of Castle Heterodyne. So they still haven't left. :getin:

But really, the plot's picked back up. It's not as free and loose as it was when Agatha was with the theater troupe, but it's no longer the same big, long, siege. And now that this timey-wimey poo poo is coming out, it's almost like there's a light at the end of the tunnel towards all that foreshadowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

is the light another castle

• Locked thread