Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

You're alive and in society, so yeah it loving is.

It isn't my problem with regards to finding a hypothetical joke story idea appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lurdiak posted:

That's stupid, there's nothing gritty about most golden age heroes and those guys were basically serial killers.

Well, yes and no. A lot of it depended on their popularity; Batman and Superman started out being pretty dangerous guys, then as they got to be popular with the kids (which was only a few years in), editors started being like "whoa, Batman only shoots to wound!" and then "Batman doesn't shoot, period". Which is how you get stuff like the radio version of The Shadow, who's reduced to using his ability to cloud men's minds to go and sneak out what the criminals are doing, and then... call the police on them.

You still had stuff like Captain Marvel shooting fleeing men in the back with a machinegun in the old film serials (mind, they were foreign bad guys, and so a white American shooting them in the back was probably still legal), but some comic book editors were concerned about that sort of thing well over a decade before Seduction of the Innocent. It wasn't so much that Golden Age heroes were more bloodthirsty, but that there just weren't the same established conventions for how superheroes were supposed to act until the Comics Code landed and codified things for most publishers.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I would just personally like something like that.

Pretty sure this is an example of the problems we have with you, sorry.

Also, if you think people being poo poo irl isn't your problem, you're really naive.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Stop letting WickedHate turn conversations to be about her.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
People should stop jumping on every little thing I say and making conversations about me. I'm dropping it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Squizzle posted:

Stop letting WickedHate turn conversations to be about her.

Let's talk about Squizzle instead. I heard if he touches Wickedhate they'll explode like matter and anti-matter.

Joking aside, what is everyone's favorite comic book weapon/item/artifact? Cap's shield? Thor's hammer? The cosmic cube? Doom's time travel platform? The Infinity Gauntlet is a pretty obvious choice, but I'm also a big fan of the Mother Box.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Die Laughing posted:

Let's talk about Squizzle instead. I heard if he touches Wickedhate they'll explode like matter and anti-matter.

Joking aside, what is everyone's favorite comic book weapon/item/artifact? Cap's shield? Thor's hammer? The cosmic cube? Doom's time travel platform? The Infinity Gauntlet is a pretty obvious choice, but I'm also a big fan of the Mother Box.

I'm a big fan of Rick Jones's Big Room o' Memorabilia.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like the cosmic rod. It has such a cool design, and Jack and Stargirl both wield it in a way that feels realistic and badass at the same time. Cap's shield is neat but it's the first thing every writer breaks to show how serious things are. It's the Worf of Marvel Comics.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

obscure pick: that one glove thingy Hawkman had that one time that let him hit Superman with the cumulative force of earth's gravity or something in Superman/Batman. not a particularly good comic, but I always thought that thing was cool. ride or die for Hawkman.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I know it's gotten talked about to death because it has got a Bat-Butt in it right now, but I really love the Mobius Chair. Ultimate knowledge paired with ultimate laziness.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Die Laughing posted:

For some reason I always really liked those little discs that Mister Miracle uses to fly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

obscure pick: that one glove thingy Hawkman had that one time that let him hit Superman with the cumulative force of earth's gravity or something in Superman/Batman. not a particularly good comic, but I always thought that thing was cool. ride or die for Hawkman.

Oh, I liked that one armor Batman used against Superman and the JLA last year or the year before. It took down the rest of the League but as soon as Superman entered the fight it was a realistic scramble for Batman to stay alive, which I like. The idea of Batman ever standing toe to toe against Superman(or Darkseid, etc.) is just dumb. It's cooler and makes me actually root for him when he really is the underdog and not just Iron Man with a black coat of paint.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

For some reason I always really liked those little discs that Mister Miracle uses to fly.

It is a design that can really only work in comic books without looking too stupid (and don't get me wrong, they can look really goofy) but I like those too. They are probably silent, but I always think that Mister Miracle is making little "woooosh" sounds whenever he flies around with them. The New Gods just have a lot of out there and cool items.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dr. Hurt posted:

It is a design that can really only work in comic books without looking too stupid (and don't get me wrong, they can look really goofy) but I like those too. They are probably silent, but I always think that Mister Miracle is making little "woooosh" sounds whenever he flies around with them. The New Gods just have a lot of out there and cool items.

The Astro Harness has never stopped looking weird as hell to me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ooo good call, those are rad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've never liked most of Kirby's New Gods designs but the N52 actually went a long way towards salvaging Orion and his harness' look.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

WickedHate posted:

I've never liked most of Kirby's New Gods designs

I didn't understand why people were giving you poo poo until this very second. :argh:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

There's a crowd shot in some shortly-post-7S event comic where Shilo Norman is floating with both feet on a single aero-disc, his arms outstretched so his whole pose is cruciform. I always liked that image; it felt like the artist actually read 7S: Mister Miracle.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Uthor posted:

I didn't understand why people were giving you poo poo until this very second. :argh:

I'm a fan of Kirby's other designs. :( I would kill to watch a Celestial football game or that Shakespeare play he did costumes for.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I've always liked The Green Goblin's glider, specifically when it looks close to how it does in the 90s cartoon, purple with a face on the front.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Yeah I'm just realizing New God transportation is the coolest poo poo all around.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

WickedHate posted:

that Shakespeare play he did costumes for.

What??? Link please!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle posted:

There's a crowd shot in some shortly-post-7S event comic where Shilo Norman is floating with both feet on a single aero-disc, his arms outstretched so his whole pose is cruciform. I always liked that image; it felt like the artist actually read 7S: Mister Miracle.

Found it. From 52 #1:

Apologies for the sloppy crop job. But check out how much that owns.

e:

Uthor posted:

What??? Link please!

Biff! Bam! Pow! Shakespearean stage performance isn't just for kids anymore!

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 27, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, yes and no. A lot of it depended on their popularity; Batman and Superman started out being pretty dangerous guys, then as they got to be popular with the kids (which was only a few years in), editors started being like "whoa, Batman only shoots to wound!" and then "Batman doesn't shoot, period". Which is how you get stuff like the radio version of The Shadow, who's reduced to using his ability to cloud men's minds to go and sneak out what the criminals are doing, and then... call the police on them.

You still had stuff like Captain Marvel shooting fleeing men in the back with a machinegun in the old film serials (mind, they were foreign bad guys, and so a white American shooting them in the back was probably still legal), but some comic book editors were concerned about that sort of thing well over a decade before Seduction of the Innocent. It wasn't so much that Golden Age heroes were more bloodthirsty, but that there just weren't the same established conventions for how superheroes were supposed to act until the Comics Code landed and codified things for most publishers.

I didn't say ALL of them were killers, and I was counting pulp guys like Sandman in that definition too, not just superheroes. And again, nobody would call that stuff gritty.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

another dark horse candidate (no pun intended): Grendel's awesome double-forked lance.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

3 words: Boxing. Glove. Arrows.

Sorry Hawkeye but until you develop boxing glove based technology, you remain the inferior arrow-based hero in comic books

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Sorry Hawkeye but until you develop boxing glove based technology, you remain the inferior arrow-based hero in comic books

Unmature
May 9, 2008
She-Hulk's endless collection of back issues that are considered legal documents in the Marvel U.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

Look, let's not start this Hawkeye vs Green Arrow thing again. You don't want to get on Ollie's bad side.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

Look, let's not start this Hawkeye vs Green Arrow thing again. You don't want to get on Ollie's bad side.

Ollie were you carrying that around on your back

what the gently caress Ollie

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Ollie were you carrying that around on your back

what the gently caress Ollie

Better than his front pocket. Do you want Black Canary to get cervical cancer?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

kizudarake posted:

Do you want Black Canary to get cervical cancer?

ugh why does every comic chattin' community get tangled up in this question all the time?????

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

it explodes into a big pile of sour candies when it hits the target, don't worry

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I take back Hawkeye's boomerang arrow. That rules.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It also made it into JLU, in a slightly modified form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPkvcTEqq4U

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dr. Hurt posted:

I even liked them when they were used by an old Shang-Chi antagonist who got worked on by aliens and fought the Silver Surfer.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Soggy Cereal posted:

I just read Kingdom Come. I really enjoyed it, particularly the art.
I found the ending somewhat perplexing, however. Maybe you guys can help clear this up -

1. Why did the 90s antiheroes decide to stop fighting after the bomb dropped? It says that all the same issues that existed before still exist with the survivors. So is the conflict still unresolved? How are Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batsman able to just calmly hang out at a restaurant at the end?

2. What is the moral here? There are overtones of all the superheroes accusing each other of being too militant/fascistic, and Batsman tells Wonder Woman that if she wants warfare, she should just let the bombs drop. But the conflict ends after the bomb does drop, so... that was the solution all along? Kill everyone? That seems to contradict the entire message of the heroes being the ones who want to preserve life.

3. Related to 2, what should Superman have done? Allegedly he lost his moral compass by stepping away from the problem altogether, but he also lost it by creating the gulag. It's really damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't. The book never really answers this question.

4. Did the narrator character actually make a decision? Or did Captain Marvel's decision trump his? Was Captain Marvel trying to kill everyone or just to detonate the bomb in the air so that it would kill less people?

The answer to all of these questions is "Alex Ross wants you to get off his lawn"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Claw of Horus.

Shame on you all for not giving All Black, The Necrosword a shout out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ooo, The Satan Claw is pretty slick too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The Spear of Destiny is a pretty neat plot device object, especially when Hitler uses it to keep superheroes out of the European theater in WWII.