Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

Not anymore. They're no longer masking OERs for promotion to O4 because a number of O2s are holding command.

Oh, well. Glad I'm done caring about promotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I'd really like to try a qual range with one of my personal rifles and see how it goes. No that's not true, I'd like to try it with ALL of my personal rifles. :getin:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

The Rat posted:

I'd really like to try a qual range with one of my personal rifles and see how it goes. No that's not true, I'd like to try it with ALL of my personal rifles. :getin:

You mean a rifle that hasn't been fingerfucked to death, obsessively cleaned by retards with high carbon steel dental picks, and doesn't have a barrel that was shot out four pairs of hands ago? It'd be like cheating.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
the rifle i was given in basic had a broken extractor. I didn't know enough about guns at the times, and the drill sergeants assumed I was awful because I was a wall eyed BCGd little turd. Like one can only apply sports so many times in the 2 or so minutes you get to qualify ughh. Finally after 4 hours of tryng to qualify and getting like 12 hits I got a new non zeroed rifle and got like 23 or whatever the minimum was. Happy days! I hated the range ever since that experience though.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I hated the range ever since the range

yo

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

quote:

I hated the Army ever since the Army

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

You mean a rifle that hasn't been fingerfucked to death, obsessively cleaned by retards with high carbon steel dental picks, and doesn't have a barrel that was shot out four pairs of hands ago? It'd be like cheating.

Yes. A rifle crafted to be an extension of my will :whatup:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
WTF is wrong with you?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I never miss an opportunity to show off my material possessions because they are what defines me as a person

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Teflon Don posted:

I never miss an opportunity to show off my material possessions because they are what defines me as a person

Same but my dilz.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
The Rat and his guns are a national treasure, smdftb faggots.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Guns aren't cool, sorry.

I don't know how other 11Bs didnt get their fill of them while they were in.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Obstacle2 posted:

Guns aren't cool, sorry.

I don't know how other 11Bs didnt get their fill of them while they were in.

I retract my previous statement now

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Guns are cool and just like everything else the Army touches, it sucks the fun out of them. Shooting competitions in the civilian world and shooting for enjoyment in general are a great time. Judging any experience by how it was in the Army is a losing game.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

The Rat posted:

Guns are cool and just like everything else the Army touches, it sucks the fun out of them. Shooting competitions in the civilian world and shooting for enjoyment in general are a great time. Judging any experience by how it was in the Army is a losing game.

good point. The vast majority of experience I have with gun enthusiasts post army is people spending thousands on rifles to only shoot targets 75 yards out once every six months

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Agreement? On an internet forum? :monocle:

Fudds are pretty lame, yeah. Competition shooting is great though. I like it because it's one of those odd things that puts me into that zen kind of state where I'm only focusing on the present and what's in front of me. It's pretty fulfilling and I've learned way more about shooting as a civilian than I did in the Army. That's why I'd like to try a qual range again, since it'd be a good benchmark to see what I've learned since the last one I did in '08.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Only time I ever had fun shooting in the Army was at Ghazni, where the range was just a pit and we could roll up and do whatever the hell we wanted.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

The Rat posted:

Agreement? On an internet forum? :monocle:

Fudds are pretty lame, yeah. Competition shooting is great though. I like it because it's one of those odd things that puts me into that zen kind of state where I'm only focusing on the present and what's in front of me. It's pretty fulfilling and I've learned way more about shooting as a civilian than I did in the Army. That's why I'd like to try a qual range again, since it'd be a good benchmark to see what I've learned since the last one I did in '08.

I cant imagine a person with real shooting experience having much problem with the qual range. It is largely a function of how well you can zero.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the rifle i was given in basic had a broken extractor. I didn't know enough about guns at the times, and the drill sergeants assumed I was awful because I was a wall eyed BCGd little turd. Like one can only apply sports so many times in the 2 or so minutes you get to qualify ughh. Finally after 4 hours of tryng to qualify and getting like 12 hits I got a new non zeroed rifle and got like 23 or whatever the minimum was. Happy days! I hated the range ever since that experience though.

My god this post is dripping with army

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Not being a gun guy, what's the ideal way of cleaning a weapon, particularly something like an M-4?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

psydude posted:

Only time I ever had fun shooting in the Army was at Ghazni, where the range was just a pit and we could roll up and do whatever the hell we wanted.
Yeah a I loved going to the "range" in Afghanistan, because it was just a big lane sectioned off by hescos right outside the gate, and the commander would just take like 20 of us out with the armorer and a shitload of rounds and shoot for like 4-6 hours. We also had brand new M4s.

As opposed to garrison when you show up to the range 2 hours early, then zero, wait another 3 hours, shoot once or twice, then wait another hour for an LMTV to shuttle you back to the company.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

Not being a gun guy, what's the ideal way of cleaning a weapon, particularly something like an M-4?

Not scouring it until you see bare metal but good luck with that in the army.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah if you aren't using corrosive ammo there's no need to get it that loving spotless. Clean it until you aren't seeing obvious soot, oil everything and do a functions check to make sure it's smooth, and call it a day.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Clean off any built-up gunk, put a little bit of oil in it, open a beer.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I don't even clean mine anymore. I just apply some new oil every couple matches. They're filthy, but they run.

Of course I don't have to worry about turning them in to the arms room with some weird cleanliness standards either.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

psydude posted:

Yeah if you aren't using corrosive ammo there's no need to get it that loving spotless. Clean it until you aren't seeing obvious soot, oil everything and do a functions check to make sure it's smooth, and call it a day.

That's what I figured but my experiences cleaning weapons and turning them in thus far is anything but that.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

For a while I was rolling with a left handed Steyr that had the bolt replaced with a right hander. Made a funny whanng sound as the casing hit the other side before (sometimes) coming out the ejection port. eventually we just pulled the cover off the other side which worked ok apart from the cases flying out onto my cheek. I also had one where the safety failed, but luckily they replaced that one pretty quick.

What's the US rifle qual like? Is it timed or anything?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There's a certain amount of time that each target is popped up, so in essence yes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Jaguars! posted:

For a while I was rolling with a left handed Steyr that had the bolt replaced with a right hander. Made a funny whanng sound as the casing hit the other side before (sometimes) coming out the ejection port. eventually we just pulled the cover off the other side which worked ok apart from the cases flying out onto my cheek. I also had one where the safety failed, but luckily they replaced that one pretty quick.

What's the US rifle qual like? Is it timed or anything?

either paper targets or timed pop-up

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

My god this post is dripping with army

at some point I told a drill sergeant "My weapons hosed up Drill Sergeant"

to which he replied

"theres no such thing as a hosed up weapon, priiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivate, only hosed up soldiers!"

looking back I'm just guessing he had no loving clue either

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I remember when the America's Army Video game was released I never had a problem shooting expert.

I just kept going to Ft. Leavenworth Jail because I would shoot the drill sergeant on the firing line

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

MurderBot posted:

I just kept going to Ft. Leavenworth Jail because I would shoot the drill sergeant on the firing line

Same.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

at some point I told a drill sergeant "My weapons hosed up Drill Sergeant"

to which he replied

"theres no such thing as a hosed up weapon, priiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivate, only hosed up soldiers!"

looking back I'm just guessing he had no loving clue either

cycles of function are ancient Chinese knowledge lost in time after all, nobody really understands WHY cases extract and eject, only that they DO and it's important you memorize this so that you can know something is wrong when your gun doesn't work and perform the incantation

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

either paper targets or timed pop-up

How many serials, etc?

We do from 300m to 100m, running between the mounds and then advancing to the 50m, it's pretty good fun now that I'm OK enough to pass it every time. I'll see if I can dig out my NZ AWQ card.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Justin Tyme posted:

cycles of function are ancient Chinese knowledge lost in time after all, nobody really understands WHY cases extract and eject, only that they DO and it's important you memorize this so that you can know something is wrong when your gun doesn't work and perform the incantation

just got to be able to quote it for a board right? Anyhow, I'm way more knowledgeable now, I was just a dumb 19 year old who had never fired a gun until he joined the army at the time :(

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Jaguars! posted:

How many serials, etc?

We do from 300m to 100m, running between the mounds and then advancing to the 50m, it's pretty good fun now that I'm OK enough to pass it every time. I'll see if I can dig out my NZ AWQ card.

We lie down and shoot stuff. We also kneel and shoot stuff. Pretty sure if the range involved running, we'd have mass casualties.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Jaguars! posted:

How many serials, etc?

It's 20 rounds from the prone supported, 10 from prone unsupported and a final 10 from kneeling, and the targets pop-up randomly from 50-300m.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

How many serials, etc?

whoa, that sounds kind of dangerous, who do you think we are, soldiers?

A lot of people don't realize just how much the US Army is babied and treated with kid gloves in the name of safety. Live-fire exercises aren't exercises, they are stage plays where you go through the motions to points A,B,C,D to do action 1,2,3,4. You will SAFELY move to point A to fire your gun at the pre-determined target- see it there?- until it has fallen 3 times, then you will move to point B and do event x.

It's loving stupid and a mockery of soldiering. Our CO actually banned the term "play the range" because he was sick of everyone's bad attitudes about this poo poo. It's so bad that it forces you to think twice about everything you do not because you know what the right answer is, but because you don't want to break a safety rule and get yelled at. On one range, we were to move down a lane until popups triggered in the woods. Well, what happened, there was a popup literally 3 feet in front of me and I froze because I was not sure if I was supposed to shoot it (yes, you idiot) or if I would get yelled at since not everyone was perfectly on line with one another or in the right place or if we were facing the right direction etc. And on top of it all the way doctrine teaches you is completely loving backwards because you're drilled to immediately go prone when you receive contact. Target 3 feet in front of you? First reaction from Army brainwashing is to not just shoot it as fast as you can, but to go prone and ???? maybe shoot it? Tell everyone there's a target in front of you? You're equally likely to get in trouble for tackling the target if it was so close for not only safety violation but for "doing it wrong" whatever that means.

The Army is really good at teaching you how to mow grass but when it comes to actual combat skills, uh, read the ranger handbook and these battle drills I guess, we dunno, check the box and move on, if people die in Afghanistan because civilian prepper fudd magpul tactilol faggots have mastered teaching this better than we have we'll just shift fire and conduct an AAR hooah?

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 27, 2016

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mustang posted:

It's 20 rounds from the prone supported, 10 from prone unsupported and a final 10 from kneeling, and the targets pop-up randomly from 50-300m.

20 in the foxhole and 20 prone unsupported

:corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
running on a range, lol, the army wont even let you do a pt run in broad daylight without having reflective belts. Running at the range, lol.

edit: my brain is completely broken sorry

• Locked thread