Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Went undefeated at fnm with Living End. It helped that 1) my first opponent was bogles, 2) no one plays eldrazi, and 3) people at my LGS don't appear to have much prior experience playing against Living End.

Got a kozilek's return in one of my prize packs which was nice. Really felt sorry for the bogles guy, we played several games after for funsies and it was virtually impossible for him to beat my deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Wurzag posted:

Went undefeated at fnm with Living End. It helped that 1) my first opponent was bogles, 2) no one plays eldrazi, and 3) people at my LGS don't appear to have much prior experience playing against Living End.

Got a kozilek's return in one of my prize packs which was nice. Really felt sorry for the bogles guy, we played several games after for funsies and it was virtually impossible for him to beat my deck.

Is Bogles any good at the moment?
I have the main deck built (except for the two copies of horizon canopy - but I think it can survive without those), and currently working on what to put together for my sideboard.
The last modern deck I had built was goyf-less zoo and that seems to have fallen into a hot, unplayable mess.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bogles is fine if you run well!

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
In that case I'll see about finishing it off and taking it for a spin one night.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
LSV is looking for Abzan Falconers for a GP. It seems that Hardened Scales deck is real. If it had more than a tiny bit over a month left, I'd pick up the pieces for it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Man_alive posted:

I have the main deck built (except for the two copies of horizon canopy - but I think it can survive without those), and currently working on what to put together for my sideboard.
The last modern deck I had built was goyf-less zoo and that seems to have fallen into a hot, unplayable mess.

Bogles should run Suppression Field, which slows cycling. Rest in Peace should probably be in the SB too.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Bogles should run Suppression Field, which slows cycling. Rest in Peace should probably be in the SB too.

That's how I do with bogles.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

notbrant posted:

Into an unknown modern meta(I literally play constructed against someone who isn't my son 5 times a year)
What would be the recommended deck to play:
Blue moon
Rw burn
Grixis control

Blue moon is good if you want to be competitive and don't care about your opponent having fun.

RW burn is the same, except it's not much fun for you either. Also has trouble with chalice which a lot of the eldrazi decks are playing.

Grixis Control is fun and interactive but is trash against the eldrazi decks.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Played against blue moon yesterday and it seemed solid

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BJPaskoff posted:

LSV is looking for Abzan Falconers for a GP. It seems that Hardened Scales deck is real. If it had more than a tiny bit over a month left, I'd pick up the pieces for it.

Is there a link somewhere? Wanted to try something like that, msybe with Drana if mana allowed it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Man_alive posted:

Brushlands are a good substitute for canopies, and cause less life-loss by an average of a fraction of a point since they tap for colorless for free.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

notbrant posted:

Into an unknown modern meta(I literally play constructed against someone who isn't my son 5 times a year)
What would be the recommended deck to play:
Blue moon
Rw burn
Grixis control

Blue Moon is a blast. I've been playing it the last couple weeks. There are a lot of decks that straight up cannot win game 1 if you land an early Blood Moon.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Blue Moon is a blast. I've been playing it the last couple weeks. There are a lot of decks that straight up cannot win game 1 if you land an early Blood Moon.

Welp, you sold me.

Edit: Wait, no, that kills three other of my decks, and would cost several hundred to buy duplicates of those cards.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 27, 2016

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

DoctorOozy posted:

I am tempted but I should be saving my money for the Birmingham Magic Madhouse event.

I was thinking of going, did you go to the Manchester one?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

kizudarake posted:

Welp, you sold me.

Edit: Wait, no, that kills three other of my decks, and would cost several hundred to buy duplicates of those cards.

Sleeve all your modern decks in the same sleeves, switch cards in and out without repercussions.

All 3 of my modern decks are double sleeved in purple KMC hyper mats, so if I need to pull fetches, cavern of souls, common sb stuff, etc I can easily.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Balon posted:

Sleeve all your modern decks in the same sleeves, switch cards in and out without repercussions.

All 3 of my modern decks are double sleeved in purple KMC hyper mats, so if I need to pull fetches, cavern of souls, common sb stuff, etc I can easily.

I hate myself for not thinking about this sooner.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I pulled a Wastelands in a booster today, Expedition reprints don't count for Modern/Standard, right? Kind of disappointing, but I'm not complaining that much even if that's true.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hah I wish, Wasteland in modern might solve the Eldrazi problem (or make it worse)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

My infect opponent did not expect turn 2 Phyrexian Dreadnaught out of Grixis Delver. Legacy owns

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Hah I wish, Wasteland in modern might solve the Eldrazi problem (or make it worse)

Eldrazi already plays Ghost Quarter, giving them a better one seems really really bad

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Eldrazi already plays Ghost Quarter, giving them a better one seems really really bad

Well, the difference is that Eldrazi's bullshit doesn't work at all if their sol lands get wasted, they have no way to play around it and still be doing the things that make their deck so disproportionately powerful, whereas a less degenerate deck just fetches for (or plays) some basics and keeps on trucking with its game plan.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Well, the difference is that Eldrazi's bullshit doesn't work at all if their sol lands get wasted, they have no way to play around it and still be doing the things that make their deck so disproportionately powerful, whereas a less degenerate deck just fetches for (or plays) some basics and keeps on trucking with its game plan.

Wasteland completely killed cloudpost and MUD in legacy so this is true, wasteland will definitely fix eldrazi and not just give them the ability to go t2 TKS, turn 3 blow up your land.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

Wasteland completely killed cloudpost and MUD in legacy so this is true, wasteland will definitely fix eldrazi and not just give them the ability to go t2 TKS, turn 3 blow up your land.

Well, Wasteland hasn't "completely killed" any deck in Legacy, and they all play lots of nonbasics (though they might not fetch for them if they see or suspect an opposing Wasteland). The question in Modern is whether it is a more effective anti-Eldrazi tool than it is an effective tool for Eldrazi against fairer decks.

To use your sarcastic example, would the fair decks rather there not be wasteland in the format at all? Would its absence make their odds better against MUD?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Balon posted:

My problem is that I usually end up having 7 out of 9 decks loaned out/being played by me every modern night, so that doesn't work so much.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
The Hoogs with a hilariously cool deck

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wasteland would be a great tool for Eldrazi mirrors.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Has Eldrazi made much of splash in Legacy yet?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Well, Wasteland hasn't "completely killed" any deck in Legacy, and they all play lots of nonbasics (though they might not fetch for them if they see or suspect an opposing Wasteland). The question in Modern is whether it is a more effective anti-Eldrazi tool than it is an effective tool for Eldrazi against fairer decks.

To use your sarcastic example, would the fair decks rather there not be wasteland in the format at all? Would its absence make their odds better against MUD?

Everyone benefits from wasteland. It's just that it's a symmetrical effect. I don't think MUD is punished more by wasteland than it benefits from wasteland.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rinkles posted:

Has Eldrazi made much of splash in Legacy yet?

It has online. We'll see if that translates to paper tournaments at the Open today.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

It has online. We'll see if that translates to paper tournaments at the Open today.

One Eldrazi deck is 3-0 and it just beat Caleb Scherer apparently.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

Everyone benefits from wasteland. It's just that it's a symmetrical effect. I don't think MUD is punished more by wasteland than it benefits from wasteland.

I would have thought that if there's one deck that relies on a degenerate land base for its power (whether that's sol lands or anything else) and one deck that can get by with basics, including fetched basics, then the latter deck would benefit relatively more from having wastelands in the format. Is that not true?

To be clear, I never thought that Wasteland would "completely kill" a deck like Eldrazi, because if nothing else they can always play their poo poo off Wastes or nonbasics that aren't worth wasting for whatever reasons. It's just that their curve would look more like a fair deck's curve. And of course you're not always going to have the Wasteland, but that goes for any answer ever so it's not really a useful argument.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

I would have thought that if there's one deck that relies on a degenerate land base for its power (whether that's sol lands or anything else) and one deck that can get by with basics, including fetched basics, then the latter deck would benefit relatively more from having wastelands in the format. Is that not true?

One thing here is that decks in Wasteland formats tend to just... not run a lot of lands. The Eldrazi decks in Modern run like 25, including 8 Sol lands. Unless you're clocking them really hard while wastelanding them, Eldrazi can just draw out of it.

I definitely think the Eldrazi deck's vulnerability to Wasteland is overstated relative to the fact that it'd absolutely be the best Wasteland deck in the format.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Command Tower updated for MTGO: No ETA on fixing it, though it's a 'high priority'!

Blech

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I literally can't imagine a good card to hose Eldrazi decks that doesn't specifically have the word "Eldrazi" in the text somewhere. I think an Eye of Ugin banning is forthcoming.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

I definitely think the Eldrazi deck's vulnerability to Wasteland is overstated relative to the fact that it'd absolutely be the best Wasteland deck in the format.

In a certain sense it definitely would be insofar as it can run wasteland without "color"-screwing itself, and they just slot in to replace Ghost Quarters if nothing else.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

No-drawback "exile target colorless creature" for W or B potentially even with upside like cantripping would hose the deck pretty hard.

With the added upside of telling Affinity and Tron to gently caress off too!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

One thing here is that decks in Wasteland formats tend to just... not run a lot of lands. The Eldrazi decks in Modern run like 25, including 8 Sol lands. Unless you're clocking them really hard while wastelanding them, Eldrazi can just draw out of it.

*After Affinity

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

No-drawback "exile target colorless creature" for W or B potentially even with upside like cantripping would hose the deck pretty hard.

It'd also be clumsy, hamfisted and kill anything colourless they wanted to do in Standard.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It wouldn't be clumsy or hamfisted at all, single mana color creature hosers exist all over the place. Deathmark is a great example, and colorless-only hosers are more narrow and therefore less powerful than colored ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hey Nagle's doing the next set, maybe we'll get a 2 mana moat for colorless creatures or something

• Locked thread