Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Atreiden posted:

The Xian scout was advertised as a two seat ship and sold for $150,-
it recently became hangar ready but only had one seat. A concern thread about this was made and Ben promised to investigate what had happened, since he as the master of ships apparently wasn't aware of the change. The thread was later deleted and the op banned, with no explanation. The ship page was changed to say it had one seat and the ship art was sort of covered, so it became harder to see the two seats.

Ben and Jared did an awkward segment on their latest live-stream, where Ben basically said that one unnamed technician had changed it without letting anybody know and no one noticed this while getting the ship hangar ready.

p-gabz did a fun little video about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C63xAvSQLI

You would think people who have spent hundreds of dollars getting banned for asking innocent question would be enough to make the faithful question the legitimacy of the whole organization. Internet drama has burned poo poo to the ground over a lot less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Blazing Ownager posted:

I still think they were massively dumb as gently caress to try to stuff the starship interiors actually INTO the starship models. That's why this project is so off the rails, not all of the other problems, I honestly believe.

:agreed: From a technological standpoint, I also think this, above all else, is what doomed the project even before it began. Consider that SWG: Jump to Lightspeed figured out how to merge ship interiors, free space flight, multicrew, and ships you could decorate like a house in loving 2004. They were able to do this by layering trick on top of trick, but the end result was fantastic. I feel it was a very underrated expansion, and once they released it, I spend 90% of my time in that game in space. It lacked EVA, but everything else was fun and functional. Over a decade ago.

The insistence on simulating something as vast as space with a loving FPS map, with every object being discrete, and having its own gravity - it's insane. It pisses me off when cultists consider it "ambitious" - it's not ambitious, it's ignorant. Ambition is when you aim for a very difficult yet achievable goal. It's not ambition to say you're gonna do something you, and everyone you hire, have no idea how to accomplish. It's like when Miss America contestants say how they want to "cure cancer". You get right on that, Tiffani - I'm sure you and your friends have all the tools you need.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319406/ten-4-the-dissapointed-now-with-new-and-useless-poll

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wooten posted:

You would think people who have spent hundreds of dollars getting banned for asking innocent question would be enough to make the faithful question the legitimacy of the whole organization. Internet drama has burned poo poo to the ground over a lot less.

They're finally starting to wake up. It took Chris Roberts directly insulting and lying to them and one of their precious autism chariots getting scaled back, with the implication that there is more to come, but people are getting salty.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 27, 2016

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Wooten posted:

I honestly gave up on SC-Backers logic when several of them told me, that you where not entitled to refunds, despite the European consumer laws saying so and that CIG did not have to deliver any finished game at all. Regarding the scout and other ships that have changed, a lot them really believe the defence, that the game is in alpha and things are subject to change, makes it completely okay for CIG to do these things.
I can't thing of any other game or product where I have seen the consumers defend the company breaking consumer laws and outright lying to them.

I mean they released a video where Croberts says he gets annoyed with people asking for a promised gamemode and one where Ben calls Cutlass owners who complain for dinks.

Though these things have woken some backers up, these same backers tend to get banned fairly quickly, when they start asking critical questions.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Is this too poo poo or not poo poo enough for Space Plebian?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Fatkraken posted:

A jpeg with two seats (so you could imagine flying with a friend rather than imagine flying it alone) now has one seat, even though it was being sold as a co-op jpeg until #~#2 week#~# ago

Atreiden posted:

The Xian scout was advertised as a two seat ship and sold for $150,-
it recently became hangar ready but only had one seat. A concern thread about this was made and Ben promised to investigate what had happened, since he as the master of ships apparently wasn't aware of the change. The thread was later deleted and the op banned, with no explanation. The ship page was changed to say it had one seat and the ship art was sort of covered, so it became harder to see the two seats.

Ben and Jared did an awkward segment on their latest live-stream, where Ben basically said that one unnamed technician had changed it without letting anybody know and no one noticed this while getting the ship hangar ready.

p-gabz did a fun little video about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C63xAvSQLI

Holy poo poo I know people joke about the Christ Roberts cult but this is truly some 1984 2 minutes hate poo poo

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ShredsYouSay posted:

Cans need to be rusty/spattered and bottle needs to have a hole in it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I was going to post the link to gamepolitics and ask on here if they'd write an article.....then I saw the website, what the gently caress happened? it's a mess :|

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Glad to see the latest patch is only 19.1 GB.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

ShredsYouSay posted:

Add a rush and bowl stem.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ShredsYouSay posted:

Where are the pain modules stimpizen?

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
Hangar-ready Idris:

]

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Cans made shitter, bottle torn and pain modules installed.

Second seat uninstalled.

https://skfb.ly/LxzX

ShredsYouSay fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 27, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Jontron might be in on the paaarping : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m76z5mgv5_A&t=980s

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

ShredsYouSay posted:

:lmao: perfection in jpeg form

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Ponzi posted:

Hangar-ready Idris:

]

Mrs Spoon is being extensively mocapped for Squadron 42 and will be the first female character in game

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I think somehow this hasn't been done yet

http://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/KBY-3XbZl0UAFGUPqNg

Phoneposting, if someone can gif it tia

And come up with better titles

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 27, 2016

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

cocaine's a hell of a drug

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tokamak posted:

From my understanding it was originally supposed to be one game. When you get tired of doing your MMO bullshit in Star Citizen you could start a single player mission and do something more story focused. It was originally supposed to be a fairly modest campaign to add a bit of flair to the game, but quickly spun out of control into it's own thing. And I imagine having two different teams, with completely different goals, working on the same codebase, also motivated them to sever the games.

No. Money and the fact that they came to realize that the tech simply wasn't there to do Star Citizen, motivated them to do that. They know they have tapped out the Sperg whales on SC; so the split was done in order to engage additional gamers who only wanted that sort of game and weren't likely to stick around for the long haul that SC requires.

Before the split, Foundry42 was working on just that SQ42 game alone in parallel. Now that game is the lead focus; while Spergs get bug fixes to their tech demo, complete with previously unannounced features (ignoring features which have been announced) and effort posts in their changelog.

What these people don't realize is that a LOT of the people who work there, don't like it there. It's a pay check for now. So yeah, most are talking to each other and their friends. And stuff leaks like every loving day. Seriously, a day doesn't pass whereby something new doesn't hit me. Hence my tweets from a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/703331016946159617
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/703330409057226753
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/703329949785186304

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

AugmentedVision posted:

You could make an identical looking plot for Star Citizen but they'll just say it's an alpha

You could probably do what some did a while back: put stream viewer numbers against each other. This is a hotly anticipated, revolutionary game that will save PC gaming, right? So obviously the crowds will be flocking to see even a preview of the latest fantastical news from the dream factory, and the front page says there are already over one million interested parties. Then compare that sky-high viewership against something like, say, a boring old barely-3D, low-fidelity strategy game where the player just clicks random buttons and locations on the screen…

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

I still think they were massively dumb as gently caress to try to stuff the starship interiors actually INTO the starship models. That's why this project is so off the rails, not all of the other problems, I honestly believe.

If they had faked it and had the starship interiors on their own server somewhere just being an FPS level with trigger events linked to the ship status and some window portals we had back in the freaking Prey days, this whole project would have been a cakewalk. But no, people have THE DREAM of sticking full interiors instead of ship models that are then whizzing around in 3D space, and trying to sector the stuff off to save the server, without considering that is a net code (and everything code) loving nightmare.

Seriously, it's Crysis. Make some ship interiors, linked them to a decent space game, and tada you have what anyone wants. People who aren't happy unless the models are REALLY INSIDE and their glass windows are fools, which apparently includes the project director now.

Is there any reason why you could not simply do the physics simulation for the stuff moving inside the ship (including commandos) using a separate, static interior model, and then simply render it inside the moving ship?
The ships are rigid objects and the interior feels no inertial forces no matter how crazily they are flying, it should not be any more complicated than adding the ship origin vector (and rotation) to all interior object coordinates and player avatar viewpoints prior to rendering. No need for trickery like window portals.

The only complicated issue I can see here are objects leaving/entering the ship, which need to be moved from the interior physics simulation to the space simulation when they cross the threshold.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

runsamok posted:

This is how the 2-pilot thing was supposed to work:

Giant image available @ http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starcitizen/images/c/c9/Xian_scout_ship_cockpit_workings.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140704213807

I think by "blocked in" they mean "with zero outside visibility" because CryEngine doesn't do multiple viewports or non-screen viewports or some poo poo like that correctly (hence the lost opaque cockpit & new loltacular vertical bars)

No, that's not it. Because how else were they able to do that in multi-crew ships? It's the same thing. This fighter is just a multi-crew fighter they gimped. And my guess is that it probably has a lot to do with SQ42, than it does SC.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MedicineHut posted:

Here you have a translated quote from this Top Head Cultist, lets call him THC, with regards to the recent split of the game, trying to rationalize the price hike after some of our local gaming press dared to critizice CIG´s decision and the consequent debate in our forums.

"Other alphas cost more"

As you can see the same dissonance types (THC is in by several thousands of €, but SC is still cheaper than anything else) can be observed in other communities. Although in this case it is elevated to an order of magnitude with the last sentence: For clarity, the vast majority of fellow compatriots following Star Citizen news do it mostly exclusively through THC´s daily translations and his personal commentary on the news (it is our equivalent to INN. Just... worst)

Thanks for the translation :). That's a rather disingenuous pricing comparison. If you want the full Star Citizen experience, you're also going to need to pay for Squadron 42 episodes 2 and 3 which are supposed to be full priced "AAA games" :rolleyes:. The paranoia about the press being against Star Citizen is risible.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sabre wings , dont move like the concept art

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Derek Smart does it concern you that when SC fails that you will probably not be able to do anything game related for years without the trolls coming out to destroy it in retaliation? Because obviously its your fault this game sucks or whatever they tell themselves.

Nope. No concern at all. In fact, I'd like them to continue hating me as a reminder that I lurk in their wildest wet dreams.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

D_Smart posted:

Nope. No concern at all. In fact, I'd like them to continue hating me as a reminder that I lurk in their wildest wet dreams.

Stone cold, not sure why I expected any less.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

D_Smart posted:

That is HOT!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Herman Merman posted:

Is there any reason why you could not simply do the physics simulation for the stuff moving inside the ship (including commandos) using a separate, static interior model, and then simply render it inside the moving ship?
The ships are rigid objects and the interior feels no inertial forces no matter how crazily they are flying, it should not be any more complicated than adding the ship origin vector (and rotation) to all interior object coordinates and player avatar viewpoints prior to rendering. No need for trickery like window portals.

The only complicated issue I can see here are objects leaving/entering the ship, which need to be moved from the interior physics simulation to the space simulation when they cross the threshold.

Yes, the difficulty of having interaction between spaces is the only reason for not doing it that way. You'd still have to use a portal system of some sort for those interactions but here's the thing: the means for doing that existed in Unreal — the first one, from 1998.

Now, granted, there were limitations to that engine that made it so that you couldn't fully do what they're going for. For on, UE1's portals didn't get along with some hitscan weapons. You were just shooting a wall texture, after all, and while the renderer knew what to draw on that surface (viz. some completely different part of the level), the game logic for the weapons didn't know that. Weapons that fired projectiles worked because it was an in-game object being moved through the level, which would enter the portal volume and be transported like anything else. Another limitation was that all these surfaces and meshes had to be parts of the static BSP tree. They couldn't be movers and could definitely not be part of any kind of moving actor object.

…but that was almost 20 years ago.

Another “immershun” argument the sane solution was damage states. There was some old PPT-slide bullet point making the rounds about how you'd be able to dynamically blow holes in the opponent's ship and see new stuff inside of it. Now, putting aside the silly amount of effort trying to make that work in relation to the fact that most ships will just explode when sustaining that kind of damage, the whole “dynamic” part was a pipe dream to begin with. Like everywhere else, it would be done with predetermined damage states on different meshes, and at that point it's a solved problem regardless: both the ship model and the ship “level” display the same state, and communicating this between the two instances is a truly trivial amount of data.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

D_Smart posted:

:five:

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
I wish I had time to do this better, but effort

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6404880/#Comment_6404880

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

zcrow posted:

:perfect:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I have yet to see anyone who really hates Steam give a coherent explanation as to why they are so awful.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Kavak posted:

I have yet to see anyone who really hates Steam give a coherent explanation as to why they are so awful.

That's because the only real problems they have is poo poo customer service, everything else is fine.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

zcrow posted:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

alf_pogs posted:

cool stuff sandi

seriously if chris is up coding at midnight i am hoping hes cramming a second chair in where it never used to fit

Except a) she's lying - Chris doesn't code for this game b) she's talking about programmers in general c) she's lying - again

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

zcrow posted:

It's brilliant :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D1E posted:

OK serious effortpost here:

How in the world is CIG going to explain themselves when they inevitably announce that SQ42 will be released for consoles? Will they go the "technically-speaking" route and say "we said STAR CITIZEN, not SQ42. They're completely separate games!" notwithstanding that at the time of his statement that was not the case. Will they go the "rogue engineer" route and claim some industrious but misguided software programmer took it upon himself to port the game to PS4 and Xbone all by himself, and did so on his free time, outside of work entirely - so that no one at the company knew about it? Will they say "well things have changed a LOT since 2013; consoles today are mini-supercomputers!" completely disregarding that we're in the exact same console generation today as we were in November 2013?

We know this is happening, as we have confirmation from our inside source. We also know they are making the fidelity lovely and decreasing the complexity on everything, including the flight models. So they WILL announce a console version eventually...

Directly quoting the mushmouth himself:

“Star Citizen IS a PC game. It will NEVER be dumbed down for a lesser platform. We will NOT limit the input options or supported peripherals to the lowest common denominator. We will NOT pass on features and technology just because they will only run on some hardware configurations.”

“I LOVE the PC as a platform because it is open, is always moving forward, with new powerful components (usually at cheaper prices) becoming available to gamers available every year. A $3,000 high end PC gaming rig of today wipes the floor of dedicated graphics supercomputers costing over $1M 10 years ago. People were amazed at being able to get Giga flops of performance. Now we can obtain over 5 TERA flops on a single PCI-E GPU!!! The PC platform is great because it isn’t static. It doesn’t have rules or some controlling entity that decides what will and won’t be in the eco system. If a cool new disruptive technology like the Oculus Rift comes along it can have a chance to gain traction and become the next big thing. Because of this Star Citizen will always be primarily a PC game and will embrace the best and newest tech.”

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/19/star-citizen-will-never-be-dumbed-down-for-consoles/

EDIT: maybe don't come up with really good ideas to give those loving morons. We know they read this thread and use it for planning their entire corporate strategy.

SQ42 is coming to consoles. It just hasn't been publicly announced yet.

And they will totally frame it as saying that this is SQ42 and not Star Citizen. They would be right; since they've up and split the games into two parts.

• Locked thread