Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

chippy posted:

e: Oh no, maybe not. Sorry :( It looks like Bookerly came in with 5.6.5. That's odd, I thought Paperwhites all got the same updates.

I think there's some odd discrepancy between the 2012 Paperwhite and the later generations. Processor speed perhaps?

Not that of a big deal. As long it reads books, who cares?

Bookerly would have been nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
I have an old keyboard kindle that I'm looking to upgrade. I use calibre to put epub and mobi books on it. Can I still do that with the new paperwhite and/or voyage?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Present posted:

I have an old keyboard kindle that I'm looking to upgrade. I use calibre to put epub and mobi books on it. Can I still do that with the new paperwhite and/or voyage?

Yeah, you can. Just get a new Paperwhite and be happy. I made the same upgrade and am pleased.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Present posted:

Amazon has never released a Kindle that you couldn't just stick files on over USB, and probably never will. Kinda goes against their whole planning, because they know tons of people buy them just to put pirated or plain old public domain books or work documents on there.

I recommend though that you convert both EPUB and MOBI format books to AZW3 in Calibre though, because AZW3 handles all of the EPUB features including some MOBI can't, and also compresses content better than MOBI format books do, which means they take less space and the Kindle can open them faster.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

fishmech posted:

Amazon has never released a Kindle that you couldn't just stick files on over USB, and probably never will. Kinda goes against their whole planning, because they know tons of people buy them just to put pirated or plain old public domain books or work documents on there.

I recommend though that you convert both EPUB and MOBI format books to AZW3 in Calibre though, because AZW3 handles all of the EPUB features including some MOBI can't, and also compresses content better than MOBI format books do, which means they take less space and the Kindle can open them faster.

Unless something changed you can't mail your device an azw3 file though.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Snuffman posted:

So I take it the 2012 Paperwhite isn't getting the new software update? Man, I wanted Bookerly. :(

Download the bookerly font files.
Download calibre.
Go to Preferences > Conversion > common

Load bookerly into the system and then tell it to embed:

Convert to AZW3 and sideload via USB.

On the PW, open the book and select publisher font. You now have bookerly!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

You can install new fonts with jailbroken kindles right? Without the need for book specific conversions?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

hope and vaseline posted:

You can install new fonts with jailbroken kindles right? Without the need for book specific conversions?

Yes, either by using font hack or by installing KOReader. The latter will give you epub/fb2/many other format compatibility as well.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Has anyone else read JPod by Douglas Coupland? Almost every page has this weird hanging indent that seems to start a random distance down the page, and I'm not sure if it's intentional or some sort of typesetting error with the ebook.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

chippy posted:

Has anyone else read JPod by Douglas Coupland? Almost every page has this weird hanging indent that seems to start a random distance down the page, and I'm not sure if it's intentional or some sort of typesetting error with the ebook.

I read the physical book and that book had a lot of the weird typesetting experimentery that the Kindle just isn't that good at handling. It barfed hard on the stylized "J" in the novel of the same name, too.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Is it available in ePub/AZW3? Those are generally a lot better at formatting than MOBI, and you can read AZW3 on stock firmware, while ePub requires a jailbroken Kindle.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Calibre's heuristics tends to fix a lot of problem books, and gives you at least a consistent experience even if it isn't 100% what was intended. You can always use the regex to swap some tags throughout the book if there's something that keeps coming up that you want changed.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201630670

Kindle Voyage software update out: 5.7.2.1. I assume it's bug fixes for the initial 5.7.2 release.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there a reason why my Paperwhite never updates on its own? I don't really mind having to plug it in when I have access to a computer but it just seems sort of weird that it never seems to get pushed to me.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

How do I update my 2012 Kindle Paperwhite with this "critical software update"? You know, the one that if I don't get it I cant access the Kindle bookstore after March?

I have 5.6.1.1, which appears to be the latest update according to Amazon's manual update site. Am I safe?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

5.6.1.1 is the version the PW1 needs to be compliant.
There's a breakdown on the website to help avoid confusion
code:
Kindle 1st Generation (2007)	1.2.1
Kindle 2nd Generation (2009)	2.5.8*
Kindle DX 2nd Generation (2009)	2.5.8*	
Kindle Keyboard 3rd Generation (2010)	3.4.2 or higher
Kindle 4th Generation (2011)	4.1.3 or higher	
Kindle 5th Generation (2012)	4.1.3 or higher	
Kindle Touch 4th Generation (2011)	5.3.7.3 or higher	
Kindle Paperwhite 5th Generation (2012)	5.6.1.1 or higher	
Kindle Paperwhite 6th Generation (2013)	No Update Needed	
Kindle 7th Generation (2014)	No Update Needed	
Kindle Voyage 7th Generation (2014)	No Update Needed	
Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation (2015)	No Update Needed	
It's a tiny change to the certs in the kindle firmware, probably due to migration from certs using SHA-1 to SHA-256

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Oh hey, we can get the Kindle Voyage officially in Canada now. :canada:

300 bucks. Oof.

They look nice, but man, I hate those origami covers. Shame the "old"-style covers don't properly do the sleep/wake functionality due to the magnet placement in the Voyage.

I assume the location is for mechanical reasons, probably messes with the haptic feedback otherwise.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Snuffman posted:

Oh hey, we can get the Kindle Voyage officially in Canada now. :canada:

300 bucks. Oof.

They look nice, but man, I hate those origami covers. Shame the "old"-style covers don't properly do the sleep/wake functionality due to the magnet placement in the Voyage.

I assume the location is for mechanical reasons, probably messes with the haptic feedback otherwise.

You can easily buy cheap third party Voyage covers of the normal styles, the magnets work fine. This is the one I've used on mine for a long time: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQNI2CQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage (I have it in black, for whatever reason that's not an option at the moment?)

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

RichterIX posted:

Is there a reason why my Paperwhite never updates on its own? I don't really mind having to plug it in when I have access to a computer but it just seems sort of weird that it never seems to get pushed to me.

Mine doesn't update either. :iiam:

Also, is there any way to get the dots back under each title? I really liked the length indicators so I could get a vague idea of how long a book was while trying to pick what to read. I've looked through the Settings menus but haven't seen anything.

nerdpony fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 22, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I believe the devices are picky about only auto-updating while charging and also only auto-updating when the wireless network is at a certain signal level.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Amazon rolls out updates across like a month or whatever, so all devices won't automatically get the update at the same time. You can connect it to a PC and update it manually, however.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a way to get my MOBI books from my PC into my Kindle Personal Documents so that's readable on the Kindle Cloud Reader (ie, in a web browser). It appears that reading personal documents on the cloud reader is an artificial limitation set in place by Amazon, but just wanted to confirm. I like to read in my browser on lunch so I don't have to bring my Kindle to work.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
You can email them to your Kindle email address and they should show up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

They're showing up on my Kindle, but not in the web Cloud Reader, which is where I am trying to get them.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Not when I last tried. Emailed mobis appear in Kindle apps but not the desktop web reader. Don't really understand why Amazon are fine with one and not the other.

If you're desperate for that functionality, I guess you could look into Android emulation?

There's always stuff like Magic Scroll which you can upload epubs to if you don't mind manual entering your new location when moving between that and your kindle account. Or just have a 'work time lunch only' book.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 26, 2016

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I put my Kindle into airplane mode to keep a few unread books a little longer than the Overdrive/READs expiration date. If I download an Overdrive book from Amazon to my PC and transfer it to my Kindle via USB, those other books won't vanish like they would if I turned on my WiFi, right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Siroc posted:

I put my Kindle into airplane mode to keep a few unread books a little longer than the Overdrive/READs expiration date. If I download an Overdrive book from Amazon to my PC and transfer it to my Kindle via USB, those other books won't vanish like they would if I turned on my WiFi, right?

They won't vanish. But next time, just use Calibre with the files downloaded to the PC Kindle reader, and you can strip the DRM and return them early, meaning other people won't be waiting and you can keep them forever.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I haven't used my Kindle Touch in a couple of days and the Kindle software itself seems to be hosed up now. Charged it up and did a soft reset (held the power button down for half a minute, let it sit, and then hit the power button again), and it would just give me a "the selected application could not be started" error. Trying to close out of it or hit the home button doesn't do anything and the screen appears to freeze (but the selection of the close button does register, so the touch screen itself appears to be working). When I plug my it into the computer, I can still access everything on there. Subsequent software resets only cause the screen to flicker if I can't even get that error message to pop up.

Is there some way to physically hard reset a Kindle Touch when you can't access the menu via touchscreen to do a hard reset, or should I start looking for Paperwhite deals? :smith:

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Siroc posted:

I once returned a library e-book and deleted it from my Kindle library via the website, all while keeping airplane mode on my device and not deleting the actual e-book itself. The next few times I connected to WiFi and synced, the book didn't self-delete from my device. I haven't tested it again with another book since then, but it seemed that without the "loan expired" version of the book in my Amazon account, there was no way for the e-book to know that it should've deleted itself.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Is there some way to physically hard reset a Kindle Touch when you can't access the menu via touchscreen to do a hard reset, or should I start looking for Paperwhite deals? :smith:

I don't know if there's any way to fix it yourself, but if not then you should try contacting Amazon support. I've had mixed results with them, but sometimes it's really worthwhile.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

fishmech posted:

They won't vanish. But next time, just use Calibre with the files downloaded to the PC Kindle reader, and you can strip the DRM and return them early, meaning other people won't be waiting and you can keep them forever.

drat, I never thought of this. If I can load the Amazon book in Calibre I did everything right, correct?

Siroc fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 27, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

fishmech posted:

Other people aren't actually waiting though right? It's just a digital copy so whenever someone rents it they send them another copy? Unless the system really is that bad.

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

goodness posted:

Other people aren't actually waiting though right? It's just a digital copy so whenever someone rents it they send them another copy? Unless the system really is that bad.

Usually the library has to buy individual copies so you still have to put books on hold and wait if it is loaned out.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

FowlTheOwl posted:

Usually the library has to buy individual copies so you still have to put books on hold and wait if it is loaned out.

That's how it works? Why don't they sell a license to the library for however many copies people check out. That is really stupid

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Because publishers.

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

goodness posted:

That's how it works? Why don't they sell a license to the library for however many copies people check out. That is really stupid

Book publishers are more concerned with their business and making money than they are making things convenient for libraries/readers. Libraries typically have to pay a lot more to license each e-book and they can't afford to pay for enough copies for every reader. The publishers often also set restrictions on how often e-books can be loaned out before buying a new license.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

They're showing up on my Kindle, but not in the web Cloud Reader, which is where I am trying to get them.

If you convert them to ePub you can upload them to Google Play Books and read them in the browser that way. That's what I do with all the books I get through DRM-free bundles because I hate the way Kindle handles non-Kindle files. It still kind of sucks because there's literally no way to organize anything and there aren't many features, but it gets the job done.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

goodness posted:

Publishers hate libraries.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Nullset posted:

Book publishers are more concerned with their business and making money than they are making things convenient for libraries/readers. Libraries typically have to pay a lot more to license each e-book and they can't afford to pay for enough copies for every reader. The publishers often also set restrictions on how often e-books can be loaned out before buying a new license.

Yeah, that last part is what I find stupidest. They say they want to "simulate the wear and tear" that you get with lending physical books, which is why libraries can only lend a specific copy of an e-book out some number of times under most agreements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Decided to let the battery drain a bit overnight. The screensaver is working but trying to turn it on gets a blank screen or that error. :smith:

Tiggum posted:

I don't know if there's any way to fix it yourself, but if not then you should try contacting Amazon support. I've had mixed results with them, but sometimes it's really worthwhile.
Yeah, I think I'll go this route.