Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Phosphine posted:

This is completely baffling. I mean, I get wanting a smartwatch (I have one {Watch Urbane}), but at those prices? Whyy?

They go well with your condo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah but the colors don't match my condo's pool.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mustache Ride posted:

Yeah but the colors don't match my condo's pool.

Renovate your pool, friend.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Wear: you can have round or square, but you can't have LTE until LG fixes their poo poo

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Phosphine posted:

This is completely baffling. I mean, I get wanting a smartwatch (I have one {Watch Urbane}), but at those prices? Whyy?

$1,500 is not that much money to a lot of people and there is probably a sizable group of people that want a smart watch but don't want to buy a daily fashion accessory from the company that made their washing machine or hawks pre-paid cellphones at Walmart. Also the overall volume is still small, it's being upped to just over 100,000 a year, in comparison it is speculated that Apple sold over 5 million watches.

I'm not saying I agree with them but there is a reason luxury good manufacturers stay extremely profitable.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Three Olives posted:

$1,500 is not that much money to a lot of people and there is probably a sizable group of people that want a smart watch but don't want to buy a daily fashion accessory from the company that made their washing machine or hawks pre-paid cellphones at Walmart.

I wanna live in a world where one of my biggest concerns is spending a paltry grand and a half to make sure my wristwatch wasn't made by a company that once made a VCR.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If they're buying a smartwatch to be fashionable, they have much bigger concerns than who manufactured it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

If they're buying a smartwatch to be fashionable, they have much bigger concerns than who manufactured it.

You are assuming that the fashion market acts rationally. For many an item like a TAG watch is fashionable because TAG says it is.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Three Olives posted:

$1,500 is not that much money to a lot of people

Ahahahaha

haha.

The median household income in the US is $51,000. We're talking about two week's income for a household here. You're in lala land, mate.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Rastor posted:

Android Wear: you can have round or square, but you can't have LTE until LG fixes their poo poo

it's either this or Android Wear: the colors don't match my condo's pool

hmm

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Ahahahaha

haha.

The median household income in the US is $51,000. We're talking about two week's income for a household here. You're in lala land, mate.

Do you not get it? There are rich people. They exist. There are actually a lot of them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ahahahaha

haha.

It depends on if by "a lot" you mean proportionally or absolutely. Are there a lot of rich people? Sure. Do they make up a large percentage of the population? Hell no.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

Do you not get it? There are rich people. They exist. There are actually a lot of them.

No, there are enough of them to make obscene concepts like a $1,500 smart watch possible, but to act like we're not talking about the exclusive preserve of the super-privileged is just wrong.

My household income is ~100k and I don't consider a one-time expense of $1,500 "not that much money", and especially not when we're talking about something like a smartwatch.

I own a moto 360 sport, and I had to consider whether $300 was too much for what is essentially a frivolous purchase.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Android Wear: 1.5K NO

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've owned like five smartwatches which total over $1,500 and I'm not rich, just stupid.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

No, there are enough of them to make obscene concepts like a $1,500 smart watch possible, but to act like we're not talking about the exclusive preserve of the super-privileged is just wrong.

My household income is ~100k and I don't consider a one-time expense of $1,500 "not that much money", and especially not when we're talking about something like a smartwatch.

I own a moto 360 sport, and I had to consider whether $300 was too much for what is essentially a frivolous purchase.

shut up

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

:lol: If you think a household income of $100k is a lot of money relatively speaking. How do you think Neiman Marcus keeps 42 stores in business? Hublot runs billboards in my city and would laugh in your face for saying $1,500 was a lot to spend on a watch.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 25, 2016

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

No u

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Three Olives posted:

:lol: If you think a household income of $100k is a lot of money relatively speaking. How do you think Neiman Marcus keeps 42 stores in business? Hublot runs billboards in my city and would laugh in your face for saying $1,500 was a lot to spend on a watch.

$100K is a lot when you consider it is double what the median household income is, which is what the original comparison was.

$1,500 is a lot to spend on a watch, but especially when you compare it to all of the other Android Wear watches and see that it doesn't offer anything over them other than a brand name.

People who spend high dollar amounts on fashion watches are foolish. People who spend high dollar amounts on smart watches because they are fashion watch brands are extra foolish.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Three Olives posted:

A household income of more than $100,000 is a lot, relatively speaking - if the comparison is normal humans. It's firmly in the upper quintile.

42 stores are gently caress all, especially when you stack them up against the number of stores that aren't obscenely overpriced (I.e Walmart). No idea what hublot is, I guess because I'm not into conspicuous consumption.

I guess what I'm saying is: $1,500 smart watches are for a small intersection of rich people and dumb people.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I guess what I'm saying is: $1,500 smart watches are for a small intersection of rich people and dumb people.

This has to be true, they're obviously selling the things if they're doubling production after only a few months. Even then 200,000 a year is nothing, Apple has moved 7+ million watches in 10 months.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Who loving cares how much people spend on stuff.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Anyone know how to change a default application for music.

When using the "play <artist> <song title>" command it now goes to podcast addict instead of play music.

Any idea how to change it?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Really rich people and really poor people.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I don't give a poo poo but I just think it's weird that people just ignore how huge the market is for luxury goods which for the most part ignore rational pricing and how many of those customers are, a $1,500 watch doesn't even come close to registering on the luxury watch market and smart watches are now officially in the mainstream to the point that luxury buyers are interested in them.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Really rich people and really poor people.

Nouveau riche only.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Android Wear - Squares and circles for really poor people and really rich people

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Three Olives posted:

I don't give a poo poo but I just think it's weird that people just ignore how huge the market is for luxury goods which for the most part ignore rational pricing and how many of those customers are, a $1,500 watch doesn't even come close to registering on the luxury watch market and smart watches are now officially in the mainstream to the point that luxury buyers are interested in them.

Doesn't your dad still pay for your condo?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

If that were true are you suggesting that it would make me somehow ignorant about the luxury good market and high income individuals? The fact is TAG is selling out of the watches, it's highly unlikely that they are upping production to have a bunch of extra unsold watches laying around or lying about upping production. TAG is owned by a technically public company and as such can't really lie about such things.

Maybe instead of calling people idiots for buying a $1,500 smartwatch we should think that maybe it is a good thing that they are being adopted by people in the luxury goods market, such trends do trickle down and make Android Wear seem less like a nerdy toy and a more socially acceptable lifestyle accessory which will drive development of both hardware and software across all tiers.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Oh my god stop talking about the dumb $1.5K smartwatch already.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Some of us can afford luxury goods, and are willing to pay what many people would consider "too much" for build quality, materials, and yes, brand cache.

Keep in mind that, in some industries, it is extremely important to portray success to clients and business partners. It may sound really stupid, but wearing a recognizable $6,000 suit, or $15,000 watch can actually end up helping you make money.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I dunno, I get more attention for my Gen1 Moto 360 than I ever did for my hand me down flashy gold Omega.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mustache Ride posted:

I dunno, I get more attention for my Gen1 Moto 360 than I ever did for my hand me down flashy gold Omega.

That wasn't the point I was making.

Also, I wear a moto 360 most of the time, for the record.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Mustache Ride posted:

Because it is a weird looking watch, there is a reason Motorola added lugs to the new 360.

Now you are bringing me back to the day when people were crowing about how the 360 looked like a "real watch" because it had a round display and barely resembled any watch past or present on the market. Square watches were nerdy unstylish poo poo because square watches have been available as very high priced current, past and timeless fashion accessories for decades.

Don't listen to nerds about popular style decisions, fashion don't make sense and isn't supposed to.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
At the time the 360 started shipping, the only other Wear devices on the market looked like this:

Relative to these shameful nerdbands the 360 looked watch-y enough.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Dr Cheeto posted:

At the time the 360 started shipping, the only other Wear devices on the market looked like this:

Relative to these shameful nerdbands the 360 looked watch-y enough.

Looks sorta like...

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

My boyfriend, bless his heart, got me a moto 360 watch as a gift, but the thing has driven me to insanity trying to get google maps to show on the watch.

Infodump:

The phone is a Galaxy S5 v5.0
The watch has v 5.0.1
Maps is updated to latest version (v9.21.0 or somesuch)

The thing is, I think the Android Wear app is the issue because when I look at the android wear app, I can't see google maps on there.

There are certain "actions" that you can map to certain apps, like 'Take a note' can be linked to commander or google note. But actions that require maps like "Call a car" or "navigate" or "start a run" are greyed out.

So can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to solve it?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

McCloud posted:

My boyfriend, bless his heart, got me a moto 360 watch as a gift, but the thing has driven me to insanity trying to get google maps to show on the watch.

Infodump:

The phone is a Galaxy S5 v5.0
The watch has v 5.0.1
Maps is updated to latest version (v9.21.0 or somesuch)

The thing is, I think the Android Wear app is the issue because when I look at the android wear app, I can't see google maps on there.

There are certain "actions" that you can map to certain apps, like 'Take a note' can be linked to commander or google note. But actions that require maps like "Call a car" or "navigate" or "start a run" are greyed out.

So can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to solve it?

"start a run" may require a fitness app such as Google Fit or the ones Moto provides. However you should definitely be able to "navigate to".

Things to try:

1. Can you run Maps from the apps launcher on the watch? If so, try doing that and see if anything changes.

2. Have you tried turning it off and on again? Meaning both the watch and phone.

3. If that doesn't work, try a "resync all available apps": Open the Wear app on the phone, tap settings gear at the top, tap your device's name, then tap "Resync apps".

4. If all else fails, try to factory reset the watch and set it up all over again.

Once you have it working,

Rastor posted:

Phandroid published "19 tips for every Moto 360 Sport user" but actually the majority of these apply to every Android Wear watch. Some good pointers in here that might not be immediately obvious to everyone.

http://phandroid.com/2016/02/09/moto-360-sport-tips-and-tricks

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Also your watch isn't on Marshmallow as I mentioned in the other thread. There should be a system update available for it. That's under Settings > About Watch if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The first time you try to launch maps from your watch it tells you that you need to accept some terms and conditions on the phone app itself. Just try starting navigation once from your phone to somewhere and see if your watch reacts.