Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I believe the opening shots were fired as soon as the former head of the RGA endorsed Trump

As much as I want to believe it's happening, I have a strong feeling lots of party members are going to break rank and face to Trump once they see the wolves circling for their jobs. I feel like it might be a sudden coup rather than a prolonged battle for the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

In some states he'll have to. There's no way Mark Kirk embraces Trumpism and wins. I think Trump even puts the Iowa Senate race in play, which the wasn't even in the DSCC's wildest dreams last year.

The only thing I see Kirk embracing between now and E-day is his pacifier.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I guess it's the only choice they have, but how does someone like Kelly Ayoette completely disavow Trump, even to the point of running ads against him, when he won the states primary by huge margins. Those republican voters aren't going to look to kindly on her come election day. I expect Trump to pull similar numbers in PA, IL, OH, (if Kasich drops out) and WI, not to mention new purple state republicans looking to unseat incumbent democrats.

Trump has put the all the screws to the GOP and they are in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation...unless of course Trump handidly wins the general. Then good luck getting anything from President Trump when a member of his own party ran ads against him leading up to the election.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Debt clock in the background

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

Flambeau posted:

Debt clock in the background

Kasich is running a fantastic 2012 campaign.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

I’d just be really generous with gifts to family and friends and die with little money in the bank.

Spending drives the economy, so this is basically good.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I was just talking about this in the dem thread but kirks a pretty good politician, has already gone after mcconnell regarding the stalling of Scalias nomination and is mega liberal for a Republican.

Meanwhile duckworths claim to fame is beating a 1 term tea parties who won the wave election by 291 votes

It'll be close and since duckworth is getting primaried from the left there's gonna be turnout/enthusiasm gap issues.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Holy gently caress AL Gonzales speaking for kasich

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

etalian posted:

It's like sending a Shih Tzu to fight a bear

And the Shih Tzu is a hæmophiliac.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

There's a lot of interesting gamesmanship at play here.

If a senator endorses Trump and he loses, they're completely screwed, and the leadership will freeze them out.

If they fail to endorse him, or actively campaign against him, and he wins, the same might happen-- but it might not, since the leadership is likely to remain in place.

There are some senators who cannot possibly endorse Trump. Remember, the ones up for re-election this year were elected in the great Republican Wave in 2010, which means a lot of those seats are pretty shaky. Mark Kirk is one as Joe said, Ron Johnson is another (maybe, depending on how well Trump plays in the Rust Belt... I think that his chances there are being dramatically overestimated in this forum by some of the usual suspects, but we'll see). Rob Portman and Pat Toomey are both lean-blue swing-state Senators, sort of, though calling Pennsylvania a swing state in 2016 is very generous to the Republicans. Toomey is underwater by 15% and Portman by 11%, so their endorsements are unlikely to carry much water for Trump, and if he proves to be bombing there they can bolster their campaigns by making GBS threads on him. There's going to be a lot of people with their fingers to the wind and seeing how Senate endorsements shake out is going to be very fascinating.

The House is a very different dynamic and I wouldn't care to speculate as deeply on it. Look at Toomey and Portman, though, I think how they react to the Trumpenfuhrer is going to be very telling.

TwinsensRevenge posted:

As much as I want to believe it's happening, I have a strong feeling lots of party members are going to break rank and face to Trump once they see the wolves circling for their jobs. I feel like it might be a sudden coup rather than a prolonged battle for the party.

Someone like, say, Roy Blunt has a more interesting decision to make. His primary is August 2nd, and he has a challenger, though I don't have any information about whether it's a credible challenge. The seat is a very safe R seat, so the winner of the primary is likely the winner of the general. Trump is very popular in his state so openly opposing him is foolish, but Blunt has been in for just one term and doesn't really have seniority, and if he defies his party leadership and Trump loses then he's basically kneecapped his career. I'd expect him to be very noncommittal or give a weak "I will support the nominee" style endorsement at best. If he goes all in, that could be interesting and give us a taste of things to come. It helps that his primary challenger is an old-style "DEBT DEBT DEBT" conservative, not a Trump "Conservative," so he's not really ideologically aligned with him.

Trump's surge was too late to really put a bunch of Trumpenstaffel on the ballot everywhere. If he had launched his movement with ideologically aligned candidates in downballot races across the country we'd have a real civil war on our hands. As it stands the best case scenario for Trump is winning and then dealing with a Congress that's ideologically opposed to most of his positions. Look at Paul LePage's tenure to get an idea of how that turns out. Some of them will hop on board out of opportunism, but anyone who opposes him this year isn't sticking his neck out too badly, since they'll next be up for re-election in 2022. They will have another Presidential race to get through, during which time they will have ample opportunity to demonstrate their loyalty.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 27, 2016

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Neural-net processor -- a learning computer, baby.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

User posted:

If you could put off all your income and payroll taxes off until your funeral and then pay them in full, would you?

No. What I would do is use the gigantic loophole you asked for and pay nothing. The government would drown in the bathtub and chaos reigns

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Senator endorsements don't mean poo poo so they don't have to endorse anyone in the first place and have always run away from unpopular presidents/governors when they needed to.

However, this part is awesome.

Feb 20:

quote:

At a meeting of Republican governors the next morning, Paul R. LePage of Maine called for action. Seated at a long boardroom table at the Willard Hotel, he erupted in frustration over the state of the 2016 race, saying Mr. Trump’s nomination would deeply wound the Republican Party. Mr. LePage urged the governors to draft an open letter “to the people,” disavowing Mr. Trump and his divisive brand of politics.

Feb 27:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2016/feb/26/us-election-2016-campaign-live-trump-rubio-cruz-super-tuesday-clinton-sanders

quote:

Maine governor LePage joins Christie in endorsing Trump – as it happened

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hmm a party running negative ads about its own candidate in order to try and make its "real" members look better? Yeah that certainly couldn't end badly for the GOP, especially if Trump were to lose a 'close' election and he can paint it as "my own party sabotaged me because I was a Real Conservative" and I just can't even :psypop:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Adar posted:

Senator endorsements don't mean poo poo so they don't have to endorse anyone in the first place and have always run away from unpopular presidents/governors when they needed to.

However, this part is awesome.

Feb 20:

Feb 27:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2016/feb/26/us-election-2016-campaign-live-trump-rubio-cruz-super-tuesday-clinton-sanders

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Will the GOPe Primary Trump in 2020? Would really be unfair to take on your own sitting President, but I think they have it in them.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Yoko, nooooooooooooooo!

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

The Nastier Nate posted:

What? No!
The argument is that "we know that Trump is going to lose and we need a republican senate to keep President Hillary Clinton in check."
It speaks to the republicans who are willing to vote for Rubio, but not Trump and says don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Of course it also speaks to Trump supporters, and they are a spiteful bunch who might skip over their down ballot republicans who campaign against Trump.

I have no idea where this argument would work though, my first thought would be in moderate states with R races like New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Illinois...but those are the states where Trump is killing it the most.

edit: upon further reading I guess that's what you said but I read it wrong

when its morning i'm not coherent enough to type anything beyond poo poo posting

it just seems like by adopting this strategy they're putting out two different messages. there's one to the sane reasonable (hohoho) republicans they are talking to, saying "we must brace for hillary by keeping the senate republican". but at the same time what are they saying to the trumpeters? "you're going to cost us the election, so at least vote for a republican senate you idiots" but i can't imagine that trump voters are still spiteful enough or consistent enough in their anti-establishment mindset to actually refuse to not jam the button for every name with an R next to it anyway.

but boy if it doesn't work out for them talk about feeding into a stabbed in the back narrative

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 27, 2016

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Michael Corleone posted:

Will the GOPe Primary Trump in 2020? Would really be unfair to take on your own sitting President, but I think they have it in them.

it is my greatest hope

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Michael Corleone posted:

when Trump becomes president he'll found his own party and throw out the lifeless corpse of the republicans

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

The reference is to Congo in the late 1950s and early 60s, where Catholic nuns faced widespread sexual violence and the question was whether birth control could be used to avoid pregnancy after rape.

Francis said Paul VI “permitted” birth control in that context, which, to Anglo-Saxon ears, implies a formal juridical act. The line sparked a frenzy of fruitless Internet searches, as people went looking for a Vatican edict or decree that just doesn’t exist.

Here’s what happened: In December 1961, the influential Italian journal Studi Cattolici (“Catholic Studies”) published an issue in which three Catholic moral theologians agreed that in the Congo case, contraception could be justified.

The future Paul VI, at that stage, was still the Archbishop of Milan, and close to the currents that shaped Studi Cattolici. It was assumed the conclusions reflected his thinking. That appeared to be confirmed later when Paul VI made one of the authors, Pietro Palazzini, a cardinal.

Paul became pope in 1963, and never issued any edict writing that position into law. Thus, when pressed about it some years later, a Vatican spokesman could accurately say, “I am not aware of official documents from the Holy See in this regard.”

Still, the Vatican never repudiated the 1961 position, so the takeaway was that it remained a legitimate option. To Italians — and remember, Francis’ ancestry is Italian, and he’s very wired into the country’s ecclesiastical scene — that meant Paul VI approved.

lmao still at you defending apartheid and calling white flight (most of those white South Africans and Rhodesians left of their own accord) white genocide. The Congo in the 60s for real? In a modern context of the racial makeup of the African continent? gently caress off

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zohar posted:

when Trump becomes president he'll found his own party and throw out the lifeless corpse of the republicans

and he will trademark the poo poo out of it

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Trump's gonna facefuck the Republican party either way, either as the nominee or as a third party so :munch:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Michael Corleone posted:

they would impeach him before doing that

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm not ruling out an assassination attempt by the Koch Brothers :tinfoil:

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Agronox posted:

No. What I would do is use the gigantic loophole you asked for and pay nothing. The government would drown in the bathtub and chaos reigns

I'm not here to attempt to write the tax code obviously. We both know every system can be gamed, including the current one. There's no point in playing if this then that here, because I'm confident you're smart enough to do that on your own if you're interested and if you're not why bother?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
"Anonymous" are now threatening to destroy Donald Trump. They have a count down clock and a video and everything:

http://optrump2016.com/

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Yeah, this is what people don't get. Just because Trump is the GOP nominee does not mean that the GOP has to support him in lock step. Plenty of candidates have won the nomination only to find that the party machinery is letting them dangle in the wind.

It'll be interesting to see if Trump could unify the party or win without the party structure.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

the_paradigm_shift posted:

lmao still at you defending apartheid and calling white flight (most of those white South Africans and Rhodesians left of their own accord) white genocide. The Congo in the 60s for real? In a modern context of the racial makeup of the African continent? gently caress off

It's okay to admit that a bad thing that happened to white people was indeed bad without it making you a racist

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Montasque posted:

"Anonymous" are now threatening to destroy Donald Trump. They have a count down clock and a video and everything:

These the are of the libtard segment. All the skilled people support Trump.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Montasque posted:

What are they going to do, hack his twitter account and post outlandish tweets?

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Democrazy posted:

Yeah, this is what people don't get. Just because Trump is the GOP nominee does not mean that the GOP has to support him in lock step. Plenty of candidates have won the nomination only to find that the party machinery is letting them dangle in the wind.

It'll be interesting to see if Trump could unify the party or win without the party structure.

It'll be interesting to see if the party structure can survive Trump. They still don't seem to realize what's going on here. This is a bona fide insurgency. And if Trump fails, whatever comes along in the next cycle is going to make him look pleasant.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Montasque posted:

This is it guys, this is what stumps him, a bunch of low-T anime watching losers, what a time to be alive!

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

anonymous doesn't stand a chance against the meme candidate, but they should still go ahead and embarrass themselves

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Montasque posted:

Oh boy, I can't wait for them to DDoS Trump's campaign website.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also /pol/ is likely already hunting them down to ruin their internet experiences until the general.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

although it would be pretty laffo if someone hacked his twitter and did something really vile on it

like, apologize to the people he offended or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Democrazy posted:

Can you list examples.

• Locked thread