Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Nope, im good. Getting kinda tired of this crutch in horror.

It makes sense in Lovecraftian horror than anything else. You don't want to see or be near monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It makes sense, we've just had such a glut of it and not really much else in major recent releases. I know lots of people dig on hide-and-seek games, but personally I don't find it remotely engaging when the only major mechanical system in the game is about avoiding interaction.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Irony.or.Death posted:

It makes sense, we've just had such a glut of it and not really much else in major recent releases. I know lots of people dig on hide-and-seek games, but personally I don't find it remotely engaging when the only major mechanical system in the game is about avoiding interaction.

I'm this way too-- honestly I think there's something lost when you bridge the gap between "you can fight the baddies but you're kind of crap at it" that you get in the early part of most Silent Hill games and the like (or Siren), over into the territory of "you physically and mechanically can't beat the thing chasing you". Admittedly I've never played Alien: Isolation which seems to be either everybody's favorite or least favorite example of the hide-and-seek games, but all the rest I've played seem more bent on causing you grief than engaging you in the gameplay.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, fully agreed. I've never really spent enough time thinking about it to articulate my problem with the switch before, but I think it just clicked - I'm going to assert that running out of bullets is fundamentally scarier than not having a gun in the first place.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, I guess in my mind the ideal Eldritch Horror would be something that hides its gameplay conceits. Something like a mix between walking game and adventure like Firewatch or Consortium. I have no love for Lovecraft's writing but the Chaosium RPG has some neat scenarios often involving mundane things until the climax when you encounter the monster and usually run like hell. And that's the end of the game, encountering the monster.

One adventure is investigating the disappearance of a man's family. There are a bunch of red herrings like a creepy shotgun toting redneck who lives in the woods and a fire-and-brimstone preacher who's described as a Dracula-esque vampire. The monster ends up being a byakhee that attacks on a set schedule. It fights the players by hiding, throwing heavy objects, and luring people to windows so it can throw them out. That's the end of the adventure, a game of hide-and-seek with a single powerful creature. It could work as a full game and be just as exciting as anything else coming out.

I said it before but my problem with modern horror games is that they're still stuck on trying to be traditional games. Amnesia was groundbreaking for being conservative with its encounters. Then Soma comes out and ups the storytelling and atmosphere but I think some people fell off because the monsters get in the way. I certainly want to see more horror games that are hard to classify.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Yeah, fully agreed. I've never really spent enough time thinking about it to articulate my problem with the switch before, but I think it just clicked - I'm going to assert that running out of bullets is fundamentally scarier than not having a gun in the first place.

The problem is once you give the player a gun you've already established that conflict is how you deal with encounters. When the player runs out of bullets they're going to either assume they failed and reload or scrounge for more ammo which could cause frustration if the enemy is hounding them during this process.

I'd rather have fewer encounters than fewer resources.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 27, 2016

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'm pretty sure that is a design problem with more solutions than just cutting anything that looks like a resource. You have to teach players that the rules of your game are not the same as the rules of Doom or Amnesia, but that's going to be an issue any time you design something that looks familiar yet isn't mechanically identical.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

al-azad posted:

The problem is once you give the player a gun you've already established that conflict is how you deal with encounters. When the player runs out of bullets they're going to either assume they failed and reload or scrounge for more ammo which could cause frustration if the enemy is hounding them during this process.

I'd rather have fewer encounters than fewer resources.

True, though that's where I think there's a certain amount of leeway given some games-- or there used to be. Like in Silent Hill 2, the complete lack of UI in the gameplay mode kind of helped to sell some of the "realism" of the experience, so when I was playing and James completely sucked at shooting, I could believe it since he was just a normal dude in a freaky world. Or I'd blame it on the fact that my light was off, even if that wasn't actually true in terms of mechanics. I was willing to accept that if I lost all my ammo I'd just have to book it past whatever creepy hellish thing I came up against. Plus Silent Hill 2 did one smart thing and established early on that there were bosses that you'd have to fight (I think, maybe I'm thinking of the first game) and that there was Pyramid Head, who you probably couldn't reasonably hurt. Both of those established that conflict was at times required and at times completely useless, and it was kind of up to you to figure out when either case were true.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

MockingQuantum posted:

Admittedly I've never played Alien: Isolation which seems to be either everybody's favorite or least favorite example of the hide-and-seek games, but all the rest I've played seem more bent on causing you grief than engaging you in the gameplay.

Alien gives you more fighting or at least stunning options as you keep going through the game, by the 3/5ths mark or so you can basically have the Alien gently caress off while you run away or grab something before going back to hiding. You can't really fight back but you can actively hold poo poo off at least.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That and all the threats that aren't the Alien, you can actively fight off and kill.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As long as it doesn't have an on rails sequence where you're shooting frog/fish things from the back of a truck I'll play it.

Bloodborne still best Cthuhu game though.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I feel that games where you have zero capacity to fight back lose a lot of the tension very quickly once you realize what the rules are. Welp, the monster got the drop on me, I hope it kills me quickly so I can restart already. When the outcome is predetermined it's kinda harder to care. The ability to flamethrow the Alien was a clever addition, is what I'm saying.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

woodenchicken posted:

I feel that games where you have zero capacity to fight back lose a lot of the tension very quickly once you realize what the rules are. Welp, the monster got the drop on me, I hope it kills me quickly so I can restart already. When the outcome is predetermined it's kinda harder to care. The ability to flamethrow the Alien was a clever addition, is what I'm saying.

I think the trick is to make the player essentially feel helpless and hopeless without making it feel like a failure on the player's part.

If you run out of ammo in most horror games it can be annoying trying to restock your resources or you're usually left navigating a vestigial melee system. If you just straight up can't fight enemies the game quickly becomes "welp, didn't make it to the cupboard in time, better reload." I actually can't even think of a title that really got this balance right or I'm sure we'd all still be playing it.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The chase scene in Dark Corners of the Earth was amazing. I feel it was the brightest point of that game. It made you feel an adrenaline rush, made you feel they were about to get you, and they are, but it's heavily scripted to make it just right, making your hands shake while you fumble for the door bolts. Too bad that game kinda fizzled after that. It had some really good ideas and ambiance, it's just that the implementation of the actual game part fell short.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hell, the alien actually wises up to the flamethrower after a while. After the first couple of times you use it, just pointing it at it will make it hesitate and if you overuse the flamethrower it might just piss off the alien enough that it'll ram you in spite of the flames. Plus, if you overuse hiding spots or stay in the same space too long it sniffs you out. Isolation was a great game.

Fuckin' loved the Joes.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Pochoclo posted:

The chase scene in Dark Corners of the Earth was amazing. I feel it was the brightest point of that game. It made you feel an adrenaline rush, made you feel they were about to get you, and they are, but it's heavily scripted to make it just right, making your hands shake while you fumble for the door bolts. Too bad that game kinda fizzled after that. It had some really good ideas and ambiance, it's just that the implementation of the actual game part fell short.

I was watching the chase sequence from Outlast the other day and was kinda amused by how similar to the DCoTE chase scene it was. That's all I have to say!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Outlast is pay what you want on the current indie bundle btw

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

unpacked robinhood posted:

Outlast is pay what you want on the current indie bundle btw

outlast gets a lot of poo poo and it's not necessarily undeserved but i had at least $1 worth of fun with it

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I'm mildly intrigued by this game pitch, Year of the Ladybug. I came across it when Masahiro Ito (designer of PyramidHead) tweeted about it. The game's allegedly going to be Silent Hill-ish, but I'm wary. The concept art is gorgeous, but the visual feel is more like a mix of The Evil Within, the crappier Silent Hills, The Cell, and a little bit of Watch_Dogs somehow. And some of the monster concepts from its website are downright loving goofy.

Like, um, this.

Hope this guy doesn't make it to the final game lol.

I think this artist kinda went backwards if he was trying to make "Silent Hill" style monsters. Instead of having a human that has 1 thing wrong with them (a flashlight in the head, a potted plant for a head, a deer for a head... okay navigate away from the HEAD please!), the best Silent Hill monsters are something that's wrong, but has 1 humanlike thing about them. Like Flesh Lips or Abstract Daddies or TwinVictims. 80% monster/20% human is WAY creepier than 80% human/20% monster. :( It's way too early to call it, but I'm not feeling this one's claims of recapturing the Silent Hill vibe, just based on first impressions.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah the designs are just all over the place too and what the original Silent Hill trilogy was good at was having the monsters fit enough a similar enough theme for each game.

You could make more human enemies work but they got to be a lot more subtle in their uncanny valleyness and not a dude with a bonsai for a head, which isn't the scary kind of surreal at all.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 28, 2016

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Forget Silent Hill's designs, people should really take more queues from Bloodborne's character designs for horror, as well as world building continuity. Game's a masterclass in Lovecraftian otherworldly styling with themes that carry throughout from beginning to end. And it isn't even really a horror game, but it does a better job at it than any actual horror game I've seen to date.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Aiden Peirce...?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It also sounds like its setting up an its all a dream ending, which is the lamest thing.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Butt Ghost posted:

Aiden Peirce...?

I can't tell if that's his iconic cap from this angle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Butt Ghost posted:

Aiden Peirce...?

Edit. I'm dumb.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Not gonna lie this image at least is fairly effective surrealism.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
This just in! The artist is a super-sweetie who takes constructive criticism well, so I'm feeling less tentative just based on that alone, lol. Taking criticism well is a HUGE deal, imo. Good on him!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

you should advise them to make a ghost reflecting the political dangers of snipping off foreskin

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

The Saddest Rhino posted:

you should advise them to make a ghost reflecting the political dangers of snipping off foreskin

"here's a guy with a foreskin for a head"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Just a big ol' severed foreskin that follows you around and whispers "did you know that male genital mutilation has been associated with mental illness later in life"

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

A humanoid male whom informs you his partner (presumably a woman, or at least all implications suggest it to be) is actively behaving unfaithfully with another man. The humanoid shows no sign of being upset, and is genuinely aware of the implications.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 29, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

or about the dangers of sticking things in the dillhole

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
DID YOU MUTILATE YOUR SON????!!!!!!!!!!!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Pyramid Head, but with a yarmulke and a pair of scissors.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
That's Clock Tower.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Kokoro Wish posted:

Forget Silent Hill's designs, people should really take more queues from Bloodborne's character designs for horror, as well as world building continuity. Game's a masterclass in Lovecraftian otherworldly styling with themes that carry throughout from beginning to end. And it isn't even really a horror game, but it does a better job at it than any actual horror game I've seen to date.

I'm not very far into Bloodborne yet but I have been really enjoying the monster design. My only quibble is that my brain can only read the bosses I've fought so far as "mass of matted fur" which has been a little disappointing. I'd be shocked though if the game didn't have some huge surprises in store for me boss design-wise.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RichterIX posted:

I'm not very far into Bloodborne yet but I have been really enjoying the monster design. My only quibble is that my brain can only read the bosses I've fought so far as "mass of matted fur" which has been a little disappointing. I'd be shocked though if the game didn't have some huge surprises in store for me boss design-wise.

It does. Keep going and there will be...MANY surprises.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm kinda into Cyanide making the Cthulhu game. Styx wasn't an amazing game, but it was great at making you feel small in a big world. Sure, you could fight a guard or something, but he has friends, and they have swords, so you'd better jack him, grab what you need, and book it. If they can bring that attitude to Cthulhu, it might turn out okay.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I wish theyd just adapt mansions of madness or that other board game to a game scenario. Let you fight and kill monsters, but have an insanity meter that fills the longer you take/are fighting. The wasteland 2 engine would be perfect for something like that.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

oldpainless posted:

Until Dawn is 30 bucks on PSN. Is it worth it?

i bought it at full price and it was worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

OxMan posted:

I wish theyd just adapt mansions of madness or that other board game to a game scenario. Let you fight and kill monsters, but have an insanity meter that fills the longer you take/are fighting. The wasteland 2 engine would be perfect for something like that.

If it was built on Arkham Horror there would be a huge chance that even seeing a monster would send you to the insane asylum, which I'm for.