Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deathrat
May 25, 2010
So I've patched the game to remove the dumb slow diagonal movement, and it feels A LOT less sluggish. Here's a link for anyone interested: http://urcraft.com/download/SV-DiagPatch.zip

I'll probably do an increased speed one too, but not by a huge amount.

Here's one with a little speed increase: http://urcraft.com/download/SV-DiagSpeedPatch.zip

I suggest trying out the diagonal-only one first though, as the speed one could be a little overkill.

deathrat fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
If you play the prairie arcade game make sure to not use the zombie powerup on the zombie boss in the graveyard section. It insta-killed him yes but it also caused the game to glitch out and play both the battle and victory music at the same time with no victory screen or anything. Just my guy standing there looking like a dummy. :negative:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You can enter people's rooms at 2 hearts, so it's not too long.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I feel really dumb asking this but how do I plant something? I've got the ground tilled and wet, ready to receive my seed, but I can't figure out how to do it.

e:

deathrat posted:

So I've patched the game to remove the dumb slow diagonal movement, and it feels A LOT less sluggish. Here's a link for anyone interested: http://urcraft.com/download/SV-DiagPatch.zip

Here's one with a little speed increase: http://urcraft.com/download/SV-DiagSpeedPatch.zip

I suggest trying out the diagonal-only one first though, as the speed one could be a little overkill.

This is exactly the one thing I wanted fixed about the game so far. How do I use this? Drop it in the installation folder and run the exe?

Figured it out but now it seems running diagonally is faster than running in any other direction, and this is using the version without the speed increase. Is it possible to tone down the diagonal running speed a bit, or is this more some funky math related issue? Doesn't, or didn't Half Life have the same issue?

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 27, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Exploit: If you open the menus you can have the haze+monster swarm thing pass in the mines with nothing spawning and time not moving forward.

edit: vvv It will go back to dirt in time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 27, 2016

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
If I gently caress up and till the wrong square, does it ever "go away" back to normal dirt?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Mondlicht posted:

If I gently caress up and till the wrong square, does it ever "go away" back to normal dirt?

Use a pickaxe on the spot.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Mondlicht posted:

Yes. You can also hit it with the pick axe. Careful because you can remove plants with the pick axe.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

I feel really dumb asking this but how do I plant something? I've got the ground tilled and wet, ready to receive my seed, but I can't figure out how to do it.

e:

This is exactly the one thing I wanted fixed about the game so far. How do I use this? Drop it in the installation folder and run the exe?

Yeah, you just throw it in the folder and run it instead of the normal exe. Alternatively you can rename it to Stardew Valley.exe and start it normally.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Upmarket Mango posted:

Figured it out but now it seems running diagonally is faster than running in any other direction, and this is using the version without the speed increase. Is it possible to tone down the diagonal running speed a bit, or is this more some funky math related issue? Doesn't, or didn't Half Life have the same issue?
In a grid based game you move 1.4x (sqrt2 actually) faster going diagonally unless it forces you to move up/down or decreases run speed. This is why diagonal run speed is decreased in this game. It's not actually slower than going left/right.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I feel bad for saying this but does anyone think it's a bit too faithful to the old harvest moon games? Feeling a grind and I've not even finished a year or upgraded all my tools yet. Think I'm going to put it down until there is a faster progression mod.

If the basic sprinkler just needed copper that'd help. Watering plants is a chore.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I found some good tips here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/47ttyx/stardew_valley_tips_megathread/

deathrat
May 25, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

e:

I'll do one with a toned down diagonal speed decrease instead of just outright removing it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

When does iron start showing up in the mine?

deathrat posted:

With the speed increase patch running over crops destroys them, just a heads up.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 27, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm one heart off being good friends with the hobo. This is all I ever wanted :allears:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I hope you can marry the hobo or the wizard

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

To anyone wondering if it's possible to get a higher max energy: yes.

You start out at 270, I'm now at 304.

If you want to know how:
What increases it: You can find Stardrop fruits, you'll immediately eat them and think of your favorite thing, and get a higher max energy.

How I got it: There's one at level 100 of the mines.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Uh, here's an update on that whole arcade game glitch. Apparently it breaks the game for good. I tried playing a new game on a new day and my guy stands there all alone, waiting for enemies that never show up. So be warned. NEVER EVER USE THE ZOMBIE POWERUP ON THE ZOMBIE BOSS! Worst case scenario I'm going to have to start a new game. Gonna try quitting and restarting to see if that works.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Mm, this game doesn't save when you level up bug is a tad bit annoying. Three days now of constant levelups and no prompt that I'm saving, and I don't really want to just waste a day by sleeping.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

deathrat posted:

This is great

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Anyone have an idea how long food buffs last? Thinking about stocking up on coffee for that run speed bonus.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

SubNat posted:

To anyone wondering if it's possible to get a higher max energy: yes.

You start out at 270, I'm now at 304.

If you want to know how:
What increases it: You can find Stardrop fruits, you'll immediately eat them and think of your favorite thing, and get a higher max energy.

How I got it: There's one at level 100 of the mines.
There's also a nightly special at the tavern that can boost max energy. I think it was the bean hotpot

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Does anyone know how you unlock the keg? I've got a bunch of hops that are in dire need of brewing, and more keep arriving every day.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

Wallet posted:

When does iron start showing up in the mine?

With the speed increase patch running over crops destroys them, just a heads up.

Oh god, good catch. That's really weird, I'll see if I can do anything about that.

In the meantime, these are the current 2 patches, first one is the same one I linked earlier:

Removed diagonal-speed-decrease(will move faster diagonally than other directions): http://urcraft.com/download/SV-DiagPatch.zip
Increased diagonal-speed(moves same speed in all directions, or as close as I can get it at least): http://urcraft.com/download/SV-IncreasedDiag.zip

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Eodoin posted:

I wanna say it was around day 20 that I received a letter that he got better stock. Then you can get a Fiberglass Rod for 1800g

I've got my better fishing pole around day 12 if not earlier. I just can't afford it quite yet, but I'm bringing in a thousand gold a day farming, before costs so I'll have it tomorrow, no doubt. There's a couple things I think it could be, but I will note I have Fishing Level 2.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Still #1 on steam, 16,000 in game.

let us reminisce:

drunken officeparty posted:

There is a 0% chance this becomes some sort of overnight sleeper box office hit without multiplayer in yet (0.01% with it) so I think whoever is going to be playing the game is already here

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Glad to see the release of Fire Emblem didn't hurt this game as was foretold

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Anyone following this thread or the game for the past 3 years knew it was going to be big. That guy probably wasn't one of those people.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
tbh I'm not entirely sure how well multiplayer would even work as is.

mcvey posted:

Glad to see the release of Fire Emblem didn't hurt this game as was foretold

Nah, I'm pretty sure it still did. Blowing 75-95 bucks on video games in a week is still going to stymie people... if they even noticed Stardew came out, it doesn't seem like Steam gave it a lot of fan fair, weirdly.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

deathrat posted:

Oh god, good catch. That's really weird, I'll see if I can do anything about that.

In the meantime, these are the current 2 patches, first one is the same one I linked earlier:

Removed diagonal-speed-decrease(will move faster diagonally than other directions): http://urcraft.com/download/SV-DiagPatch.zip
Increased diagonal-speed(moves same speed in all directions, or as close as I can get it at least): http://urcraft.com/download/SV-IncreasedDiag.zip

None of the .exes from this are working for me. Could you package the files straight into the zip rather than use the .exe to install it?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

nutranurse posted:

None of the .exes from this are working for me. Could you package the files straight into the zip rather than use the .exe to install it?

It's not an install, replace your current exe with the exe in the zip or launch it from the directory the current exe is in (steamapps/common etc)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Garfu posted:

It's not an install, replace your current exe with the exe in the zip or launch it from the directory the current exe is in (steamapps/common etc)

Oh ok, that makes way more sense.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Restarting the game seems to have fixed it, I'm back to blasting zombies, thank goodness. I think I heard it mentioned earlier that you can't apply bait to the starting bamboo rod, right? Or can you? If so, how?

Also fishing protip; if you get a chance at a chest, make sure you reel in both the fish AND the chest; if the fish escapes then you won't get the chest even if you filled the meter up, which is kind of dumb. Is the chest attached to the fish or something? :v:

A good strategy, if the fish icon won't get near the chest is to fill the fish bar to near full so you'll have plenty of time to get the chest and get back to the fish before the bar runs out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Blackray Jack posted:

Restarting the game seems to have fixed it, I'm back to blasting zombies, thank goodness. I think I heard it mentioned earlier that you can't apply bait to the starting bamboo rod, right? Or can you? If so, how?

Also fishing protip; if you get a chance at a chest, make sure you reel in both the fish AND the chest; if the fish escapes then you won't get the chest even if you filled the meter up, which is kind of dumb. Is the chest attached to the fish or something? :v:

A good strategy, if the fish icon won't get near the chest is to fill the fish bar to near full so you'll have plenty of time to get the chest and get back to the fish before the bar runs out.

the starting rod (bamboo) can't use bait

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Don't get knocked out in the mines it is garbo. You lose 500 gold, several random items, and 10 levels from your elevator progress.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Don't get knocked out in the mines it is garbo. You lose 500 gold, several random items, and 10 levels from your elevator progress.

it is the woooorst

It kinda seems like it only takes mine loot and not like, you tools or something, tho. So there's that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you really, really shouldn't overextend yourself in the mines. it's not worth going down another level if you're basically on the brink and/or it's nearly midnight. as it is you basically need to dedicate most of a day to spelunking anyways, so come back the next day as early as you can once you've done your chores and you should be able to knock out like 10 levels easily.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Johnny Joestar posted:

you really, really shouldn't overextend yourself in the mines. it's not worth going down another level if you're basically on the brink and/or it's nearly midnight. as it is you basically need to dedicate most of a day to spelunking anyways, so come back the next day as early as you can once you've done your chores and you should be able to knock out like 10 levels easily.

I've gotten super lucky and on my last point of energy found the ladder to a elevator level then bounced.

At what farming level does the Quality Sprinkler unlock? I don't want to build up these crappy basic ones when I'm probably close to the next level.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Is it possible to split stacks? :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
where do I get a keg, my future mother in law likes IPAs i guess

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Is it possible to split stacks? :saddowns:
right click in the inventory screen (hitting escape)