Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
You can choose between a new rule for the february thread! What will it be?
This poll is closed.
Don't diss the Creativision. Also "Cretinvision" will get wordfiltered to "I am an rear end in a top hat" 22 10.19%
If you talk about Papyrus you will need to refer him as Mr. Papyrus, unless the author changes the pronoun. 70 32.41%
Everyone who posts in pages before the third and after the second has to write I love videogames at least once and never talk about ponies. 77 35.65%
Do not attach pools to the thread. Pools divide the community in fatties and sportys and they are highly triggering. 47 21.76%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Hog Inspector posted:

He's literally the only one in this thread who had a problem with that.

Actually I really don't have a problem with it. It was at most a questionable choice.

I just want the GOTY version they made for the Limited Edition to be mass released instead of being tied to the LE, that's my biggest problem with the game. I have every single fire emblem game they released in north america and even have some of the japanese ones, so when they do stuff that make people like me hesitate in buying the newest installment, they kind of hosed up somewhere.

More than likely what they did for Fates isn't going to effect it right away but will definitely effect the next mainline fire emblem game in some sort of negative fashion. Word of mouth is how 99% of RPGs sell and it's rare to have this much negativity surrounding an RPG game, it's Dragon Age 2/Mass Effect 3 grade levels of unsatisfaction.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This Ys franchise, which I have never heard of before, has piqued my interest. Playing the demo for Origins right now on steam, but unfortunately I only have mouse+keyboard :barf:

I would definitely play this type of game with a proper gamepad. I wonder if my 10+ year old usb gamepad still works...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Snak posted:

This Ys franchise, which I have never heard of before, has piqued my interest. Playing the demo for Origins right now on steam, but unfortunately I only have mouse+keyboard :barf:

I would definitely play this type of game with a proper gamepad. I wonder if my 10+ year old usb gamepad still works...
All of the Ys games on Steam are worth playing! The only controversial ones might be Ys I & II because they're older than the rest and use some quirky mechanics that the rest don't. Still a lot of fun if you like old school action RPGs.

I can't imagine being able to beat any of them with a keyboard though, they're generally very hectic and hard.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I played through the first half of Oath in Felghana on mouse and keyboard

It was not a good idea

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

There's probably someone who played them on mouse and keyboard only but I would be scared to meet them

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
While I might bust out a gamepad for my pc, honestly due to general hectic life and dedication to other games, I'll probably just wait until Ys VIII comes out on ps4 and get that. It seems like a really cool franchise though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Hog Inspector posted:

There's probably someone who played them on mouse and keyboard only but I would be scared to meet them

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

No that's the guy who designed the n64 controller

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ys is, like, one of the first action rpgs ever. the first two are actually still pretty good, though ys 2 is a lot better than the first just for having more player input on the combat and much better boss design.

i highly recommend checking out any of the games after ark of napishtim, ark isn't quite a bad game i guess but it's so much worse than everything released after it. oath in felghana and origin are pretty much the two best ys games on the pc.

it's a shame though, all the ys games have great music, but ark of napishtim's soundtrack is probably one the most unique. the later ones are awesome, high-energy rock stuff, but ark has lots of synthy electronic stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6G_nFcAjDk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NyvvCGxRes

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think I wrote that 'cause I read a post of somebody attempting to explain what the joke was and compared it to the Japanese translation and basically did two or three paragraphs to explain the joke and it really reaped my taint

I realized after I wrote it that it was a big dumb effort post that was probably not worth writing but fwiw I agree with you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I too just learnt about Ys today. I wanted to see what kind of game it was, but the Wikipedia article doesn't describe the gameplay at all. I watched two minutes of a YouTube video titled "Dude what the HELL is YS!? " but it just had some nerd talking over a lovely-looking boss fight. So that's my story.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Jay Rust posted:

I too just learnt about Ys today. I wanted to see what kind of game it was, but the Wikipedia article doesn't describe the gameplay at all. I watched two minutes of a YouTube video titled "Dude what the HELL is YS!? " but it just had some nerd talking over a lovely-looking boss fight. So that's my story.

It's similar to old school zeldas, only you don't need special weapons to destroy each boss and instead level up.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
My first experience with Ys was that Wanderer from Ys game on SNES and it was hard as hell for 8 year old me and I never beat it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I know it's pronounced Ees but I always think Yiss

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

codenameFANGIO posted:

I know it's pronounced Ees but I always think Yiss
People will read Ees and say "S"

It's pronounced like the worse Geese just without the G.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It looks like the plural of the letter Y. Of course pluralizing letters actually uses an apostrophe, just to make more edge use cases for punctuation that make no sense.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I just call it whys.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There's no way it isn't "iss".

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
YS in YS stands for You're poo poo

because the games are hard and you're poo poo at it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

The Taint Reaper posted:

YS in YS stands for You're poo poo

because the games are hard and you're poo poo at it.

:owned:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

bloodychill posted:

My first experience with Ys was that Wanderer from Ys game on SNES and it was hard as hell for 8 year old me and I never beat it.
Mine too! Even though no one likes that game I'll always have a lot of nostalgia for it. Personally I prefer it over Ys V even, though that's not saying much.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Snak posted:

Buy an Xbox One pad, there are plenty of other great Steam games that are infinitely better with a controller.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Steam controller is great, too!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Minorkos posted:

can someone recommend a fighting game for the type of person who doesn't like how a typical fighting game plays

basically i want to play something like chivalry or dark souls: preferably short combos, 3d movement, interesting attacks, customizable character, etc.

afaik the only games that do this are mmorpgs and the only game that has done this well is anarchy reigns but i can't play it for a multitude of reasons

i just came out of blade & soul which was fun until i realized what a loving mess that game is, but i still want to play a game where you hit guys with fists or swords

edit: maybe i should just install gw2 again :barf:

dark souls

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FanaticalMilk posted:

Buy an Xbox One pad, there are plenty of other great Steam games that are infinitely better with a controller.

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Steam controller is great, too!

both of these are absolute poo poo actually. get a ds4.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

It's like a 2D Zelda game if it were 99% combat instead of puzzles and running at x5 speed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

ys is, like, one of the first action rpgs ever. the first two are actually still pretty good, though ys 2 is a lot better than the first just for having more player input on the combat and much better boss design.

i highly recommend checking out any of the games after ark of napishtim, ark isn't quite a bad game i guess but it's so much worse than everything released after it. oath in felghana and origin are pretty much the two best ys games on the pc.

it's a shame though, all the ys games have great music, but ark of napishtim's soundtrack is probably one the most unique. the later ones are awesome, high-energy rock stuff, but ark has lots of synthy electronic stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6G_nFcAjDk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NyvvCGxRes

I love the synth type stuff and prefer it to the more obviously orchestrated soundtracks (though its all good), I guess it sounds more 'gamey' to me.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Sounds like Sonic music in an Ys game. Not that that's not cool in its own way as well.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Ok, consoles and 3D rendering has met and matched the capabilities of real life animators.

Knowing this, why the gently caress do japanese character designers still hold themselves back to create character designs suitable to cheaply outsourced animation?

Can't they do the decent thing and create characters designs that are better suited to the gaming media?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

what are you talking about

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
In a word: anime

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Stux posted:

both of these are absolute poo poo actually. get a ds4.

I agree that the Steam controller sucks, but what's so terrible about the xbox one pad, or rather what's so much better about the ds4. I guess I should say I have the elite version, so maybe the normal one is really lovely.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stux posted:

what are you talking about

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FanaticalMilk posted:

I agree that the Steam controller sucks, but what's so terrible about the xbox one pad, or rather what's so much better about the ds4. I guess I should say I have the elite version, so maybe the normal one is really lovely.

everything about the ds4 is better

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dark Dreams Don't Die doesn't have an s in it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

i'm fine with the xbone controller i guess but lol at getting the elite version

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Playing Disgaea in HD made me realize that the artist who does the character portraits for the cutscenes can only draw big man-hands despite most of the characters being children, which is why Etna and Flonne always have their hands cut off by the dialogue box and why Laharl always has his arms crossed.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FanaticalMilk posted:

btw enjoy the stick drift coming to a c ontroller near u ps the elite is the same lovely quality components as the OG but for $150

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Stux posted:

btw enjoy the stick drift coming to a c ontroller near u ps the elite is the same lovely quality components as the OG but for $150

Eh, I've used it for about 3-5 hours a day since it came out and I've never had any stick drift, so I guess I'm just lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://a.pomf.cat/ltzsjk.webm

limaCAT posted:

Ok, consoles and 3D rendering has met and matched the capabilities of real life animators.

Knowing this, why the gently caress do japanese character designers still hold themselves back to create character designs suitable to cheaply outsourced animation?

Can't they do the decent thing and create characters designs that are better suited to the gaming media?

you have no idea what you're talking about

• Locked thread