Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

FishBulb posted:

Whatever happened to stickers that would pop out when your Pokemon came out. That was a Pokemon thing right and not some weird fever dream?

Pokeball Seals! That was Gen IV. Like many new features it was limited to that generation, though I have to admit I don't think anyone cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Zore posted:

It was only in D/P/P

Not even in HG/SS

That was the last one I played before ORAS so that makes sense.

Too bad it was fun

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ruggington posted:

i lasted 30 seconds

Someone didn't watch "There's Something About Mary".

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I wish there was an ingame store where you could buy any pokeball and transfer caught Pokemon into new balls of your choice.

i would get an aegislash in a dream ball :D [pokemanics nod like "i get it"]

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Tuiri posted:

Pokemon day has started on twitch at http://www.twitch.tv/pokemon, so if you are interested in some pokemon nostalgia they are currently playing red.

Shadypenguin... and then I closed the channel.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how the hell you supposed to beat brock with a goddamn pikachu

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

level him up to 16, get a bunch of potions and just brute force it

that's what 7 year old me did, and i'm glad i'm older now so that i'm willing to just use mankey and not spend an hour grinding in Viridian Forest

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also i don't remember if 16 was when he learned slam, it might have been 20

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

are there mankeys in viridian forest. I only have my old-rear end red guide

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Super No Vacancy posted:

They're to the west of Viridian City, right? There's some grass you can access from the start of the game.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Super No Vacancy posted:

Activate the sprinklers and use Thunderbolt

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Super No Vacancy posted:

They show up on Route 22, which is the lead-up to Victory Road in yellow. They show up post-pewter in Red.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

BearDrivingTruck posted:

They're to the west of Viridian City, right? There's some grass you can access from the start of the game.

They should be on the route west of viridian where you fight your rival.

e:f,b

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

aight I'ma go get me a mankey

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I only knew that spot for nidorans back in the day

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I realize that everyone is talking about gen 1 and 7 right now but

What are those glory holes in Hoenn for? It says I need a "certain move". HM?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Mankey w/ Karate Chop @ level 16 west of Virdian City (Rt 3)
Nidoran with Double Kick @ level 12 north of Viridian City (Rt 2)
Butterfree with Confusion @ level 10 from Viridian Forrest

There's three options for beating Brock but I too beat him using a Pikachu spamming Quick Attack/Double Team

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Rock Climb, probably?

e: Hoenn, that's Secret Power for Secret Bases

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 27, 2016

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

I only knew that spot for nidorans back in the day

They added it in yellow to make Brock beatable. Though I think they were there in blue.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Secret_Base#Generation_VI

Enjoy

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Secrey Power the TM. They're potential Hidden Bases.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

First time I played yellow as a kid (well, probably every time until I got back into the series at 15/16) I was convinced you had to keep pikachu in the first slot of your party. Constantly switching out was a reallllll bitch.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
That's underwhelming.

Thanks

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Super No Vacancy posted:

Get a Butterfree, thats what I always did.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

That's underwhelming.

Thanks

Secret bases are actually really cool.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I am sad. I didn't find out until two days *after* it had ended that us Canadians *DO* have access to these giveaways via EBGames. Now I have to find another way to get access to a Mew. Preferably without stooping to the Mew Glitch in the VC RBY games, if only because I can't transfer that into my Alpha Sapphire.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

me in 1999: *spends saturday night playing pokemon yellow*

me in 2016: *spends saturday night playing pokemon yellow, on an exponentially more powerful device that has its own pokemon games which are objectively better in every way*

sup, i'm a piece of poo poo :D

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CJ posted:

All the kids who got yellow were losers.

Kids who got yellow were losers who only cared about the tv show.

Like my little sister.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

RealFoxy posted:

Mankey w/ Karate Chop @ level 16 west of Virdian City (Rt 3)
Nidoran with Double Kick @ level 12 north of Viridian City (Rt 2)
Butterfree with Confusion @ level 10 from Viridian Forrest

There's three options for beating Brock but I too beat him using a Pikachu spamming Quick Attack/Double Team
Rock Climb, probably?

e: Hoenn, that's Secret Power for Secret Bases

Fun fact; Karate Chop was normal-type back then! But he learns Low Kick at level 9 which IS a fighting-type attack, as well as Nidoran learning Double Kick.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I spent way too long getting a Female teddiursa from HG just so I could get my EV trained/5IV Ursaring in a moon ball. I wish they'd just put then in as buyable. Hell make them expensive if you must but just let people have them.

Yeah I can take or leave apricorns as a mechanic, but if I have to spend 100k pokedollars on 20 friend balls or whatevs that's fine so long as I get the chance to actually access them. In a more ideal world it would be great if they could give them better catching bonuses and wider use but I'll be fine if all they do is exist.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Classtoise posted:

Fun fact; Karate Chop was normal-type back then! But he learns Low Kick at level 9 which IS a fighting-type attack, as well as Nidoran learning Double Kick.
Whoops! Knew he had a fighting type move, though. Confusion isn't super-effective against Rock or anything either but at least it's not resisted which is usually enough

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And since neither Onix nor Geodude have any STAB and pretty low Attack in general, it's an easy battle of attrition.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Classtoise posted:

Also note that the nidoran lines got low kick at lv43 in RB, and only got it at lv12 in Yellow. Also Mankeys don't appear in Rt 22 in RB.

So all you RB players don't need to waste your time hunting for those in preparation for Brock.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yup, RB players could have Squirtle or Bulbasaur, and didn't need the extra help. And if they took Charmander, well there was still Butterfree.

But Yellow? Yeah, no, you started with the rat. Period. No choices involved. You don't have a super-effective starter to roflstomp him with, so they were kind and gave yellow players some extra options to deal with him.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Solumin posted:

Pokeball Seals! That was Gen IV. Like many new features it was limited to that generation, though I have to admit I don't think anyone cares.

i care a lot

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
All this talk is a reminder as to why I have no desire to buy these games. Going back to terribly designed G1 is far too painful for any amount of nostalgia I can muster to overcome.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

mandatory lesbian posted:

level him up to 16, get a bunch of potions and just brute force it

that's what 7 year old me did, and i'm glad i'm older now so that i'm willing to just use mankey and not spend an hour grinding in Viridian Forest

Haha I grinded my bulbasaur to 15, and butterfree to 12 and my pidgey to 11 before I went into his gym. Also I am nuzlockeing and like grinding.
PS who are some good gen 1 pokemon. All I know is Taurus is good. Pokemon Blue for reference

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

Yup, RB players could have Squirtle or Bulbasaur, and didn't need the extra help. And if they took Charmander, well there was still Butterfree.

But Yellow? Yeah, no, you started with the rat. Period. No choices involved. You don't have a super-effective starter to roflstomp him with, so they were kind and gave yellow players some extra options to deal with him.
It feels like they made Starmie extra hard in Yellow too for some reason as another gently caress you. At least in the remakes they gave Charmander Steel Claw or something.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

RC Cola posted:

PS who are some good gen 1 pokemon. All I know is Taurus is good. Pokemon Blue for reference

Victreebel and Persian are the best Blue exclusives.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

even with charmander youre fine because ember will destroy geodude and onix with their awful special stat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dbMisadventure/status/703687192053415936

• Locked thread