Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

The Droid Turbo is a loving fantastic phone though? I mean yeah Verizon sucks, but Verizon isn't a phone

It gets software patches from the maximum fail combo of Verizon and Moto. It's outdated instantly. It's insecure and comes with a bad skin. It's junk.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm gonna get an S7 Edge and I hope it causes at least one person itt to combust

You're going to get a piece of junk with bad software an an unbelievably ugly OEM skin; and hopefully an rear end kicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

TouchWiz is hella ugly hth

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Smythe posted:

You're going to get a piece of junk with bad software an an unbelievably ugly OEM skin; and hopefully an rear end kicking.

Fight me irl

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

All phones are bastards.

EDIT: Also all carriers are bastards.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ijii posted:

The amount of vitriol against Samsung here is a bit over the top. I went from a flip phone to a Galaxy Note 2 on Tmobile. No matter how much crap Tmobile and Samsung put on their phones or how fast they drop support, it's still 100x better than my previous flip phone. I know the majority of people at work are in the same boat. I've seen many of my fellow poor coworkers from three years ago tell me "Wow, that's a big rear end phone," while they show me their flip phone, to... showing me their newer galaxy notes or Galaxy Ss over the years. I've never heard them complain about touchwiz or lack of updates.

I keep thinking of finally buying a note 6 this fall, but I don't really have a good reason to since my Note 2 still does plenty fine. I try to understand some of the hate here, but I just don't get it.

"As someone who has never had up to date software I don't know why I'd ever want up to date software when old software is way better in comparison to technology that has been obsolete for a decade."

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Smythe posted:

Eejit posted:

TouchWiz is hella ugly hth

Samsung did actually fix the ugly OEM skin issue though, by making the phone themeable. You can make it look almost like a stock Nexus or you can make it look like horrible ugly poo poo from the worst of the XDA modding community.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

:stare: Holy poo poo!

In all seriousness though, I actively avoid anything that allows themeing because it's usually there to make up for a lack of aesthetic sense on the part of whoever made the software. If it looked acceptable to begin with, you wouldn't need to theme it and when you allow it generally the only options are horrible poo poo like you have in your second link or a ripoff of someone's intellectual property like you have in your first link.

It's a bad idea that exists only to embolden those bereft of an eye for the artful.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Rastor posted:

Samsung did actually fix the ugly OEM skin issue though, by making the phone themeable. You can make it look almost like a stock Nexus or you can make it look like horrible ugly poo poo from the worst of the XDA modding community.

The notification pane isn't even close to good. Not only is it the most important part of the phone ui or whatever, but the pulldown quick links are the second most important. Here's how it is on a NExus phone:

Not even close in terms of quality.

Please excuse the wifi name, my bae named it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Smythe posted:

The notification pane isn't even close to good. Not only is it the most important part of the phone ui or whatever, but the pulldown quick links are the second most important. Here's how it is on a NExus phone:

I guess Samsung and LG style notification quick toggles don't drive me into a white hot rage. Sorry?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
My subjective preference is objectively better than your subjective preference okay?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It must be so nice to not be able to tell when things are ugly.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Rastor posted:

I guess Samsung and LG style notification quick toggles don't drive me into a white hot rage. Sorry?

Not raged, they're just flatly inferior.

Desk Lamp posted:

My subjective preference is objectively better than your subjective preference okay?

It's not subjective.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Smythe posted:

Not raged, they're just flatly inferior.

It's not subjective.

Smythe posted:

maximum fail

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
What's the preference here for adblocking? I'm finally fed up.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In what scope? If it's just in the browser, use a browser add-on. If you want to block ads system-wide, then either root and install AdAway or only use apps that have no ads (including paying for no-ads).

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Sorry for being so vague.

In the browser. I haven't done anything with browser add-ons (in a phone) before.

I've been using Chrome, but I don't have any reluctance to switch.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Firefox has (near) full add-on support so you can install uBlock Origin.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It must be so nice to not be able to tell when things are ugly.

Your mirror must love you

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

broken clock opsec posted:

Firefox has (near) full add-on support so you can install uBlock Origin.

Thanks.:cheers:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just "upgraded" from my Zenfone 2 (4gb version) to the S5. Apart from the screen and camera I preferred the Zenfone, way snappier and everything stayed in memory forever. Not bad for a cheap phone!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's amazing how bad ads make the mobile web experience. I mean, the mobile web experience in general is already bad enough, but ads make it like 10x worse.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
looks like I'll be rocking my HTC One M7 until the battery dies

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

go3 posted:

My friend managed to replace the battery in his without damaging the body apart from some minor scratches. Pretty impressive, but he's handy and loves the m7.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Thermopyle posted:

It's amazing how bad ads make the mobile web experience. I mean, the mobile web experience in general is already bad enough, but ads make it like 10x worse.

Ads aren't even strictly bad. No one complains about a Nestea banner on a webpage. But malware-injecting gross-out popups that float over content and drain data/battery are why people get adblockers.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Harveygod posted:

Ads aren't even strictly bad. No one complains about a Nestea banner on a webpage. But malware-injecting gross-out popups that float over content and drain data/battery are why people get adblockers.

This is extremely insightful. Wow!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

go3 posted:

"Rock" that steaming POS into the dumpster.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
teh frickin yospos guy is here

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

Sorry, no. I OWN a Nexus but it is not my primary phone. There's still a feature gap there on Nexus devices that needs plugged. They aren't for everyone. I wouldn't be satisfied with a N6p or 5x as my daily driver the same way as my MXP.
So what life altering features is the Nexus series missing? Half-genuinely curious.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I've been enjoying my S4 for the last two years, and my contract with Sprint just came up. I'm seriously considering preordering the S7 or S7 Edge for the crazy deal at Target, but I'm having trouble deciding between the two based on size, and battery.

Size: my hands are tiny, so having a smaller phone helps. But they're so tiny that I can't use any >4.3" phone one handed already without nearly dropping it or only being able to access like 1/3 of the screen area with my thumb. So most of the time I have to use it two handed anyway, and the larger size of the Edge probably isn't an issue, then.

Battery: the S4 has a 2300 mAh battery, while the S7 and Edge are 3000 and 3600 respectively. Assuming the OS and hardware haven't made huge laps and bounds in power efficiency to where either one would be a last a significantly longer time on a similar capacity battery as the S4: would I really see a 15-20% increase in lifespan from a charge with the S7 Edge's 20% higher capacity battery over the non-Edge, or would the power draw from the bigger screen on the Edge negate most of that capacity increase to where it's a wash and I should save money by just getting the non-Edge?

The aesthetics of one over the other don't matter much to me. I have no problem paying the extra $100 for the Edge model if the battery will be worth the money.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So what life altering features is the Nexus series missing? Half-genuinely curious.

Already touched on it, but Active Display. It has completely changed the way I consume notifications and how I interact with an idle phone. I often don't have my phone on my person. At my house, it gets put down on an end table as soon as I get home. At work, it sits on my desk and I may be up and down quite a bit. The ability to just wave my hand over the phone to see any active notifications or just happen to see it breath the notifications without having to touch it is so mind bogglingly useful. I can peek the content of the notification with a single touch and dismiss it with a swipe. It also only dismisses it from active display, it still shows up as a new notification when you unlock. So you can triage notifications as they come in and clear the external indicator of a notification while still preserving the notification to address when you unlock the phone. It's like a notification LED that tells your exactly what the content is and let's you snooze dealing with it.

On the same subject of notifications, it's absurd that Google hasn't baked a proper car mode into the OS yet. My Moto x automatically detects if I'm driving and reads texts out lot and let's me respond via voice. I can also ask it to read out any active notifications via voice.

Moto has also baked in eye tracking so the screen will stay on as long as you are looking at the screen and make it sleep faster if you aren't.

These are all small things, but they add up to a much more cohesive package as you interact with the device.

Beyond that though, I think they do a better job at optimizing for the hardware. I own both a MXP and a N5X. They run the same SoC and the MXP even has to drive more pixels. Yet, the MXP remains the smoother device to operate. The 5x hiccups far more often and can be more frustrating to use.

So, what do I trade-off for that? Granted I was part of an early test group, but I got Marshmallow just weeks after my Nexus devices (and before some others like the N6 on ATT.). Yes, Motorola hasn't pushed out 6.0.1 yet for it and they skipped Dec and Jan security patch levels to go straight to Feb, but what is the real end user consequence of that without hyperbole? If N is hugely delayed or we go 6 months without a security patch, then I may re-evaluate my decision. But for right now, the hardware is fantastic, the OS has zero skin on it, Motorola added a small number of extremely useful features to the OS in a way that makes them feel native, and the updates have come in a reasonable amount of time.

Also, being first isn't always good. Lollipop was an utter poo poo shiw for the first few versions of the OS and I was very glad that my phone wasn't running those versions after experiencing them on my tablets.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

SpelledBackwards posted:

I've been enjoying my S4 for the last two years, and my contract with Sprint just came up. I'm seriously considering preordering the S7 or S7 Edge for the crazy deal at Target, but I'm having trouble deciding between the two based on size, and battery.

Size: my hands are tiny, so having a smaller phone helps. But they're so tiny that I can't use any >4.3" phone one handed already without nearly dropping it or only being able to access like 1/3 of the screen area with my thumb. So most of the time I have to use it two handed anyway, and the larger size of the Edge probably isn't an issue, then.

Battery: the S4 has a 2300 mAh battery, while the S7 and Edge are 3000 and 3600 respectively. Assuming the OS and hardware haven't made huge laps and bounds in power efficiency to where either one would be a last a significantly longer time on a similar capacity battery as the S4: would I really see a 15-20% increase in lifespan from a charge with the S7 Edge's 20% higher capacity battery over the non-Edge, or would the power draw from the bigger screen on the Edge negate most of that capacity increase to where it's a wash and I should save money by just getting the non-Edge?

The aesthetics of one over the other don't matter much to me. I have no problem paying the extra $100 for the Edge model if the battery will be worth the money.

Just get the S7.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I go back on forth on stuff like the MXP vs Nexus devices. Yes, the Moto stuff is genuinely useful, but it's not like the phone is 50% better or whatever ... to me at least.

For me, the real issue is this: No one is surprised that the MXP or the S7 or whatever gets the latest updates quickly in the first 6 or 12 months after they're released. However, I'm more confident that a Nexus device will receive updates more quickly and for a longer period of time than any other device.

Now, whether the benefits and drawbacks you get out of a non-Nexus device makes up for the lesser confidence you can have in future updates is largely down to what you value in your device, and how long you keep your devices.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

SpelledBackwards posted:

Since you're coming from a S4, I'd lean towards the regular S7, but you can try them both out at Best Buy to get a better idea before you pre-order.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't kept a phone much beyond a year in the past few cycles regardless. There a sweet spot to selling off the device right around that point that makes up the vast majority of the cost of a new device.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

SpelledBackwards posted:

If your hands are even relatively tiny, you'll probably be happier with the Galaxy S7.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Smythe posted:

I've used this style on multiple devices (N7, Moto G) as well as a couple "heavy" skins (Asus, LG) and I have to say I like the stock style way less than either of those skins as far as functionality goes. That linked Samsung material theme pulldown looks and behaves way better, once you get rid of the atrocious yellow accent.

edit: and not being able to change what showed up there until 6.0 is loving stupid.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've used this style on multiple devices (N7, Moto G) as well as a couple "heavy" skins (Asus, LG) and I have to say I like the stock style way less than either of those skins as far as functionality goes. That linked Samsung material theme pulldown looks and behaves way better, once you get rid of the atrocious yellow accent.

edit: and not being able to change what showed up there until 6.0 is loving stupid.

The issue for me is that the quick toggles take up SO MUCH ROOM on the notification pulldown. With the Nexus, you're only seeing those quick toggles if you pull down with 2 fingers -- they're complete separate from the main notification tab. It doesn't bother me quite as much as it does some people, but there's definitely a usability case against having 1/3 to 1/2 of your notification window being taken up by something that you really shouldn't have to use much (and the top half no less).

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

bull3964 posted:

Already touched on it, but Active Display. It has completely changed the way I consume notifications and how I interact with an idle phone. I often don't have my phone on my person. At my house, it gets put down on an end table as soon as I get home. At work, it sits on my desk and I may be up and down quite a bit. The ability to just wave my hand over the phone to see any active notifications or just happen to see it breath the notifications without having to touch it is so mind bogglingly useful. I can peek the content of the notification with a single touch and dismiss it with a swipe. It also only dismisses it from active display, it still shows up as a new notification when you unlock. So you can triage notifications as they come in and clear the external indicator of a notification while still preserving the notification to address when you unlock the phone. It's like a notification LED that tells your exactly what the content is and let's you snooze dealing with it.

On the same subject of notifications, it's absurd that Google hasn't baked a proper car mode into the OS yet. My Moto x automatically detects if I'm driving and reads texts out lot and let's me respond via voice. I can also ask it to read out any active notifications via voice.

Moto has also baked in eye tracking so the screen will stay on as long as you are looking at the screen and make it sleep faster if you aren't.

These are all small things, but they add up to a much more cohesive package as you interact with the device.

Beyond that though, I think they do a better job at optimizing for the hardware. I own both a MXP and a N5X. They run the same SoC and the MXP even has to drive more pixels. Yet, the MXP remains the smoother device to operate. The 5x hiccups far more often and can be more frustrating to use.

So, what do I trade-off for that? Granted I was part of an early test group, but I got Marshmallow just weeks after my Nexus devices (and before some others like the N6 on ATT.). Yes, Motorola hasn't pushed out 6.0.1 yet for it and they skipped Dec and Jan security patch levels to go straight to Feb, but what is the real end user consequence of that without hyperbole? If N is hugely delayed or we go 6 months without a security patch, then I may re-evaluate my decision. But for right now, the hardware is fantastic, the OS has zero skin on it, Motorola added a small number of extremely useful features to the OS in a way that makes them feel native, and the updates have come in a reasonable amount of time.

Also, being first isn't always good. Lollipop was an utter poo poo shiw for the first few versions of the OS and I was very glad that my phone wasn't running those versions after experiencing them on my tablets.

Active Display is an app. You can just download it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whizbang posted:

Active Display is an app. You can just download it.

Can you show me where you download the front IR sensors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Grumpwagon posted:

The issue for me is that the quick toggles take up SO MUCH ROOM on the notification pulldown. With the Nexus, you're only seeing those quick toggles if you pull down with 2 fingers -- they're complete separate from the main notification tab. It doesn't bother me quite as much as it does some people, but there's definitely a usability case against having 1/3 to 1/2 of your notification window being taken up by something that you really shouldn't have to use much (and the top half no less).

Do you constantly have 20 notifications on your shade or something?