Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

spoof posted:

Are there any discount brokerages with either an external API, or internal rules, that you can use you buy ETFs on a regular basis? This is one thing I like about mutual funds, is that you can set you a monthly buy of, say, $1000 of TDB900. Ideally it would be great to be able to script things like rebalancing as well, and completely take out any emotion from trading decisions.

edit: To basically make a Low Frequency Trading platform, based more on factors like the date and portfolio composition, rather than any technical factors.

http://www.questrade.com/api

Dunno how well supported it is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furcifer
Apr 20, 2007
It's Furcifer, not Lucifer
I currently have an RRSP with TD and have a portfolio allocation of 50% US, 40% world, 10% CAD in the 3 e-series mutual funds. Would it be possible to:

1. Transfer everything over to the TD Waterhouse self directed RSP accounts (CAD denominated) whether in kind or do I have to sell the e-series and transfer over as cash?
2. Transfer a portion or all of that into the US denominated RSP and begin buying US vanguard ETF's? (Maybe only for my US and world allocation, but buy something else for my CAD allocation)

I know there are a lot of questions here. Any advice would be appreciated!

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Mantle posted:

http://www.questrade.com/api

Dunno how well supported it is though.

This is perfect. I saw that IB has an API as well, but I'm already with Questrade.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

spoof posted:

This is perfect. I saw that IB has an API as well, but I'm already with Questrade.

Would you be sharing your project and posting code? Seems like something that many people would be interested in.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Mantle posted:

Would you be sharing your project and posting code? Seems like something that many people would be interested in.

You'd think someone would have written this by now. I wouldn't mind sharing any code that comes out of this. Development is very free-time dependent though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

mojo1701a posted:

Thanks. See, that's exactly what I figured; I just found it weird that the in-branch account would only let me select one mutual fund (heavily weighted towards Canadian -- something like 45% exposure), but an e-series would let me pick and choose.

Edit: the part of the application asking me to associate a non-TD bank account is to allow me to deposit money from my Scotia chequing account, but how will that work exactly? I should probably give them a call after I come home from work.

You will set up all of your transactions via TD Easybank, and it will be totaled and withdrawn from the associated bank that day if before 3 pm eastern, or the following day if after.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Bilirubin posted:

You will set up all of your transactions via TD Easybank, and it will be totaled and withdrawn from the associated bank that day if before 3 pm eastern, or the following day if after.

Thanks. I get really nervous when don't have someone to ask directly.

On a similar note, I can't find the recommendations anymore for bank accounts. Scotia's gouging me like you wouldn't believe (actually, you would), and I think I've narrowed it down to Tangerine and PC Financial: both offer similar benefits for chequing and savings (0.8% currently for both: Tangerine triples that for 6 months, but I shop a lot at PC stores), and I'm having a hard time deciding which one. I'm leaning towards PC Financial as they have a branch inside of a Fortino's that's right near my office, and a coworker of mine had a terrible time with Tangerine after her husband passed.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Has anyone used TD's registered account transfer form? It's like they purposedly made this form to be as obscure as possible. I think the top transit number sections are meant to be greyed out... If not, I have no idea what they mean, and neither does anyone on Google seem to.

And once again, what sounds like it would be the account number ("Client Account Policy Number") has more spaces than the account number on TD's website actually does.

Since this is e-Series, I assume I don't have a broker name or agent number and just leave it blank?

:psypop:

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Is being Investment-Poor a real thing?

Kinda like being house poor but with real investments like RRSP, mutual funds, TFSAs.

E: I'm hoping to get some advice or at least some direction about how to deal with our current new situation of being significantly debt free and having $1300/month cashflow freed up. Should I make a new thread because of how somewhat complicated the situation is or is here ok?

It's basically the following:
RDSP
RRSP
TFSA
First Time Home Buyer Plan
Pensions
Savings
Childcare/employment

And financial/personal goals

Just no debt other than the fear of being in debt again. :(

quaint bucket fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 6, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Are you one of those debt free mortgage holders?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

quaint bucket posted:

Is being Investment-Poor a real thing?

Kinda like being house poor but with real investments like RRSP, mutual funds, TFSAs.

E: I'm hoping to get some advice or at least some direction about how to deal with our current new situation of being significantly debt free and having $1300/month cashflow freed up. Should I make a new thread because of how somewhat complicated the situation is or is here ok?

It's basically the following:
RDSP
RRSP
TFSA
First Time Home Buyer Plan
Pensions
Savings
Childcare/employment

And financial/personal goals

Just no debt other than the fear of being in debt again. :(

The situation doesn't sound complicated. Just save up a nice emergency fund totaling like six months of expenses or secure low-interest credit in case of emergency and start a TFSA from like Questrade (hands on and complicated but very cheap) or TD eseries (relatively simple but still pretty cheap). Max out your TFSA then your RRSP.

The TFSA first advice only stands if you're close to the beginning of your earning curve and expect to make significantly more money later in your career. If you're just doing a 200k/year job for five years before you go live on an organic farm or something, then maybe the RRSP should take priority. Don't rely on a pension because the world is going to poo poo and the rich will eat your money.

Ed: don't use the homebuyer plan or the education plan to dip into your RRSP. It's a losing bet because you probably won't match compounded market gains with your house or degree, and a comparable loan while keeping your investment will probably, historically, have you break even between interest payments and market gains.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 6, 2016

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

jm20 posted:

Are you one of those debt free mortgage holders?

No mortgage, just renting. I'm actually very content with renting right now since we're in a 2500sqft home with a family of 4 for $1600/month. We sold our condo, hence why our debt is gone on March 16th and extra cash.

I'm also socking away $300 a month to account for hydro, gas, and cable since the landlord hasn't transferred it to our name and hasn't gone after us for it (I have all email records asking for it to be transferred to our name) for the last 6 months. If the landlord goes "ok don't worry about it, we'll nix utilities from the agreement" then I'll just dump it all into TFSA/RRSP or some investment vehicle.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

tuyop posted:

The situation doesn't sound complicated. Just save up a nice emergency fund totaling like six months of expenses or secure low-interest credit in case of emergency and start a TFSA from like Questrade (hands on and complicated but very cheap) or TD eseries (relatively simple but still pretty cheap). Max out your TFSA then your RRSP.

The TFSA first advice only stands if you're close to the beginning of your earning curve and expect to make significantly more money later in your career. If you're just doing a 200k/year job for five years before you go live on an organic farm or something, then maybe the RRSP should take priority. Don't rely on a pension because the world is going to poo poo and the rich will eat your money.

Ed: don't use the homebuyer plan or the education plan to dip into your RRSP. It's a losing bet because you probably won't match compounded market gains with your house or degree, and a comparable loan while keeping your investment will probably, historically, have you break even between interest payments and market gains.

Interesting you mentioned the home buyer plan. We did use the home buyer plan to pay for our condo ($8k combined on top of additional cash).

We will be paying it off come next tax year to hit the "reset button" on the homebuyer to give ourselves 5 years. What you're saying makes sense and kind of along the line of what I was thinking as well with respect to compound interest/market gains.

I'm in the middle of my earning curves. I've went from $36k to $69k so far. I can easily expect to max to $150-200k by the time I retire providing i continue to build experience and add on to my education (looking at PMP and 4th class power engineering to transition towards 2nd or 1st class).

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm getting laid off from my lovely government job and given my pension will amount to 200 bucks a month when I hit 65 I'm pulling it despite the pension.

Is the TD eseries the best place to park that money long-term, given the thread seems to like there service?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

sbaldrick posted:

I'm getting laid off from my lovely government job and given my pension will amount to 200 bucks a month when I hit 65 I'm pulling it despite the pension.

Is the TD eseries the best place to park that money long-term, given the thread seems to like there service?

They're pretty low effort and fee for what they offer. Once your portfolio is larger you may benefit more from buying and holding vanguard funds in a rrsp or tfsa at a discount brokerage.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

sbaldrick posted:

I put my locked in portion in eseries because it needed much more effort to deal with the pension folks than Questrade was able to do, but I imagine it would be simpler to move it to QT from TD now.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I am currently in mutual funds but my number is getting big enough to justify ETF purchases.

If the fund MER is 0.72% and the ETF MER is 0.06% then I only have to have $1,500 invested over a year to justify a once annual $9.95 trade to come out ahead in the ETF. Is this correct?

For $10,000 it costs $72 a year to be in the fund but only $6 to be in the ETF.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

cowofwar posted:

I am currently in mutual funds but my number is getting big enough to justify ETF purchases.

If the fund MER is 0.72% and the ETF MER is 0.06% then I only have to have $1,500 invested over a year to justify a once annual $9.95 trade to come out ahead in the ETF. Is this correct?

For $10,000 it costs $72 a year to be in the fund but only $6 to be in the ETF.

Keep in mind the frequency of contributions and number of funds you hold as well. If you are doing dollar cost averaging on a monthly basis you are paying the 9.95 a trade monthly (until whatever for lower fees) x the number of funds you hold.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Also if you use any discount brokerage like Questrade, Interactive Brokers, etc. then ETF purchases should be almost free (save some ECN fees which are pennies). Questrade charges $5 commission to sell ETFs though for what it's worth.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I normally do 50% US, 30% bonds, 10% CDN, 10% INTL. i was thinking of moving to 50% US, 30% bonds, 20% INTL using VUN, VAB, VXUS. Anyone else use Vanguard funds? VXUS captures Canada.

This would take my MER from 0.74% to 0.15%.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

jm20 posted:

Keep in mind the frequency of contributions and number of funds you hold as well. If you are doing dollar cost averaging on a monthly basis you are paying the 9.95 a trade monthly (until whatever for lower fees) x the number of funds you hold.
My plan is to move the bulk over in to ETF and continue my monthly fund purchases. Then in another year or so I will again liquidate and move in to ETFs.

Just crunching the numbers it seems like once I hit $5k in a fund it is no longer cost effective to hold it as a fund and instead is worth moving to a similar ETF.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Opinions on a portfolio consisting of only VAB (canada bonds) and VXC (global equity ex canada)?

I really don't see any reason to hold VCN (canada equity) as many people do due to my personal exposure to Canada.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Everyone in the world seems to still think the CAD is a safe currency. VAB isn't a terrible idea but it depends on how much you hate Canada.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.google.com/finance?q=TSE:VAB

Wow I'm shocked considering the economic shitshow Canada has become because of oil.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Cultural Imperial posted:

https://www.google.com/finance?q=TSE:VAB

Wow I'm shocked considering the economic shitshow Canada has become because of oil.

VAB is mostly government bonds. Why would oil have anything to do with a Canadian Province or Federal Gov being able to pay it's debt? Venesuala is still paying it's debt and it's a long loving way from being the G7 nation Canada is.

Edgy pessimism is fun, but you take it too far sometimes.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
yes i'm the edgy one here

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/29/venezuela-is-making-surreal-suicidal-debt-payments.html

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

They have nearly run out of money to buy the product to dilute their heavy petro. They are pretty hosed.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
The Canadian bearishness in this thread is comical sometimes. It's not like I don't get the argument; I hold barely any Canadian equities, but Christ, some of you go on like it's 3 weeks away from being a failed state.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
The best thing about people who insist a crash is coming is the fact that they're actually always proved right. It might take a decade or two, but eventually the crash does happen.

And then things recover and everything is grand again until the next one.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I think it's more that we can't believe Canada hasn't had some kind of correction.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah seriously at this point it's like holy poo poo how has this not completely imploded yet, with a healthy dose of "HOW THE gently caress IS IT GOING UP 20% A YEAR??"

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

I think it's more that we can't believe Canada hasn't had some kind of correction.

Right, absolutely. But I guess in my view it's not worth worrying about. The Canadian Housing/Debt Bubble thread is now in its fourth year of existence and nothing has crashed yet. When will it happen? Tomorrow? A year from now? Five more years? No one knows. It will happen, but who the hell knows when.

Mind you, it's fun to think about how bad it's going to be for the guy who keeps rolling with negative equity car loans when things do eventually come crashing down, and he loses his job, AND his ability to transport himself to future jobs all at the same time.

But does it actually effect our day-to-day lives / investing decisions? I hope not.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 11, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
It should absolutely impact your investment decisions. Could you honestly say you are bullish on Canadian equities? The case can be made that people can buy into RE and slum lord it a couple years until they can sell sure, but there is a lot of risk to tie up your capital in RE in what people would at the very least consider a heated market. This isn't to say a crash is imminent or you can somehow perfectly predict the factors that will lead up to the potential correction to avoid it. If you simply have a house you live in the correction shouldn't really impact you beyond your work sector's exposure and availability of credit. For people that are bearish on Canadian RE, this thinking often outpours into being bearish on Canadian equities for similar reasons. Our RE and related sectors are driving our GDP growth, or lack of contractions, at a time when the mineral/oil&gas sectors are experiencing commodity price depression. This should rightfully be a cause for concern and reevaluation of your portfolio.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Right, absolutely. But I guess in my view it's not worth worrying about. The Canadian Housing/Debt Bubble thread is now in its fourth year of existence and nothing has crashed yet. When will it happen? Tomorrow? A year from now? Five more years? No one knows. It will happen, but who the hell knows when.

Mind you, it's fun to think about how bad it's going to be for the guy who keeps rolling with negative equity car loans when things do eventually come crashing down, and he loses his job, AND his ability to transport himself to future jobs all at the same time.

But does it actually effect our day-to-day lives / investing decisions? I hope not.

It absolutely affects investing decisions. I grew up thinking it was smart and borderline patriotic to invest in Canada. That's ridiculous. You're right that we don't know when it'll crash but it will. The concentration on FIRE is volatility. Why would I invest any retirement money in an underperforming, volatile canadian market when I can put in a well diversified american or global fund?

Day to day, I was thinking of buying a new fishing boat but I think it's worth waiting until the end of summer. One thing I learned while shopping was the phrase "240 months OAC" which made me shudder a bit.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

It absolutely affects investing decisions. I grew up thinking it was smart and borderline patriotic to invest in Canada. That's ridiculous. You're right that we don't know when it'll crash but it will. The concentration on FIRE is volatility. Why would I invest any retirement money in an underperforming, volatile canadian market when I can put in a well diversified american or global fund?

Day to day, I was thinking of buying a new fishing boat but I think it's worth waiting until the end of summer. One thing I learned while shopping was the phrase "240 months OAC" which made me shudder a bit.

:eyepop: With cars and trucks the new game is 72 to 84 as standard, but holy moley 20 years to pay off your 20k fishing boat that is obscene.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Whoa, hold on guys. I don't hold any Canadian equities. I think that's probably the way to go for anyone who lives here, regardless of the impending doom before us.

Though I suppose I wouldn't buy a house in Vancouver if I lived there, so I guess that's one investment decision that would be effected by the current state of things.

edit: But if you do typically hold Canadian equities at a reasonable percentage of your portfolio, say 6% or so, I wouldn't judge anyone too harshly for continuing to hold that.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 11, 2016

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Rick Rickshaw posted:

It's not "a guy" rolling negative equity. I was reading an article that said the average car loan in Canada is now up to like 70 months with the average loan rolling in $5k of negative equity.

Canadians love their car equity.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I haven't sold some holdings just because I feel what I have is pretty stable despite losing imaginary money in it this year. Mostly because I can't think of any company that's going to provide me the same kind of place to store money long term.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Decided to sell my mutual funds in my TfSA (50% US, 10% canada, 10% intl, 30% bonds) and put it all in 70% VXC and 30% VAB. That corrects my over exposure to US (down to 40%) and over exposure to canada.

Drops my MER from .75% to 0.2% with two yearly trades at $9.99. Translates in to a sizable savings on yearly fees.

I contribute monthly in to my RRSP and unregistered account so I'll leave those in mutual funds for the time being. I might do once a year liquidations and purchases of ETFs.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Is everyone still waiting on their T3s? It's the worst part about still having ETFs in taxable accounts.