Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Olympic boxing is a terrible joke as it is, so gently caress it, why not get the pros in and you might get some good short fights in there.

Pros play Tennis at the Olympics so why should Boxing be any different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Boxing has a pretty defined divide between the professional and amateur side of things, seems like an odd choice to me,

E: Professionals are apparently only able to compete if they've have under a certain limit of professional fights. seems a little more reasonable.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 25, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think it's a good move, encourages fighters to go pro earlier instead of waiting around for the Olympics and could potentially drum up more interest in Olympic boxing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think it's a good move, encourages fighters to go pro earlier instead of waiting around for the Olympics and could potentially drum up more interest in Olympic boxing.

Yeah since they're limiting it to only a certain number of pro fights (I've heard 15 or 20) then it won't be ridiculous

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah since they're limiting it to only a certain number of pro fights (I've heard 15 or 20) then it won't be ridiculous

Ahhh ok that's good then and it actually makes a ton of sense. I was just thinking about posting "Congrats to GGG on his Olympic gold medal?"

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I wasn't bothered either way between Frampton and Quigg but Frampton calling Eddie Hearn a lanky oval office has put me on his side

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

canelo would get schooled with the amateur system tbh

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

That all seems a little much just to give Lomachenko another gold medal.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
On a related note I love watching pros spar, full head gear, big gloves, just practicing etc. I wish exhibition matches were a thing outside of Rocky. Any videos of former champs playing around/drilling together, being, well, friendly ? :unsmith:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Meanwhile, in a miserable display just days before their fight, Frampton and Quigg are embroiled in a dispute over who gets the bigger dressing room. For real.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Wilder - Povetkin purse bid scheduled for tomorrow and Povetkin's promoter Vlad Hrunov is tweeting that he's going to at least match the bid for the Wlad fight (which was in the neighborhood of 22-23 million) so get ready for your inagural pbc champion Deontay Wilder.

EDIT: And the AIBA allowing professioals to compete the Olympics has made Mauricio Sulaiman's head explode so that has to be good in and of itself.

Son of Jose Sulaiman posted:

The World Boxing Council is deeply concerned about the shameful lowest stage that AIBA has reached in the entire history of Olympic boxing.

There is a great ignorance and lack of information of what has happened in amateur boxing in recent years, which has positioned amateur and Olympic boxing and its world structure at its worst level.
AIBA has announced its intent to allow the participation of professional boxers in the next Olympic games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, which will take place in only 4 months. This fact only demonstrates the big failure of AIBA in its process of determining the participants in the tournament. The so-called World Series of Boxing has been an embarrassment, showcasing very low-level fights and dangerous mismatches. So, now AIBA is attempting to include fully developed professionals to compete in the Olympic games.

AIBA has threatened expulsion or suspension of several countries from international tournaments, up to and including The Olympics, if that country does not accept to be ruled only by the exclusive authoritarian imposition of AIBA rules and regulations. In doing so, AIBA has sought to intimidate and abuse its power, in order to establish a monopoly on professional boxing as well, even by eliminating the word “amateur” from its own name, meaning that for AIBA, amateur boxing no longer exists.

Boxing cannot be considered without keeping separate amateur and professional boxing, for the most basic principle of safety, by avoiding such dangerous mismatches between experienced professional fighters and amateur boxers. This is something AIBA is not able to understand, because it seems their leadership does not have a clue of what boxing really means and represents.

AIBA’s priority appears to be the commercial and business aspects of the sport. Boxers are obligated to sign commercial contracts with AIBA and its affiliates, which positions AIBA in an undeniable and clear conflict of interest.
For example, by matching amateurs against professionals and eliminating headgear, AIBA is showing that it does not seem to care about the physical well being of the fighters or the correct practice of the sport around the world. How can multi-day boxing be conducted in tournaments safely and fairly without headgear? The youth of the world deserve to have the options and opportunities in amateur boxing.

In reaction to these circumstances, the World Boxing Council today announces the second stage of the WBC Amateur program. We cannot remain passive in the face of this injustice and the terrible treatment that the sport is receiving from AIBA and from many of the national federations affiliated to it.

Finally, we invite all who have suffered abuse of power to work for the benefit of boxing, to lose the fear of AIBA and its multiple mistreatments and actions, which have only hurt our beloved sport.

Mauricio Sulaiman Saldivar
World Boxing Council President

http://wbcboxing.com/wbceng/news/6245-aiba-has-reached-rock-bottom

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 26, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jack B Nimble posted:

On a related note I love watching pros spar, full head gear, big gloves, just practicing etc. I wish exhibition matches were a thing outside of Rocky. Any videos of former champs playing around/drilling together, being, well, friendly ? :unsmith:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk505HG-giY

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Meanwhile, in a miserable display just days before their fight, Frampton and Quigg are embroiled in a dispute over who gets the bigger dressing room. For real.

They're now taking turns accusing each other of not being able to make weight.
This super fight will get a bit less super if one or both of the belts aren't on the line.

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 26, 2016

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The belts are meaningless anyway, Rigondeaux is the champion at that weight and everyone knows it.

I dunno about Quigg but I reckon this will be Frampton's last fight at super bantam. I don't forsee a bright future for him at featherweight though; that bunch are monsters in size compared to him. It would be hilarious seeing him in the same ring as Selby or someone.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Frampton's already made some comments that seem to be distancing himself from ever fighting Rigondeaux, saying Rigondeaux isn't a big draw etc, sounds like he is planning on moving up regardless of the outcome of this next fight.

He will be dwarfed at featherweight though, I don't have confidence in his frame to move up and would rather see him take on Rigondeaux if he wins tomorrow night but it seems like him and Barry have different ideas.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Frampton and Quigg both made weight.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

quigg looked terrible

frampton tko 10

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sounds like a lot of promotional garbage from Frampton and Quigg. Whatever gets the fight out there I guess.

Last I heard Frampton and Quigg were both calling out Rigondeaux.
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/14828851/carl-frampton-scott-quigg-call-guillermo-rigondeaux

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Vlad Hrunov has won the Wbc heavyweight purse bid with a little over 7 million to Haymon puppet Lou Dibella's 5 million.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It sounds like they're going through with the fight, even without winning the purse bid.

I really doubt Wilder vacates. His current status as "world champion" still lacks credibility and he'll have none if he vacates it for a PBC belt without fighting a legitimate opponent to earn it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Quigg-Frampton is the next fight up.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

afolabi - huck is bad so far

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

It'll do well to be as bad as Doncaster's proud son Gavin McDonnell just then

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

that was a boxing masterclass you casual

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I got Frampton in 9

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My Internet has poo poo the bed so I can't watch it. Where will be good for a recording tomorrow?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Jose posted:

My Internet has poo poo the bed so I can't watch it. Where will be good for a recording tomorrow?

youtube believe it or not

just search frampton quigg full fight

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Frampton early I reckon

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

drat these guys are nervous. Neither wants to be the first guy to gently caress up. Someone hopefully warms up in round 2.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Lionel Richie posted:

Frampton early I reckon

think this was quiggs prediction too tbh

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

3-0 Frampton but loving hell get on with it

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Zzzzzz

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
A hyped fight turning out to be dog poo poo? Shocking developments.

Somebody land something meaningful!

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I actually paid for this one, I'm that idiot.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The winner vs Rigondeaux will require a doctor's prescription to watch.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

get jamie mcdonnell back out there

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

The winner vs Rigondeaux will require a doctor's prescription to watch.

Same with any Rigondeaux fight tbf

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Wow finally some punches.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Hey look, a fight broke out! Finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006