Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

cams posted:

i tend to think it is a byproduct of the changes to throw range. also what causes the corner shimmy game to be so strong, which i love.

What a coincidence! I just uploaded pt2 of my footsies series, and it's about shimmying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhlN-d6rN-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Just double tap, when you're talking about a window of 2 - 3 frames or even more then double tapping is by far the superior method.

Besides, as someone that learned to plink literally everything in SF4, I can't even tell you if plinking works at all in SF5 because 95% of links are incredibly easy to 1 button. I double tap or outright mash anything that's remotely tricky and it works 100%.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Jmcrofts posted:

What a coincidence! I just uploaded pt2 of my footsies series, and it's about shimmying!

You're doing God's work Jmcrofts.

Honestly probably the best tutorial series for SFV right now. Floe's is also good, but yours is a hell of a lot more concise.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i have a bad habit of trying to spam the next move in a combo following a hit confirm through the first moves animation and it works great in games with chain combos but it doesn't seem to work for links like that in sf. when i practice cr lk, cr lp xx hp dp with ryu I get really mad to see 2hit on the screen 50 percent of the time so in matches i wuss out to the mashable target chain combo because i lack confidence when i get an in and don't want to waste the chance

any tips?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Let's see how much people are willing to pay for a Ryu costume:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262305733366?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

6hrs left

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cloofish posted:

Floe's is also good, but yours is a hell of a lot more concise.

floe is an amazing person to watch talk and play and i would watch him do pretty much anything but his tutorial videos are so rambling and vague that they don't hold a candle to our jmcroft

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
Man I just wanted to play a little ranked mode today but I guess there are only 3 people playing with a 5 connection in my area.

I played the same guy on R. Mika 4 times in a row. The last time we just sat there taunting for the entire match because we were both obviously sick of playing eachother.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

Let's see how much people are willing to pay for a Ryu costume:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262305733366?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

6hrs left

Goggles Cammy goes for like $40

halwain
May 31, 2011
Can someone help me with Nash Pressure as Birdie?
Im trying my best with cr.mp Anti Airs, blocks and normals but i get destroyed by cross-ups every time.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

when i am sitting in training mode, practicing combos while i wait for ranked casual matches to pop up, i try and practice them completely clean with as few inputs as possible.

of course, when i actually start playing a match i will be tapping like mad. it's awful. i tend to be of the belief that training mode muscle memory is completely separate from real match muscle memory, but grinding stuff out in the former will allow for progress in the latter. for instance, i can do all kinds of tricky stuff with laura's resets in training mode, but i absolutely don't have the discipline to do it in matches. it's not even about the inputs, it's about knowing when i can land that stuff and when they won't be jabbing out of my command grabs.

but yeah i double/triple/quadruple/etc tap constantly but i'm awful so

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Jmcrofts posted:

Another goon video with informative content. I'm loving this at the moment guys.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cams posted:

when i am sitting in training mode, practicing combos while i wait for ranked casual matches to pop up, i try and practice them completely clean with as few inputs as possible.

of course, when i actually start playing a match i will be tapping like mad. it's awful. i tend to be of the belief that training mode muscle memory is completely separate from real match muscle memory, but grinding stuff out in the former will allow for progress in the latter. for instance, i can do all kinds of tricky stuff with laura's resets in training mode, but i absolutely don't have the discipline to do it in matches. it's not even about the inputs, it's about knowing when i can land that stuff and when they won't be jabbing out of my command grabs.

but yeah i double/triple/quadruple/etc tap constantly but i'm awful so

you're top 500 in ranked playing a weak character and contending with rampant disconnect cheating so i'm gonna keep doing it out of respect for your awesome mastery of the technique

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
ultimate footsies resource already exists http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

chun things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btqd45lO-JM

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Friend of mine made this vid because he was getting pissed off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WslmeTQmp24

Barring stick malfunctions/netcode errors, should this ever really be happening...? I haven't actually had the chance to play the game all that much so I wouldn't know.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

canoshiz posted:

Friend of mine made this vid because he was getting pissed off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WslmeTQmp24

Barring stick malfunctions/netcode errors, should this ever really be happening...? I haven't actually had the chance to play the game all that much so I wouldn't know.

His stick is definitely messing up

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Help Im Alive posted:

Goggles Cammy goes for like $40

yup. been watching ebay all week for one, they all go for over $35

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the best thing about watching good players play sfv is the reassurance that even very good players become deers in headlights when birdie leaps at them

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

On tips for cheesing through Normal Survival, anything for Chun-Li? I've lost on fight 29 or 30 numerous times (Necalli and Bison).

I had a lot of trouble with it. I finally beat it last night, probably due to luck. Definitely turn on fight request if you haven't. I don't remember what I did for Necali, but for Bison I immediately rushed him down and didn't let loose the pressure. He has some nasty combos so you want to keep him pinned down. I did a lot of sweeps and the down-right heavy kick move (where she jumps over him and kicks him in the back).

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't tried it yet but apparently the AI doesn't cope well with crossups from her vskill and sweeps

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Man, I was doing super well like 2 days ago and now I've won a single match in the last 30 or so fights.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
st.fierce is my go-to survival mode button with Chun. If the AI gets aggressive neutral jump HK into your favorite combo. HK specifically because it hits on both sides

also thanks for this

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

FANG's floaty jump and elevator music theme really make me angry for some reason

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

Another post saying thanks for this, for all the benefits of 'pro' player tutorials (Gootecks and Floe in particular) they need to learn that pre-planning and a bit of script makes these much better.

Also not being high or hungover but that's Gooey for you.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Anyone got any ideas for the Zangief vs Dhalsim match? I've been trying v-skill to counter pokes, but the damage I get from it is so low and grey regens so slowly, I don't think it's a legit tactic. Other than pressing mk and sweep just outside mp / hp range, I'm not really sure about what you're supposed to do against things like teleport on wakeup and general dhalsim play/

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Real hurthling! posted:

i have a bad habit of trying to spam the next move in a combo following a hit confirm through the first moves animation and it works great in games with chain combos but it doesn't seem to work for links like that in sf. when i practice cr lk, cr lp xx hp dp with ryu I get really mad to see 2hit on the screen 50 percent of the time so in matches i wuss out to the mashable target chain combo because i lack confidence when i get an in and don't want to waste the chance

any tips?

Nothing for this except practice. My personal suggestion, go to training mode and set the dummy to random block and do it till you can confirm into DP at least 90% on both sides. Meaning like, 10 attempts per side, count your attempts up to 10, if you mess up (e.g. finish the DP on a blocking opponent or don't get the DP on your hits) more than once then jump to the other side and go again from the other direction. If you make it to 10 then congrats, do it again! At some point you will graduate to making sure you can get it 10 times in a row with zero mistakes. That's how I learned to hit confirm in SF4 and that's still more or less how I practice execution for those kind of combos in SF5.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Trykt posted:

Ryu protips:
-Ryu barely needs his ex moves, basically only use them if you're doing a combo and it's your only way into a knockdown. Save your meter for super.

Reviving this old post to say I started going out of my way to do this and it's made a big difference. Super is really really good in this game, for most characters. Good stuff Trykt.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

Reviving this old post to say I started going out of my way to do this and it's made a big difference. Super is really really good in this game, for most characters. Good stuff Trykt.

his v reversal has been a lot more useful than his trigger for me as well.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

hiddenriverninja posted:

FANG's floaty jump and elevator music theme really make me angry for some reason

Same, except the exact opposite

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I'm a victim of winter brawl hype. PSN: EffEmmEll

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Jmcrofts posted:

Thanks broseph! I'm enjoying your tutorials as well. Good looking out for the new blood.

There's a gigantic Ryu effortpost building in my goony brain, gonna hold off for a while longer though until I have more experience to say some things are good/bad with more certainty.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

OxMan posted:

I'm a victim of winter brawl hype. PSN: EffEmmEll

Particularly since cross-play with the PC works great, the most effective way to find goons to play with is using this thread to look them up or joining the Discord chat using the link in the OP to find people around right now.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I had no idea until now that they actually made SF2 for the Commodore 64:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0YVz9MaHGM

Younger people have no idea that it's actually a good port considering the Commodore's specs.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

ChocNitty posted:

I had no idea until now that they actually made SF2 for the Commodore 64:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0YVz9MaHGM

Younger people have no idea that it's actually a good port considering the Commodore's specs.

Still, better than the Spectrum version.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I have a 3 game win streak in ranked, which is: surprising :haw:

I was having a hard time earlier today, but after warming up a bunch in Survival I'm doing pretty okay.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
picked this up, digging it, getting matches every 30 seconds or so is really nice too

do i need to press down to tech parry low stuff with ryu? having trouble testing it

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Nope. You just hit MP+MK and it'll parry anything as long as you've timed it properly.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
I lost my 15 game win streak to a teleporting Karin.

Both win streaks and points are meaningless, I know.

Still pretty salty though.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Hydrocodone posted:

Particularly since cross-play with the PC works great, the most effective way to find goons to play with is using this thread to look them up or joining the Discord chat using the link in the OP to find people around right now.

Thanks for this, though I'm not gonna make use of it for a while. I used to play lots of tekken. When a new game would come out, I'd at least have some sort of base from which to start from. Tried picking Karin in training since that was one of my alpha 3 favorites and I mean, I read that things have been changed, but sf v is like...really changed. Having to memorize separate sets of combos for v trigger poo poo is bad enough, but nothing is familiar and string timing is different from SF4 and oh goddd. I'll be in training for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
lay it on me yall

street fighter V: yes, or no?