Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Take the brake pads out, it will make your life so much easier. It's only the 2 clips then punch the pin out, it only goes out one way, can't remember for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah just shove the pistons back in a bit and you won't have any issues. If you wanted to go all endurance racer you could lightly chamfer the edge of the brake pads.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Riding through the rain on a motorcycle isn't fun. Riding through rain on a supermoto FEELS SO RIGHT. Now I just need to learn to back it in so I can really enjoy this.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Are these gaskets tight enough? It looks like they could be closer but I can't for the life of me get it to fit any tighter. gently caress putting this carb in.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
is the carb snug or is it floppy?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Snug

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
It was finally warm on Saturday and I decided to ride my DRZ, but it wouldn't start. It's been in storage for about 4 months (climate controlled basement, on a trickle charger, fresh gas before I put it away)

It just cranked and cranked and cranked but wouldn't turn over. The choke seemed to be working fine (it sounds slightly different cranking it with the choke on, per usual). It's always started a little rough after sitting through the winter, but never this bad. The battery eventually died and I ran out of time waiting for it charge and more snow is coming, so aside from just trying to get it started, I won't be riding it anytime soon.

05 DRZ with an FCR carb. Where should I start? My motorcycle mechanic skills are not that great.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

robotsinmyhead posted:

It was finally warm on Saturday and I decided to ride my DRZ, but it wouldn't start. It's been in storage for about 4 months (climate controlled basement, on a trickle charger, fresh gas before I put it away)

It just cranked and cranked and cranked but wouldn't turn over. The choke seemed to be working fine (it sounds slightly different cranking it with the choke on, per usual). It's always started a little rough after sitting through the winter, but never this bad. The battery eventually died and I ran out of time waiting for it charge and more snow is coming, so aside from just trying to get it started, I won't be riding it anytime soon.

05 DRZ with an FCR carb. Where should I start? My motorcycle mechanic skills are not that great.

F - Fuel, Did you turn the gas on?
I - Ignition, did you turn it to run?
N - Neutral, is it in neutral?
E - Turn the key on?

C -Clutch

Sounds like you may not be getting gas, or maybe a bad plug? Whens the last time you changed the spark plug?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Well my bike started. Hopefully the gaskets hold and I don't get stuck somewhere.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
It got a New plug at the beginning of the season last year.

The only thing I could think of beyond that is that I may have left the petcock open since storage - it's equally likely that I turned it on without thinking about it when I was getting it out and didn't remember.

Definitely in neutral, definitely had the key in it, definitely didn't have the killswitch on.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Gas is likely bad in the carb. drain carb, rinse lather repeat.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Partial Octopus posted:

Well my bike started. Hopefully the gaskets hold and I don't get stuck somewhere.

if you grab it, shake it, or otherwise molest it, and it is not installed correctly, it will be apparent. If it is snug and tight then it should be good. If you are concerned, you can spray starter fluid or whatever on/around it to see if it is leaking, but IME, if they aren't installed right, it will be noticeable.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

EX250 Type R posted:

if you grab it, shake it, or otherwise molest it, and it is not installed correctly, it will be apparent. If it is snug and tight then it should be good. If you are concerned, you can spray starter fluid or whatever on/around it to see if it is leaking, but IME, if they aren't installed right, it will be noticeable.

Seems fine. I hear like a whistle sound when I accelerate hard. But for all I know that sound was there before and I'm just being paranoid.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

How much does the new Husky 701 weigh? The recent lanesplitter review said that it weighs the same as a DRZ, but that doesn't seem right. I assume it's close to the 690's weight.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Partial Octopus posted:

Are these gaskets tight enough? It looks like they could be closer but I can't for the life of me get it to fit any tighter. gently caress putting this carb in.

There's a system for getting this poo poo to work.

-Loosen everything and get the carb fully onto the cylinder.
-Get the airbox boot fully onto the carb.
-Make sure everything is good and tight.
-Attach the air boot to the actual airbox. It's way easier if you do this last since you have so much more surface area to play with.

Enjoy.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I used the weight of the subframe to squish it all together.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
OUTLAW COUNTRY!
Ignore the phone camera. I kept this phone because it survived my 70mph down a couple years back, and the only damage was to the glass over the back camera. I figure it deserves to be used, and besides I can't find a compact smartphone like the N4 (which is already too big).

I am a person who hates being in nature in the rain. I've earned my stripes doing it, I just avoid it now. I also hate riding in the rain, and will just take the car. Then I got a proper one piece suit and a sumo, and all I want to do when it rains is go play like I'm five years old. Today I took the wrx to the park since it was raining and nobody would be there. Despite thinking I'd be unable to ride in the big gravel lot because of the wet, I actually had no problems. After 20 minutes of sliding around, bombing through puddles and mud, I stopped in front of this imposing gate:

I've been shut out by this gate for years. Never thought to go past it because it's a gate and that's that. In fact, I never took a bike down to this gravel lot because I didn't want to risk a drop. Now I have a sumo and the world is changed forever.
Went past the gate by that little bit to the right there and ended up here. Pretty sure I'm not allowed to be here. Pretty sure there were no witnesses to care.

The road ended there, but I decided to go down that grassy bit you see beyond the yellow posts, to see the stream down that hill. When I was down there, I had a perspective to see this to my left :aaaaa:

Bear in mind, I've never really done anything off road before today. And definitely nothing in the mud/wet/slick. I didn't even like riding on wet pavement with proper tires. But it's a sumo so I didn't think twice. Slipped and slid all the way to this cool spot. I wish I had knobbies, because a hill stopped me from going further.

But I walked up the hill to see a lake I had no idea was even there all this time.

I did a bunch of slip sliding hooning after that, including going up a muddy hill, tail sliding all over, feathering the clutch like a boss, and ending up with the bike and myself covered in mud.

I cannot even begin to describe what a revelation all this is, or even fully grasp it myself. Somehow the sumo reality is better than the sumo fantasy. :aaaaa:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Coydog posted:

OUTLAW COUNTRY!

I cannot even begin to describe what a revelation all this is, or even fully grasp it myself. Somehow the sumo reality is better than the sumo fantasy. :aaaaa:

:hfive: Good to see the bike getting used properly

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

Somehow the sumo reality is better than the sumo fantasy. :aaaaa:

It absolutely is, glad you're having fun and taking it off the pavement! Its pretty amazing how far regular street tires will get you off-road, right?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

OUTLAW COUNTRY!
Ignore the phone camera. I kept this phone because it survived my 70mph down a couple years back, and the only damage was to the glass over the back camera. I figure it deserves to be used, and besides I can't find a compact smartphone like the N4 (which is already too big).

I am a person who hates being in nature in the rain. I've earned my stripes doing it, I just avoid it now. I also hate riding in the rain, and will just take the car. Then I got a proper one piece suit and a sumo, and all I want to do when it rains is go play like I'm five years old. Today I took the wrx to the park since it was raining and nobody would be there. Despite thinking I'd be unable to ride in the big gravel lot because of the wet, I actually had no problems. After 20 minutes of sliding around, bombing through puddles and mud, I stopped in front of this imposing gate:

I've been shut out by this gate for years. Never thought to go past it because it's a gate and that's that. In fact, I never took a bike down to this gravel lot because I didn't want to risk a drop. Now I have a sumo and the world is changed forever.
Went past the gate by that little bit to the right there and ended up here. Pretty sure I'm not allowed to be here. Pretty sure there were no witnesses to care.

The road ended there, but I decided to go down that grassy bit you see beyond the yellow posts, to see the stream down that hill. When I was down there, I had a perspective to see this to my left :aaaaa:

Bear in mind, I've never really done anything off road before today. And definitely nothing in the mud/wet/slick. I didn't even like riding on wet pavement with proper tires. But it's a sumo so I didn't think twice. Slipped and slid all the way to this cool spot. I wish I had knobbies, because a hill stopped me from going further.

But I walked up the hill to see a lake I had no idea was even there all this time.

I did a bunch of slip sliding hooning after that, including going up a muddy hill, tail sliding all over, feathering the clutch like a boss, and ending up with the bike and myself covered in mud.

1. This is a good post.
2. Wait until you get knobbies.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Marxalot posted:

There's a system for getting this poo poo to work.

-Loosen everything and get the carb fully onto the cylinder.
-Get the airbox boot fully onto the carb.
-Make sure everything is good and tight.
-Attach the air boot to the actual airbox. It's way easier if you do this last since you have so much more surface area to play with.

Enjoy.

You can remove the air boot from the airbox? :psyduck:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, it has a super huge band clamp on it and just pulls off once its loosened

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
One of the quick release screws broke off the DRZ's airbox cover. Welp.

Pictured: airbox boot removal device.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 23, 2016

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Marxalot posted:

One of the quick release screws broke off the DRZ's airbox cover. Welp.

Pictured: airbox boot removal device.

:psyboom:

Knowing this would have saved me so much time on several occasions.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'm thinking about picking up a wr250r for commuting and loving around on. Good, or bad idea?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Day Man posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a wr250r for commuting and loving around on. Good, or bad idea?

Good idea. Better idea: wr250x

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its pretty amazing how far regular street tires will get you off-road, right?

Yeah, I'm really impressed with the "do anything go anywhere" aspect of this bike.

Also, I unintentionally backed it in on cold tires yesterday morning and it just gave me a hunger for more. Things that would be scary on other bikes are just "is that all you got?!" on this.

Day Man posted:

You'll hate street riding on big knobbies more than you will hate light offroad on street tires (you will actually love this). Get the WR250x, as a set of R wheels is easier and cheaper to come by than unicorn sumo wheels.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Good idea. Better idea: wr250x

Please do this.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Hmm... well, just got off of the bike after a test ride, and I'm pretty happy with how it felt on the knobbys. Is it really that hard to find the sumo wheels? I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this instead of hunting for the x version.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Day Man posted:

Hmm... well, just got off of the bike after a test ride, and I'm pretty happy with how it felt on the knobbys. Is it really that hard to find the sumo wheels? I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this instead of hunting for the x version.

Buy my drz instead.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Too late, sorry! This thing is a ton of fun to ride around on. Feels completely different from my sv1000. Can't wait to try out some trail riding! I ripped down one gravel road so far, and it felt really confidence inspiring. I can see why you guys/gals love these things!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Day Man posted:

Too late, sorry! This thing is a ton of fun to ride around on. Feels completely different from my sv1000. Can't wait to try out some trail riding! I ripped down one gravel road so far, and it felt really confidence inspiring. I can see why you guys/gals love these things!

Knobbies are the best and look the coolest too.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Super Moto and classic scooter meet at Ace Cafe next Wednesday, totally hyped to go and take some nice pictures. :dance:

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Ether is a magical thing. I've had trouble with my bike not starting after the winter and a half-second blast took care of it.

Should've started there before pulling the spark plug, but oh well.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

There is a reason ether is my go to solution for 'Halp my bike won't start'

It's like checking your fuses first, simple and easy, no downside to trying.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Reposting this here for posterity. Bolt fell out of my handguard.

#JustDRZThings

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Zip ties would be more appropriate. I carry some for exactly this reason. But drz so duct tape is equally appropriate.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
loctite 242 and 271 are friends of the DRZ.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeah, it's weird that the bolt fell off. Half that bike is loctite at this point.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeah, it's weird that the bolt fell off. Half that bike is loctite at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is that the Seat Concepts seat, marxalot? What do you think of it?

• Locked thread