Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Does anyone know what the Fortune Teller and spirits on TV actually affect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

This is up behind the blacksmiths, I get a hand icon on that wooden thing behind the tree but what is it?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 27, 2016

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
In addition to deathrat's modded exes, progress has been made on modding game data as well as graphics. Most data in Stardew Valley\Content with the exception of fonts can now be modded. http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/modding-progress-so-far.106868/

Guide on modding, crossposted from my post on those forums:

MODDING

1. Unpack XNB files.

To unpack graphics:
This is done with an XNB unpacker. The one I have found to work with PNG files is one which appears to have been made to unpack files for the game Fez, but works generically. Link here. Version 0.7 appears to be most recent, although 0.5 worked just fine for me as well. Unzip the .zip to a convenient folder. Within you will find .bat and .py files. The .py files are python scripts requiring you to install Python 2.7.3 on your machine. Fortunately, under the bin\python folder in the zip, you will find python_mcp.exe. Run that to install python.

Then to decompress XNB files, drag and drop them over read_xnb.bat. They will output as the base files (.png and .xml) in the same directory as the original XNB file. Instead of dragging and dropping, you can also use the command line "read_xnb.bat [File Name]". Do note that if the file is not in the local directory you would need to specify the full file path. You can decompress entire folders by using read_xnb_dir.bat. The command line there is "read_xnb_dir.bat [File Directory] [Output Directory]".

Note that some files will error and not output correctly with this. You can try using other XNB unpackers and see if they successfully output. I tried GXView and could not get it to work with this, but you may have better luck.

One simple way to extract everything to look through would be to copy and paste your Stardew Valley\Content folder to the folder where read_xnb_dir.bat is located. Then start cmd.exe and cd over to where read_xnb_dir.bat is located. Run the command "read_xnb_dir.bat Content ContentUnpacked" to unpack all XNB files possible to the ContentUnpacked subfolder in the same directory as the .bat file.

To unpack game data
For files in Content\Data and Content\Characters\Dialogue and Schedules, use Draivin's XNB Node 0.0.1 as posted later in this thread. Mad props to Draivin! Unzip the file so that xnb_node.cmd is in the same directory as your Stardew Valley.exe. Again, use the utility with the command line. Start cmd.exe, cd over to the Stardew Valley folder.

Unpack files by using "xnb_node.cmd extract [input directory] [output directory]. It currently only unpacks JSON files, no PNG graphics.

Now that you have extracted files, it is time to edit them.

2. Edit your files.
Open up ContentUnpacked\Minigames\TitleButtons.png in your graphic editor of choice. Scribble across the Stardew Valley title. Congratulations, you have edited the file. Be sure to save your work under the same name, TitleButtons.png

For JSON, many good text editors exist. I recommend Notepad++.

3. Repack your loose, edited files into .xnb files.

To pack PNG files
I have been using the program XNB Builder to create files. Download here. Run XNAFormatter.exe. Select your source file(s). Select your output directory (default to wherever you installed xnb builder\Content). Leave the target platform as Windows and the target profile as Reach. Check the Compress Output? button, and feel free to check the Log Output? button. Click convert. If successful, it will say Build Completed in the bottom right hand corner, otherwise, Build Failed.

To pack JSON files
Pack files by using "xnb_node.cmd pack [input directory or file] [output directory] from the command line.

Take your new XNB, make sure it is the same name of the file you are trying to mod, and replace it in the original file's location in Stardew Valley\Content. It would be wise to keep a backup of the original file, but I'm a post, not a cop.

4. Start your game and confirm your changes.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

The time in the game flows at just the right rate in my opinion. There's not enough time to do absolutely everything, which I actually see as an advantage. It's not just a game about growing crops. It's also a game about time management. In Harvest Moon games, I usually was in bed by around 4pm because I completely finished all my chores for the day and talked to everyone I cared about talking to, while I was out of Stamina. Usually I was out by around noon because of all the chores I did in the morning.

Running does feel a little slow. That much I would give you as a complaint.

But overall, the game is good. It's the closest thing we have to a Harvest Moon game on PC. Amazing it was developed by just one person. Not to mention that Multiplayer isn't out yet. It has brought a light hearted farming game into the limelight. While Farming Simulator is boring (in my opinion. It was my first Steam refund after 30 minutes of being bored to death), this game is charming, even with the small issues it has.

Agreed. I'm actually not sure what I'd do with an extra 4 seconds/10 minutes a day like in that mod. Seems like there'd be a lot of going to bed early.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Digirat posted:

Game good?

Pretty good, it would be nice if there was a way to unbind the system mouse from the gamepad though. I'm pretty tired of running the game in windowed mode and then accidentally scrolling my pointer over poo poo in my OS toolbar.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Yeah time feels good to me, I get a lot done and go to bed between 9-11pm usually which seems like a good time to be sleeping at

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly, even if you moved faster, you're gonna be limited by your energy which is probably more important.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

willing to settle posted:

Agreed. I'm actually not sure what I'd do with an extra 4 seconds/10 minutes a day like in that mod. Seems like there'd be a lot of going to bed early.

I agree that I don't think the extra time is really needed, but I did find that sometimes for things like the delivery quests, I would spend an entire day trying to find the person that I have to give the item to, and the extra time seems to help with that pretty good.

Tired Moritz posted:

Honestly, even if you moved faster, you're gonna be limited by your energy which is probably more important.

I actually found pretty often that Stamina was the least limiting thing, since it was pretty easy to just perpetually fish myself back to full energy.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

deathrat posted:

I agree that I don't think the extra time is really needed, but I did find that sometimes for things like the delivery quests, I would spend an entire day trying to find the person that I have to give the item to, and the extra time seems to help with that pretty good.

I actually found pretty often that Stamina was the least limiting thing, since it was pretty easy to just perpetually fish myself back to full energy.

Yeah fishing is ridiculous as a feedback loop.

Also you can save your green beans and try to get the bean hot pot recipe from the saloon. recovers 125 energy for just 2 beans. Need the kitchen upgrade first too.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Yeah but I suck rear end at fishing

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Don't tap the key for fishing. Hold it down. Of course if the fish goes down, then let go of the key. Same if you're using a controller.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if anything i'd want the speed bumped up a tiny bit just because it feels better to actually play.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Oh hey I found the bathhouse right after I planted about 130 crops on Summer 1. Even with the bronze watering can, it was almost too over ambitious with my energy levels.

Half of it is re-harvesting crops though, 45 corn :getin:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Anybody got their kegs up and running?

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

This game is pretty great, but the one and only major complaint I have is almost ruining the game for me.
It takes way the hell too long to get around IMO. I don't think it's so much movement speed as it is the general layout of the town.

Going back and forth from your house to the mine for example is hell. After doing some extensive mining for a few in game days I'm about ready to just give it up.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
How do you upgrade your FISHING prowess, anyway?

Oh, hot tip; the blacksmith sells iron and gold ore. It's pricy, but you can snag the Community Center bundle for it early.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gamerofthegame posted:

How do you upgrade your FISHING prowess, anyway?

Oh, hot tip; the blacksmith sells iron and gold ore. It's pricy, but you can snag the Community Center bundle for it early.

just do poo poo in that category and it'll level when you go to sleep if you have enough exp

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

LegalPad posted:

This game is pretty great, but the one and only major complaint I have is almost ruining the game for me.
It takes way the hell too long to get around IMO. I don't think it's so much movement speed as it is the general layout of the town.

Going back and forth from your house to the mine for example is hell. After doing some extensive mining for a few in game days I'm about ready to just give it up.

If you're not taking the north exit of your farm to the back road that exits near the carpenter shop as a route to the mine, do this. It is so much faster.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Johnny Joestar posted:

just do poo poo in that category and it'll level when you go to sleep if you have enough exp

Nah, meant the pole, my b

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Ugh gently caress a ladder spawned under me and I can't move off it to go down it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gamerofthegame posted:

Nah, meant the pole, my b

after some time i think you get a letter saying that the fishing guy has updated his stock and will sell the fiberglass rod for 1800. i dunno what exactly triggers it, if it's just time or fishing level. can't be too high of a requirement.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Ugh gently caress a ladder spawned under me and I can't move off it to go down it.

Right click it, you'll go down it. Had that happen once

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

MotU posted:

Yeah time feels good to me, I get a lot done and go to bed between 9-11pm usually which seems like a good time to be sleeping at

It happens the same to me. But I would love to have a little bit more idle time to hang around the saloon or at least don't be in such a hurry all day.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So, two things about this pic:

1) The sprite is modeled in such a way that I see him doing more of a "DURRR" thing with his eyes

2) He has a weird idea of "catch" weather.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A good and easy food item is eggs + milk for an omelette if you find yourself without energy at some during heavy activity. Fishing isn't so bad but if I'm clearing out a lot of tree's for wood I run out of energy super fast so it's very helpful to have a cheap food item like that. Large eggs always give you gold star mayo which is 200g a pop.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
if you ain't dumpster diving you're missing the gently caress out

Linus knows what's up

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
Has anyone found the pair of pants that went missing yet?

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
https://twitter.com/feliciaday/status/703724461803999232

:shittypop:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ashekaban posted:

If you're talking about Lewis' purple shorts, I can see them in Marnie (the rancher)'s house, but I can't get into her room because we're not good enough friends.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Monowhatever posted:

the fiberglass fishing rod(its the 2nd one) is wonderful first day with it and I already paid it back in full

Where did you fish up Tilapia, Red Mullet, and Tuna?

klee
Aug 24, 2013

Ashekaban posted:

They're in Marnie's room.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Ashekaban posted:

Yes, it's in Marnie's bedroom, so you'll need to be at 2/10 hearts to access it. Marnie is the livestock vendor.

I'm trying to go off of old Harvest Moon knowledge, but I just bought my first cow and chicken and I'm unsure of a few things. They're babies. Do they still need feed? Also, how do I know if the grass is mature enough to count as feed? I've basically just opened the barn/coop door and started praying. I have hay in the silo, but if the grass outside is mature, they should just eat that instead, right?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

:vince:

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I planted a 3X3 field of cauliflower and they merged into one SUPER cauliflower. I had to hit it with my axe until it exploded into 20 loving clauliflowers.

GTOY

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

dragon_pamcake posted:

I planted a 3X3 field of cauliflower and they merged into one SUPER cauliflower. I had to hit it with my axe until it exploded into 20 loving clauliflowers.

GTOY

no loving way

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

dragon_pamcake posted:

GTOY

...Well gently caress me, I also planted a 3X3 field but it hasn't fully grown yet. Please let this also happen.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

dragon_pamcake posted:

GTOY

This was very startling to me.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I found the slingshot but it's doing absolutely fuckall for me right now because I can't craft the ammo. Do I need to level my combat skill up to discover the recipe for ammo or what? I'm sure as poo poo not paying 100g per explosive ammo just to use it so if that's the case I guess I'll just junk it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

But Not Tonight posted:

I found the slingshot but it's doing absolutely fuckall for me right now because I can't craft the ammo. Do I need to level my combat skill up to discover the recipe for ammo or what? I'm sure as poo poo not paying 100g per explosive ammo just to use it so if that's the case I guess I'll just junk it.

You don't craft the ammo, it's just stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Apparently melons can also do that. Not sure what else.