Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Anony Mouse posted:

God, gently caress vermetid snails so hard. My tank is about 2 1/2 months old and a few came in on my live rock. They've been reproducing noticeably since then, they're even growing on the goddamn glass. I don't think I'm overfeeding my tank, I typically feed each of my three sexy shrimp a tiny food pellet each every 2-3 days, and the ricordeas about twice a week. I guess I'll have to start taking proactive measures against these fuckers.

you can glue their tubes shut, or just pinch them with pliers near the base. The ones you can't scrape off the glass, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I had like tens of thousands of them for a while and then they kinda faded off. Still have the tubes everywhere, but hey, that's live rock.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Anony Mouse posted:

God, gently caress vermetid snails so hard. My tank is about 2 1/2 months old and a few came in on my live rock. They've been reproducing noticeably since then, they're even growing on the goddamn glass. I don't think I'm overfeeding my tank, I typically feed each of my three sexy shrimp a tiny food pellet each every 2-3 days, and the ricordeas about twice a week. I guess I'll have to start taking proactive measures against these fuckers.

You got pics of your ricordeas? I love ricordeas but for some reason they're not exactly thriving in my tank.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

visuvius posted:

You got pics of your ricordeas? I love ricordeas but for some reason they're not exactly thriving in my tank.
As good an excuse as any to throw together a quick edit of my recent ricordea feeding times. Mine have been doing alright, I've been waiting for the one with 3 mouths to fission for weeks now but it's taking its sweet time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0xRNUAAn8s

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007
cool video. whats your camera setup like?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
That was a neat video. You feeding them just pellets or what?

Also do you have zoas that the sexy shrimp mess with?

Actually what am I thinking my Cardinal would probably devour them.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I just use an iPhone with an olloclip, works surprisingly well. I need to get better at lighting and/or get a filter so the UV doesn't mess up the color balance.

I don't have any zoas yet, not sure if I'll get any. I'd love to get a maxi mini anemone because my sexy shrimp (I have 3) are completely ignoring the ricordeas. Except for when I try to feed the ricordeas and a sexy shrimp comes along and steals the food. -_-

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

The skimmer fits in the middle chamber but its pretty drat big. I'm slightly worried about the weight its putting on the back wall but I imagine it'll be okay. Was also hoping it would be a little quieter but I think I'll get used to the churning sound.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Nice looking tank! I'd be more worried about the humidity and splashing than weight.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Came home from work to find my yellow tang dead. No signs of aggression or disease. Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate at 5ppm. I was planning on posting here about my sudden green hair algae problem, could the two be related?

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
What are your phosphates at? salinity?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Rallos posted:

What are your phosphates at? salinity?

2.0 ppm and 1.022

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

2.0 ppm and 1.022

Phosphate is way high, I'd do some water changes back to back every couple days for a week or two if you can swing it. Also get that salinity up to 1.025-26

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

SaNChEzZ posted:

Phosphate is way high, I'd do some water changes back to back every couple days for a week or two if you can swing it. Also get that salinity up to 1.025-26

Seconding this. Also be careful not to raise your salinity too fast. You can shock everything. You could start topping off with saltwater that is 1.025 or 1.026 until it gets up to that point. Should take a few weeks.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Thank you both, should I put Phosban or Phospure in my filter?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chemipure elite wouldn't hurt, maybe cut feeding a bit and the water changes will definitely help.

Picked up a juvenile candy cane pistol and a juvenile yashia goby today. They're both about 1/2" long :3:

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Well everything in my tank has been happy for the last month or two so I took the plunge on some stuff online:

- Meteor Shower Cyphastrea (encrusting)
- Poker Star Montipora (encrusting)
- Purple Mini-Maxi Carpet Anemone

I think I might have to get rid of my montipora undata soon because it's actually growing too fast and I'm worried it will eventually shade its neighbors. With the new additions I think I'll be on the brink of overstocked, but I do water changes religiously and everything is healthy so far. Especially excited about the mini-maxi, I hope my 3 sexy shrimp decide to hang out around it instead of ignoring it like they do my ricordeas.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016
I'm really thinking into taking the plunge into SW after having FW for years only thing holding me back is RO water.I'm in Ireland and they're bringing in water charges and RO units are pretty wasteful so I hear.The only LFS that sells RO water is like 40 min drive away,frustrating.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lord Kinbote posted:

I'm really thinking into taking the plunge into SW after having FW for years only thing holding me back is RO water.I'm in Ireland and they're bringing in water charges and RO units are pretty wasteful so I hear.The only LFS that sells RO water is like 40 min drive away,frustrating.

They're wasteful, but if you get a smaller tank, you won't be using the RODI enough to really make that big a dent on your water bill. I need to change 10 gallons every two weeks, which means with my inefficient RODI unit, I use probably 100 gallons of tap water a month on the tank, so about an extra 10 showers a month. Getting rid of my girlfriend would be at least 3 times more effective than getting rid of my tank.

There's also ways to utilize the waste water, and you can always make a bigger investment up front to get a more efficient unit.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Heh. So I warrantied my bad osmolater pump. New pump lasted less than a week before burning out.

I don't get it. I am only pushing like 3.5' head height. These things are garbage.

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007

Slugworth posted:

There's also ways to utilize the waste water
Yeah, it isnt dehumidifier water so its definitely worth keeping around. I keep a bucket for wastewater to use around the house/wash the car/water the plants etc

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

Chemipure elite wouldn't hurt, maybe cut feeding a bit and the water changes will definitely help.

Picked up a juvenile candy cane pistol and a juvenile yashia goby today. They're both about 1/2" long :3:

Thanks. Just bought ChemPure Elite. Amazon, BRS, Drs. Foster & Smith, etc. are great and all, but drat it is nice having a good LFS that actually stocks stuff like that.

E: For a while I bought into the whole "if you're doing everything right, you don't need carbon/etc" but gently caress it, healthy fish and clean water > pride.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 28, 2016

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So my 40b tank has hit the 1 year mark since I started adding fish and corals. Really digging how it's progressing so far.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Nice tank! Planning on adding any SPS?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks! I might add one or two sps, but I think I'm going to stick mainly with softies for now. I'll probably be upgrading this tank to a 90 cube within the year, so will wait until that is done to really take the plunge into sticks.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
I have a few sticks in my biocube 29 and they are doing well so far. What camera did you use to take those photos? I tried to get a good photo of my Forest Fire Digitata under blues and it looked like doodoo.

Digi:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat, those look really cool. There is a big area swap meet in a couple of weeks, so I'll probably end up coming home with something.

I use a Nikon DSLR with a macro lens for most of mine. If you have any photo editing software that can handle it, try adjusting your white balance. Mine look like crap too until I adjust them.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Enos Cabell posted:

drat, those look really cool. There is a big area swap meet in a couple of weeks, so I'll probably end up coming home with something.

I use a Nikon DSLR with a macro lens for most of mine. If you have any photo editing software that can handle it, try adjusting your white balance. Mine look like crap too until I adjust them.

Do you use manual settings or auto? I have a Nikon D3300 but honestly I haven't a clue what I am doing. Those photos I posted are cell phone pics.

This is what the forest fire digitata looks like under blues (not mine, google image for example)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Typically I will set my white balance to 10k, and then use shutter priority mode (set at 120 or so) when I am shooting fish, or aperture priority mode for corals. I almost always focus manually, my lens takes too long to auto-focus usually.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Slowly raising my SG. Yesterday I cleaned out the filter and added the ChemPure Elite. 24 hours later Phosphate is down to 0.25 and Nitrate has dropped to 0.0. Ammonia and Nitrite of course still at 0.0. The one thing I did test for this time that I didn't last time was pH. It's only 8.0. Is that likely a function of the low SG? The triggerfish is still looking good, but of course they are pretty much bulletproof. The wrasse is hiding, but that's his usual MO after tank cleaning.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Low salinity can mess with a variety of tank parameters (mag comes to mind) so once you get it back up make sure to test.

Also: I stopped at my LFS and spotted a fuzzy dwarf lionfish in the anemone/shrimp tank so I nabbed him!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Triggerfish was acting very weird this morning. He was swimming around the surface of the tank. He is usually sleeping in the live rock when I leave for work. gently caress, this is going to be a 100% fatality event I suspect. :negative:

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Triggerfish was acting very weird this morning. He was swimming around the surface of the tank. He is usually sleeping in the live rock when I leave for work. gently caress, this is going to be a 100% fatality event I suspect. :negative:

How slow are you going with the salinity?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Rallos posted:

How slow are you going with the salinity?

I added 4 gallons that were 1.025 yesterday. It's a 75 gallon tank.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

I added 4 gallons that were 1.025 yesterday. It's a 75 gallon tank.

Ah, okay. Doesnt sound too fast then. Hope the trigger is okay.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Rallos posted:

Ah, okay. Doesnt sound too fast then. Hope the trigger is okay.

Happy to report trigger was back to his old self when I got home from work and he eagerly ate some brine shrimp. Wrasse is still MIA.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Well my brand new dwarf fuzzy lionfish was dead this morning. Also my wall hammer got brown jelly disease and melted. Not a good week so far... :cry:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
To add to the doom count my plan of "throw these oysters in and never test any parameters again" isn't working out.

The oysters died and I didn't realize it, also my crab died and a bunch of mollies bit it as well. On the upside I can practically see my sps coral growing. Like on an almost day to day basis it is getting bigger. The last living mangrove is on it's way out as well: the roots are all hosed up.

I've got slime growing in different spots, and I think it grew over the roots and the tree started to wither. Pretty disappointed because it was growing well for a couple years.
This slime's a big pain because I have to manually remove it from the plants and other sedentary things I want to keep. A pretty neat encrusting algae and a decent orange macroalgae and my coral all have to be cleaned often. Every other day I take a soft, fine tipped paintbrush and carefully brush the slime off.

I've got opinions about mangroves. You've probably all seen this info somewhere already, but I feel like posting about them. I'm a big time fan if you have an open tank with the right lighting for them. They aren't a miracle nutrient exporter, but I think they add a cool, natural interest for the tank, functionally do remove nutrients (and this removal rate grows as the tree grows, so in 10,000 years when it's huge you could have the opposite problem), and provide good habitat for sessile hitchhikers that may be neat.

There's some techniques you can use to get different aesthetics out of these guys. Generally you'll pick these up as unbudded propagules and that may be the best way to get them. Mangroves grow extremely slowly, but especially when young are super sensitive to any salinity changes. If you have an unbudded one with no roots coming out, then when the roots do come they'll only experience your (hopefully) stable tank parameters. Unless you have a super short tank where you can stab the butt of the propagule directly into the substrate, you should anchor it to the actual tank or float it in some way.

Leaves always need to be above the waterline. You should mist them if you see any salt deposits. Also the green trunk part, you want a good amount of this thing above the water line at all times.
Once the roots start coming they should head towards substrate. If you have a mechanism where the water line decreases periodically like that tides, and anchor the thing to the tank instead of floating it, the roots will be encouraged to spread out and branch and look p cool.

The mangrove will grow slowly and never really be fully established until the roots hit substrate. Once that happens, they'll send out normal style terrestrial looking roots into the sand or gravel and should become a lot more hardy. So it's a bit of a balancing act. My last one has these cool roots arcing across 1/3 the tank, but they haven't made it to dirt yet, so they're vulnerable. I didn't take care to make sure they wouldn't get clogged by slime and other bullshit, and now the plant will probably die from it.

Once a root hits substrate it's less likely to produce more branches, imo. I had another one where some of the roots bumped into an intake sponge and it was like "gently caress this aerial roots poo poo, I'm DONE." After that, all roots went straight down looking for the sand. Also it became completely impossible to separate from the sponge, it was basically permanently bonded into the intake. Once I noticed it was already too late, and I couldn't even slip the sponge off the intake because of the roots.

If a mangrove starts taking off, it can snowball pretty good, in the right conditions.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Yeah I'd like to place some mangroves into the back chambers in my Lagoon 25 but I'm not sure if that would work out. I think I might place a couple in the back of the display area, maybe behind some rocks.

I'm trying to figure out my layout and have been experimenting with different setups. I'm generally a fan of like a "open bay" or crescent shape but someone suggested I try a two island setup and I think I like it.

My display at home is basically kind of laid out like this.

But I'm thinking I kind of like this better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Great news. Got home from work and my wrasse was swimming calmly around tank with my trigger. I feared the worst but he looks fine and even ate.

• Locked thread