Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Much better round for Quigg, looks like he's found his rhythm in these late rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Quigg is winning his rounds more comprehensively than Frampton was winning his. Don't know if that is going to be enough, but still.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
When everyones afraid to lose their undefeated records, all fights suck

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

it's started at last

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Frampton is tired as gently caress, how can such a midget be so tight at the weight

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Quigg will be kicking himself for this fight if he loses, got started way too late.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

jim watt's scorecard sounds like it's all over the place. having quigg a point up going into the last round lol

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Bad fight, start about 8 rounds earlier next time please

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Got it 7 rounds for Frampton to 5 for Quigg. Quigg should have started pounding the body early, think he gave too many rounds away at the start.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

will buffer get through an entire card without a cock up

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Ignoring those first 6 rounds where nothing happened I give it to Quigg. The commentators seem convinced that Frampton took those first 6 even though gently caress all happened so I guess it could go either way?? Boxing scoring will continue to remain a mystery to me I guess.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

IDK I think the right guy won. You have to score those early rounds for someone, and only one guy was doing anything to make a fight happen in the first half.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Hahah 115-113 for Quigg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
so it sounds like i didn't miss out not being able to watch it live

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

"I knew I could make it boring"

Alright Carl, I'll be sure to watch Selby take your loving head off on a stream.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

how many mongs are gonna try and actually book a holiday in gotham city

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Jose posted:

My Internet has poo poo the bed so I can't watch it. Where will be good for a recording tomorrow?

lol someone's already got it up. video quality fitting for the fight tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYHs6i-nTpg

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm not that impressed by Felix Verdejo. He's a great boxer but there's not much there to get excited about.

Crawford-Lundy about to start.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Lundy looks prime.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Huge size difference

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Ugh the Thunder/Warriors game is just too crazy I actually forgot. Um go Hank Lundy's mean mugging

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah uh Crawford is pretty loving good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Lundy's a really likeable guy who just isn't good enough to beat anyone good, let alone Bud.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I remember like three years ago when people thought Crawford was another boring potshot Mayweather clone. He's gotten better and better with every fight, he's a special fighter and could very well turn out to be the Mayweather of this decade.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

The Ninth Layer posted:

IDK I think the right guy won. You have to score those early rounds for someone, and only one guy was doing anything to make a fight happen in the first half.

Aye this. Was a poo poo fight but Quigg did nothing for nearly 8 rounds and couldn't catch Carl with anything substantial in the end so it was fair enough. Was at it and loved seeing Frampton win but jesus christ I don't want to see these two fight this fight again or probably any fight again.

Quigg probably could've knocked Frampton out if he tried to throw a punch that wasn't a counter inside the first half of the fight, think it's a case of trainers over thinking things.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Jim Ross is going to be doing some commentary for CBS it seems.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6830f536c48047c1a48a301e043274e9/former-wwe-announcer-jim-ross-signs-cbs-boxing-voice

I wonder how well pro wrestling play-by-play translates to boxing commentary. (Insert joke about being used to commentate on fixed outcomes)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

There's talks of Crawford-Provodnikov and then grumbles that it isn't Crawford-Postol. I mean, Crawford-Postol is certainly the more meaningful matchup but idk what world people are living in if they don't think provodnikov would make for a fun fight. He loses, but he doesn't lose easily.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

MrBling posted:

Jim Ross is going to be doing some commentary for CBS it seems.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6830f536c48047c1a48a301e043274e9/former-wwe-announcer-jim-ross-signs-cbs-boxing-voice

I wonder how well pro wrestling play-by-play translates to boxing commentary. (Insert joke about being used to commentate on fixed outcomes)

He's done this before, you can find it on YouTube.

Edit: here https://youtube.com/watch?v=8sL4-K6ik64

afatwhiteloaf fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 28, 2016

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm not that impressed by Felix Verdejo. He's a great boxer but there's not much there to get excited about.

Crawford-Lundy about to start.

I feel like Verdejo's being (understandably) over cautious over his last few fights because of his hand issues. If he would have stepped on the gas he could've gotten silva outta there in 5 or 6.

Unfortunately 135 is a wonky division so he probably cant do much there and Top Rank wrote the book on bringing prospects along so it will be a while before he faces someone who he can impress against.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
So Chavez Jr. got a shot against Badou Jack on 4/30 but supposedly left camp and now Chavez Sr. going in on his son.

https://twitter.com/Ben2012_London/status/704456252005478400

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SThNhGxkuoc

Ghetto translation

quote:

Chavez Sr: I'm going to tell the truth here because I can't cover it up anymore. If this kid-my son-continues in this way. This undisciplined [visible frustration as he searches for words]...If I could only find the words
Panelist 1: Apathy, Julio?
Chavez Sr.: No, no, no. The truth is it's worse than that.
Panelist 2: Irresponsibility?
Chavez Sr. Yes, his irresponsibility really. Honestly, I wish that he retires. Doesn't fight. Because I'm worried in all honesty. Because this kid wants to do things his way. Train when he wants. Do what he wants. Those things just won't fly anymore. So the truth is I just can't put up with this kid anymore honestly. I'm totally dissappointed with his apathy. With his indiscipline. And the truth is........I don't know what to do"

Now THAT is how you sell a fight.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 1, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Junior's explanation is that he left to get his foot checked out.

He's a joke anyway, but seeing his father trashing on him is something else. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for a boxing warrior legend like JCC to know his son is a total bitch.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I actually feel bad for Jcc Jr. He doesn't even like boxing and he grew up with a coked out alcoholic dad who is a boxing legend with a legacy no son could ever live up too. Jcc used pay people off the street to beat up junior to toughen him up. I know it's hard to feel sorry for a multimillionaire but he has some serious issues.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Jessie Vargas- Sadam Ali followed by Luis Oritz-Tony Thompson on HBO now.

EDIT: Lmao @ the ref wearing jeans and sneakers

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 6, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I picked Ali before the fight but after seeing 2 and a half rounds of that fight I though it was pretty clear he was out of his level

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Is it crazy that I would take Luis Ortiz vs any heavyweight in the world?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

nobody decent is gonna go near him

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

thehappyprince posted:

nobody decent is gonna go near him

He is the WBA mandatory so if Klitschko wins the rematch-and Wlad loves the belts-I could see that happening.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

A bunch of fighters pulled out of unrelated fights for unrelated reasons. Matthysse withdrew from the Canelo-Khan undercard because of persisting issues with his eye from his TKO loss to Postol, JCC Jr pulls out of his title shot against Badou Jack because of a "heel injury" and poor Rigondeaux was unable to obtain a Visa to travel from his training camp in Russia to the fight's location in The UK.

Hot takes:

Matthysse might be out for good, or at least out of his prime. If an injury is taking that long to heal, it will probably continue to be a problem for the rest of his career. :fireman:

JCC Jr is in a no win situation here. Rumours are obviously swirling that the injury isn't real, or exaggerated if it is. I had heard something about a foot injury this as soon as the news came that he suddenly left his camp, but people aren't going to cut him any slack for withdrawing from a title shot he didn't earn, especially after that soundbite of JCC Sr badmouthing him went around. Regardless, JCC Jr continues to disappoint.

Rigondeaux just needs to pull it together man. Andre Ward is outpacing him in activity right now. I don't know if it's just bad management from the relatively green Rock Nation or if it's just god's personal anger but Rigo just needs to break out of it. To be clear, his visa wasn'r denied, They just didn't apply for it in time. Or rather they put it off to last few days but then the day the went to get it there was some obscure russian holiday and the government offices were closed. Really.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

honestly what's even to look forward to with boxing in the next 6 months? khan vs canelo? disappointing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Canelo-Khan should be a spectacle at least. Pacquiao-Bradley is also coming but uh, uhgg

Martin-Joshua might be fun, the Heavyweight division has been cracked wide open in the last year, whoever comes out of that fight will be a big deal and if it's anthony joshua he might fight david haye for a bag of money in the future.

For the smaller guys there's Spence-Algeri, admittedly not jaw dropping or anything, but a solid competitive fight tucked away in between the big PPVs. Spence has been tested before but this fight will tell us the most about him, mostly because Algeri is a known quality. Algeri's no world beater, but he makes things very difficult. If Spence wins in a convincing fashion he'll be a top guy in WW.

For the smallest guys, Choclatito is once again fighting on the undercard of a golovkin fight, this time though, his opponent is actually good. McWilliams Arroyo is a legitimate contender and while Gonzalez has burned through those before, it will still be nice to see him do it again.

It's not a great stretch but if you're down to watch the build up fights instead of the big pay offs, there are some that should still be interesting.

Nothing confirmed yet, but if you're willing to look to the summer, I hear the negotiations on Wilder-Povetkin are going well.

E: on the topic of unconfirmed fights allegedly in the works, Lomachenko-Walters might be on the horizon.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 10, 2016

• Locked thread