Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the SC primary?
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Martin O'Malley
Willie Wilson
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/703731966185709568

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Joementum posted:

All of the polling so far has shown that a vast majority of Democratic primary voters would be happy to vote for either candidate in the general election, and certainly would considering the likely alternative. There are always a small but vocal group of partisan holdouts, like the PUMA crew, but they're not a significant part of the vote. Even if only 50% of the new Democrats Bernie brought in vote for Clinton in the general, that's still a pile of new Democrats who didn't vote in 2012, a year in which the Democrats won.

She won't get any of the progressive vote and I doubt youth will begrudgingly vote for her. Pandering to fears of the right got us these third way democrats.

Also I'm probably a bit selfish and know I personally can weather a Republican presidency.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

All of the polling so far has shown that a vast majority of Democratic primary voters would be happy to vote for either candidate in the general election, and certainly would considering the likely alternative. There are always a small but vocal group of partisan holdouts, like the PUMA crew, but they're not a significant part of the vote. Even if only 50% of the new Democrats Bernie brought in vote for Clinton in the general, that's still a pile of new Democrats who didn't vote in 2012, a year in which the Democrats won.

Yeah most of them will vote for Clinton of course. I just don't think any enthusiasm he generates in terms of young voters going out and being engaged in the political system necessarily translates to them doing it for the Democrat party.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

:aaa:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
lol NBC is calling it

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Yikes. I want to see how Bernie's speech will address this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

...What did Obama take? I know he beat her by like 30 points but wasn't he in the mid 70's to do it?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Wow... that is absolutely insane.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bad Caller posted:

Honestly if the southern firewall wins the nom for Hillary, it won't matter in the general if white liberals in the north avoid voting for her, since our crappy all or nothing electoral college means the south will be red as it always is since LBJ, and she needs to carry swing states that are very white to win the map.

Democrats never win the white vote. They haven't since, like, Carter. The idea that Hillary really needs all those white people is silly. Every year the Democrats need fewer white votes to win and every year the nation, outside places like Vermont, New Hampshire, and Iowa, get more brown.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Goetta posted:

Yeah most of them will vote for Clinton of course. I just don't think any enthusiasm he generates in terms of young voters going out and being engaged in the political system necessarily translates to them doing it for the Democrat party.

Well apparently he wasn't really drumming up any enthusiasm in terms of young voters going out to the polls anyway so...

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/703732343983439872

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

...What did Obama take? I know he beat her by like 30 points but wasn't he in the mid 70's to do it?

Obama got 78% of the black vote in 2008.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

:wow:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Holy poo poo.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

wew

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pinterest Mom posted:

loving Christ I think even the most die hard Clinton dems are having to find new pants right now

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

Pinterest Mom posted:

Hillary blacker than Obama

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Holy poo poo. That is insane. If she gets that level of support in 3 days this race is officially over.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Hopefully Bernie's 200 man ground game will make up the difference!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

zen death robot posted:

Didn't Sanders leave SC for a few days in the middle of the week or am I remembering something wrong

Yeah he obviously got a whiff of something like this.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

zen death robot posted:

Didn't Sanders leave SC for a few days in the middle of the week or am I remembering something wrong

Honestly it seemed as if he simply didn't know what to do, abandon SC entirely or make some sort of token effort at it. So he kind of fell in the middle.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Goetta posted:

I feel like at least some portion of Bernie supporters might come out pretty anti-DNC after all this given that campaign has been based around getting rid of corrupt political campaign systems. It is hard to see people attracted to that message immediately turn around and become lifelong Democrats, at least in the party's current form.

Plus a lot of them think that the DNC has been going out of their way to gently caress them over and push Clinton since the start, which is pretty hard to argue against.

I feel like these people don't exist, and if they did they won't vote anyway.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

zen death robot posted:

He bailed on SC, yeah. Only campaigned Sunday and Friday.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zen death robot posted:

He was there this morning and yesterday, but the campaign knew this was going to happen and basically wrote the state off last week, spending most of their time in Super Tuesday states.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
New poli sci theory for Nate to try out: Black Voters Decide

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

is there anywhere that aggregates the precincts by CD as they come out, or am i going to have to watch the nytimes county-by-county splits and then look for reports on how things are breaking down by CD

i guess the outcome is becoming undoubted but i'm still curious how the different districts will vote

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

axeil posted:

Holy poo poo. That is insane. If she gets that level of support in 3 days this race is officially over.

Pretty much, if this is the trend rather than SC being bonkers it's over, Sanders already needed losses in the south to be way more narrow than projected, but if they become absolute blowouts there's no coming back and at best he's a dead man walking until the 15th

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Gyges posted:

Democrats never win the white vote. They haven't since, like, Carter. The idea that Hillary really needs all those white people is silly. Every year the Democrats need fewer white votes to win and every year the nation, outside places like Vermont, New Hampshire, and Iowa, get more brown.

Dividing politics on racial voting blocs is basically the easiest way for the USA to stay racially charged forever. The youth white vote swings left and dividing politics on racial lines is not good in the long run for our country. Democrats should still care about the white vote as well.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Joementum posted:

Once again, Hillary's biggest weakness is the dunderheads she's surrounded by.

https://twitter.com/ABCLiz/status/703680226585280512

gently caress that. Every time Hillary pisses on the press I feel a little better about voting for her.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bad Caller posted:

Dividing politics on racial voting blocs is basically the easiest way for the USA to stay racially charged forever. The youth white vote swings left and dividing politics on racial lines is not good in the long run for our country. Democrats should still care about the white vote as well.

The DNC does care about the white vote, they just don't make the white vote the cornerstone of their operations like the RNC does, because they don't need to.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Pretty much, if this is the trend rather than SC being bonkers it's over, Sanders already needed losses in the south to be way more narrow than projected, but if they become absolute blowouts there's no coming back and at best he's a dead man walking until the 15th

Suddenly the polls of Georgia and the rest of the south make a whole bunch more sense.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

:drat:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Schnorkles posted:

Suddenly the polls of Georgia and the rest of the south make a whole bunch more sense.

Yeeeea those are looking less like 'what, that's gotta be overblown' now I guess.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

oystertoadfish posted:

is there anywhere that aggregates the precincts by CD as they come out, or am i going to have to watch the nytimes county-by-county splits and then look for reports on how things are breaking down by CD

i guess the outcome is becoming undoubted but i'm still curious how the different districts will vote

The AP does. Here's their page for the GOP primary. I can't find the Democratic one. They only distribute this to news network subscribers, so you have to guess the URL.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/elections/2016/by_cd/SC_GOP_0220_VD.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=POLITICS

Anyway, Hillary's going to win every CD.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

The AP does. Here's their page for the GOP primary. I can't find the Democratic one. They only distribute this to news network subscribers, so you have to guess the URL.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/elections/2016/by_cd/SC_GOP_0220_VD.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=POLITICS

And probably every county if the exit polls are accurate.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Suck it Bernouts

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

Joementum posted:

Physical media is dead and dying.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:lol:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh my god 87 to 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bad Caller posted:

Democrats usually win around 40% or so of the white vote. Considering they don't build their rhetoric around coddling the poor white man who is just being unfairly trampled under the boot of minorities and women like the Republicans do, that's not bad. It's hardly ignoring the demographic and puts them on the same emphasis as other demographics.

• Locked thread