Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Bruceski posted:

My favorite Batman scene would have to be from Justice League when he fights his totalitarian-universe counterpart. Instead of a beat-down fight the whole thing is ghosting each other through the Batcave and debating ideology.

My favorite little detail in that is how you never see the Batman who's actually talking in any given shot. It'll show Justice League Batman skulking behind some stalagmites but with Justice Lord Batman talking and then vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

citybeatnik posted:

All Star Batman does have that hilarious bit where Batman meets with Green Lantern, wearing a yellow batsuit while Robin frantically tries to finish painting the last bit of the room yellow and offering GL a drink of lemonaid.

Superman: Birthright's another good one. But I was always the kid that preferred Supes over Bats from the start. For one thing, only one of them helped to destroy the KKK in the actual, non-comic, real world.

The yellow room is basically the only good part of the comic, and then Miller's hindbrain reasserts itself so Robin crushes his loving windpipe and Batman manages to Trach him with a steak knife and a straw.

Superman: Secret Identity is good but for different reasons.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Kurieg posted:

The yellow room is basically the only good part of the comic, and then Miller's hindbrain reasserts itself so Robin crushes his loving windpipe and Batman manages to Trach him with a steak knife and a straw.

Superman: Secret Identity is good but for different reasons.

I am guessing that there was a reason for painting everything yellow?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Thesaya posted:

Modern Green Lanterns can't affect the color yellow. It's why Sinestro and Yellow Lanterns are typically their arch-enemy.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
The first green lantern had an issue with wooden objects.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Please, can we stop talking about ASSBAR? I'm getting goddamned flashbacks ;)

Anyway, with all the hate poured upon PC version, I guess I was one of the lucky ones - the only serious bug I've had was when, upon reloading, part of the map I was only didn't load the hi-res version. The thing is, low-res version of the building are intangible, so I had to frantically glide to the next map cell before falling below the map :)

The other bugs I've encountered was Batman air-planking (the same as in Origins) and his suit being dirty only during the cutscenes. So, yay me? :)

Now, the Bat-tank. I don't like it. Just think about it for a second - does "guy drives around in an armored vehicle and blasts tank drones" sound like a Batman game? But I can almost imagine how it went - Rocksteady wanted to finally make a driveable Batmobile for their last Arkham game, but when they did, they realized that merely driving around and taking down an occasional car is kinda redundant, boring, and not worth the effort. Thus, unmanned tanks, drive tracks, etc. - all this not-quite-batmanesque stuff being forced on us to justify the presence of a Bat-tank. Meh.

Plus, it's the fact that all this armament is pro-active, contrary to the previous games, where Batman would encounter a situation that requires a new gadget and then acquire that gadget. Here, the Bat-tank is already armed with lethal weapons, even though Batman had no way of knowing that he's going to be fighting against armored and unmanned vehicles.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Time for a wardrobe upgrade.

The Clothes Make The (Bat)Man/Polsy

New profiles: Robin

Race 1: 1966 - Penguin Dockyard/Polsy

Also this is the first of the BATMOBILE RACES that came as DLC. And man oh man do I love 1966 Batman.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

dscruffy1 posted:

We're still on Robin #3, Tim Drake. He is dating Barbara, as compared to it being Dick Grayson in comic continuity.

Tim Drake is dating Dick Grayson in the comics?

... which one gets to wear the suit?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Fear takedowns are both tons of fun and hilariously overpowered, especially once you can clear out five people at once with them. And you only need a single silent takedown to recharge it. It probably should have either required more or been something you could only do once per stealth encounter.

You also mentioned that there's about half as many riddles as there were in Arkham City, and that's both true and kind of unfortunate. Since the city is something like three or four times larger than AC, the Riddler's stuff is spread out and difficult to find when you're down to only 10-15% of them left. In AC you were tripping over trophies and riddle answers on every rooftop, and every time you found an alleyway you hadn't gone down before, there was probably something there - not so much in AK. The relative scarcity of the riddles was actually more annoying to me than the overwhelming number of them in AC.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Sure is nice of those last three goons to just stay in there and wait until you get all of your suit's AR training done. Boy, would batman's face be griefstruck if he missed his chance to save someone because he was dicking around with last minute diagnostics.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
"The 'Arkham Knight'"? Even Batman thinks the title is stupid and a desperate tie-in.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Sure is nice of those last three goons to just stay in there and wait until you get all of your suit's AR training done. Boy, would batman's face be griefstruck if he missed his chance to save someone because he was dicking around with last minute diagnostics.

They heard it, but they thought they'd be safer staying inside since there's no way to trap them while they're all in one spot within each other's sightlines.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Why is Tim dating Barbara? I mean, they could have Nightwing in here instead, couldn't they?

Then again, neither of the other two Batgirls who Tim either dated or had romantic chemistry exist in the Arkhamverse, so I guess he's dating Babs by default.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

They heard it, but they thought they'd be safer staying inside since there's no way to trap them while they're all in one spot within each other's sightlines.

Yeah, exactly. If not for our new Fear Takedown ability this would indeed be a very good tactic to for keeping the Batman from ambushing you. (Though I guess he could also throw a smoke bomb in there or something)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Why is Tim dating Barbara? I mean, they could have Nightwing in here instead, couldn't they?
Nightwing is busy elsewhere. IIRC he was in AC so this is apparently a continuity where both of them are still around.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Thesaya posted:

To go into a little more detail. The green lanterns are powered by willpower, as long as they have the strength of will and presence of mind they can use their rings to do basically anything they want. So when you're a nigh invincible superman with the ability to do anything your mind wants, you don't really have a concept of fear. And yellow is the Color of fear (Also included in the emotional spectrum is Red Rage, Orange Avarice, Blue Hope, Indigo Compassion, and Violet Love: Collect the whole set!) You can overcome fear with sufficient willpower, so a while back the Guardians of the Lanterns imprisoned Parallax, the embodiment of all emotional fear, within the Power Battery that fuels all green lanterns. This weakened fear as a whole but also made the Green Lanterns unable to affect or protect themselves against Yellow Objects.

Eventually Parallax escaped, and also the Green Lanterns of earth figured out that the guardian's policy of "hide it away and hope it doesn't come back to bite us" didn't work so they started training the rest of the Corps to accept and deal with their fears, allowing them to deal with Sinestro's yellow lanterns.

anilEhilated posted:

Nightwing is busy elsewhere. IIRC he was in AC so this is apparently a continuity where both of them are still around.

He hangs out in Bludhaven, though I do believe he comes around later in this game. They probably have her dating Tim because in this continuity Tim is Older and Barbara is younger than they normally are.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

He hangs out in Bludhaven, though I do believe he comes around later in this game. They probably have her dating Tim because in this continuity Tim is Older and Barbara is younger than they normally are.
Yeah, I didn't want to put it openly since it might constitute a spoiler but Nightwing is around and shows up.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Face-concealing helmet? Obsessed with the Batman? Uses guns?

Calling it now, the Arkham Knight is Jason Todd. Assuming his identity is ambiguous at all in this game and not revealed in the next video, anyway. It would complete the Robin trifecta.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I haven't played this game (I have 100%ed Asylum and City though), and I am unreasonably upset that they changed the sound Riddler trophies make when you pick them up- I guess I have a Pavlovian response to the original sound.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, if we're doing AK speculation, my money (I'm slightly ahead of the LP in the game, playing for the first time) is on Hush. Batman obsession, check. Rich bastard, check. Plus he ended AC looking like Bruce Wayne which sounds like a pretty good shock moment when he takes that mask off.

edit: VVV Yeah, that's what I was talking about. There's a series of murders and it turns out he's collecting skin for a Bruce Wayne face plastic.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 27, 2016

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

anilEhilated posted:

Well, if we're doing AK speculation, my money (I'm slightly ahead of the LP in the game, playing for the first time) is on Hush. Batman obsession, check. Rich bastard, check. Plus he ended AC looking like Bruce Wayne which sounds like a pretty good shock moment when he takes that mask off.

Weird that Hush would be able to amass an army or anything like that. I don't really know a whole lot about him though outside of his appearance in AC.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ooh, just found this thread. Looking good so far, dscruffy1. Loved your previous LPs for this series.

The actual game though, this was the most disappointing game of 2015 for me. The Batmobile overstays it's welcome, the story is predictable garbage (worse than Rocksteady's other Arkham games, the story in those was just merely mediocre) and they completely ruined the challenge rooms. At launch there were something like five maps for combat and predator each (not including tutorial maps) but there were fifteen(!) Batmobile maps. Rocksteady really thought people were going to love the Batmobile.

Not to mention the DLC is pretty much all garbage. Most of the story DLC is incredibly short and the only one that has any length to it is wasted opportunity in both story and gameplay, but I won't go into that until we get there. The Batmobile skins are massive offenders in my eyes, they're either crappy re-textures or complete new vehicles that you can't even use in the main game until you've all but finished it.
The skins that actually have some effort put into them (like the 1960's Batmobile in the race video) only have the car mode, no tank mode. While that does make sense, it means that while there is still the possibility of getting into a tank-fight you can't use the skin in the campaign. I understand that they're not going to design a 'second form' for all these legacy designs, but surely they could have done something other than just saying "you can't use this skin until the game is all but done". Hell, I'd have taken the cars just skidding around unnaturally with a magic gun appearing on top, at least then I'd actually be able to use the skin.

Not to mention the complete gently caress-up that is the PC version, at least console versions run pretty much perfectly.

Anyway, I'll stop bitching now. Enjoying the LP so far.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If we're betting on the Knight's identity, my money's on "random shmuck with an invented backstory connection" just because of general cynicism around "who is X" mysteries.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I want to believe the Arkham Knight is Alfred

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I'm banking on Thomas Wayne Jr..

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guys, remember what series this is.

The Arkham Knight is the Joker.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Guys, remember what series this is.

The Arkham Knight is the Joker.

The Joker is also the Riddler. And Bane. And Poison Ivy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean the Joker did technically become Bane at the end of Arkham Asylum so that's already happened, at least.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Joker is also the Riddler. And Bane. And Poison Ivy.
And Batman.
Anyhow, playing this it can't be stressed enough how bullshit the Riddler trophy placement is. There's miles of empty Gotham and then you get into a "level" and there's six trophies within two rooms. They really didn't think that one through.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Arkham Knight is Shadow the Hedgehog.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bruceski posted:

If we're betting on the Knight's identity, my money's on "random shmuck with an invented backstory connection" just because of general cynicism around "who is X" mysteries.

Oh, so like "Red X" from the Teen Titans cartoon. Which was originally an alternate identity of Robin until someone else got the suit.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It seems that holding up a holographic display of the Commisoner's daughter and the butler of one of Gotham's most famous men out in the open where anyone can see it is a good way to help people to figure out Batman's identity, but I get why they didn't want Oracle to be a voice only role again.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Happy to see this going on! I loved the last 3 LPs and I expect this one will be no different.

Doc Morbid posted:

I wanted to like Arkham Knight, I really did. Parts of it were just as enjoyable as the previous games. However, I wasn't a fan of the new gameplay stuff. Pretty much everyone's complained about the Batmobile already so I'm not gonna go there (although I'll say I genuinely enjoyed driving the car around Gotham), but even the melee combat felt wrong somehow. Someone mentioned the targeting being wonky at times, and I also had that experience -- I'm pushing the stick in the direction of the most threatening enemy that I'm trying to prioritize, but Batman says "gently caress that" and decides to leap the opposite way to clobber some random baseball bat wielding guy. Or jump right into one of the enemies you can't punch.

That kind of thing happened quite often for me, and it was really irritating. Yes, :gitgud: and all that, but I don't think this is a case of user error. I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty mediocre at Arkham combat, but even I usually manage to push the stick in the right direction.

There were other things that bothered me as well, but those won't come up until much later so I won't talk about them quite yet. Arkham Knight certainly isn't a bad game and it's still better than Origins, but to me it was quite a big disappointment. Maybe I expected too much.

Yeah, this sums it up and I had to come to terms with this. I beat it, I even 100%'d it. But I didn't 200% it and that means something considering how I played Asylum, City, and even Origins to some extent. This game shines in the details. Like "Even the Odds" is neat.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

OldMemes posted:

It seems that holding up a holographic display of the Commisoner's daughter and the butler of one of Gotham's most famous men out in the open where anyone can see it is a good way to help people to figure out Batman's identity, but I get why they didn't want Oracle to be a voice only role again.

Batman's eyes go all techy and strange whenever he has a hologram up, I think it's not actually a hologram but augmented reality so he's the only one who sees it.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012

Veotax posted:

The actual game though, this was the most disappointing game of 2015 for me. The Batmobile overstays it's welcome, the story is predictable garbage (worse than Rocksteady's other Arkham games, the story in those was just merely mediocre) and they completely ruined the challenge rooms.(...)
Yeah! Preach it, man! :)

Now, dscruffy1, I'm gonna respectfully disagree with your Riddler love here - personally, I find this guy like, thrice annoying now. The main reason for it being the overall difficulty of his riddles. Now, in the movies or comics the writers can make his riddles properly hard, leave his reader scratching his head, and then make Batman solve them at the end - but here, those riddles have to be comparably easier so solve; after all, it's not Batman that's solving them, but your average gamer. The disconnect here was maybe hilarious the first time around ("You will never solve my riddle which requires you to look at the painting!"), but after four games, it's just annoying. And this guy doesn't ever learn his lesson! "Oh, you've beaten me before multiple times and solved all my riddles, but I'm the genius and you're the bat-dimwit!" Ugh.

And, the new bat-suit. All bat-equipment, actually. Have you guys noticed the gradual style drift from the comicesque to photo-realistic? I've replayed Arkham Asylum shortly after finishing Arkham Knight, and wow, I didn't realize how... cartoony the Scarecrow looked like in the first game. Like, day and night here. I just don't understand, why does all bat-equipment from Arkham Knight has to be so complex looking? All those moving parts, retractable fins, motorised segmented shin armor... what is it, Iron Man envy or something?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Veotax posted:

Batman's eyes go all techy and strange whenever he has a hologram up, I think it's not actually a hologram but augmented reality so he's the only one who sees it.

Holograms can already be made to be seen only from a certain position, so Batman's holophone is probably in no-peeking mode.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Veotax posted:

That's always been my assumption too. And since he's never communicating with people while in earshot of people whenever he can help it it's not like people will hear him saying Lucius of Commissioner.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the Riddler better when he's portrayed as a pathetic guy with a crippling mental disorder, but that doesn't come across real well in a video game where he has wacky puzzles for you the player to solve. To quote a post that was actually made way back when in the Arkham City thread:

quote:

So that was a loving long video, I had almost forgotten how long we talked, and among the many things we talked about, this is the one I most wanted to bring up again:

This is Stephanie Brown trying to talk to Riddler who is apparently having a really bad mental health day. Two of the riddles in particular stand out.

Stephanie asks why her father, Cluemaster, left clues to his crimes. Riddler answers "One bug is wrapped in a web, therein to die. Another bug is wrapped in it's own web, therein to be reborn." Cluemaster is the second bug - he started leaving clues because he didn't like the person he was and was trying to be something greater, but Riddler is the first bug, unable to escape from the traps of his own psychological problems and knowing that it's killing him. And of course, the last one Riddler gives, not in response to a question but a demand. Stephanie wants one straight answer, just one. "I am the number you can't count on your fingers." Zero. He can't give her a straight answer, he's just not capable of it. He couldn't even offer her a loving drink without making it a puzzle (and notice that after she solves the puzzle, he has no problem with explaining it to her) much less respond to questions with straight answers. It's why Riddler is my favorite supervillain - he's as much a prisoner of his psyche as others are to his traps.

Then of course, Rocksteady turned him into Jigsaw

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

dscruffy1 posted:

Race 1: 1966 - Penguin Dockyard/Polsy

Also this is the first of the BATMOBILE RACES that came as DLC. And man oh man do I love 1966 Batman.

Oh my god, I didn't even know that was a thing! What an awesome track.

And some quality countersteering around those corners :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It'd be amusing for batman to take a calland see it from someone else's perspective which is him just standing there and talking to the open air above his wrist.

• Locked thread