Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I've seen similar pages for Aquaman and, I think, Barry Allen Flash and it always strikes me as super lame when you need to have characters talk about how great other characters are. It's like whenever a Marvel writer tries to reassure that, 'No way guys, Hank Pym is actually really cool! Honest!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Much like Cyclops, my interest in Hank Pym as a character is inversely proportional to how cool the writer tries to make him.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's not an accident that the most fondly remembered Hank Pym moments are the ones where he leans into being a complete hot mess of a human being.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wanderer posted:

It's not an accident that the most fondly remembered Hank Pym moments are the ones where he leans into being a complete hot mess of a human being.

I really liked the Secret Invasion issue where it turned out they kept losing Hank Pym Skrulls because his chaotic, brilliant humanity kept driving them insane. :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Superstring posted:

I've seen similar pages for Aquaman and, I think, Barry Allen Flash and it always strikes me as super lame when you need to have characters talk about how great other characters are. It's like whenever a Marvel writer tries to reassure that, 'No way guys, Hank Pym is actually really cool! Honest!'

The Aquaman one was especially bad because it had people in he DC universe acting like Superfriends was a thing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wanderer posted:

There's a quote about Hank Pym and his most famous punch, but I'll be damned about remembering enough of it to even paraphrase it.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Calaveron posted:

There's a quote about Hank Pym and his most famous punch, but I'll be damned about remembering enough of it to even paraphrase it.

There's this, but not sure that's the one you're thinking of.

Skwirl posted:

God dammit, now I'm going to have to start reading Ant Man. However, living in the shadow of the guy who's most famous punch was Hitler is a completely different thing than living in the shadow of a guy whose most famous punch was his wife.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Didn't the writer of that scene describe the scene as "Hank pushes his wife away violently" and was :stare: when the art came back as a literal punch?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Didn't the writer of that scene describe the scene as "Hank pushes his wife away violently" and was :stare: when the art came back as a literal punch?

Nah, he just didn't expect the backhand to be drawn like a hyper dynamic cross with Janet flying away like she's Thanos getting socked by Hulk.

It makes the violence seems way more over the top.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SirDan3k posted:

From the shoulder
beyond the wrist
look out old man
it's my fist!

On clearest days or through thick mist,
no old man shall escape my fist.
Let those who've aged far past their prime,
Beware my power - it's punchin' time!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

darthbob88 posted:

There's this, but not sure that's the one you're thinking of.

This was exactly it, drat. Was it ever expressed this way in any comic book ever?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Superstring posted:

I loved the Avengers Age of Ultron follow-up oneshot that Mark Waid, that was awesome. as well as his characterisation in Avengers Academy. I think because in both cases they didn't try to hard to make him awesome, but that he was a guy who made mistakes and wanted to do better.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
My personal favorite Hank Pym moment

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah but it's kinda ruined due to the excessive copy pasting going on

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

McCloud posted:

Yeah but it's kinda ruined due to the excessive copy pasting going on

And the awkwardness of him talking to a screen with his nose 4 inches away from it

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
To be fair to Pym, it looks like Reed is right up against whatever camera he's talking into too.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Superstring posted:

Get that a lot with The Punisher too. I don't mind authors having favorites and all that, but I hate being told "No, my guy is the best!" Especially when your guy is Barry Allen Flash.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Don't forget that Peter Parker hit his wife too, and while she was pregnant, no less! When Peter learns that Ben Reilly is really, truly, without a doubt the original, he goes nuts and this happens:

As with Pym, the script didn't call for him to hit her, he was just supposed to push her away and accidentally knock her down, but somehow it wasn't drawn that way. The interesting thing is that one of the artists for that was Bill Sienkiewicz, who, after the Pym comic was published, told Jim Shooter that if he'd drawn it he would've done it right. Looks like he had another chance and blew it.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Action Jacktion posted:

As with Pym, the script didn't call for him to hit her, he was just supposed to push her away and accidentally knock her down, but somehow it wasn't drawn that way. The interesting thing is that one of the artists for that was Bill Sienkiewicz, who, after the Pym comic was published, told Jim Shooter that if he'd drawn it he would've done it right. Looks like he had another chance and blew it.

That's Sal Buscema on art, although Sienkiewicz did the inking.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Action Jacktion posted:

Don't forget that Peter Parker hit his wife too, and while she was pregnant, no less! When Peter learns that Ben Reilly is really, truly, without a doubt the original, he goes nuts and this happens:

Yeah but that was the 90s.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think the general rule in comics seems to be "If it happened in the 90's then it didn't actually happen." Which honestly seems like a pretty good rule of thumb.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

galagazombie posted:

I think the general rule in comics seems to be "If it happened in the 90's then it didn't actually happen." Which honestly seems like a pretty good rule of thumb.

This applies to all aspects of life.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Toshimo posted:

This applies to all aspects of life.

I was born in 1990 and can't really remember the 90's so it checks out.

Well I remember bits and pieces but like said, I'm not sure if they happened...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Particularly when it involves the Clone Saga.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Can we keep Reilley's spider man costume? I always liked that one and wouldn't mind if it showed up again sometime.

Although his scarlet spider costume sucks, we can toss that.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 29, 2016

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I would love it if they used the hoodie Scarlet Spider costume as Peter's first homemade suit in the new movie. That's about all it would be good for

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Action Jacktion posted:

Peter's hit a few women in his time...

Like when he killed Charlemagne

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Mastermind posted:

Pre-Clone Saga Spider-Man in the 1990s would probably be summed up by Solo smashing through a window firing two machine guns and yelling, "WHILE I LIVE, TERROR DIES!"

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pre-Clone Saga Spider-Man in the 1990s would probably be summed up by Solo smashing through a window firing two machine guns and yelling, "WHILE I LIVE, TERROR DIES!"

Followed by the sparkle teleport.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Tavarin posted:

That's Sal Buscema on art, although Sienkiewicz did the inking.

He said he'd've done the Pym panel right when he wasn't involved with it at all, so it seems like he at least could've said something even if he wasn't the main artist. Or maybe he decided it wouldn't sully Spider-Man's character since of course it wasn't the real Peter Parker doing it.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 2, 2016

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Action Jacktion posted:

He said he'd've done the Pym panel right when he wasn't involved with it at all, so it seems like he at least could've said something even if he wasn't the main artist. Or maybe he decided it wouldn't sully Spider-Man's character since of course it wasn't the real Peter Parker doing it.

Except it was, in the end.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Personally this image is what I think of when I think of 90's comics.
Like I would go out of my way to include Solo in any story or part thereof set in the 90's.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Spider-man gets a pass on idiot stuff like this because he lives in the ONLY reality in which he doesn't die horribly. Every single "What if..." starts with the basic premise that Spider-man is/is about to die. "What if Captain America dyed his hair black. Also Spider-man was eaten by crows?" "What if Wolverine-Oh poo poo Spider-man exploded!"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Today's Omega Men #9. This is the very end of the issue, near the end of the series, so if you're trade waiting or something you might wanna not blow up the TIMGs.

The evil colony of worlds leaders have massacred a planet to mine a resource and sell it to other worlds. The Omega Men have been on a mission of revenge. Their captive, Lantern Kyle Rayner has just exposed the massacre on space TV. He's been without his ring the whole series (the bad guy holding it as condition of him entering their system.)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is that multicolor thing new for him? I got bored of DC again after Blackest Night.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Nevvy Z posted:

Is that multicolor thing new for him? I got bored of DC again after Blackest Night.

Nah it's been a thing for a few years now at least.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Remember the white lantern stuff from the end of Blackest Night? Kyle united a team of different colors in his N52 series and quickly earned the white ring (e: a year and a bit in)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 2, 2016

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
So, what you're saying is that the White Rings are the superior lanterns that rule over all the lesser, Colored Rings?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Toshimo posted:

So, what you're saying is that the White Rings are the superior lanterns that rule over all the lesser, Colored Rings?

Well, I mean the Black(Lantern)s were shown to have no redeeming qualities and only brought death, destruction and despair where they went and the world had to be saved by a white guy, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

How many issues Omega Men are left?