Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

ankle posted:

I can't figure out how to use bait. I'm an idiot.

Get the fiberglass rod from fishman (once you get fishing level 2 or 3 and sell some fish, he'll send you a letter saying he has it in the shop) and it can use bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Dilber posted:

how do you people have time to go into the mines and get poo poo. I have like 150 active crops up right now, and even with the bronze watering can it takes me forever to get it done and I use up most of my stamina before eating all the eggs I get to recover.

It gets easier once you get sprinklers, which is easiest done by... going to the mines, actually. :shobon: I just haven't been growing all that many crops, making my money from fishing/mining instead until I get a good sprinkler system set up.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

mcvey posted:

How big of a Pumpkin can you make

Content\TileSheets\crops.xnb -> .png, Bottom right corner:

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Pylons posted:

You don't craft the ammo, it's just stones.

Oh, I had completely missed how to load ammo/bait into slingshots/rods. Thanks for helping me figure it out!

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Man, in most HM games, I get into a rhythm where I talk to everyone every day. In this game, I get like, 4 people plus bar and don't even make it into the mines every day.

I hope there aren't some real time sensitive things because I'm just bumblefucking my way through.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't made it far enough yet to clear my farm, but do trees grow at a reasonable clip?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

Man, in most HM games, I get into a rhythm where I talk to everyone every day. In this game, I get like, 4 people plus bar and don't even make it into the mines every day.

I hope there aren't some real time sensitive things because I'm just bumblefucking my way through.

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/697955197297905664

Implies there actually is no hard time limit on story stuff

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think a genuinely chill approach of not worrying too much about optimum play is going to be my way into this game. I can't be done with fretting about whether I'm doing it perfectly. Especially now I spent all my cash upgrading my axe and it's suddenly summer and I'm broke.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pumpkins for days.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I'm trapped in the eternal luau. I've talked to everyone and tossed some grapes into the pot, but I can't seem to end the day??? Am I missing something or should I alt+f4 and give it another shot?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

senae posted:

I'm trapped in the eternal luau. I've talked to everyone and tossed some grapes into the pot, but I can't seem to end the day??? Am I missing something or should I alt+f4 and give it another shot?

Did you talk to the Mayor? In the other festivals, talking to him activates the events and ends the festival.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Did you talk to the Mayor? In the other festivals, talking to him activates the events and ends the festival.

:doh:

I was counting on the cursor changing to basically anything else when I hovered over him like everyone else in the game.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
holy moly strawberries are one hell of a cash crop

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Is it worth using the first sprinkler? You either do the super-ugly tesseract, or just do lines. Either way, I'm only getting four crops with each sprinkler. That doesn't seem worthwhile at this point of the game, compared to what it costs. Seems like my iron could be better spent elsewhere. Now, the second sprinkler, that is something I can see myself using.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Sprinkler technology runs counter to my amish farming lifestyle anyway you should just man up and hand water it like god intended

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Share yer farmers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

drunken officeparty posted:

Sprinkler technology runs counter to my amish farming lifestyle anyway you should just man up and hand water it like god intended

Should just be able to dig irrigation ditches, imo.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

How do gates work? No matter what I do they just act like posts.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
I just got this game and it's cool and good and I am excited to reach all the interesting stuff you guys are talking about in the thread!!!

Also who is everyone going to marry? Leah is clearly the optimal choice

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Revol posted:

Is it worth using the first sprinkler? You either do the super-ugly tesseract, or just do lines. Either way, I'm only getting four crops with each sprinkler. That doesn't seem worthwhile at this point of the game, compared to what it costs. Seems like my iron could be better spent elsewhere. Now, the second sprinkler, that is something I can see myself using.

It's worth doing for the Summer/Fall just because there are season-crossing crops aka Corn and you won't have the second sprinkler plans. That's why I haven't added more ugliness to my 32 square tikicrow plot; I figure that's enough to push through the Fall on top of my other activities.

Music Theory posted:

Have you tried right-clicking them so they open up?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Music Theory posted:

You build the fence and then place the gate on top.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Share yer farmers.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Share yer farmers.

I'm fabulous and totally rocking a manbun. Judge me. :gay:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Just got back from the store to get the new seeds for the first day of Summer. I think I'll try to use five sprinklers to at least alleviate the time and energy all of this will take.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
Did the path from the lake to the farm break in the summer for anyone else? I've gotten stuck there 3 times.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Okay, two issues.

1.) are the seeds from the community center awards bugged or what? I've gotten both spring and summer and couldn't get either to grow.

2.) It's summer already where is my kitty???

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zoe posted:

Okay, two issues.

1.) are the seeds from the community center awards bugged or what? I've gotten both spring and summer and couldn't get either to grow.

2.) It's summer already where is my kitty???

The Wild Seeds have an extra day as seed sprites.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Dilber posted:

how do you people have time to go into the mines and get poo poo. I have like 150 active crops up right now, and even with the bronze watering can it takes me forever to get it done and I use up most of my stamina before eating all the eggs I get to recover.

At the start of Summer, an earthquake probably happened. On top of messing with your farm, it unblocks the path to the left of the mountain hobo leading up to the Railroad, where the Spa aka Stamina-Restoring Hotspring is. I burn 2/3rds of my stamina from the morning watering, recharge via that method, and have enough time in the day to bang out 5 more floors.

Someone Awful! posted:

I'm fabulous and totally rocking a manbun. Judge me. :gay:

:chloe:

e: I see rabbits running around, but I do not yet know how to capture and raise them as my own. The game blurb promised me a farm of 300 rabbits.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

How do you move some placed objects like the furnace or chest? I accidentally placed them in bad spots

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I can't even figure out how to pull back my fishing rod when I get a hit. When the little ! pops up, that's when I pull it back, right?

Also, is there a storage chest or something from the beginning?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Shirec posted:

How do you move some placed objects like the furnace or chest? I accidentally placed them in bad spots

I'm not sure how to do it with a controller, but left click picks them up.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Shirec posted:

Use a pickaxe on them.

In a similar vein, is there a way to replace entire buildings? I realized too late that my chicken coop is probably not in the best of locations.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Archenteron posted:

At the start of Summer, an earthquake probably happened. On top of messing with your farm, it unblocks the path to the left of the mountain hobo leading up to the Railroad, where the Spa aka Stamina-Restoring Hotspring is. I burn 2/3rds of my stamina from the morning watering, recharge via that method, and have enough time in the day to bang out 5 more floors.

:chloe:

e: I see rabbits running around, but I do not yet know how to capture and raise them as my own. The game blurb promised me a farm of 300 rabbits.

I'd been doing that, but by the time I'm done watering it's almost 1. I'm going to cut back on the number of crops i have to a more manageable level i guess

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Shnooks posted:

I can't even figure out how to pull back my fishing rod when I get a hit. When the little ! pops up, that's when I pull it back, right?

Craft a storage chest with 50 wood. The crafting panel is the little hammer on the inventory/ESC menu, I missed it forever too.

And yeah, you should click/press/whatever right when the ! comes up, then you get to do the little fishing minigame where you have to keep the green bar under the fish.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I don't really understand the gifting mechanic in this game. I'll gift people things and they act like they like the gift, but no hearts fill up in the social tab. I'm nearing the end of spring and I only have one heart on a handful of people and that's from giving them something on their birthday.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Shnooks posted:

You're right about the fishing.

There isn't a storage chest from the beginning, but you only need 50 wood to craft one. Also, the general store sells a backpack for 2,000 gold that lets you carry more stuff.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Shnooks posted:

No, but you can craft a chest for 50 wood pretty early on. Might need level 1 in something, but that should happen quickly.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

SuicideSnowman posted:

I don't really understand the gifting mechanic in this game. I'll gift people things and they act like they like the gift, but no hearts fill up in the social tab. I'm nearing the end of spring and I only have one heart on a handful of people and that's from giving them something on their birthday.

It takes more than a single gift to make people like you, even if you can figure out what their favorite thing is. Also keep in mind you can only give people two things a week, so leveling up friendship is a ~process~.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How in the world do I cook any of the recipes that I've learned? All I can make are field snacks and I need fooood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Reason posted:

How in the world do I cook any of the recipes that I've learned? All I can make are field snacks and I need fooood.

Gotta get the first house expansion. :gonk: