Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Young lady in one of my classes talked about how academic writing is elitist and exclusionary. Advocating for everyone writing in their own personal vernacular because that will make it inclusive (and retarded).

I guess maybe college is full of retards after all

A girl taking her final history course and graduating with a history degree this semester gets her essay back, an essay where the professor said multiple times in class to use Aaron Burr when discussing whatever prompt you choose for this essay. This girl chose a prompt that listed a couple of Founding Fathers but not Aaron Burr. When she got back her C paper she threw a poo poo fit because she was marked off for not using Burr anywhere in the essay and her justification was that Burr wasn't mentioned in the prompt. He wasn't in any prompt! College is full of retards, and they're all passing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Grem posted:

A girl taking her final history course and graduating with a history degree this semester gets her essay back, an essay where the professor said multiple times in class to use Aaron Burr when discussing whatever prompt you choose for this essay. This girl chose a prompt that listed a couple of Founding Fathers but not Aaron Burr. When she got back her C paper she threw a poo poo fit because she was marked off for not using Burr anywhere in the essay and her justification was that Burr wasn't mentioned in the prompt. He wasn't in any prompt! College is full of retards, and they're all passing.
Didn't follow instructions, F.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My aunt has endless horror stories about graduate students that still couldn't write a loving paper to save their lives, let alone undergrads.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Grem posted:

Yeah, but she went into how the vernacular is the true expression of English so utilizing dictionary meanings is unfair. This idiot was literally advocating for the wholesale adoption of individual vernaculars to be some how graded by a single person like it was a common sense approach to educating the masses. I literally thought people like that only existed on the internet.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

holocaust bloopers posted:

MLA formatting is offensive to my zyr sensibilities.

MLA rules. gently caress your touchy-feely APA.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think MLA is retarded and incredibly unreadable garbage but it's great for taking notes in the margins so its great for grading I guess. Im an insane person who prefers to read really dense and small text though

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I used ASA for my entire academic writing career, then had to use APA for work. Felt like one of those feral kids being let outside for the first time when I could actually use all those automated bib programs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

MLA rules. gently caress your touchy-feely APA.

Chicago for lyfe.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Chicago is God's true format

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

You guys are cute with your formatting arguments.

I pretty much just have to make sure my lab reports are in the same color of crayon.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The phrase 'you guys' is offensive.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
"You people"

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

What if they self identify as a rabid wolverine? You're not being inclusive enough there, guy/girl/dragon/sentient mattress.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

What if they self identify as a rabid wolverine? You're not being inclusive enough there, guy/girl/dragon/sentient mattress.

Wow, bloops is trans-Raptor and this is the poo poo you spew??

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Just take a line from Idiocracy and call everyone 'particular individuals'. That movie hit too many nails on the drat head and it scares the poo poo out of me.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

Vasudus posted:

I used ASA for my entire academic writing career, then had to use APA for work. Felt like one of those feral kids being let outside for the first time when I could actually use all those automated bib programs.

EasyBib does APA just fine, but you have to pay for it. Easily worth the $20 a year when you are writing a lot of papers.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Crazy Dutchman posted:

EasyBib does APA just fine, but you have to pay for it. Easily worth the $20 a year when you are writing a lot of papers.

But Microsoft Word has a pretty good reference feature built in that allows you to insert citations in several styles, as well as generate a bibliography. Why pay more?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pesticide20 posted:

But Microsoft Word has a pretty good reference feature built in that allows you to insert citations in several styles, as well as generate a bibliography. Why pay more?

That poo poo hosed all my citations up for an MLA paper.

I mean I probably am the one who hosed it up but I don't trust it anymore.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Yeah, for some reason Word doesn't do MLA citations correctly. It gets you most of the way there, but then you have to disable updates and fix your bibliography , after which you can't use the citation feature because you'd have to re-enable updates and scrap all your manual corrections.

e: and since you should be updating your bibliography all the way through the writing process, this defeats the whole purpose of the software feature

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

at the date posted:

e: and since you should be updating your bibliography all the way through the writing process, this defeats the whole purpose of the software feature

Separate document, copy/paste to the rear end of your paper when you're done. What's difficult about that?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So University San Diego said they'll accept me, but the credits I have at Thomas Edison State University won't transfer over, meaning I'll be starting from the beginning despite having almost an AA from them. Only because they are online :(

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Soulex posted:

So University San Diego said they'll accept me, but the credits I have at Thomas Edison State University won't transfer over, meaning I'll be starting from the beginning despite having almost an AA from them. Only because they are online :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Option A) Remove the "almost" part from "having almost an AA"
Option B) Say gently caress it and take the hit

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

They got my unofficial transcripts so they know it's close. 2 classes away.

Probably doing option B. I'll just Clep the last two classes and hope I pass. That way I'll get an AA regardless.

Edit: that includes JST stuff by the way.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Separate document, copy/paste to the rear end of your paper when you're done. What's difficult about that?

Citations and bibliography entries are different in MLA, neither are done correctly in Word

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

"Writing"? Is that like when you put letters into Excel cells instead of numbers?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Crazy Dutchman posted:

It does APA fine, yeah, but I used ASA for my academic career. At least at the time, there were no options because lol ASA.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
what kind of luck have had people getting their VMET, ATARRS or whatever they call the military transcripts transferred into credits?

Mine lists some MOSs that I was just slotted in with no actual training, mostly commo poo poo with a lot of recommendations for computer poo poo. Considering I'm going to pursue a CS degree I think, that could be pretty helpful?

probably going to knock out my lower level courses at a community college then transfer to a state uni.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Any legit school is going to give you 6-10 elective credits and exempt you from the phys Ed requirement.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
I got around 26 accepted by my university. Mostly managerial stuff and the PT stuff, along with first year seminar freshman bullshit classes they require you to take. This is from an AF SNCO perspective though so ymmv.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
OK, I wasn't holding my breath for anything great, because I would probably laugh at someones military transcripts if it was my job.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

what kind of luck have had people getting their VMET, ATARRS or whatever they call the military transcripts transferred into credits?

Mine lists some MOSs that I was just slotted in with no actual training, mostly commo poo poo with a lot of recommendations for computer poo poo. Considering I'm going to pursue a CS degree I think, that could be pretty helpful?

probably going to knock out my lower level courses at a community college then transfer to a state uni.

Depends on the school. My college took enough that I was roughly halfway done with freshman year.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
well, regardless of the outcome of my credits, I do know that when I start school, I'm going to throw a little spice into the "wear poo poo to look like a veteran" and rock ESS goggles and maybe long sleeve army pts and pants.

The ones with the elastic cuffs on the ankles, I don't know if the new poo poo is out.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 28, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
you should be like some of the females in my rotc lite unit who have EMBRACE THE SUCK and WHAT NOW BITCHES! emblazoned on their National Guard (tm) ACU bags, especially the one that runs like a 22 minute 2 mile

e; and go to the talent show and sing back to back hymns about praising jesus :wtc:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

NTT posted:

especially the one that runs like a 22 minute 2 mile

:catstare:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Seriously, even the tubbiest wooks could beat that fighting off a3 day benders hangover

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, still waiting on finding out if they can expedite my applications process. If not I'll have to stay here till spring semester, which means picking up a dead end job part time until I leave to make bills.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Is stuff not posting on eBenefits for anyone else?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

She's so slow they make us all run behind her during bleachers for pt and it's like the slowest jog

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Hi,

I come from the Land of Learning the Hard Way to tell you all that dating undergrads is always a bad idea, no matter how hot she is and no matter how unique the situation seems. Learn the hard way if you like, but don't say you weren't told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Tell us what happened

• Locked thread