Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Cabinet posted:

That's also an issue. People are saying Leo, but his seat is apparently in trouble? There is no real anointed one or anyone who seems to want to take the position right now.

Leo is already in. I think he might be a decent alternative but i dont think fg did bad enough yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

You are going to have to blast Enda out with dynamite. No way is he going to forfeit the opportunity to be the first ever FG Taoiseach to serve two consecutive terms

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Ah, makes sense. I was getting old news then.

kustomkarkommando posted:

You are going to have to blast Enda out with dynamite. No way is he going to forfeit the opportunity to be the first ever FG Taoiseach to serve two consecutive terms

This also. He will hang on tooth and nail.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Eamon Ryan is looking like he's on the way to winning a second seat for the Greens as well

Lucinda's hosed

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 27, 2016

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Final count in Dublin West coming soon - last two have been knocked out. 5,000 votes for the Green Party and local independent David McGuinness being redistributed - there's only 600 votes between Joan and Paul Donnelly of SF

Come on.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

:siren: Enda has ended the coalition :siren:

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/703692455506391040

FG minority or FF/FG coalition it is

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I bet Enda is raging about the result.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I guess that comment could be taken that a government of ONLY FG/Labour is not going to be returned on second thoughts, but it seems weird to phrase it as he does - might be over-reading it I guess

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Possibly? Who else would go in apart from a rainbow of independents? One could argue that would be even less stable than a FG/FF government. It would also mean that we would be guaranteed a FF/Other government within the next year.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Ah bollocks Joan is safe

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Burn it down. Start again.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Ah bollocks Joan is safe

Unless labour go into government, which is bloody unlikely, there is going to be an auto leadership challenge.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cabinet posted:

Possibly? Who else would go in apart from a rainbow of independents? One could argue that would be even less stable than a FG/FF government. It would also mean that we would be guaranteed a FF/Other government within the next year.

Well I think his comments are a clear sign that he's not going to chase a supply deal to prop up the coalition as it exists so he's probably going to start poking around to form some new alliance - maybe cozy up to the IA and have a bit of chat with FF while keeping Labour as a member of a wider coalition (if they are interested). FG/FF is looking increasingly more likely in some form now - we only have 2 constituencies left to report first counts and it's looking like there is less than 1% between them.

Apparently Leo has been saying stuff today about letting the opposition have a crack at forming the government which seems like an interesting ploy - let them try to batter together a rainbow coalition, let that gently caress up and then sweep in as the party of stability in a second election acting like a slightly miffed dad who told you all this was going to happen

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I mean surely that would only work if FF get more or equal seats to FG? It'll be a very tough sell otherwise.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Ah bollocks Joan is safe

That's disappointing. Was hoping sf would have picked up her seat. Can't believe people voted for her after her shrill appearances during the debates.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Marenghi posted:

That's disappointing. Was hoping sf would have picked up her seat. Can't believe people voted for her after her shrill appearances during the debates.

There was only a 400 odd vote difference (1%) between them but SF just did not pick up enough transfers to close the gap and Joan managed to scoop up enough to beat them by a good margin.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

So did this turn out okay?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Yeah SF are extremely poor when it comes to picking up transfers. The SDs are quite transfer friendly though. Even though the SD candidate in Limerick City was eliminated she got a nice number of transfers, as well as making a very good initial showing for a first time candidate who wasn't a councillor previously.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

R. Mute posted:

So did this turn out okay?

Its an election a Belgian would approve of - no clear winner and a long government formation process

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Christie Burke eliminated in Dublin Central, last seat is a battle between the SocDems last hope for a new seat Gary Gannon and current independent TD Maureen O'Sullivan - Gannon has an 8 vote lead so its all down to the transfers

Ged Nash of Labour saying Labour will not form part of the next government and Sean Sherlock also saying that he thinks its massively unlikely - both of them are in tight fights to hold their seats but are considered senior enough in the party

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Michael Healy-Rae makes it over 1 1/2 quotas, he's got enough surplus to put his brother over easily

The Healy-Rae's are going to get more seats than Renua

One more time to let the despair sink in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63XaJdZF9cU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
gently caress Gary Gannon lost by 321 votes... :smith:

Overall though, it was an extraordinary performance by some SD candidates, some who were first timers without much ground game to speak of (Gary Gannon did have a good ground game, being a councilor, but the Tony Gregory lineage really helped O'Sullivan). Let's hope they do well in the local elections. Sarah Jane Hennelly is the stand out imo as she got a huge amount of first preferences for a first-timer.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 28, 2016

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Shame about Gannon but some good news, Lucinda just got eliminated before the count was adjourned for the morning :toot:

Rest in piss Renua

Shes probably going to go for a recount but I don't care

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

All 1st preference counts reported now and a lot of counts announcing adjournment until 10am tomorrow to finish up. This is what the final vote share looks like:

With a further caveat that the Independent Alliance took 4.2% of that Independent vote.

Beside the obvious stinging losses for FG (above what was expected) and Labour (a vote share slightly above their previous '87 washout) and the surprising gains for FF, SF must be slightly frustrated - only managed to pick up about 4% of the collapsed Labour vote (they lost over 12%) which is about the same as AAA-PBP. Donegal, which they thought would get them three seats and is considered their "heartland", actually saw a v. small reduction in vote share and they may only be on track for one seat as FF regains a lot of lost ground.

Though I'm sure they will be talking up their victory a lot it's a poor showing for a party polling around 20% at the end of last year

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Offaly is still counting. Barry Cowen got a seat, Cocoran-Kennedy(FG) looks set for second place and FF/SF battling for third seat. Renua got knocked out which one would think would transfer to FG but apparently SF is doing well off it.

Probably transfers from people gave it as a protest vote, or people not clued in to their policies. I did find out some lads I used to know voted Renua because their candidates job title was game developer and they thought it better than giving FF or FG a preference.

*Count just came in. FG picked up enough transfers to get a seat and looks like SF got more than FF. Counting still to be done but looks like FF, FG and SF will take the 3 seats.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 28, 2016

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Marenghi posted:

I did find out some lads I used to know voted Renua because their candidates job title was game developer and they thought it better than giving FF or FG a preference.

For fucks sake

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also turnout is being reported at 65.2% - the 4th worst turnout for a GE ever (with the two lowest being '22 and '23 when people where a little, uh, preoccupied)

Considering this election was specifically moved to a Friday as well to try to boost turnout that is poor

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I really do not understand why turnout was so low. 65% is American levels of turnout.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I didn't know but apparently Danny Healy Rae even got his own signature song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDaLMNq9PW4

"No pot hole can't be filled"

Maybe Kerry deserves to be underwater

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
That's disappointing turnout.

Would have thought being on a Friday and with the marriage referendum that would be more engaged young voters. Thought it be at least on par with the last election.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Donegal pushing for a conclusion tonight in what may turn out to be a squeaker for SF to hold their two seats from the previous constituencies that merged to form the new five seater.

Dublin South-West, another five seater, is still going on as well - Paul Murphy of AAA-PBP holds his seat and SF are just 150 votes short of doing the same with Labour (who held 2 seats) being wiped out and FF picking up one seat and FG possibly poised to grab the other two

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Four seats for AAA/PBP!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cabinet posted:

Four seats for AAA/PBP!

Brid Smith well placed to take another one as well in Dublin South-Central

edit: Confused Brid Smtih for someone else there! My bad!

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 28, 2016

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Please ignore me I've been drinking

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I was planning to myself but I have work tomorrow. Was burned by the counting taking place today rather than overnight Friday.

I was spoiled by the quickness of Canada and the UK.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Sinn Fein make a historic win in Offaly taking their first seat there since 1922. Was tense as they almost gave Fianna Fail 2 seats.
Considering Sinn Fein's low numbers prior to 2011 since their return to politics in the South, I wonder how many wins of theirs will be similarly historic. I know the Limerick win was also a first in over 90 years.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

There's a fair argument to make that claiming wins by the Sinn Fein of the 20s for the contemporary party is tenuous tbh considering the various splits etc.

Still good victories for them though

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Sinn Fein aren't doing as well as polls suggested which is disappointing, but they're outperforming 2011 which is a plus. Ideally we'd have a bigger left wing party but I'll take what I can get.

At the very least these results mean I might be able to vote still this year.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Talk of a recount now in Donegal as sitting SF TD Padriagh Mac Lochlainn returns to the count centre. The third SF candidate has been eliminated and his transfers should put Pearse Doherty over the quota but Mac Lochlainn might not pick up enough to guarantee a place

It's a contest between him and independent left-wing TD Thomas Pringle for the last seat, there are two other independents still to be eliminated who may transfer well to Pringle giving him the edge

edit: There's only seven votes between the eliminated SF candidate and the lowest independent so it looks like they are hoping to keep him in the running for a bit longer and pick up the few votes Doherty needs from possible transfers from the other fellow, letting the third SF candidates preferences transfer to Mac Lochlainn in full and edge out Pringle. Some serious STV fiddling going on here.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Ooh I actually read up on Pringle a few weeks ago. Mostly due to the name. He seems pretty good.

• Locked thread