Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

Your loss, not like that poo poo's hurting for ratings.

I'd rank Loras in the top 5 fighters on the show, and one of the few genuinely good people around. So if your rabid hatred of the show stems from Loras, *shrug*

Nope. I wea just saying that in the books, Loras wasn't Gay McGaymersen of the Gaytown McGaymersons. He was just a badass that was very pretty and a serious heartbreaker as no one ever really saw him with a woman was all. Anything beyond that is the fault of the showrunners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Joe Gillian posted:

You mean Shang-Chi?

I was actually hoping they'd run with Shang-Chi instead of Iron Fist. He doesn't know magic dragon heart fueled kung-fu, he's got no enhanced anything he's just good enough to beat up superhumans and the supernatural consistently. No gimmicks, no tricks, just jump kicks.

Ghosts? Kick em'
Demons? Kick em'
Robots? Kick em'
Aliens? Kick em'
MutantsInhumans? Kick em'

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I hope that by time Iron Fist gets into production the have the budget to show Iron Fist punching through a helicopter and not have it look like rear end. Or at least an SUV or something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How are the rights for Fu Manchu nowadays? Cause if you bring in Shang Chi, MASTER OF KUNG FU, you gotta bring his father too for an awesome showdown.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

How are the rights for Fu Manchu nowadays? Cause if you bring in Shang Chi, MASTER OF KUNG FU, you gotta bring his father too for an awesome showdown.

I'll accept no substitutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2obTjTfVpk

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Marvel is putting out a Shang Chi omnibus in a few months so they might have gotten some of those rights cleared up.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I'm not saying GoT is great, I'm saying Daredevil is only okay.

How does it feel being wrong all the drat time?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

With you saying it, pretty good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Do Crockett and Tubbs from Miami Vice count as superheroes, at least street level superheroes like Daredevil? I'd put Miami Vice right up there for the record. Hey it even had a comic book recently.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Heavy Metal posted:

Do Crockett and Tubbs from Miami Vice count as superheroes, at least street level superheroes like Daredevil? I'd put Miami Vice right up there for the record. Hey it even had a comic book recently.

???

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That looks like 1.50 well spent! Why haven't I read this?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Heavy Metal posted:

Why haven't I read this?

Because you didn't collect lovely independent comics in the 80s you have good taste.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

Fu Manchu, Denis Nayalnd-Smith and Dr. Petrie first were used in 1913. They're in the Public Domain as are all the books until Hand of Fu Manchu.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
So, rewatching Daredevil season 1 in the run up to the new stuff. Who's with me?

Hadn't rewatched it yet, so this for me is that critical "does it hold up on second viewing?" test. Think I enjoyed the first episode more this time. Quite a lot of little hooks and links for stuff later in the season for returning viewers to pick up on. And that fight choreography is still kick rear end.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Actual spoilers for season 2, provided they don't cut any of these scenes:

Matt and Foggy will walk in front of a Rite Aid, though the shot will probably not show the sign for licensing reasons.
There will be a scene in a Chinese restaurant that was filmed in a synagogue basement, so technically it's a kosher Chinese restaurant.
Matt and Karen will both take a walk where they're very wet and pass by a kosher frozen yogurt shop, making me think maybe the locations manager is kosher.
There will be a scene where some bank robbers run up Broadway and pass my favorite bagel shop (which is not kosher) on 101st.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

dj_clawson posted:

Actual spoilers for season 2, provided they don't cut any of these scenes:

Matt and Foggy will walk in front of a Rite Aid, though the shot will probably not show the sign for licensing reasons.
There will be a scene in a Chinese restaurant that was filmed in a synagogue basement, so technically it's a kosher Chinese restaurant.
Matt and Karen will both take a walk where they're very wet and pass by a kosher frozen yogurt shop, making me think maybe the locations manager is kosher.
There will be a scene where some bank robbers run up Broadway and pass my favorite bagel shop (which is not kosher) on 101st.

Wow, this sounds like a powerhouse season. Really hope that first spoiler stays in.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I, for one, am happy that Elektra and the Hand aren't all in Santa suits. Costume owns

Not sure how I feel about the purported background of Iron Fist. He's only missing from New York for three years? So, instead of being raised as a ward of K'un-L'un, he wandered off to Asia as an aimless angry young rich white guy, and fell face-first into mastery of the martial arts? I mean, I can see WHY they're doing it, because of the difficulty of filling out a cast for a character who would have had little or no attachments to New York having grown up in kung fu Hogwarts...

...but it sounds a lot like Batman Begins.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are Daredevil's red eye lenses new? I didn't remember them being so red before. Of course, he's only in the suit for like 15 minutes prior to season two. Still holding out hope for some modifications made to the suit to make it look nicer.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The suit is supposed to get upgrades so the lenses were probably made more prominent. They're there in the last episode of season 1 but you can't really see them.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I just randomly caught an x files episode that deals with a sociopath mind controller ala JJ. Season 3, episode 17 "Pusher" from 1996...written by breaking bad's Vince Gilligan no less.

It's kind of fun to see how mulder and scully deal with it, and it's on netflix in HD.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

HIJK posted:

The suit is supposed to get upgrades so the lenses were probably made more prominent. They're there in the last episode of season 1 but you can't really see them.

They weren't in season 1 because the stunt double needed to be able to see, as they put it. The new ones do have red goggles built in, but they're probably either CGI or only tinted one-way.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Daredevil doesn't shop at CVS???? this season will be trash

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Daredevil doesn't shop at CVS???? this season will be trash

Matt's super into Apple Pay.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've finally started watching Daredevil season 1, and been enjoying it a lot. Particular thoughts:

* Good Lord some of the violence is brutal. The guy impaling himself in episode 3 stands out in particular. Was not expecting anything that violent from Marvel.

* Charlie Cox does a wonderful job as Murdock and is making me reconsider my stated sexual orientation.

* Foggy's a wonderful dork, and I kind of wish the show would give him a little more respect. He mostly seems to be the butt of everyone's jokes.

* Vincent D'unpronounceable presents an interesting take on Kingpin, but I'm not sold on him yet. I'm having some trouble with the idea of a guy this goony and socially awkward rising so high in organized crime, even given his intelligence and brutality.

Edit: Jesus Christ. Episode 8, kid Kingpin and the hammer. Had to switch to another tab for a few minutes.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 5, 2016

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
You can't pronounce D'Onofrio?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I liked D'Onofrio's take on the Kingpin. His awkwardness sets you up for a larger emotional impact when he rages out and crushes a dude's skull. I also liked how much screen time they gave him.

It's a pretty big contrast to the MCU movie villains, who are inherently evil because there isn't enough time to flesh out their real motivations. Daredevil's Kingpin actually has real motivation and doesn't start off purely evil. His grand scheme is to use his organized crime connections to fund reconstruction projects in his old neighborhood to gentrify it. Ooooooooo! If allowed to, he probably wouldn't have killed anyone. He gets progressively more villainous as people stand in his way and as he is thwarted by Daredevil. Compare that to other MCU villains who want to destroy the world/universe because ______.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

They took a huge gamble with Fisk, particularly given how D'onofrio plays him so close to an overgrown baby.

And yet I think it totally works. There's a missed beat or two in the finale that I think was a mistake, but otherwise his development is pretty much perfectly plotted.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm up to episode 12 now, and I've been warming to Fisk. I think he's a good villain, I'm just not convinced he's a good Kingpin. Vanessa is a good complement and character vehicle for him, even if she seems like a cardboard cut-out on her own.

Madam Gao, I think, is the most intimidating villain on the show. She never raises her voice, is unfailingly polite and pleasant, and clearly knows far more than she lets on. I think Gao is scarier with a smile than Nogu was in full ninja regalia.

I was surprised I felt so sad over Wesley's death, too. He seemed like a basically decent guy, only involved in everything out of loyalty to his friend - perhaps his only genuine friend.

Edit: Whoops, spoke too soon about Gao's perpetual calm. Still, I think she's the most intimidating of the villains on the show.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 5, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm up to episode 12 now, and I've been warming to Fisk. I think he's a good villain, I'm just not convinced he's a good Kingpin. Vanessa is a good complement and character vehicle for him, even if she seems like a cardboard cut-out on her own.

I actually thought Vanessa is one of the most compelling characters on the show. I didn't find anything that was "cardboard cut-out" about her.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I was surprised I felt so sad over Wesley's death, too. He seemed like a basically decent guy, only involved in everything out of loyalty to his friend - perhaps his only genuine friend.
Basically decent guys don't arrange for murders to happen, or intimidate witnesses. No, not even for very good friends.

He was basically a decent guy the way Tony Soprano is basically a decent guy, i.e. only if you ignore the fact that he's a loving psychopath.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I wouldn't say he was a decent guy, but I think he was a very genuine friend to Wilson Fisk.

He literally died because he was preoccupied with worry about his friend.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finished the series. I thought Cox did an excellent job, D'Whatever was a fine villain but I'm still not sold on him as the Kingpin, and I feel Kingpin was the least interesting and intimidating villain in the syndicate once the Russians were gone. The guy's a manchild, and I got the impression he wouldn't be half as dangerous if he didn't have Wesley and Vanessa.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

He doesn't really become the Kingpin until the end of the series. It's as much his origin as Daredevil's.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Finished the series. I thought Cox did an excellent job, D'Whatever was a fine villain but I'm still not sold on him as the Kingpin, and I feel Kingpin was the least interesting and intimidating villain in the syndicate once the Russians were gone. The guy's a manchild, and I got the impression he wouldn't be half as dangerous if he didn't have Wesley and Vanessa.

It'll be interesting to see if he comes back and what they do with him then. Maybe he will finally become DAH KINGPIN while in prison.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I'm assuming that we'll visit Fisk a few times this season and we'll be getting full on Kingpin in either the Defenders series or, more likely, a Daredevil season three.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Cythereal posted:

D'Whatever

drat it's even funnier the second time

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
It's D'Onofrio. He's a well known actor, you may have heard of him before.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

It's D'Onofrio. He's a well known actor, you may have heard of him before.

I had never heard of him before Daredevil.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But he was in Full Metal Jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Full Metal Jacket, Jurassic World, Men in Black, The Cell.

It's funny, I've had about three different girls tell me that they don't watch criminal intent because "I don't like that guy".

Edit: Homicide: Life on the Streets.