Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the SC primary?
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Martin O'Malley
Willie Wilson
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Joementum posted:

It's important to note that the "Southern Strategy" died in 2000 and anyone who cites it as anything except a historical artifact now is a fool.

She used it a lot in '08.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

Not all woman are the same Bad Caller

no poo poo? I wanted the first woman president to be a progressive if possible. Third way democrat policies are getting distinctly closer and closer to 80s tory policies

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I mean, as an official thing it's dead, but let's not act like Republicans stopped race baiting.

But now that's about turning out the base, not getting crossover votes, which was the point of the strategy.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Supposedly Sanders' campaign plane had a hard landing in MN (literally).

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

It's important to note that the "Southern Strategy" died in 2000 and anyone who cites it as anything except a historical artifact now is a fool.

air conditioning killed the southern strategy

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bad Caller posted:

no poo poo? I wanted the first woman president to be a progressive if possible. Third way democrat policies are getting distinctly closer and closer to 80s tory policies

Democratic policies are evidence-based. Sorry that evidence don't agree with your ideology.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

theblackw0lf posted:

Watching Hillary's speech makes me believe that this primary has improved her political skills enormously.

If she wins, this primary has made her a much better candidate, in abilities and message.

I agree

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Joementum posted:

But now that's about turning out the base, not getting crossover votes, which was the point of the strategy.

i guess what i'm hearing you say is that when the crossover votes became the base the strategy died, but if you want to keep those people as your base don't you have to keep doing the same stuff? in other words maybe the way it got written up in the 60s was talking about crossover votes but continuing the same policies and messaging once the votes have crossed over doesn't mean the strategy's over, does it? or how is it not so

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Caller posted:

How is your take away from Hillaries shift to the left that she is like Thatcher?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

axeil posted:

We need an r/s4p thread because this poo poo is amazing.

quote:

Much of Bernie's civil rights history only emerged within the past two weeks. Until then, his participation was virtually unknown. When you have old school black legislators throwing themselves into the Clinton gravy bowl, its difficult to overcome. As Bernie moves ahead, his history in the movement will be better known. Besides, we all know South Carolina is going to go to the Republicans during the general. Bernie's not going to sweat this. He has bigger fish to fry. DONATE!

:wow:

Tuesday is going to be amazing

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Democratic policies are evidence-based. Sorry that evidence don't agree with your ideology.

If by evidence you mean bought by corporations then yes

At least state politics are far less bought and a constitutional amendment could still happen via convention if enough people start to care, which is probably what I'm going to start fueling my money to on the political side goes since a top down approach doesn't work.

Obama didn't kill my youthful left ideals and neither will Clinton or anyone the republicans elect, falling to cynicism when I see people in my local community addicted to meth in high numbers with no future opportunities, and crumbling infrastructure and clearly showing that this 'evidence' isn't helping my fellow man.

C-SPAN Caller has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Feb 28, 2016

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Joementum posted:

True, the racists have pretty much finished crossing over by now.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

smg77 posted:

:wow:

Tuesday is going to be amazing
*licks lips in anticipation*

oh god yes

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

An Elizabeth Warren endorsement sure would be nice right about now.

quote:

I'm slowly losing a lot of respect for her because of this slow to endorse attitude.

quote:

The cult of the ovaries and threats from other "womyn" and establishment apparatchiks are keeping her silent. Many females are obsessed with the notion of the first female president, but not excited for a first jewish president. I'll leave it to you to find their motives.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I love this so much the Bernie fans on Reddit are in full meltdown. Sifting through Hillary emails saying how evil she is.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bernies about to win if my calculations are correct

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

oystertoadfish posted:

i guess what i'm hearing you say is that when the crossover votes became the base the strategy died, but if you want to keep those people as your base don't you have to keep doing the same stuff? in other words maybe the way it got written up in the 60s was talking about crossover votes but continuing the same policies and messaging once the votes have crossed over doesn't mean the strategy's over, does it? or how is it not so

Party sorting happened, ending around the 2000 campaign, which is when we entered into the red-state blue-state map that's been basically static ever since. The Southern Strategy was about getting above 50% by appealing to the base of the other party, but that's no longer operative because we're in a 50/50 split with base sentiments locked in.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Orkin Mang posted:

bernies about to win if my calculations are correct

You forgot to multiply by the -1

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Proooobably gonna be hungover at work on the morning of Pragmatic Incrementalism Wednesday.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
First Clinton campaign clip from her speech is smart. Campaigns are won by broadcasting a positive message, which she's doing. Trump's doing that too, just in his own, special way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD1QaeeZ-gw

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Minsky posted:

Proooobably gonna be hungover at work on the morning of Pragmatic Incrementalism Wednesday.

:lol: if you didn't already take Wednesday off

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Microwaves Mom posted:

I love this so much the Bernie fans on Reddit are in full meltdown. Sifting through Hillary emails saying how evil she is.

Tuesday will be glorious. I'm going to miss most of it since I'll be driving to Colorado :(

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Joementum posted:

First Clinton campaign clip from her speech is smart. Campaigns are won by broadcasting a positive message, which she's doing. Trump's doing that too, just in his own, special way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD1QaeeZ-gw

Yeah but I dont buy anything she says. Im an intelligent man and i buy trump. LOl okay I really don't but I love when he says it. I don't think he has malice behind what he says with hillary I do. There's always something shes plotting. Trump is straight forward anything he plots he says.

He's the guy that says, "I'm going to kill you last." Then keeps that promise.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Iron Bitch has set fire to the state of South Carolina, routing the Sandernistas west and taking the head of Killer Mike as a prize. Bloodied by the defeat, Ivan "Bernie" Sanders retreats to the frozen realm of Minnesota to rally his remaining troops...

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
sunk cost fallacy going full anchor right now across the Bernie-webs.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Bernie reddit was talking about how South Carolina was a wash for days, guess the fact it's nearly 50% loss instead of 20 something is what caused it

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bernie is apparently advertising in Texas.

https://twitter.com/jbview/status/703761242234691584

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Omi-Polari posted:

The Iron Bitch has set fire to the state of South Carolina, routing the Sandernistas west and taking the head of Killer Mike as a prize. Bloodied by the defeat, Ivan "Bernie" Sanders retreats to the frozen realm of Minnesota to rally his remaining troops...

BERN IN THE NORTH!

I think if Hillary had divorced Bill after the scandal came out I would have lots of respect for her. But the fact shes with him is clear its political reasons only and that really makes me disgusted at her that much more.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Last I saw it was leaking from OK advertising.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
s4p is clinging pretty hard to their emails and electability right now :3:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Mitt Romney posted:

Wichita Falls is hundreds of miles from San Antonio, FYI.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mitt Romney posted:

In San Antonio?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

GrimGypsy posted:

I don't get it; I wanted Bernie and don't even like Hillary that much, but why are people pretending she's somehow a bad candidate? She's a loving hilariously powerful candidate. It's a real credit to Sanders that he made the impact against her that he did, even if she was clearly holding back so far.

Are you familiar with the concept of an echo chamber?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Lol black people loving hate Sanders

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Microwaves Mom posted:

BERN IN THE NORTH!

I think if Hillary had divorced Bill after the scandal came out I would have lots of respect for her. But the fact shes with him is clear its political reasons only and that really makes me disgusted at her that much more.

If she divorced him now, who would she marry?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Amused to Death posted:

Lol black people loving hate Sanders

Bernie Sanders does not understand perceptions of race in America.

You want someone who understands perceptions of race, you vote for me.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

My Imaginary GF posted:

If she divorced him now, who would she marry?

Honestly her and DOnald Trump as a power couple. Imagine the babies they could have made.

Serious talk, I'd be fine with a divorcee with no marriage as president.
Even a female one.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

A Neurotic Jew posted:

sunk cost fallacy going full anchor right now across the Bernie-webs.

You know millenials are serious when they are canceling their Tidal accounts to send even more of their allowance money to Bernie.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

smg77 posted:

You know millenials are serious when they are canceling their Tidal accounts to send even more of their allowance money to Bernie.

I wish there was a way to reroute all that money to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Microwaves Mom posted:

It's weird to just assert they're together because of political reasons.

• Locked thread