Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Thanks man, my fiance and I have been making that sad huuunnnnggghhh noise at each other all morning. It's really brought us together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I am doing a thing

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

This is amazing.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

opengl128 posted:

I am doing a thing

RCR?! Awesome. What car?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cakefool posted:

Trying to sort out camping gear for the forthcoming family holidays and our little 4'x2'6" trailer isn't going to cut it. Buying a bigger trailer is throwing money away, they're either expensive or garbage or both. Why can't we get something like the harbour freight trailer kit here in the UK?

Currently I'm thinking build a bigger body on the current chassis. Or learn to weld.

Sounds like somebody's hankering after a roof - rack.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Cakefool posted:

Trying to sort out camping gear for the forthcoming family holidays and our little 4'x2'6" trailer isn't going to cut it. Buying a bigger trailer is throwing money away, they're either expensive or garbage or both. Why can't we get something like the harbour freight trailer kit here in the UK?

Currently I'm thinking build a bigger body on the current chassis. Or learn to weld.

Sounds like the cheapest solution is kill you're famil trim the roster a little. Does everyone in the family really deserve a camping vacation?

Character Name
Jun 4, 2008

literally a fish posted:

87AKI is the best you can get? My turbos weep, WEEP I SAY!

Being full of corn, can you at least get E85 there?

91 is available, though it's not cheap, probably 60 cents a gallon more than the 10% ethanol 87 octane. E85 is all over.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Splizwarf posted:

Sounds like the cheapest solution is kill you're famil trim the roster a little. Does everyone in the family really deserve a camping vacation?

I love AI :allears:

If it was just me I'm sure I'd have built a teardrop camper whose main storage was for bottles of spirit and cold beer.

I wonder if I can snag a pallet collar the right size and just make the trailer taller.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I can't stand when people treat their dogs like human babies. Your loving mutt doesn't need a scheduled nap time holy poo poo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If anyone is on the fence about subscribing to Motor Trend on Demand, the latest episode of Roadkill Garage is worth the price of admission by itself.

"Electric fuel pump beer bong".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

opengl128 posted:

I am doing a thing

Oh HELL YEAH

What's Mr Regular like in real life?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I can't stand when people treat their dogs like human babies. Your loving mutt doesn't need a scheduled nap time holy poo poo.

Jealous bro? :laffo:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh HELL YEAH

It's just dong jokes allll the way down. :flaccid:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

id like to have my MSP on RCR but i doubt hed come south again for quite a while

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Goober Peas posted:

Jealous bro? :laffo:

What?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

If anyone is on the fence about subscribing to Motor Trend on Demand, the latest episode of Roadkill Garage is worth the price of admission by itself.

"Electric fuel pump beer bong".

Seconded, this was all kinds of awesome.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

RCR?! Awesome. What car?

Took my C5 up to meet him. Was riding in another guy's Maxima (5 speed!) for that shot.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh HELL YEAH

He and the Roman are chill and normal dudes. He's obviously not in character or anything for the shoot. They were both really cool and friendly.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Took my C5 up to meet him. Was riding in another guy's Maxima (5 speed!) for that shot.

He and the Roman are chill and normal dudes. He's obviously not in character or anything for the shoot. They were both really cool and friendly.

Can those of us who aren't cool get a nutshell explanation of what's going on here?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

Can those of us who aren't cool get a nutshell explanation of what's going on here?

opengl128 met the guy who does Regular Car Reviews for YouTube, and presumably had his C5 Corvette reviewed.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

Splizwarf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klLSZooiirk&t=131s

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks, didn't know what 'RCR' was in this context.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I was out for a run with the missus and a police chase went by. That was... interesting. One raggedy early 90's accord followed by like 5 tahoes and a few CVs and like 3 tow trucks. The whole thing went by about a block away from my house. It all smells like hot brakes.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Harry Mann Chevrolet

:mmmhmm:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm finally having some peace and quiet, and I just remembered my roommate mentioned a trip to Tallahassee so that must be why. Guess it takes a 300 mile road trip for them to not be disturbing me (he and his friends kept me up til nearly 4am Thursday night/Friday morning despite multiple, increasingly agitated requests from me to be quiet, I ended up sleeping through my class)

I don't even feel relaxed despite having the day to myself, just.... drained.

At least my sample ballot came so I know they got my address updated in time for primaries, so that's one load off my mind.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

opengl128 posted:

I've emailed back and forth with him a few times about the various M-cars and the 928. Nothing has come of it so far but if he comes south it should be pretty good.

Put the truck to the test this morning. A 37 year old Ford Courier is fully capable of hauling a 150lb trials bike, I'm sure you were all worried.

Everything I've been able to find online says my old VW pickup had the same 24" bed height as the courier but it sure seemed lower. I'm tossing 2" blocks in the rear and chopping the front springs for an initial 2" then maybe looking at tires without stupid fat sidewall (195/95/14) to get it a little lower. I don't want to slam the thing but it's going to be used almost exclusively for hauling bikes locally.

edit:

Those are 15" on the E30, makes it look more like 18" bed height on the caddy...

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 28, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I weep for past me, who held incorrect notions about oil changing. Now I have used Motive Power Extractor, and all had been made clear to me.

I helped a buddy change the oil on his shitbox Toyota, and it was so nice not having to crawl around under the car draining the oil. Getting the filter was a little bit of a bitch, but I made him do it. The oil sucker is so much less messy than a drain pan, it's amazing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Safety Dance posted:

I weep for past me, who held incorrect notions about oil changing. Now I have used Motive Power Extractor, and all had been made clear to me.

I helped a buddy change the oil on his shitbox Toyota, and it was so nice not having to crawl around under the car draining the oil. Getting the filter was a little bit of a bitch, but I made him do it. The oil sucker is so much less messy than a drain pan, it's amazing.

It's a neat tool, but I don't make a mess with the drain pan, it's the dumb filter that always makes a mess, and I have to put the car up in the air and take off the underbody stuff to get to the filter, so dumping the oil out the pan isn't any more work anyway.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, I have the same problem. Motive extractor seems like a good idea until you realize it's probably not draining as much oil as you'd get out the drain plug (since dipstick tube might not go the whole way to the bottom of the pan), it doesn't work on a bunch of cars due to wiggly dipstick paths, and you still gotta deal with the mess the filter makes, so you have to break out the drain pan anyway.

So instead of dropping $$$ on the power extractor I put one of these dope oil drain valves on the Subaru after its last oil change

Don't even have to jack the car up to change oil anymore, no more crush washers or overtorqued drain plugs... and you can drain it when the engine's still pretty hot & thus get more oil out

Pretty rad, really. They even have OE approval from most Japanese automakers, whatever that means (i think means you can use it without voiding warranty?)

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 28, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Yup, still can't stand that voice.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
he has built around himself a scatalogical prison and cannot escape

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

literally a fish posted:

Yeah, I have the same problem. Motive extractor seems like a good idea until you realize it's probably not draining as much oil as you'd get out the drain plug (since dipstick tube might not go the whole way to the bottom of the pan), it doesn't work on a bunch of cars due to wiggly dipstick paths, and you still gotta deal with the mess the filter makes, so you have to break out the drain pan anyway.

So instead of dropping $$$ on the power extractor I put one of these dope oil drain valves on the Subaru after its last oil change

Don't even have to jack the car up to change oil anymore, no more crush washers or overtorqued drain plugs... and you can drain it when the engine's still pretty hot & thus get more oil out

Pretty rad, really. They even have OE approval from most Japanese automakers, whatever that means (i think means you can use it without voiding warranty?)

I installed one of those last oil change! I'm looking forward to a 3 minute oil change.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I just used mine for the first time today. It was pretty okay, it definitely made the draining part of the job easier.

Didn't really make dealing with the oil filter any more pleasant.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Nothing really does, though :smith:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

For real though, I got a bum leg and if I can avoid crawling around on the ground a little bit, that's a bonus for me.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
That's fair. Still, if you have to get under the car to do the filter anyway, I personally struggle to see the point :shrug: i'm probably biased by how absurdly expensive they are here.

MCM put out a new video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BndBJWCezBo

Now the people who've been bitching about them doing a bunch of expensive stuff out of the reach of normal people have something to satisfy them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Jesus Christ that thing is..... just....... what a heap of utter poo poo! Talk about fully sik bro to say the least.

I know what SA is like for racism and I agree but gently caress me that's just a rolling racist stereotype. I've honestly been struggling to come up with something passable to describe it and failing big time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 28, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I guess the RCR guy saw all the Harry Plinkett videos and decided that's who he'd rip off for his Youtube persona?

Can he just review the car without the stupid side-thing he does? Him and TTAC are so annoying with their journalistic masturbation and trying to sound like the smartest guy in the room.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 28, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

I guess the RCR guy saw all the Harry Plinkett videos and decided that's who he'd rip off for his Youtube persona?

Can he just review the car without the stupid side-thing he does? Him and TTAC are so annoying with their journalistic masturbation and trying to sound like the smartest guy in the room.

The thing is sometimes RCR is funny, but he overdoes it, like the guy in class who desperately wants to be THE class clown but isn't actually funny.

That and while the philosophy rants he goes off on sometimes are interesting, it can distract from the overall actual review.

Who is TTAC?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Jesus Christ that thing is..... just....... what a heap of utter poo poo! Talk about fully sik bro to say the least.

I know what SA is like for racism and I agree but gently caress me that's just a rolling racist stereotype. I've honestly been struggling to come up with something passable to describe it and failing big time.

Are you talking about the MCM riced-out Mitsubishi? I just skipped through that episode and see a car solidly dipped in 2004 FF design failures, but cannot find a single thing that is "racist." How is a badly accessorized car "racist"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

CommieGIR posted:

The thing is sometimes RCR is funny, but he overdoes it, like the guy in class who desperately wants to be THE class clown but isn't actually funny.

That and while the philosophy rants he goes off on sometimes are interesting, it can distract from the overall actual review.

Who is TTAC?

The truth about cars.

meatpimp posted:

Are you talking about the MCM riced-out Mitsubishi? I just skipped through that episode and see a car solidly dipped in 2004 FF design failures, but cannot find a single thing that is "racist." How is a badly accessorized car "racist"?

Well, you see, when you're projecting.... :v:

Dear god, I cannot wait for when my kids figure out their sleep issues. I'm so drat tired of all of this. Love them to death, but I would like more than a couple hours in my bed next to my wife.

• Locked thread