Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Looking for one last person on my Meet Everyone checklist, where's the blue-haired chick in a red dress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I foraged enough salmonberries or whatever in the spring to keep plying the art girl with gifts she seems to love for an entire year. And I still have enough to use in the mines for energy boosts.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

StrangeAeon posted:

Looking for one last person on my Meet Everyone checklist, where's the blue-haired chick in a red dress?

She works the bar most nights.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Emalde posted:

She works the bar most nights.

I see her all the time but I can't talk to her, I assumed she was one of the other villagers who I'd already talked to that day. Even the cruster and the camera girl have a prompt telling you they're too busy.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Regarding likes/dislikes, these are defined in Content\Data\NPCGiftTastes.xnb. They are denoted by ID # corresponding to the item in Content\Data\ObjectInformation.xnb. Some ID # are negative numbers corresponding to item categories in ObjectInformation.xnb. For example,

code:
"Abigail": " I seriously love this! You're the best, @!/66 128 220 226 276 611/Hey, how'd you know I was hungry? This looks delicious!//What am I supposed to do with this?/-5 -75 -79 16 245 246/What were you thinking? This is awful!/330/You brought me a present? Thanks.// ",
The first line is what Abigail says after you give her something she loves. The numbers afterward correspond to the Object IDs. 66 is Amethyst, 128 is Pufferfish, 220 is Chocolate Cake, 226 is Spicy Eel, and 611 is Blackberry cobbler.

The second line is what Abigail says after you give her something she likes. Note the numbers afterward include -5, -75, and -79. Those are object categories defined in the ObjectInformation.xnb file. See an example object below.

code:
"174": "Large Egg/50/15/Basic -5/It's an uncommonly large white egg!",
Here's the code for a Large Egg. It has ID # 174, but also note the -5 after Basic. That's the item category. Looking through the file, it appears that category includes 174 (Large Egg), 176 (Egg), 180 (Egg, brown), 182 (Large Egg, brown), 305 (Void Egg), and 442 (Duck Egg). So it's safe to say -5 is the category for eggs. So Abigail also likes all eggs.

It would take time, but you can check every single NPC on this list http://pastebin.com/W6Va4fQ9 against every object and category on this one: http://pastebin.com/gG2AMXK0

In addition, all NPCs share universal loves, likes, dislikes, and hates. Note that diamond, ID 72, is not found on any of Abigail's loves or likes. But it is on the universal like list under -2 (category gems), so that's why Abigail likes diamonds but doesn't love them.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 28, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Don't walk in front of the train, BTW

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I paid to upgrade my watering can, but I forgot that I wouldn't have it for the next days.

All my crops are gonna die, aren't they? :ohdear: I guess I can reload my save.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

dmboogie posted:

I paid to upgrade my watering can, but I forgot that I wouldn't have it for the next days.

All my crops are gonna die, aren't they? :ohdear: I guess I can reload my save.

That's why I did mine at the end of the month. Missed the first day of planting, but got the most out of my Spring seeds.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I can't find the post that gives you quick tips to expand your backback space.... Anyone point me in the direction?
Or tell me how to get another row in my inventory I'm missing something

Seriously just clearing a small space to plant your turnips and I'm full on inventory space. Can I get rid of fiber or wood to start with or do I need to hoard?
2nd day you get a fishing pole but enjoy no inventory space :/

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I can't find the post that gives you quick tips to expand your backback space.... Anyone point me in the direction?

Seriously just clearing a small space to plant your turnips and I'm full on inventory space. Can I get rid of fiber or wood to start with or do I need to hoard?

early on you get a letter about the general store stocking a backpack for 2k gold

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

You can build a chest for 50 wood on the crafting panel (it's the hammer tab on your esc/inventory button.) They sell backpack upgrades in the general store too, i think the first one costs 2k or something?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Tiny Chalupa posted:

There's a backpack in the general store for 2000g.

And aw yes just bought a sprinkler that covers 24 blocks, this changes everything.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Zoe posted:

There's a backpack in the general store for 2000g.

And aw yes just bought a sprinkler that covers 24 blocks, this changes everything.

I didn't buy it the one time I saw it. :gonk: Now I'm puttin' around wondering when I come across iridium. Already got to the bottom of the mines.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can definitely confirm that abigail likes pufferfish. yessssssssssss.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So has anyone been heartless enough to get the community center sold to Joja mart yet? How far does that plotline go?

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

After the earthquake at the end of spring don't forget to make use of the hotsprings to the north. Great way to deal with stamina.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

Is this game easy to pick up and play for someone who has never played Harvest Moon or any of the other games mentioned in the thread title?

there's pretty much no tutorial at all, but there's also no fail state so it won't actually hurt you to just bumblefuck around learning things on your own. if you don't like doing that though, it might be pretty frustrating

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
Do you need the kitchen upgrade to cooks stuff? I have a few recipes and nothing shows up in the crafting panel, even when I am next to the firepit I made.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Ovo posted:

Do you need the kitchen upgrade to cooks stuff? I have a few recipes and nothing shows up in the crafting panel, even when I am next to the firepit I made.

You get a kitchen with your first house upgrade, other than than I just lived on salmon berries and snack bars. And raw fish.

What does that hobo get to complain about anyway, trashcan meals aren't too bad compared to working all day and then choking down pine cones and fish heads.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 28, 2016

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

the campfire not doing anything and not letting you cook basic food is a big oversight

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Are there actually fish to catch on the watery levels of the mines? I've tried fishing there a couple times and all I ever get is trash. :(

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Chump Farts posted:

Is there a way to make certain forage items more likely? Sure could use some horseradish.

If you cut up grass and get wild seeds you can plant those for that seasons forage items.

Someone Awful! posted:

Are there actually fish to catch on the watery levels of the mines? I've tried fishing there a couple times and all I ever get is trash. :(

Yes, that's how you get the Ghostfish for the speciality bundle.

Fans fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 28, 2016

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Demiurge4 posted:

Dear lord, that's awful.

I'll be moving my bee's to the greenhouse when it's repaired. They get a boost from flowers so I'll build a nice little bed of flowers there.

Form over function.

How do you get those other scarecrows??

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CROP FAERIES ARE REAL?!

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Is there a way to move buildings once places or do you have to destroy them?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Thank you for all the responses I'll get that box up asap

Is it best to sell everything to rush the backpack upgrade or can your starting farm get you there quick enough?

Basically every morning till about 10 I water my crops,clear some more land then either try to meet people I'm missing or fish :3
need to add mining at some point but I like my routine right now but I also need that space

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

MotU posted:

Is there a way to move buildings once places or do you have to destroy them?

There's a thread on reddit that says you can go to the carpenter and demolish a building but the building just explodes and you get no resources.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I would rather cut my own arm off than play with only the 12 starting slots so I rushed 2000g for the backpack asap. Just spend all your money on the 20g parsnip seeds, plant, sleep for 4 days and you should get enough.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Ryuga Death posted:

Is this game easy to pick up and play for someone who has never played Harvest Moon or any of the other games mentioned in the thread title?

I never played any of them and I'm doing pretty fine. I did play a lot of haven & hearth though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The gently caress is with the saving in this game, I quit out it and loaded it up and now it's a ways back. Like not even back to the last time I rested but even before that.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

PirateDentist posted:

I didn't buy it the one time I saw it. :gonk: Now I'm puttin' around wondering when I come across iridium. Already got to the bottom of the mines.

I got 6 iridium ore out of one of the Mega Geodes from the mines.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Thank you for all the responses I'll get that box up asap

Is it best to sell everything to rush the backpack upgrade or can your starting farm get you there quick enough?

Basically every morning till about 10 I water my crops,clear some more land then either try to meet people I'm missing or fish :3
need to add mining at some point but I like my routine right now but I also need that space

Chop trees, 200 wood lets you repair the bridge on the right end of the beach, which leads to a set of tidal pools that, when you first get there, should be stocked with a fair amount of cash shellfish.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Archenteron posted:

Chop trees, 200 wood lets you repair the bridge on the right end of the beach, which leads to a set of tidal pools that, when you first get there, should be stocked with a fair amount of cash shellfish.

They respawn pretty regularly, too. Easy way to get >1k per day just scavenging.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Cantorsdust posted:

They respawn pretty regularly, too. Easy way to get >1k per day just scavenging.

I got an event midsummer where the Survival Tips TV Guy said "Hey, shellfish breeding season, your local beaches are going to be overstocked with stuff" and lo and behold

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Genocyber posted:

The gently caress is with the saving in this game, I quit out it and loaded it up and now it's a ways back. Like not even back to the last time I rested but even before that.

there's a bug where it won't save if you level a skill up that night, so yeah early in the game when you're raising lots of stuff at once it can bone you

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
For everyone with save errors :

If you recently levelled up a skill, the save will revert back to that day, its a known bug.

Best way around it, is to just save and quit on a day you didnt get any Level Ups.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Is there any way to lock slots in my backpack? I like to hit sort for the trash I pick up, but I don't like the order it sorts my tools in.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Fans posted:

Yes, that's how you get the Ghostfish for the speciality bundle.

Ghosts also just have them as a loot drop though. :shrug:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Zoe posted:

So has anyone been heartless enough to get the community center sold to Joja mart yet? How far does that plotline go?

The game's "campaign" storyline has two paths: you can support the community center, or you can support the Joja Corporation. I'm going with the former, but I imagine you are doing essentially the same thing if you do it with Joja.

Zoe posted:

Where was it sold, from the wagon? How much did it cost? I want to be on the lookout for that, I'd love to get one early.

It says it covers "24 blocks". What does that mean? I assume it is a 5x5 square area, with the sprinkler in the middle?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Revol posted:

The game's "campaign" storyline has two paths: you can support the community center, or you can support the Joja Corporation. I'm going with the former, but I imagine you are doing essentially the same thing if you do it with Joja.

it seems weird to me, with the type of people who would enjoy this kind of game. i dunno who would immediately say LET'S RAZE THE COMMUNITY CENTER gently caress YEAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Joja you just pay money to get the town upgrades. It's the "I don't want to deal with that scavanger hunt bullshit" path.