Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the SC primary?
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Martin O'Malley
Willie Wilson
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I will vote for Black Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well, this was long expected, but I'll say to the people gleefully celebrating Bernie's failure, I don't get you, and probably never will.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The person who told that story is a personal friend of one of Hillary's staffers:

https://news.yahoo.com/how-hillary-clinton-won-the-battle-for-the-black-205650975.html

quote:

Dot Scott, the president of the NAACP’s Charleston branch, was similarly critical of Sanders’ team. Scott, who admitted being family friends with Clinton’s South Carolina state director, said she only had one contact with the Sanders campaign, and it went “sour.”

Like many South Carolinians, Scott has received calls at home from phone bankers. She said one of these entreaties from the Sanders campaign led her to go off on a 10-minute tirade and demand an apology.

“One of my experiences that I think I won’t forget for a long time is a call that I got from the Sanders campaign. This person that called asked me was I voting for Sen. Sanders. I said no. I was voting for Secretary Clinton. The phone went silent for a little bit,” Scott recounted. “You could hear this person struggling to come up with what they’re going to say next. … They call that a real pregnant pause, nine months’ worth of pregnant pause. And he finally came back and he says to me, ‘You know, Senator Sanders is for welfare.’”

I'm calling bullshit

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

HorseRenoir posted:

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but here's an article on Bernie's attempts at reaching the black vote in SC: https://www.yahoo.com/politics/how-hillary-clinton-won-the-battle-for-the-black-205650975.html

:stare:

:chanpop:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HorseRenoir posted:

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but here's an article on Bernie's attempts at reaching the black vote in SC: https://www.yahoo.com/politics/how-hillary-clinton-won-the-battle-for-the-black-205650975.html

:stare:

quote:

“Your talking point to the black community can’t be, you know, ‘I marched with Dr. King.’ … That’s cool. My dad made cheese sandwiches at the March on Washington. What else? Tell me more,” Sellers said. “Like, you have a picture of getting arrested. I thank you so much for your efforts in Chicago, but I mean, all I’ve got to do is go down the street to find a civil rights hero in South Carolina.”

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

EugeneJ posted:

The person who told that story is a personal friend of one of Hillary's staffers:

https://news.yahoo.com/how-hillary-clinton-won-the-battle-for-the-black-205650975.html

I'm calling bullshit

You should read the article

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Joementum posted:

Well, this was long expected, but I'll say to the people gleefully celebrating Bernie's failure, I don't get you, and probably never will.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

EugeneJ posted:

I'm calling bullshit

No, this is exactly what a white progressive from the suburbs would do

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

I'd say most of my glee is directed at the more rabid and delusional Sanders supporters getting a bit of a reality check. I really like Bernie and overwhelmingly support the majority of his ideas. I just don't think he's a very good general candidate. I'm really glad he was a bit of threat to at least make Clinton appear like she moved a little further left.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

I'm calling bullshit

If you've spent any time at all at /r/SandersForPresident there's no way you could read that story and not believe every word of it.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
She spent years doing work and it paid off, good for her

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I will vote for Black Hitler.

Blitler, please

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm very sad that Sanders did so poorly, but I was prepared for this day and am also perfectly happy with Clinton

Frankly, I'm hoping we can rip off the bandage of the more rabid Sanderistas early. I'd rather they not turn out for Trump than not turn out for Sanders.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

fknlo posted:

I'd say most of my glee is directed at the more rabid and delusional Sanders supporters getting a bit of a reality check. I really like Bernie and overwhelmingly support the majority of his ideas. I just don't think he's a very good general candidate. I'm really glad he was a bit of threat to at least make Clinton appear like she moved a little further left.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

I'll vote for the mediocre candidate to avoid the possibility of a republican president nominating conservative supreme court justices or rubberstamping conservative legislation through a conservative Congress, but if she loses in the general election, that's gonna be on Hillary and not Bernie supporters (unless he goes crazy and refuses to endorse her after the convention or something).

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'll think I will probably throw away my vote on the Green candidate

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

So Bernie should run in 2020 after Trump's first term

Got it

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Joementum posted:

We have weekly conversations about what is wrong with black people because we don't support Bernie Sanders. The conversation ranges from vaguely insulting to outright bigotry. If you don't understand why some people are gloating, I don't get you, and I'm glad I never will.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

GrizzlyCow posted:

We have weekly conversations about what is wrong with black people because we don't support Bernie Sanders. The conversation ranges from vaguely insulting to outright bigotry. If you don't understand why some people are gloating, I don't get you, and I'm glad I never will.

No we dont

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I guess we're playing "/pol/, /r/sanders4president, or stormfront" after all!

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!

EugeneJ posted:

So Bernie should run in 2020 after Trump's first term

Got it

So Trump gets your vote then?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

vrath posted:

So Trump gets hour vote then?

I think I found Trump's account

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

just for the hey of it i fit a log equation to that scatterplot i made, took the equation [sanders % of vote] = 15.16*ln([black % of population])+6.456, and applied it to all the congressional districts (and state senate districts in texas, loving assholes) in super tuesday's southern states. i pulled the number of per-CD/TXSD and statewide delegates from greenpapers and, using the 15% cutoff, predicted sanders' delegate totals from the south on super tuesday

it should be hilariously inadequate as a predictive model, just taking the 7 CDs of south carolina and extrapolating to other states, many of which are barely southern and most of which have smaller black populations, but i'll be interested to see how badly it does

here's the calculations and poo poo, with sources linked. i hope this link works, never used this site before but it says you can just get on and edit a spreadsheet without a login so let's give it a try
https://ethercalc.org/kuh48bozcs
(didn't copy the formulae, oh well)

state by state predictions:
alabama: sanders wins 12 of 53 delegates
arkansas: sanders wins 12 of 32 delegates (presumably clinton will overperform here???)
georgia: sanders wins 24 of 102 delegates
oklahoma: sanders wins 17 of 38 delegates
tennessee: sanders wins 25 of 67 delegates
texas: sanders wins 47 of 222 delegates (remember, this model can't tell the difference between hispanics and whites - big deal in some districts that are like 80% hispanic)
virginia: sanders wins 31 of 95 delegates
AL+AR+GA+OK+TN+TX+VA: sanders wins 168 of 609 delegates, hillary 441

so there ya go! i'll probably check back in after tuesday to see how badly this simple-rear end model did

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

And on this note, the million donation threads in s4p with people giving their last $3.00 and now they can't buy food are loving depressing as all hell. Like holy gently caress.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
H-I

H-I-L

H-I-L-L-A-R-Y

Hillary! *clapclapclap*

Our nominee! *clapclapclap*

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!

Goetta posted:

I think I found Trump's account

I loving wish. Have you seen my I mean his daughter?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

And on this note, the million donation threads in s4p with people giving their last $3.00 and now they can't buy food are loving depressing as all hell. Like holy gently caress.

It is fun trying to parse if people truly believe that removing the wealth stranglehold on politics is both paramount and still possible enough to make that sacrifice or if they are just mentally ill.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

fknlo posted:

I, too, am glad that Hillary is pretending to be a leftist.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Pol is making these aren't they

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012

Mister Fister posted:

I, too, am glad that Hillary is pretending to be a leftist.

Even if she's 100 percent fully pretending (she isn't), you know it's not bad for those to become the terms of the national conversation going forward?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Joementum posted:

seriously, guys, you need those votes in the general. can the democratic party stop making unforced errors for, like, 10 minutes. sanders has fired up a huge youth constituency that could deliver us a democratic wave on the level of 1964. don't gently caress this up by gloating enough that they all stay home.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Beforehand posted:

Even if she's 100 percent fully pretending (she isn't), you know it's not bad for those to become the terms of the national conversation going forward?

They're likely going to be dropped from the national conversation come time for the GE when she likely starts moving back ~to the center~

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx
The youth won't stay home. The youth will vote for Trump. :smug:

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Beforehand posted:

"Leftist" is a relative term anyway. Ted Cruz has pointed out that Hillary and Trump have virtually identical positions on most issues, and Trump is likely to be the GOP nominee. It won't be good for turnout if Hillary can't come out with a meaningful difference to her opponent.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Beforehand posted:

So when President Clinton topples yet another Middle East dictator and creates another power vacuum causing massive human suffering, at least we have... the national conversation that she's a progressive.

Quite honestly, i'd rather have another Republican in office doing that poo poo so we can point to how conservativism is evil.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
^^^^

Are you one of the people that think she's going to invade Iran because she supported the same new sanctions as Obama?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

seriously, guys, you need those votes in the general. can the democratic party stop making unforced errors for, like, 10 minutes. sanders has fired up a huge youth constituency that could deliver us a democratic wave on the level of 1964. don't gently caress this up by gloating enough that they all stay home.

A huge youth constituency that isn't even getting out to vote for the revolution candidate that is whipping them into an internet frenzy? They're already staying home.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
I wouldn't normally actually link to 4chan but their collection of Bernie reddit posts is impressive

https://boards.4chan.org/pol/thread/65556162

They're really enjoying seeing a jew get murdered on live television which is to be fully expected

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Goetta posted:

It is fun trying to parse if people truly believe that removing the wealth stranglehold on politics is both paramount and still possible enough to make that sacrifice or if they are just mentally ill.

Im not sure if you have ever experienced being truly poor.

When I had dollars to my name for weeks after exiting a hospital giving a dollar or two as a donation or buying someone a coffee gave me more feeling of satisfaction and (false, transient) meaning in life than a lite meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jacobin posted:

Im not sure if you have ever experienced being truly poor.

When I had dollars to my name for weeks after exiting a hospital giving a dollar or two as a donation or buying someone a coffee gave me more feeling of satisfaction and (false, transient) meaning in life than a lite meal.

I have. It really loving sucks.

• Locked thread