Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Mr Fronts posted:

"...or candy for my van"!

Holy poo poo the pedo runs strong in that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
is he saying the backers will murder them or am I just really missing something obvious?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Man, it could make good material for psychology and sociology classes. Art history?

Ethics and project management.

is he saying the backers will murder them or am I just really missing something obvious?

I hope he means that he wants them to interact with backers in the PU.

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 28, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
lol

Yeah, I missed the part about telling them to play the game somehow. I don't see how anyone would do that to relax and kickback.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

I'm still getting used to Logical Chimp frequently making sense.

Oculus Rift in a month?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

lol

Yeah, I missed the part about telling them to play the game somehow. I don't see how anyone would do that to relax and kickback.

I know that when I put in 60-80 hour workweeks, what I want to do on my week off is go over all of my spreadsheets and relive every moment of them.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

lol

I could see griefing Dowlphin or B'tak having a therapeutic effect.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Gaming really is in sorry shape.

Hard to believe 5 years ago 'Reach' was a new game and a labor of love - and while shovelware was a problem big releases were pretty sure bets.

Now pretty much everything is a cashgrab and I've lost my appetite for shooters. I should check out Elite at some point.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...ered-dispatches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtvTmO8Cz0o

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Wait what. Gladiator is getting refactored? So it's a single seater now too?

Ben thinks the word is "re-facted," which is when they ninja swap the spec sheet people paid for with one that's actually feasible. Oh, and ban dissenters.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I thought SA forums were built around the wow guild?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320093/don-t-want-to-say-i-told-you-so-but-i-told-you-so-p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-m7nZS8aRY

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

fuctifino posted:

Oh, I'm sure college and university courses will be talking about Star Citizen for many decades to come... just not in the way the poster imagines.

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

"Anaylizing and Managing Deviant Organizational Leaders"

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

zcrow posted:

I wish I had time to do this better, but effort

I salute the incredible amount of work went into this. :0

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Looks interesting. I'll read it when I get a chance.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

: Wait, what?

Thank you for these gifts, friends.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6411413/#Comment_6411413

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mirificus posted:

I'm still getting used to Logical Chimp frequently making sense.

Oculus Rift in a month?

Yeah about that...

Star Citizen Litany of Lies
Original Promise: "Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)"
New Truth: Isolated co-op missions outside the campaign.

Original Promise: "Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)"
New Truth: "We will be live and in operation for some time before anybody even looks at private servers."

Original Promise: We have backed Oculus Rift and will support it in Star Citizen / Squadron 42.
New Truth: "I can't answer that." (45:32)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I feel sad for his mom. Having to watch RTV with her idiot son :(

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.
This thread just keeps delivering!

Speaking of delivering, HBS delivered their beard-off that was part of their KS promises in a match that lasted about 3-4 hours, they actually combined it with a stream that has currently raised over 40 000+ dollars for charity and is still currently going on.

Pretty neat, some companies make cool things happen.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

McDowell posted:

Hard to believe 5 years ago 'Reach' was a new game and a labor of love - and while shovelware was a problem big releases were pretty sure bets.

Now pretty much everything is a cashgrab and I've lost my appetite for shooters. I should check out Elite at some point.

AAA is in a deep rut these days, but man if your high point for passion and creativity was Halo Reach than you have some crazy myopia going on.

I don't know how anyone can look at the rise of all the completely amazing indie stuff we've seen in the last few years and say that. The stuff that relatively tiny teams or even one person devs can do these days is bonkers. Sure it's not as *big* as AAA, but they're every big as fun, or deep, or smart, or interesting.

Just look beyond the games that can be summed up as "yet another open world action shooter game with a big map filled with activity icons" and you'll find a world of great stuff.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah gaming as a whole is going great. hell even some big publishers are taking whacky risks: look at alien isolation, or dark souls being as bonkers popular as they are. splatoon is weird as hell and popular as poo poo. video games are doing just fine.

dont look at CIG and think it is representative of anything but the family roberts; its waste and unoriginality on an unprecedented level.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 28, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Edit: ACCIDENTAL DOUBLE POST

wish the forum was unlocked again so those reddit donguses could see me call them fuckfaces

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Mendrian posted:

Seriously. I know people in this thread joke about reddit tears. Mark my words: reddit will find a way to be smug about the game's cancelation slash mutation. Star Citizen was just too advanced for the world, man, and ignorant savages just can't let something beautiful be.

If they are foolish enough to give goons credit for the downfall of SC that would be hilarious. A bunch of comedy forum
posters brought down a 100+ million dollar company with gifs and bad photoshops? Noice.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

ZenMaster posted:

If they are foolish enough to give goons credit for the downfall of SC that would be hilarious. A bunch of comedy forum
posters brought down a 100+ million dollar company with gifs and bad photoshops? Noice.

don't forget bad posts

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

jaegerx posted:

I thought SA forums were built around the wow guild?

well there are redditors who believe we pay a monthly sub to post here

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.

Klyith posted:

AAA is in a deep rut these days, but man if your high point for passion and creativity was Halo Reach than you have some crazy myopia going on.

I don't know how anyone can look at the rise of all the completely amazing indie stuff we've seen in the last few years and say that. The stuff that relatively tiny teams or even one person devs can do these days is bonkers. Sure it's not as *big* as AAA, but they're every big as fun, or deep, or smart, or interesting.

Just look beyond the games that can be summed up as "yet another open world action shooter game with a big map filled with activity icons" and you'll find a world of great stuff.

It's gone a full circle in a sense, from small teams to huge teams and budgets and now the small teams are getting more attention again. Not that they ever completely vanished. Digital distribution has just made life so much easier.

And those small teams, while limited by resources, enjoy more freedoms to experiment and try all sort of weird ideas and do 'niche' games. That's how a lot of classics were born back in the day too. And sometimes they go out to prove to publishers that there is in fact a market for this type of games.

Not all experiments end up working out, and I bet there's plenty of cool ideas and games that never make it big because there's so much competition. There's plenty of enjoyable AAA titles too, but as we've seen.. craploads of money and huge talented teams are no guarantee of success either. The bigger the budget, the bigger the expectations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Mirificus posted:

Looks interesting. I'll read it when I get a chance.
Frankly there are better ones -- CIG LA seems a textbook example of Organizational Deviance run amok.

A lot of the research focuses on employer / employee relations-- but with CIG it obviously extends far outside the organization proper to encompass and govern the customer / organization relationship.

I've joked about this as Beanie Babies for Grown Men but the parallels are deeper than that. Ty Warner was notorious for his micromanagement of beanie production ("No no no- that seam is the wrong pattern, STOP we're changing it!" / "This monkey isn't smaragdine, it's just greenish blue-- halt the job and fix this dye, NOW!"

Of course, this produced constant "valuable" rarities which commanded high prices, which was a 'happy accident' that wasn't. We see soft parallels with CIG's former artificial scarcity tactics and Roberts micromanagement of trivial design details...

A bit of a tangent there but my main point is that while Organizational Deviance isn't so rare, acute, systemic deviance (radiating from the top) is rather unusual. Rarer still is a company that manages to subsume even part of its customer base into that madness. So CIG is very worth study and will surely be the subject of more than a few doctoral theses one day...

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

NO

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Klyith posted:

I'm also talking about features. This was Bungie's ultimate Halo so it has not only a sick campaign - but co-op, firefight, all the multiplayer options, forge, splitscreen - everything but the kitchen sink. Pretty much all of it was there at launch, too.

Compare that to Destiny and all the other F2P arcade stuff.

Microsoft could get $60 from me with a PC port of Reach - Chris is trying to get my cash with a Squadron 42 release.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Mirificus posted:

I agree with voodoo.child that there will be a lot of lessons learned from this project.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6413669/#Comment_6413669

I like how he thinks that October's bump in citizen count is anything other than desperate whales making dozens of accounts to buy packages for to fulfill the stupid referral (pronounced "REF-rul") program requirements to get their useless hangar flair rewards.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

A lot of the research focuses on employer / employee relations-- but with CIG it obviously extends far outside the organization proper to encompass and govern the customer / organization relationship.

coming from a hospitality background as a manager who's been in all aspects of running a hotel from the financial side to the operations side (which includes all customer facing departments) watching everything happen at cig is fuckin hilarious. from the way these people talk and act in front of a camera to their emails and forum posts, they would not last a month in a real job with real responsibilities. which is not surprising because none of these people (sandi, ben, lando) seem to have had real jobs in the past.

cig management is a clusterfuck and will become the textbook example of how not to run a business, treat employees (which is one of the most important things about running a business that relys solely on revenue from customers) and manage workloads.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Why do we still have this shite thread title?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DigitalMocking posted:

Why do we still have this shite thread title?

Because it's better than the alternative.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

No one told him we run the sub now? Oohhhh that is going to hurt!

Stay safe eight.

Battlesmurf is a tard. He goes the rails like clockwork. Every 2 months he blows his load and settles down and spends money, then realizes it was lie. repeat ad nauseam.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Klyith posted:

Agree - Indies are great and where my focus has been in the past while.

AAA have seem to have gone the route of how to get the most $ from the customer never mind the gameplay.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
AAA games cost more than ever to make so it is either raise the upfront cost or add microtransactions to generate more money

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

McDowell posted:

I wouldn't say its in sorry shape. It's arguably more diverse and offering more variety than ever. Indies been blowing up for some time now.

As for shooters, that's part of growing up. They can be fun, but most are extremely shallow and twitch gaming only last so long.

Elite is good, though boring at times. But totally worth checking out.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I'm Ben's heart

send help please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

McDowell posted:

I'm also talking about features. This was Bungie's ultimate Halo so it has not only a sick campaign - but co-op, firefight, all the multiplayer options, forge, splitscreen - everything but the kitchen sink. Pretty much all of it was there at launch, too.

Compare that to Destiny and all the other F2P arcade stuff.

Microsoft could get $60 from me with a PC port of Reach - Chris is trying to get my cash with a Squadron 42 release.

If you take anything away from this thread, it should be that Chris should NEVER get your cash. Not now, not in 1992, not in 2022, not ever.

• Locked thread