Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I don't remember any Cessna, but a bunch of us were trolling the CSS guys the other night. He might have been one of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There is nothing more satisfying than managing to one-shot an enemy flagship that's holding still, hiding, and unhurt.

RIP dumb hiding Nevada, you couldn't stand up to an Ise.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Anyone familiar with a guy named Cessna? He got salty over dying one game and revealed my location to enemies, then bragged about how lame Goons are. rear end in a top hat!

He's sour about something petty because he did the same in my game once. I don't remember doing anything to him though.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

He's sour about something petty because he did the same in my game once. I don't remember doing anything to him though.

The "Grr Goons" sentiment is strong with just about every gaming community sadly. Might have something to do with our opinion of having fun at any cost.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I had a Hatsu get angry at me for 'stealing his preys' when I sniped out a Helgoland with my Kongo. He then announced he was not going to spot or defend for anyone because is 'noob team' and I mocked him while carefully moving forward, killing the enemy BB line, and then capping out with Vanguard while he raged about how I didn't 'know my role' and 'BB is only support artillery!' and how 'When you get to T5 you get no more kills is terrible!'

It was the most fun I've had in game.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I just may stay in my elited I-19. Plenty of people in tier V to play against, and I hear the tier 6-9 botes aren't much better.

Ramming other subs is a lot of fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So the fully upgraded torp bombers on the Indy can one-shot a Kongo from full health if you get him dead broadside and blow up his ammo.

Yesssss.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I played a bunch of 5v5s with the 4chan dudes today, it was a good run. Sorry for abandoning you Groggy

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I played a bunch of 5v5s with the 4chan dudes today, it was a good run. Sorry for abandoning you Groggy

While you were gone I made Anumati really mad about stuff in a Steam discussion, good to see he didn't sperg so hard as to not let you play with them. They stick to the 2 CV strat?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 19, 2016

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

I just may stay in my elited I-19. Plenty of people in tier V to play against, and I hear the tier 6-9 botes aren't much better.

Ramming other subs is a lot of fun.

6 is worse, 7 is probably equivalent. Torp damage goes up as you would expect but the big issue is speed, which sucks on the I-58. The t7 should have the same speed (upgraded) as I-19 though. I haven't bothered to get it yet because the I-58 is frustrating to play. Most players in t6 games are more competent, and when you are much slower than them it's harder to close to a range where you have a chance at hitting them. Any battleship can easily outrun you submerged, and even on the surface best I can do is 22 knots with useful commanders.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I just made the leap from t3 to the t4 ijn sub and I'm mixed about it. Extra front tubes are nice. Scout is a mixed bag for me. But the worse part is that I really enjoyed those spare two tubes in the rear of the t3 sub. Looking further on the tree, that looks like it'll never come back either.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The I-14 is a slow, fat piece of poo poo.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mazz posted:

While you were gone I made Anumati really mad about stuff in a Steam discussion, good to see he didn't sperg so hard as to not let you play with them. They stick to the 2 CV strat?

That was a good thread, with a good Tem meltdown.

They played 2 CVs, but the Scharns did most of the damage anywhoo. It felt like they just used smoke better because I never had a to yell at anybody before it went up.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Ok, driving the kongo around like its a big retarded destroyer is some of the most fun I've had in steel ocean that didn't involve torpedo bombers. This would never work against good players but drat is it fun against teir 3 and 4.

I've gotten between 1000 - 2000 points of spotting damage almost every match. I've also got arashi and the rangefinder for an extra 1000m spotting and a bunch of dudes with speed buffs so I can put down 33ish knots. Combine that with my rudder upgrades and fire control radar and I have an awesome boat for loving destroyers and cruisers.

Note: this only works against pubs since it requires the enemy teams battleships to be retarded and unable to shoot straight. Thankfully this is usually the case at tier 4.

Edit: I just looked and the Kongo has ridiculously good scouting range. It really is the worlds fattest destroyer.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 20, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you hadn't been a dumb and sold your Repulse it would be similar but better.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Hey man, Taiho's don't buy themselves. Also for BC play, lower tier is better. The better a BB can shoot, the worse this works.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Repulses can be one-shot by Ises. As can Kongos. And Nevadas. And basically everything at T5 and below. Beware the Ise, it will end your rampages and is the favored T5 BB of tryhards.

I saw this one guy, ElDorado63 or something. I keep seeing him in an Ise so I checked his stats...guy has played 1200 games in the Ise alone. How does someone do that and not get sick of that bote?

Also I really want the Italian Navy in this game.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 20, 2016

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Is there a way to rearrange the ships placement/order in your port?

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
What are the chances of a fleet battle going off in 2 hours 30 min CA? FYI I am shitfaced and on an actual bote. There is a guy here with a traffic cone on his head singing Whitney Houston

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Fleet battles were lots of fun! Good jobs with botes guys.

Pretty funny when one enemy BB gets lit up, and all our BBs hit him simultaneously with full broadsides. Poor bastard must've eaten 50 14" shells all down his smokestack.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
http://boards.4chan.org/vg/thread/132742595#p132769353

You two are popular.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
Dark Judge status: still not great outside the top end people. I ran in to a group of 3 in a 4v3 competition game on Ocean War: a Colorado (pubbie), a Myoko, an Asahio, and the German t6 sub vs a Colorado, an Admiral Hipper, and myself in a Pennsylvania. We won 6 to 4, Asahio died once and had 200 life left at the end, sub died once (I one salvo'd him while he was on the surface), Colorado twice and Myoko twice (also nearly dead).

18k damage and MVP, the Pennsylvania is so goddamn good. I was certain we were screwed when I saw the class match up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, helping Kommy grind through his Taco, it turns out a Yubari, Taco, and Wyoming can basically take all comers at T4. The Taco can waste any cruisers that they to close in on the Yubari, the Yubari fends off Subs and DDs, kills planes, and spots, and the Wyoming dunks all over enemy BBs who are sans spotters.

I'm starting to think the Furutaka is actually a good boat in this game.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

im the school idol

Night10194 posted:

You know, helping Kommy grind through his Taco, it turns out a Yubari, Taco, and Wyoming can basically take all comers at T4. The Taco can waste any cruisers that they to close in on the Yubari, the Yubari fends off Subs and DDs, kills planes, and spots, and the Wyoming dunks all over enemy BBs who are sans spotters.

I'm starting to think the Furutaka is actually a good boat in this game.

It's not bad.

I had a comp game today where an enemy Furutaka seemed like it had a pubbie force field. The fucker just drove right up into our team and did not take a single point of damage. He was not a good player and barely did anything, but the only damage he ever took was from me torping him 3 times.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

It's less popularity and more being one of the 7 people in this game who can actually play high tier DDs. I saw they did real well though, that's pretty cool.

I bought XCOM and played the Division beta which was real fun, so no timetable when I'm actually going to be around again but I can pretty much guarantee I'll be back to shoot botes at some point.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Take your time Mazz, you don't need to burn yourself out on a F2P game that you can come back to.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mazz posted:

It's less popularity and more being one of the 7 people in this game who can actually play high tier DDs. I saw they did real well though, that's pretty cool.

I bought XCOM and played the Division beta which was real fun, so no timetable when I'm actually going to be around again but I can pretty much guarantee I'll be back to shoot botes at some point.

Make sure I'm around when you come back so you don't bash your face into tier 9 pub battles alone

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anyone play this with a steam controller? I sorta have to but you can't go fast and turn without using the fixed turns.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
US 7th Fleet everybody!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Groggy nard posted:

US 7th Fleet everybody!

This is what budget does, right?

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Groggy nard posted:

US 7th Fleet everybody!

the real one for this would be our team match where we attacked them with nothing but cruisers and still managed to kill over half their team.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It is fleet fight time!

Assuming goons show.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Finally got past the Emden and am liking the Konigsberg 1927 quite a bit, but goddamn I think the Atlanta is the most fun I've had in this game. Shredding DDs with a single broadside is really satisfying.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I actually dislike the Atlanta. It's too short ranged for my tastes and kinda relies on the enemy stumbling into that short range.

Konigsberg 1927 is where it's at. DDs approach it all like 'Oh, it's a German CL, this can't be anything dangerous, I've dealt with Emdens-' and that's as far as they get before they explode. Use HE on them. Use it all the time.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Are there going to be any Goons online for 5v5s tonight?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MVP on a loss is always the single most scathing indictment of my team. :negative:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

We couldn't quite find enough goons to do fleet battles so we split up into groups. Somehow this resulted in a game where I topped my team's leaderboard after doing mostly ramming damage in the Kongo.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Dear Mazz,

Please come back, I'm the only player doing damage at tier 8.

-Slim Jim

Danann posted:

We couldn't quite find enough goons to do fleet battles so we split up into groups. Somehow this resulted in a game where I topped my team's leaderboard after doing mostly ramming damage in the Kongo.

I was busy watching Space Is The Place, sorry. It's a phenomenal movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Today, Kommy and I in a Northhampton and Ersatz Yorck managed to beat a Colorado, Hipper, and New Orleans while our Scharhorst scrambled around in confusion.

How the gently caress did 3 Tier 7s manage to lose a 5-kill competition mode to two 6s?

Also, any bets on how terrible the Jintsu will be? It comes tomorrow!

• Locked thread