Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Overwined posted:

Hmm, I wonder what Anchovy Pesto tastes like...

Anchovies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Overwined posted:

Hmm, I wonder what Anchovy Pesto tastes like...

It's pretty good.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
What's the best way to eat King Oscar in tomato sauce other than straight out of the can?

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Male Tears posted:

What's the best way to eat King Oscar in tomato sauce other than straight out of the can?

With no pants at 2 am over the sink with your fingers

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Male Tears posted:

Make the Thai salad in the OP

naem
May 29, 2011

ChrisHansen posted:

:911:

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

ChrisHansen posted:

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Male Tears posted:

i really like tomato dines with dijon mustard on the cracker of your choice

the umami is intense

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Just ate some spaghetti and didn't put small fish in it despite having them in their correct cupboard corner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQRmCy6LfjI&t=65s

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Working graves and attempting to stave off ill effects/bad habits of lovely food. Had started getting tins of tuna and crackers for a healthyish protein 2am lunch.

Recently remembered Alton Brown going on and on about god damned sardines.
Local supermarket had a decent selection, but didn't know where to start. Picked up Crown Prince in olive oil, because they're a buck a can.
EAT THE BONES, SISSY.

Tuna can gently caress right the hell off. Remaining cans went to the dogs and cats.

Been dining on the 'dines for like a week and a half. Can't get them out of my head.

Picked up some TJ 'dines. Yes.

Remembered that there was a fuckin' dad-dine thread (thanks to Male Tears who I remember being oddly fanatical about it). Read half the thread yesterday.

Picked up some TJ harissa 'dines. Holy hell yes.

Wife asked if the fancy salad we were having for dinner could use some protein. I naturally suggested 'dines. She said she wasn't sure about the bones and all. I said it was NBD, but found a can of skinless/boneless in oil and she readily agreed. Big loving hit. She's convinced. For lunch like an hour ago I had some leftover salad- Spinach, tomato, bell pepper, cucumber, avocado, goat cheese, quinoa and easy mode 'dine, but with a can of the harissa 'dines dumped on top. Aces. Fantastic.

Read the second half of thread.

Because of the collective mental illness of this thread, I have now 'liked' the king o' 'dines on facebook and I can't wait to go buy fancy fishies tomorrow for my weekend.

FAKE EDIT - YES ALL THE BONES

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
this is actually the second iteration of the dine thread.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Yeah well I'm late to the party

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
you should read through the first iteration of it

also, welcome to the party, night shift bro

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

:gibs::respek::gibs: Night shift zombies

I'm gonna. Crazy good fish talk here. My life is changed. Wanna make those fisherman's eggs, but I can't the traditional way in my house if I want to stay married.
Wife has an onion allergy.

Let that sink in while you all think about your eating habits.
Not a dislike, not a textural aversion, an allergy. It's hereditary in her family. Her father and one of her sisters have to carry an epi-pen for onions. She's not quite to that point yet, but it has gotten worse over the last 15 years.
This includes scallions, shallots and leeks, but oddly and mercifully not garlic.

What are some potentially good substitutes for the onions in that recipe?

Droogie fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 29, 2016

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
lemon grass maybe. it's nothing like an onion, but at least it's got some aromaticatisity to it that isn't garlic related. that and maybe some sweet peppers to provide some sweetness.

actually, daikon would probably be o.k.ish as fools onion or something else from the radish family.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3618400

Sizone fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 29, 2016

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I'll have to play around with it. I definitely thought daikon as I've used that and chayote squash before for the same kind of crunch/consistency. I'm always looking for other suggestions, though. The line in the family tends to be limitation, not experimentation, though. I'm just trying my best to make things close to recipe correct (while taking a flavor hit).

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Sheep-Goats posted:

Whuh oh did up too much onion gotta let it dry a little no one copy my onion long term storage strats

I purposely pre chop all my onions in one go, then throw it in baggies in the freezer. You can throw them in the hot skillet straight from the freezer.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Le matin, c'est difficile se lever. Mais il y a toujours du temps pour mes sardines.

Une canne de sardines brunswick à la moutarde. Un beau croissant de la veille.

Ouvrez les deux.

Mangez ça, mes petits pères, et vivez bien.

Ceciltron fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 29, 2016

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
speak 'merican. pretty sure that is one of the few remaining forum rulez

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I was trying to bring a bit of foreign (to 'mericans) dad style in recognition of the origins of the bread featured in my posts.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
despite the commonly used term for it, la croissant is of Austrian origins. you should be flavoring your text in kraut

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Sizone posted:

despite the commonly used term for it, la croissant is of Austrian origins. you should be flavoring your text in kraut
Yeah, there's a reason we call them Viennoiseries (things of Vienna) but :ssh: we will never concede this.

Also we just made it through like 6 pages of picklechat, last thing we need is more kraut.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Ever wonder if the King Oscar marketing people are scratching their heads at the sudden Internet interest in sardines?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Insane Totoro posted:

Ever wonder if the King Oscar marketing people are scratching their heads at the sudden Internet interest in sardines?

They seem pretty savvy, at least on Facebook. If they do any kind of analysis on their web traffic I bet they noticed.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Insane Totoro posted:

gone are the days of the goonrush. I doubt the dine thread is responsible for any kind of increase in anything. except oven temperatures.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Droogie posted:

:gibs::respek::gibs: Night shift zombies

I'm gonna. Crazy good fish talk here. My life is changed. Wanna make those fisherman's eggs, but I can't the traditional way in my house if I want to stay married.
Wife has an onion allergy.

Let that sink in while you all think about your eating habits.
Not a dislike, not a textural aversion, an allergy. It's hereditary in her family. Her father and one of her sisters have to carry an epi-pen for onions. She's not quite to that point yet, but it has gotten worse over the last 15 years.
This includes scallions, shallots and leeks, but oddly and mercifully not garlic.

What are some potentially good substitutes for the onions in that recipe?

If you don't know what fennel is I'm about to change your life because here comes a AAA suggestion:

Fennel

How to use fennel:

Cut the green parts off the top, slice/dice and use the bottom white part the exact same way you would an onion

You could also sub juillined yellow bell pepper

There is a powder in Indian grocery stores called asifoetida (or hing) that a lot of people over there use as an onion substitute because they can't eat onions or garlic for religious reasons. The down side is that it smells like a rotting human corpse. I'll gladly eat all kinds of fermented Asian fish gloop which also smells repugnant but that asofetida poo poo is on another level and I would never tolerate it in my cabinets. But then I'm not in the pitiable position of not being able to eat onions all day every day.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
asofetida also comes out your pores and makes your rear end smell fetid.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

pr0k posted:

asofetida also comes out your pores and makes your rear end smell fetid.

Yeah. The one in like ten to three Indians (depending on how many of that religion are in your community) that just reek of unwashed rear end are usually due to hing.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Chop up fennel, avoid smelling like dead guy butt. Got it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It do taste like the onion taste kinda tho

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also it's probably the sulfide compounds her genetically disappointing family can't handle so chives are likely also a no go but you tried chives already, right? And if so have you tried "garlic chives" which you usually have to buy off of Hmong people at a farmer's market or else at the Asian grocery?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
just got a tin of KO in Dijon Mustard. these really own.

my lunch today is KO's on crackers and sauerkraut on the side. eat poo poo, coworkers

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

the yeti posted:

They seem pretty savvy, at least on Facebook. If they do any kind of analysis on their web traffic I bet they noticed.

If they were savvy they'd let me buy the sardine forks

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you don't know what fennel is I'm about to change your life because here comes a AAA suggestion:

Fennel

How to use fennel:

poo poo grows wild along a a bunch of creeks/drainage systems back home. The correct way to use it is to be a kid and have sword fights with your friends using the dried stalks. If you live in a place where sugar cane grows I am of the understanding that that is also the correct way to use sugar cane.

Fennel's good raw, by itself. My dad and his cronies would always put the "leafy" bits of it on the grill when grilling salmon, but I don't think it really did anything.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fennel is pretty expensive here so I grow it if I have space to do so.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
find a damp abandoned lot nearby and spread your fennel seed as you would spread your testicle seed into a dumpy overweight single mother in walmart

should natural culture pretty well unless you live in a desert or the arctic

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not in the desert or anything but we only get like 15 inches of nonfrozen precip a year. Maybe a creekbed or something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm not in the desert or anything but we only get like 15 inches of nonfrozen precip a year. Maybe a creekbed or something.

Fennel DGAF how much rain.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

withak posted:

Fennel DGAF how much rain.

I am told that if it doesn't stay wet it just makes bushy green poo poo and seeds not plump bulbs and I for one am a plump bulb fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I gotcher plump bulb right here