Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Original X-Files had this idea that there were shadowy people pulling the strings of the government. New X-Files is that the government is evil. Old X-Files was about conspiracies being whispered and suspected. New X-Files is "if you don't believe the conspiracies you are a loving idiot". Old X-Files had social criticism weaved into the plots and characters. New X-Files has guy: "All Muslims want all of America dead!" Scully: "That's not true" as literally dialogue.

Home Again was the best episode and, the weakest part was hands-down the writing of the "villains". Like they couldn't make an episode about relocating homeless people without a guy saying literally "Hurry up, I paid good money for this!" and some other guys saying "Who knew we could make so much money exploiting the homeless!"

It's juvenile, amateur-level writing that I would expect from a student film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ravane posted:

:eyepop: Yeah, one guy's a fireman, the other works on the production team of Game of Thrones. They're all terrible actors, the entire extended cast is, I mean, no wonder the only person and only decent actress that didn't show up was Mary-Kate/Ashley. Regardless, they all turned up hot, especially the twins. :heysexy:

2 of the 3 main cast are doing Lifetime movies, and the other hasn't acted since Full House ended except to play her Full House character for Funny or Die a few years ago.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Aphrodite posted:

2 of the 3 main cast are doing Lifetime movies, and the other hasn't acted since Full House ended except to play her Full House character for Funny or Die a few years ago.

That makes sense. I only bothered to watch the pilot, but jesus christ this show feels like a parody of the original full house and sitcoms in general. I thought for a second that I was watching Full House as it was imagined by the creators of "Too Many Cooks".

There's a segment where they break the fourth wall and just stare at the camera for a full minute. I'm not even joking, it's so terrible.

The only way the show could be better is with an actual serial killer tossed into the show to make it a meta-parody. Bryan Fuller House needs to happen.

If it were a single episode for just gathering the cast all together again to recount what they've been through, that would faired ten times better. Instead it's just more crap on Netflix.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Escobarbarian posted:

okay Horace and Pete is my favourite show of the year so far

I guess there's no Horace & Pete thread? Cause I just got up to ep 3 and I am kindof amazed. Quoting the most recent post I could find...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763115&perpage=40

It's still the best show of the year btw why isn't everyone watching it yet? DP OCC ZAG WHOTHEFUCKEVER WHERE MY BOYS AT ON THIS ONE

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Thanks for the link :effort:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Escobarbarian posted:

There's a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763115&perpage=40

It's still the best show of the year btw why isn't everyone watching it yet? DP OCC ZAG WHOTHEFUCKEVER WHERE MY BOYS AT ON THIS ONE

I haven't watched it yet but it does look like it'd be my jam.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Thanks!

But for real it's super good. I totally agree with I think it was Sepinwal who said that it's super exciting to just get an email that the new episode is there and you have no idea what it's going to be. You don't know who the guest stars are, what the theme(s) of the episode is/are. Just sit and watch. Especially ep 3 blew me away.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Zaggitz posted:

I haven't watched it yet but it does look like it'd be my jam.

I say this knowing literally just that its by Louis ck, its set in a bar, and it's another one of his cool content distribution experiments.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kaizoku posted:

No, you pretty much covered the show right there. Galifinakis's character's misery is entirely his own doing, though, and the show never shies from noting that. If that's not funny/entertaining/engaging to you, the previous episodes won't offer you much more.

I was wrong about Baskets, it's got more going for it than that. Please watch Baskets.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have mercy?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Escobarbarian posted:

you're right that does look like a jam but im v busy petting my husbando

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Have mercy?

Didn't she get hooked on meth for a while?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Fuller House is bad, but it's actually not so bad for a family sitcom when it's focused on the new kids. Max loving rules.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hulu is genius. They used to use their demographic data to target ads. Shittily, but still. Now I'm convinced that they are using it to goad me into upgrading to ad free. There's no way that they think that I am the target audience for Oprah selling weight watchers. Every. Single. Commercial break, Oprah tells me how much she loves bread. Shut the gently caress up, Oprah.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Snak posted:

Hulu is genius. They used to use their demographic data to target ads. Shittily, but still. Now I'm convinced that they are using it to goad me into upgrading to ad free. There's no way that they think that I am the target audience for Oprah selling weight watchers. Every. Single. Commercial break, Oprah tells me how much she loves bread. Shut the gently caress up, Oprah.

The same ad playing every break is why I eventually upgraded. It used to be the State Farm ad for me and I couldn't take it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's always been the same ads, but it used to be ads for cars and stuff. Now it's Oprah.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Thanks for the link :effort:

When I made my post, the thread was on the top of page 2. Y'know if you wanna talk about lack of effort

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snak posted:

Yeah, it's always been the same ads, but it used to be ads for cars and stuff. Now it's Oprah.

there were a few months where I had it trained to show me nothing but movie trailers and game ads. i started to miss the 90 second drug side effect commercials.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

there were a few months where I had it trained to show me nothing but movie trailers and game ads. i started to miss the 90 second drug side effect commercials.

Just have nangs instead... It's a winning alternative.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

During the 2012 elections It was just constant political ads for poo poo that had already passed. Like advertising for the debates 3 days after the last one happened.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I bought all the Horace and Pete eps and watched the first one. It's definitely excellent but I think I'm going to wait a bit to watch more of it because the subject matter hits a bit too close to home right now.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
For those few who watched it, MAD DOGS has not been renewed by Amazon, despite apparently being really popular.

Shawn Ryan has been talking a lot about the process on Twitter, basically saying that they always wanted a one series show, but Amazon wouldn't make it unless there was the option to run more seasons. After the season was over they thought up S2 ideas and pitched it to Amazon, Amazon didn't like it and according to Ryan "Wanted us to make a show we didn't want to make". Instead Ryan et al just decided to say no and walk away.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's interesting. Is the first season the one season Ryan wanted to make, then?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Escobarbarian posted:

That's interesting. Is the first season the one season Ryan wanted to make, then?

From what he's said on Twitter, he and Cris Cole never considered a second season until the first one was done with. So it sounds like they told the story they wanted to tell.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Snak posted:

If you refresh your page on Hulu, you go from four ads, to just one. That's my only Hulu tip.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrVenkman posted:

From what he's said on Twitter, he and Cris Cole never considered a second season until the first one was done with. So it sounds like they told the story they wanted to tell.

That fucker Reverse Terrier'd us!!!!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ravane posted:

If you refresh your page on Hulu, you go from four ads, to just one. That's my only Hulu tip.

I watch through ps4, where the number of ads is random, but it just adds them. Like I get one ad every commercial break. Some commercial breaks are 2-3 ads, which means there will be a second ad that I also see every commercial break tha has 2, and a third that will be included in the long commercial breaks. Last night it was Oprah for weight watchers and FiOS internet every single break. I don't remember what the third one was.

Edit: Hulu's first suggestion in the "something new. Something fresh." Category is Greys Anatomy. A medical drama from over ten years ago. Oh just kidding, it only has season 12. So yes, if I'm looking for something new, I will start on the 12th season.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 28, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does The Fall stay as good in the second season? I liked how weird and slow and atmospheric it was in the first season, but I'm two episodes into the second now and it's getting a little cheesy with the stalker babysitter and kidnapping victim in the trunk. I guess I'm still feeling burned from The Killing all those years ago.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Snak posted:

I watch through ps4, where the number of ads is random, but it just adds them. Like I get one ad every commercial break. Some commercial breaks are 2-3 ads, which means there will be a second ad that I also see every commercial break tha has 2, and a third that will be included in the long commercial breaks. Last night it was Oprah for weight watchers and FiOS internet every single break. I don't remember what the third one was.

Edit: Hulu's first suggestion in the "something new. Something fresh." Category is Greys Anatomy. A medical drama from over ten years ago. Oh just kidding, it only has season 12. So yes, if I'm looking for something new, I will start on the 12th season.

My sister-in-law loves the Shondaland shows and swore that Scandal and Grey's Anatomy were really good, so I've been watching both off and on for the better part of a year now. Scandal is hilarious in its escalation but Grey's Anatomy is a show about the worst loving character I've ever seen. Meredith Grey is the whiniest, most self-centered character on network television and I hope the show ends with her catching a bullet.

I put up with a trillion seasons of ER and I can barely continue on with Grey's Anatomy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There used to be an XBMC plugin for Hulu that used to have the ability to skip all ads if you set it up properly. Gotta say it was pretty glorious.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Starz/BBC's The Missing had a bone chilling ending. What a great series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A goofy running bit on Man Seeking Woman is that they'll talk about a movie or TV with a real name but then the characters will watch it and you'll hear dialog and it's some bizarre thing with the same name.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm enjoying the OJ drama for the most part but they make OJ and Rob Kardashian sound like whiney babies. Why does OJ sound like a child in every scene?

And stop loving saying JUICE.

I think it's clear Cuba Gooding Jr is intentionally playing OJ as an actual like 11 year old boy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Night Manager with Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie is loving brilliant.

BBC Drama is knocking out of the park.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
NEVER FORGET

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ABC has a Leap Dave Williams marathon all day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

The Night Manager with Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie is loving brilliant.

BBC Drama is knocking out of the park.

That's still a while out for America isn't it? And on something weird like AMC instead of BBCAmerica.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

FactsAreUseless posted:

ABC has a Leap Dave Williams marathon all day.

Isn't the marathon on USA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

That's still a while out for America isn't it? And on something weird like AMC instead of BBCAmerica.

:shrug:

Not sure...

• Locked thread