Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Terper posted:

Bravely Second is incredibly silly and I like it a lot.

Bravely Default was a fantastic game too until it wasn't. I hope they fix the latter part in the second!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This Chinese game is adorable. How's the gameplay?

The combat is all about managing cooldowns.

For the first five hours you just wait for the general ability cooldown to clear and hit a button to start an attack. Sometimes you heal, and the item use runs on the same cooldown timer, and you can only set two items to be usable in battles. There's no control over movement in battle.
Then the game finally starts throwing proper bosses at you and suddenly you also need to use magic skills like basic debuffs, regen or simply drawing attention to your tank. The AI buddies also use skills (and items) but I have no idea if I can manage their tactics.
You can also switch the battle formation on the fly (a different cooldown) which is something that changes elemental resistances and boosts party attack or defence. There's also the party order thing that affects which of your guys in particular get attack and defence bonuses.

So it goes a bit like an MMO with a skill panel, a bit like FF13 with paradigms, and a bit like Star Ocean, because the AI does whatever but is less stupid and no one calls out their moves.

The exploration is awesome, because the are no random encounters, and all side quests and main quests are marked on the map and in the journal. The journal even specifies which quests you can get now, and for which you don't meet the requirements yet. The maps also keep track of the number of treasure chests in each area and show the side bosses. The crafting system doesn't have a failure chance, but hasn't been massively useful yet, except for making money.

Hey, look a side boss! A giant flying red arse!

:smith: One-hit kills.

Oh, one more thing. Chinese is a tonal language so the VA sounds almost alien if you're not used to that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaSbtTmfP3g

From the Serpent in the Staglands studio.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just finished the prologue in Trails of Cold Steel

I like it so far but I can tell setting things up for combat (quartz, links etc) is going to confuse me later

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Terper posted:

Bravely Second is incredibly silly and I like it a lot.
How do its towns/world map compare to the first game?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

Just finished the prologue in Trails of Cold Steel

I like it so far but I can tell setting things up for combat (quartz, links etc) is going to confuse me later

no links are easy, it's literally connecting two characters who can occasionally set off a big numbers combo. When you level the links up they obtain support abilities to help each other not die.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

Cool?

This looks like a budget Shadowrun.

Very, very budget.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zereth posted:

How do its towns/world map compare to the first game?

Towns are more of the same. Literally in several cases, but I'm cool with that, 'cus I liked the towns in the first game. The world map has more to it - it's a bit... zoomed in, I guess you could say? So it fits more locations to visit. The game's pretty much Bravely Default-2, like FFX-2, in terms of scope. Lots of cool new stuff, but also lots of old things. Kinda hard to make any statement about it at this point since I only just got done with Chapter 1. It's Bravely Default But More And Sillier.

It has a pretty unique party dynamic that I don't think I've ever really seen before. They're all really goofy but in different ways - it almost feels like the group is composed of "guest" characters and the real protagonists are about to step in and bring some conflict into the group, but nope, they're all really nice and sweet people. I like it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Are some jobs more useful than in BD?

A thing that disappointed me is it seems a lot of them were just outclassed by later ones, like Knight

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Knight gave access to Dual Shields and Super Charge which was hella useful I dunno what you're on about

The only job in BD I can think of that became really outclassed was Summoner.

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 27, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Super jealous. Bravely Second will be a day one buy for me in April.

And yeah, not many classes are useless. I wasn't a big fan of summoner or the money guy but I had a Knight in my final party for the late game gauntlets using dual shields and some bp battery stuff. Hard mode really pushed you to use everything at your disposal.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Merchant had some great utility if you were underleveled thanks to Low Leverage, and your endgame damage scaled so high the -50% really didn't hurt anyway. Summoner was the only real one that got bad, thanks to not having any interesting passive abilities (other than that early DeRosa-stopping Abate Lightning) or reasons to use it as your secondary. Strong early to midgame damage though, and its newfound utility with Spellcrafting makes it better in BS, though we'll see if it holds up.

Spellcrafting is an interesting new ability. An earlygame class gives you the ability to augment your spells by spending some extra mana and a BP, and allows you to do stuff like cast the spell at the start of the turn, or give it a damage over time effect that hits all enemies, or make it do physical damage, or hit all enemies with the same name, and more. I've mostly used this on my mage, but it also has utility for a healer since you can augment, say, something like Blindna so that if you're up against a boss that blinds you, it's automatically removed at the end of the turn for several turns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

Cool?

Someones a big fan of David Hayter as Snake

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I can't believe nobody has made a Disgaea geo panel destroying calculator yet to solve what colors to put on what panel

yes I know you can just put them all on one color but come on, sometimes there's a no lifting thing or something

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Terper posted:

Merchant had some great utility if you were underleveled thanks to Low Leverage, and your endgame damage scaled so high the -50% really didn't hurt anyway. Summoner was the only real one that got bad, thanks to not having any interesting passive abilities (other than that early DeRosa-stopping Abate Lightning) or reasons to use it as your secondary. Strong early to midgame damage though, and its newfound utility with Spellcrafting makes it better in BS, though we'll see if it holds up.

Spellcrafting is an interesting new ability. An earlygame class gives you the ability to augment your spells by spending some extra mana and a BP, and allows you to do stuff like cast the spell at the start of the turn, or give it a damage over time effect that hits all enemies, or make it do physical damage, or hit all enemies with the same name, and more. I've mostly used this on my mage, but it also has utility for a healer since you can augment, say, something like Blindna so that if you're up against a boss that blinds you, it's automatically removed at the end of the turn for several turns.

That sounds pretty useful.

On a slightly different note, does the game have all the QOL features from the final BD release like being able to change encounter rate and difficulty?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

no links are easy, it's literally connecting two characters who can occasionally set off a big numbers combo. When you level the links up they obtain support abilities to help each other not die.

Ah, 'kay

Does it matter much in gameplay terms who I level links with, I just got to the first free day and I guess my options are violin dork, sword girl dork and shotgun dork, pick two

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm really good with rpg names, you see

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ciaphas posted:

i'm really good with rpg names, you see

Their links level up and improve the effectiveness of link attacks, basically (although it depends on the character). So, yes, it does matter for the gameplay, technically, but I wouldn't call it all that important.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Someones a big fan of David Hayter as Snake

You're gonna have to be more specific there, because who isn't?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

:stare:
Not sure what his deal is but that's the second time I've run into him. They're all oak hulls with cannons but he still falls to a good stabbing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

bloodychill posted:

That sounds pretty useful.

On a slightly different note, does the game have all the QOL features from the final BD release like being able to change encounter rate and difficulty?

Yup. It made it a bit easier by allowing you to change the encounter rate while on the world map by pressing R.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Don't be mean to Pana :mad:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Finally beat the stupid roadblock boss in Dungeon Travelers 2. It was stupid. I get that they're encouraging you to learn the importance of elemental resistance and canceling enemy spells but 1. I'm not going to go around grinding until everyone has wind resist equipment which may or may not randomly drop at any time and 2. spell cancelling would be great if it was in any way reliable.

Honestly winning is just a matter of praying to the RNG that you can stick Silence on her and then take out her guards and her before she recovers from silence, or that when she does recover she goes down before she can manage to fire off her stupid overpowered AOE.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I actually like that element of the Dusk games. There are no real wandering bandit types or anything besides the Lincas and the stuff you face is either wildlife (hinted to be mutated by alchemy) or Slags which are just robots that keep on keepin' on long after the apocalypse and the only reason they're a threat is because you're wandering into old places full of poo poo to loot.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

Getsuya posted:

Finally beat the stupid roadblock boss in Dungeon Travelers 2. It was stupid. I get that they're encouraging you to learn the importance of elemental resistance and canceling enemy spells but 1. I'm not going to go around grinding until everyone has wind resist equipment which may or may not randomly drop at any time and 2. spell cancelling would be great if it was in any way reliable.

Honestly winning is just a matter of praying to the RNG that you can stick Silence on her and then take out her guards and her before she recovers from silence, or that when she does recover she goes down before she can manage to fire off her stupid overpowered AOE.

From this info I have no idea which boss you are referring to. I will say it gets more manageable midgame as far as resistances go. Post game will tear you a new one though...

Scouts have a instant crit ability; crits have a chance at spell canceling too.

Also high elemental resistances prevent status effects, FYI. So if the boss has high water resist don't bother sticking silence on her.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

But really the QoL stuff and the world map and all that shouldn't be the reason you buy Bravely Second.

This should be the reason.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sad to see they did not go with Nekomancer.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

The Gentlemieu posted:

From this info I have no idea which boss you are referring to. I will say it gets more manageable midgame as far as resistances go. Post game will tear you a new one though...

Scouts have a instant crit ability; crits have a chance at spell canceling too.

Also high elemental resistances prevent status effects, FYI. So if the boss has high water resist don't bother sticking silence on her.

It was Siren. And I don't think I ever had my Assassin cancel her spell once, even with that stab move, so after a while I gave up on that and just had my Assassin use the silence stab every turn until it stuck.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Clarste posted:

Sad to see they did not go with Nekomancer.

I'd wager that's the Japanese origin and they just translated it unnecessarily.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can see why they didn't since it only really works if you know the Japanese word for cat, but then again how many people playing that game wouldn't?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As I recall it is not. It's like "cat user" or something.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Clarste posted:

As I recall it is not. It's like "cat user" or something.
It is indeed 猫使い neko tsukai, cat user. I can see why they didn't go with "nekomancer" (you would be surprised how many people play anime-as-gently caress games and totally disdain all signs of Japanese-ness) but it would have been funny :(

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Terper posted:

But really the QoL stuff and the world map and all that shouldn't be the reason you buy Bravely Second.

This should be the reason.

Fantastic.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

(you would be surprised how many people play anime-as-gently caress games and totally disdain all signs of Japanese-ness) but it would have been funny :(

i post on SA how could this surprise me

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So in the last hour or so of Shadow Hearts: From the New World I have done and/or seen the following;

• Rescued a bulimic vampire girl from Area 51
  • Met HP Lovecraft had him pull monsters out of Johnny's memories
  • Been captured by Caribbean pirates lead by a small child
  • Seen Hilda get poked with a knife the size of said small child where no knife should ever go
  • Watched Frank make a new sword by cramming a katana handle into the back end of a dead Marlin
  • Come away from the piratical adventure aboard a ghost ship with Shania getting a tramp stamp.

I love this goddamn game. Are the first two Shadown Hearts this insane? :munch:

In a way. What From the New World has is a really weird hodgepodge of ideas and concepts that are similar, but not quite like previous entries. The ideal best place for you to start with Shadow Hearts is the first; but as it stands, you should play Shadow Hearts: Covenant, as it seems to be the most user-friendly entry and it manages to keep a consistent tone while allowing wacky poo poo to occur.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That will always be my most :doh: localization gently caress-up. Suikoden's Nekobolds became Nay-Kobolds, and they didn't even have anything to do with the island aside from that they had one lovely settlement on it. Even worse was in S5, when there were Nay-Kobolds and they weren't even from Island Nations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

That will always be my most :doh: localization gently caress-up. Suikoden's Nekobolds became Nay-Kobolds, and they didn't even have anything to do with the island aside from that they had one lovely settlement on it. Even worse was in S5, when there were Nay-Kobolds and they weren't even from Island Nations.

That isn't a translation fuckup. It's a weird pun that is hard to translate. They're Nekobolds but the intent of the joke is that they are Kobolds from Nay, shortened to Neykobolds/Nekobolds and of course they are cats. They're supposed to originate from Nay thus the name.

Edit: Yeah, grabbing one of my art books, they specifically mention the Nekobold's originate from Nay Island and the entire joke is that their name is a portmanteau of Ney Island Kobold.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 28, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-Bit Scholar posted:

In a way. What From the New World has is a really weird hodgepodge of ideas and concepts that are similar, but not quite like previous entries. The ideal best place for you to start with Shadow Hearts is the first; but as it stands, you should play Shadow Hearts: Covenant, as it seems to be the most user-friendly entry and it manages to keep a consistent tone while allowing wacky poo poo to occur.

Just got to the fight against Jeb Niglas and I'm pretty certain I lost SAN points looking at that thing, jesus tapdancing christ :stare:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I really wish Shadow Hearts was playable on modern anything. I have all the discs but they're a pain to emulate, my PS2 is dead and all these conversations really make me hanker to replay them.