Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Mans posted:

Let's take a step back and appreciate EU3 for a while.

Do you remember when they added in dynamic map names in a patch as the new hotness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Westminster System posted:

Central Eurasia is known for its plains.
Quoting for new page and because :golfclap:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Cantorsdust posted:

Do you remember when they added in dynamic map names in a patch as the new hotness?

I think that was the last patch they did for EU3.

My only complaint with that is that EU3 games usually ended in giant patchworks blobs of nuttiness, so part of the fun was clicking on some random colored nation that had snaked its way from Europe to India and discovering it was Ming :v:.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gotta say, one thing that really pisses me off about EU3 (and now EU4 with region-naming I guess) is that it doesn't display a name at all until there's more than one province. Why. I get why having French North Africa stretched across one province would look retarded. So why can't it just say France.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I think one of my biggest (nerdiest) hopes for Stellaris is that you might get a power struggle/relationship similar to Babylon 5's Centauri and Narn.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

A White Guy posted:

I think that was the last patch they did for EU3.

It was the final patch for HttT, which was released after DW was announced, because up to that point HttT's latest version was a beta patch and not a proper one.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best part of EU3 was the comical amount of people who bought EU3 Complete :allears:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
me included :geno:

don't really see why Paradox doesn't just include the full game in it at this point, it's old enough it couldn't be costing them much money anyway

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ofaloaf posted:

Oldest one I got is a few patches in, since Austria was colorchanged to white, but it's the best I got:

I think this is probably a mod. I don't think France has ever been Bleu de France in vanilla.

This is a thing I am invested enough in this game series to know :negative:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think this is probably a mod. I don't think France has ever been Bleu de France in vanilla.

It looks like that when I load up the game without HttT or DW. :shrug:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I really want to know the story behind the disgusting red borders because there's no way anyone thought that looked good.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RabidWeasel posted:

I really want to know the story behind the disgusting red borders because there's no way anyone thought that looked good.
Isn't Johan one of those people that play in terrain 100% of the time?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

zedprime posted:

Pluralisation implies there's more than one.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I play in terrain at least 95% of the time...

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Freudian posted:

Pluralisation implies there's more than one.
Johan was created by mitosis.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

nutranurse posted:

I play in terrain at least 95% of the time...

Are you on the pill from limitless?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Since they went through all the effort of making the map look pretty, may as well look at it for a while and admire it.

Anyway, there is a 'new' interview for Stellaris out. I say 'new' because it's new in the sense that it didn't exist a short time ago but it also contains nothing new if you've been paying attention. The are insisting that it will be out this year though, so it'll be interesting to see how they go about separating it and HOI4; they'll need to get crackin' on those release dates if they don't want them coming out on top of each other. I'd buy them both anyway, but it's be interesting to see what would get more love since I (an most other people) can't play them both simultaneously.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 29, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Paradox games have maps with other colors than green and red?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Paradox games have maps with other colors than green and red?

Paradox games have blue, yellow, green, and white.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
We put up one of them dev diaries for Stellaris. MP owns.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Never played any multiplayer Paradox games before - previously they were too obscure for most of my friends and now I simply don't have the time to coordinate with people to set aside several hours of the day. But good on them for fixing it, I guess.

Much more eager to see what will be discussed at this weekend's presentation. Hoping we get a much more aubstantial look at the game.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

zedprime posted:

I remember when I did the Conclave stream and twitch chat was screaming "STOP PLAYING IN TERRAIN MODE!"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wonder how EU4 plays for someone with color blindness. Quite a few mapmodes have green-to-yellow-to-red color scales which wouldn't be fun to play with, I don't think?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

double nine posted:

I wonder how EU4 plays for someone with color blindness. Quite a few mapmodes have green-to-yellow-to-red color scales which wouldn't be fun to play with, I don't think?

I would guess that there's a map mod out there to fix that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

double nine posted:

The good news for color blind folks is the heatmap modes are universally awful at conveying useful info and are used to just get easy tooltip access to the numerical values you want to know about.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm not colorblind and I don't usually use those map modes either just because I don't really find them helpful.

I mean I guess someone out there might want them, but they're hardly a requirement to play the games.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
It sounds like they are really prioritizing getting Stellaris stable for multiplayer right out of the gate, which is very good. OOS errors are the worst.

I would say that about 3/4 of the time I've spent playing EU4 has been multiplayer, but it's all been basically co-op with a few people. I know they've been adding stuff like score and victory cards to eu4 for competitive mp, but I hope they consider people who are playing mp in non adversarial ways too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stellaris might be the first paradox game I bother trying multiplayer out in.
I just can't ever wrap my head around real time multiplayer. In paradox games I'm constantly going between max speed and pause or low speed or medium, basically all the speeds. If the game is running to fast I'll gently caress up and miss things, if it's running too slow it's wasting my time, but when I want things fast might be when someone wants it slow. I'm just flat out not interested in playing a paradox game at some compromise consistent low speed where I spend 90% of it waiting. With a turn based game if nothing is going on every can just end their turn and the game's pace ends up matching what's going on.

With paradox multiplayer games can you set it so the game goes as slow as the slowest person's speed? So it's like everyone personally sets what speed they want like in single player, and it just goes at the slowest speed. If everyone wants to fast forward the game can shoot forward, but if a couple players are having a war, it can go slower? Something like that would seem ideal to me.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Stellaris might be the first paradox game I bother trying multiplayer out in.
I just can't ever wrap my head around real time multiplayer. In paradox games I'm constantly going between max speed and pause or low speed or medium, basically all the speeds. If the game is running to fast I'll gently caress up and miss things, if it's running too slow it's wasting my time, but when I want things fast might be when someone wants it slow. I'm just flat out not interested in playing a paradox game at some compromise consistent low speed where I spend 90% of it waiting. With a turn based game if nothing is going on every can just end their turn and the game's pace ends up matching what's going on.

With paradox multiplayer games can you set it so the game goes as slow as the slowest person's speed? So it's like everyone personally sets what speed they want like in single player, and it just goes at the slowest speed. If everyone wants to fast forward the game can shoot forward, but if a couple players are having a war, it can go slower? Something like that would seem ideal to me.

The key is to embrace failure. In single player you pause constantly and min max everything. You want your armies to arrive at precisely the correct time for maximum impact. In multiplayer you have no pause button so you flail about trying to do as much as you can. Armies will inevitably be thrown into the meat grinder and you will lose multiples of them. Any time you become too big your neighbors will try to crush you and you will be set upon militarily, economically and culturally. Once you accept that multiplayer is nothing like single player you will be ready for it.

Chaos reigns.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Or you could spend 90% of the time talking poo poo in chat.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

In fact EU4 multiplayer, especially the Paradox stream ones, and single player have a lot of parallels with Dominions 4 multiplayer with regards to pubbie vs goons mentalities. If you join most pubbie games the first 40 turns will be spent turtling up, researching spells and building armies that are just right, forging NAP's and alliances and being generally passive. A goon match is loving cutthroat and the second a neighbor senses weakness he will pounce at your throat and drag you kicking and screaming into the void, this usually happens on turn 3.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Pretty much strategy games in a nutshell, dating back at least as far as Warcraft 1 MP 'no rush' matches.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's me, I'm the pubbie that just wants to turtle up and has actually no strategy or "eye on the prize".
If I ever did a paradox game multiplayer it would be with non-competitive friends and we'd probably mostly co-op it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

It's me, I'm the pubbie that just wants to turtle up and has actually no strategy or "eye on the prize".
If I ever did a paradox game multiplayer it would be with non-competitive friends and we'd probably mostly co-op it.

That's fine, do what you have the most fun with. The caveat is that if you don't enforce a minimum speed setting and no pauses in a Paradox game, you are going to be playing for 40 hours and then abandon it by the time the reformation hits.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

That's fine, do what you have the most fun with. The caveat is that if you don't enforce a minimum speed setting and no pauses in a Paradox game, you are going to be playing for 40 hours and then abandon it by the time the reformation hits.

The Goon EU4 game runs at speed 2, very rarely bursts of speed 3, with no pausing ever. We play for 4 hours a week, with a rehost or two in the middle, and will get through about 35 years every session: poo poo-talking, keeping an eye on other wars, and diplo take up some time.

Also diplomacy-wise: I'd say goon EU4 games have a very Napoleonic/congress of Vienna style diplomacy. There's alot of making alliances with your enemies enemy, coalitioning leading powers, and basically people trying to keep each other in check. This leads to betrayals, large hellwars (each person joins a war because their rival joined the other side, spread over the whole of europe and ME), and some ruthless crushing of states without good allies.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Baronjutter posted:

This is fun. Nothing wrong with playing Muscovy and France and seeing if you can each conquer your starting continent by game end. I actually think it's superior to games like Civilisation where there's a definite winner and all other players lose, there's less pressure when everyone can do well.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

nothing to seehere posted:

The Goon EU4 game runs at speed 2, very rarely bursts of speed 3, with no pausing ever. We play for 4 hours a week, with a rehost or two in the middle, and will get through about 35 years every session: poo poo-talking, keeping an eye on other wars, and diplo take up some time.

Also diplomacy-wise: I'd say goon EU4 games have a very Napoleonic/congress of Vienna style diplomacy. There's alot of making alliances with your enemies enemy, coalitioning leading powers, and basically people trying to keep each other in check. This leads to betrayals, large hellwars (each person joins a war because their rival joined the other side, spread over the whole of europe and ME), and some ruthless crushing of states without good allies.

Everyone gets bored and then every single war turns into a hellwar, though.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
But we must all remember that the Imperial City of East Frisia and its dominions always wins. Long Live the Empire! Until that sucker Emperor removed my Imperial City status..... Well Elderbark got what Elderbark deserved :argh:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I really hope we have the ability to mod in starts for multiplayer and single player games. One of the ideas I'd like to be able to do for multiplayer is having several people playing factions of humans, starting out in the solar system, possibly either fighting over that, or having to abandon it because earth's all doomed or such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just want to say thank you to the devs for putting the 'Continue game' button into the EU4 menu screen. It cheers me up everytime knowing I no longer have to go hunting through menus to find my save game.